Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: StickfordMariner, January 16, 2015, 3:32pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30853827

Could it be ???
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 16, 2015, 3:48pm; Reply: 1
[YOUTUBE]McEi5UePkjs[/YOUTUBE]
Posted by: RoboCod, January 16, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 2
"I believe everyone has a shelf-life at any football club," said United head coach Michael Appleton.
"We are in agreement that he needs a fresh challenge and he will hopefully tie up a deal at a new club."

Sounds very much along the lines of what Hursty said in the GET, the player was told of his release rather quickly and he's taking it and any new move in before deciding on his future.
I reckon it's him.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 16, 2015, 4:02pm; Reply: 3
Has he got a brother Harry.............

.......we could do with a bit of magic.   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 16, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 4
I thought we was getting someone on loan ?
Posted by: StickfordMariner, January 16, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 5
Nothing has been said about a loan move :/
Posted by: RoboCod, January 16, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 6
Agreed terms was the phrase used. Now waiting on the player.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 16, 2015, 4:26pm; Reply: 7
Disappointed, had no idea who he was, then saw the Youtube link to Liverpool and I thought great till I realised he was playing for Havant. At present he is an unwanted player at a struggling league 2 club :-/
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, January 16, 2015, 4:38pm; Reply: 8
It's not him. He has gone to AFC Wimbledon
Posted by: ginnywings, January 16, 2015, 4:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Disappointed, had no idea who he was, then saw the Youtube link to Liverpool and I thought great till I realised he was playing for Havant. At present he is an unwanted player at a struggling league 2 club :-/

And we are a conference side looking for league players who will drop to this level. He's about the level of player we can afford and attract nowadays.  :-/
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 16, 2015, 4:38pm; Reply: 10
it makes sense, Hurst will have seen him playing against us in the FA Cup game

edit: ah...just read about him off to AFC Wimbledon
Posted by: gtfc98, January 16, 2015, 4:44pm; Reply: 11
http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/neal-swoops-for-winger-2208162.aspx
Posted by: RoboCod, January 16, 2015, 4:54pm; Reply: 12
Could still have been him and he's chosen another League club over the charming and quaint BananaDrama league.
Posted by: Maringer, January 16, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from RoboCod
Could still have been him and he's chosen another League club over the charming and quaint BananaDrama league.

Not to mention the fact that it is another League club around 60 miles from Kingsmeadow.

You'd think he'd be really keen to join a non-league team situated 200 miles north of his previous club.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 16, 2015, 5:34pm; Reply: 14
Lindon meikle.
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 16, 2015, 6:20pm; Reply: 15
It makes me laugh when people say "he can't get in a struggling league 2 side" or "his goal scoring record isn't great" when the player is playing at a higher level.

If the player was doing either of the above would there be any chance of them coming here?
Posted by: Garth, January 16, 2015, 6:22pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Lindon meikle.

Source, or just a guess Jonnyboy?
Posted by: TAGG, January 16, 2015, 6:40pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from RoboCod
Agreed terms was the phrase used. Now waiting on the player.

'Now waiting on the player' seems like we have been hanging about for whoever it is to make up his mind for a few days now.
IMO thats to long, not committed so tell him to intercourse off now.  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 16, 2015, 7:11pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from jimgtfc
It makes me laugh when people say "he can't get in a struggling league 2 side" or "his goal scoring record isn't great" when the player is playing at a higher level.

If the player was doing either of the above would there be any chance of them coming here?

There are two possible answers to that point.

1. go for players who are doing exceptionally well in the league below or

2. cough up the cash to get someone half decent from L2

Before we get into the 'Grimsby is at the end of the world and why would anyone south of Watford come here and .....' has anyone been to Fleetwood recently? Now that IS at the end of the world. Its football team just happened to get somebody with cash to spend and they spent it and look where they are now. Maybe our owner hasn't got that sort of cash but he says we have a good budget so let's spend it attracting some quality and not yet another York City reserve.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 16, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Garth

Source, or just a guess Jonnyboy?

got told by couple different people so i think something in it.

Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 16, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 20

Before we get into the 'Grimsby is at the end of the world and why would anyone south of Watford come here and .....' has anyone been to Fleetwood recently? Now that IS at the end of the world. Its football team just happened to get somebody with cash to spend and they spent it and look where they are now. Maybe our owner hasn't got that sort of cash but he says we have a good budget so let's spend it attracting some quality and not yet another York City reserve.

It's just over an hour's drive to Manchester, Blackburn, Bolton. Wigan, Liverpool, Oldham, Rochdale etc etc...

Posted by: mariner91, January 16, 2015, 8:03pm; Reply: 21

It's just over an hour's drive to Manchester, Blackburn, Bolton. Wigan, Liverpool, Oldham, Rochdale etc etc...

What more could you want?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 16, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 22

So you think Fleetwood are / have signed promotion winning teams because they can drive to Rochdale in an hour?
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 16, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 23

I agree about looking at players lower down the football pyramid, some real gems to be found down there, sadly I don't think the powers that be are always brave enough to take that gamble, and see players who are playing at a higher level or players who have succeeded in the conference as a safer option.

My point was basically that players who are performing well at a higher level probably won't fancy dropping to our league. It's the same story up and down the leagues, and before anyone mentions money we can't offer 2k or 3k a week like the Forest Greens of this world.

As for 'half decent players' I think we've had more than our fair share of those over the years.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 16, 2015, 8:28pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from jimgtfc

As for 'half decent players' I think we've had more than our fair share of those over the years.

Yes, maybe not my best choice of phrase! ;D

I was using it to mean more than decent, but I agree with you we have seen more than enough of the other sort.

Posted by: BIGChris, January 16, 2015, 8:32pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from jimgtfc

I agree about looking at players lower down the football pyramid, some real gems to be found down there, sadly I don't think the powers that be are always brave enough to take that gamble, and see players who are playing at a higher level or players who have succeeded in the conference as a safer option.

My point was basically that players who are performing well at a higher level probably won't fancy dropping to our league. It's the same story up and down the leagues, and before anyone mentions money we can't offer 2k or 3k a week like the Forest Greens of this world.

i think one of our major problems during our latter years in the FL was that we seemed to want to bring in guys from  higher divisions. The likes of Peter Sweeney, Peter Beagrie, Barry Conlon etc joined, but  they were dropping down for a pay day and, in their minds at least, had nothing to prove.

I remain of the view that you need a few top pro's who do the right things off and on the pitch and then add onto them younger players with desire to get up the leagues, to prove clubs wrong who may have released them. Character and desire will take you a long way at this level provided you have the basic ability to go with it
Posted by: Garth, January 16, 2015, 8:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from BIGChris

i think one of our major problems during our latter years in the FL was that we seemed to want to bring in guys from  higher divisions. The likes of Peter Sweeney, Peter Beagrie, Barry Conlon etc joined, but  they were dropping down for a pay day and, in their minds at least, had nothing to prove.

I remain of the view that you need a few top pro's who do the right things off and on the pitch and then add onto them younger players with desire to get up the leagues, to prove clubs wrong who may have released them. Character and desire will take you a long way at this level provided you have the basic ability to go with it

Someone like Southwell
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 16, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from BIGChris

Completely agree about finding the right blend of experience and younger hungry players. Signing any player is a gamble I suppose, and for every Sweeney and Beagrie we've signed, there's a Connell and a Disley.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 16, 2015, 10:53pm; Reply: 28

Not that close to Hull or Scunthorpe though is it.
Posted by: StickfordMariner, January 17, 2015, 8:47am; Reply: 29
or York
Posted by: Maringer, January 17, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 30

So you think Fleetwood are / have signed promotion winning teams because they can drive to Rochdale in an hour?

How many League clubs are around an hour's drive from Fleetwood?

Now, compare this figure to see how many League clubs are within an hour's drive of Cleethorpes.

There are a lot of clubs in the north-west and there aren't many around here so it seems pretty obvious that clubs around there have an easier job being able to attract players. This has always been the case.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 17, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 31
And the likes of forest, derby, Leicester and Sheffield clubs aren't that far. The problem is, there may be closer links to clubs in and around them.

Agree with BC about the mercenaries from leagues above (looking at you beagrie). No wonder clubs struggle financially when a half ar5ed performance costs you £xxxx each WEEK.
Posted by: Rick12, January 17, 2015, 12:36pm; Reply: 32

Like to think though Ron with the history of our club we can still attract some decent players.I know its all about money and we are restrained by how much we can pay though I still feel our history gives us a edge over some others at this level and even league 2
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:48pm