Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 12, 2015, 5:25pm
Planning permission applied for 12000 capacity stadium costing 18 million quid tbf the graphics look nice (rant)
Posted by: gtfc98, January 12, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 1
Yeh it looks good. the illegitimates.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 12, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 2
They have what we don't. a dynamic chairman who is making things happen.
Posted by: acko338, January 12, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 3
And a forward thinking council !
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 12, 2015, 5:55pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Marinerz93

Err.............Nah don't think so anything that would provide a viable exit strategy would be pursued if you ask me just a thought.

Posted by: Marinerz93, January 12, 2015, 6:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Err.............Nah don't think so anything that would provide a viable exit strategy would be pursued if you ask me just a thought.

Forgive me, I am quite tired, can you expand that in laymen terms.
Posted by: denni266, January 12, 2015, 6:49pm; Reply: 6
they have a manager aswell , something we should seriously think about getting
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 12, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 7
GY council should hang their heads in shame . GTFC are a pillar of the community and have been for 130 years , bringing hundreds of thousands of people together over this period , yet can't even help find the club 20 odd acres for their future .
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 12, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Marinerz93

I think that's pretty hard on Fenty myself. He could be blamed for many things but it's the councuil that needs to take the blame where the stadium is concerned, Fenty is putting up proposals, the council are not backing it.... they seem to be holding the area back.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 12, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MarinerWY

I think that's pretty hard on Fenty myself. He could be blamed for many things but it's the councuil that needs to take the blame where the stadium is concerned, Fenty is putting up proposals, the council are not backing it.... they seem to be holding the area back.

Seems to me that NELC and Fenty want to blame each other on this.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 12, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

I dont understand what you are getting at.

From where I am standing Scunthorpe seem a club on the up thanks to an energetic (not in changing the floodlight bulbs sort of way) and rich chairman who has the nous and influence to get things moving - why didnt he come here :B
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 12, 2015, 8:13pm; Reply: 11

I dont understand what you are getting at.

From where I am standing Scunthorpe seem a club on the up thanks to an energetic (not in changing the floodlight bulbs sort of way) and rich chairman who has the nous and influence to get things moving - why didnt he come here :B

Probably didn't want to pay 3 million over the odds....
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 12, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from MarinerWY

Quoted from Marinerz93

Is Fenty the Chairman, when did that happen, I thought the current chair was vacant, hence my statement.

I do agree in some way that GTFC council are part to blame but not building on our successes at Wembley was GTFC's biggest mistake, that Neweel and Woods.
Posted by: barralad, January 12, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Marinerz93

Is Fenty the Chairman, when did that happen, I thought the current chair was vacant, hence my statement.

I do agree in some way that GTFC council are part to blame but not building on our successes at Wembley was GTFC's biggest mistake, that Neweel and Woods.[/quote]

I'd hope Fenty isn't in the firing line for that particular oversight... :-/
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 12, 2015, 11:24pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from barralad

I do agree in some way that GTFC council are part to blame but not building on our successes at Wembley was GTFC's biggest mistake, that Neweel and Woods

I'd hope Fenty isn't in the firing line for that particular oversight... :-.

Was he Chairman then, I don't remember any embarrassing dancing or being carried on the shoulders of anyone  ;)
Posted by: barralad, January 12, 2015, 11:25pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MarinerWY

Everything I've read in the press suggests that the Council are fully behind this project?

IMO the council-run by De Freitas's mates were wholly responsible for the crash and burn of the Great Coates project-all for a few votes....
Posted by: barralad, January 12, 2015, 11:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Marinerz93

I'd hope Fenty isn't in the firing line for that particular oversight... :-/

Was he Chairman then, I don't remember any embarrassing dancing or being carried on the shoulders of anyone  ;)[/quote]

He definitely wasn't. Didn't Huxford and co. take over under bad feelings from the great Bill Carr and co. promised the earth and delivered Lenny Lawrence and a Chinese international?
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 12, 2015, 11:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

Was he Chairman then, I don't remember any embarrassing dancing or being carried on the shoulders of anyone  ;)

He definitely wasn't. Didn't Huxford and co. take over under bad feelings from the great Bill Carr and co. promised the earth and delivered Lenny Lawrence and a Chinese international?[/quote]

Ah, those were the days, promotions and real cup competitions, I might put a couple of DVD's on.
Posted by: newfootballer, January 13, 2015, 9:24am; Reply: 18
Quoted from MarinerWY

I certainly know that is true regarding the Council, I have been there and seen it myself there is a genuine lack of support coming in Grimsby Towns direction regarding the permission to build a new ground.
The lack of support hopefully is beginning to change I await this new year with hope that certain people will go and back Town further.
After all Scunthorpe are now planning there second new ground in about fifteen years,they can see  that you cannot stand still regarding new football grounds.

Dave Boylen

Posted by: newfootballer, January 13, 2015, 9:31am; Reply: 19
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
GY council should hang their heads in shame . GTFC are a pillar of the community and have been for 130 years , bringing hundreds of thousands of people together over this period , yet can't even help find the club 20 odd acres for their future .

Well said,could not agree with you more
Dave Boylen

Posted by: diehardmariner, January 13, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 20
I think Fenty's played his part in our decline through the leagues and our subsequent stagnation in this league.

Blaming him for the fact we're still at Blundell Park is unfair though.  That blame lies directly at the foot of those previously in power within NELC.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 13, 2015, 12:22pm; Reply: 21
minutes from the recent council meeting regarding our stadium are here if anyone fancies reading them.: http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/committees/committees.aspx?commid=10&meetid=2366
Posted by: moosey_club, January 13, 2015, 1:25pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
minutes from the recent council meeting regarding our stadium are here if anyone fancies reading them.: http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/committees/committees.aspx?commid=10&meetid=2366

In a nutshell;
Mr Oxby - declares an interest as a season ticket holder.
Petitions will be considered by the planning committee -  Therefore signing a pro stadium petition could be a key factor to counter the anti stadium one being drummed up by Cllr Defreitas

It would seem the point of contention for the anti stadium protestors so far is;
1. upkeep of greenbelt land seperating Weelsby Ave from the development site...which i dont believe is actually part of the development as that is the flower meadow between the old council depot and the Crem car park ( and strangely enough the council allowed a temporary road to be built across that a short while ago while the (Wintringham/Oasis) acadamy was being built so it cant be that precious...
2. potential negative effect on house prices....which as far as i am aware has fck all to do with planning processes
Posted by: realist, January 13, 2015, 1:39pm; Reply: 23
What a load of tosh it is continually blaming the council for the failure to get a new ground built. The fault lies with those running the club. If they had planned financially and used more of their own money a new stand alone ground would have been built ages ago. It is the need for and the size and scope of the enabling development that causes all the problems.
hurst and fenty out
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 13, 2015, 2:22pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from realist
What a load of tosh it is continually blaming the council for the failure to get a new ground built. The fault lies with those running the club. If they had planned financially and used more of their own money a new stand alone ground would have been built ages ago. It is the need for and the size and scope of the enabling development that causes all the problems.
hurst and fenty out

This is the big difference between our various proposals and those at other clubs.

If the proposition is planned,funded,an asset to the community and in line with what the council want then surely it wouldnt be a problem would it?

One has to wonder whether we do our homework and strategic planning properly, and/or could it be that Fenty manages to alienate those who have the power to say yes? Then of course we havent the money needed and have to rely on other factors which change in accordance to economic circumstances.

Who knows, but with Scunthorpe about to have new ground number 2 you have to query why we havent got further with a new stadium.  
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 13, 2015, 3:11pm; Reply: 25
If a football club and a council cannot agree on a new football stadium in the times we live in then they all need putting on the dole the inept wage stranglers.

for christ sake the council should be ashamed of the pathetic way it tries to put obstacle after obstacle in the way and stop a town from moving on and getting in to the current way football and life operates.

its the year 2015 , we aint in 1995 anymore. chicken wings anyone ?
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 13, 2015, 3:46pm; Reply: 26
It doesn't matter if Fenty (or whoever was previously pushing forward the plans for the stadium) is absolutely hated by the council.

The stadium would be a community asset, just like the club is.  The fact those who have rejected that notion had the audacity to claim they were acting in the best interests of NELC is the biggest shame.  
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 13, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 27
I think the biggest two's up at Fenty / GTFC is the Bradley pitches development.  

We know this council does what it wants without consultation, I just don't understand how they get away with wasting our money on their projects.
Posted by: realist, January 13, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from jonnyboy82
If a football club and a council cannot agree on a new football stadium in the times we live in then they all need putting on the dole the inept wage stranglers.

[/s]

I agree we must hold the councillors to account at the elections but also get rid of the real villain Fenty
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 13, 2015, 3:53pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from realist

I agree we must hold the councillors to account at the elections but also get rid of the real villain Fenty

Villian? failure, yes, Villian?
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 13, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 30
[img]http://the365effect.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/The-Villain.png[/img]
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 13, 2015, 4:54pm; Reply: 31
You can blame Fenty for lots of things but preventing building a new stadium is definitely NOT one of them. If it was up to Fenty we would have been playing at Great coates by now. The blame of that one lays squarely at the councils feet.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 13, 2015, 5:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Marinerz93

Villian? failure, yes, Villian?

Not a villain in the murderous/trecherous/bond film type, but I think we all know what villain in this context means.
Posted by: barralad, January 13, 2015, 7:39pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from realist
hurst and fenty out

I have no idea how much a new stadium would have cost in the mid 90s when all of this was first mooted but, a fair few of the early new ground developments were at least partially funded by the sale of the old site-including Scunthorpe. B.P. is worth nowhere near the amount required then or now to fund the building of a new ground. Clubs such as Donny and Coventry relied heavily on the local authority for more than developmental support but I for one wouldn't really want to go down the road of moving into a ground that GTFC don't own. You only have to look at the ridiculous situation at Coventry to see the problems of playing in a ground owned by a subsidiary of the local authority.
Most new grounds have some sort of enabling developments around them. My favourite example is Bolton
I can only think of Darlington's ground that was built without support from outside businesses or the local authority and we all know what happened there!
I don't really understand what you mean by "planned financially" but the club must have paid out a considerable sum on the Great Coates debacle in legal fees if nothing else.
You seem to be saying that Fenty should have just financed the whole project if I'm reading it right. What happens if someone doesn't have the wherewithal to do that? Are we condemned to stay at B.P. for ever.
Of course it could be just another excuse for a rant at the major shareholder... :-/
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 13, 2015, 7:46pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from barralad

I have no idea how much a new stadium would have cost in the mid 90s when all of this was first mooted but, a fair few of the early new ground developments were at least partially funded by the sale of the old site-including Scunthorpe. B.P. is worth nowhere near the amount required then or now to fund the building of a new ground. Clubs such as Donny and Coventry relied heavily on the local authority for more than developmental support but I for one wouldn't really want to go down the road of moving into a ground that GTFC don't own. You only have to look at the ridiculous situation at Coventry to see the problems of playing in a ground owned by a subsidiary of the local authority.
Most new grounds have some sort of enabling developments around them. My favourite example is Bolton
I can only think of Darlington's ground that was built without support from outside businesses or the local authority and we all know what happened there!
I don't really understand what you mean by "planned financially" but the club must have paid out a considerable sum on the Great Coates debacle in legal fees if nothing else.
You seem to be saying that Fenty should have just financed the whole project if I'm reading it right. What happens if someone doesn't have the wherewithal to do that? Are we condemned to stay at B.P. for ever.
Of course it could be just another excuse for a rant at the major shareholder... :-/

Agree with most of that Barra. The only issue I have is that our MS (major shareholder) seems better at antagonising people rather than getting them onside.
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 13, 2015, 11:11pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from barralad

Everything I've read in the press suggests that the Council are fully behind this project?

IMO the council-run by De Freitas's mates were wholly responsible for the crash and burn of the Great Coates project-all for a few votes....

Yeah I was more talking about the Great Coates project than the current one.

Although I haven't read much that gives me the impression that the council are fully behind it. Nor that they are against it either, the impression I get is at least they are giving it the time of day so far, but it's very early days to see what their response is. Although I haven't heard a lot recently so might have missed some new developments.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 4:12pm