Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, January 10, 2015, 5:15pm
bloody cold! game that was boring and i wish i hadnt bothered, Gateshead didnt want to win, and we did little to win, do feel we should have had a pen! not helped by a very poor referee who looked way out of his depth. was good entertainment in the upper findus in the 2nd half giving grief to baxter but that says it all about the game! why on earth we couldnt agree to ET i dont know but couldnt care less now if we win or lose on wednesday! UTM

MOM toto
Posted by: Sigone, January 10, 2015, 5:19pm; Reply: 1
Extra time...Er no thanks...bored out of mind and so cold... Both sets of players deserve a replay for being pants.
Posted by: LH, January 10, 2015, 5:20pm; Reply: 2
£10, two hours of my valuable time and three toes to frostbite I've lost to that today! We're in the draw for round three though so Man Utd or Chelsea please! Oh wait....
Posted by: misterx, January 10, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 3
I have to quote a little boy around 4 years old on leaving BP......'that was the worsest game I have seen'....it made me smile ... A supporter of the future....hopefully  :)
Posted by: RoboCod, January 10, 2015, 5:27pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from misterx
I have to quote a little boy around 4 years old on leaving BP......'that was the worsest game I have seen'....it made me smile ... A supporter of the future....hopefully  :)

"It's 'worst', son....the word is 'worst'. Rhymes with 'Hurst'" the father didn't say.
Posted by: DocTower, January 10, 2015, 5:27pm; Reply: 5
Missed game because not well , very pleased , as I listened to it on the radio . Proud to be a Grimsby Town supporter but ashamed at what they have done to it .  Even the commentary  said it was bad .
Posted by: Neilo83, January 10, 2015, 5:31pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Hagrid
bloody cold! game that was boring and i wish i hadnt bothered, Gateshead didnt want to win, and we did little to win, do feel we should have had a pen! not helped by a very poor referee who looked way out of his depth. was good entertainment in the upper findus in the 2nd half giving grief to baxter but that says it all about the game! why on earth we couldnt agree to ET i dont know but couldnt care less now if we win or lose on wednesday! UTM

MOM toto

Says alot really doesnt it, hurst *****ABUSE REMOVED******. you've clearly shown that u cant take this club any further then what u have..
Posted by: Maringer, January 10, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 7
Brass monkeys again today.

A 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 formation which left us very narrow and we didn't really create enough chances. They had the best two efforts in the first half (following sloppy defending), but McKeown made a couple of saves with a clearance off the line following the second. Arnold (much improved over the past couple of games) fluffed our best chance of the first half after a decent break. Oh, the ref chickened out of giving us a penalty in the first half when it looked certain that Brown had been fouled.

We were the better team in the second half, Pearson had a header cleared off the line early on and Arnold had an effort saved. Other than that, no chances of great note for either side. We mixed up the odd bit of good play with some of the usual rubbish passes.

Early days, I realise, but Palmer doesn't look like he'll be firing us to promotion this season! One chance in the first half which he didn't really get anything on but otherwise, didn't achieve much.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 5:38pm; Reply: 8
no need for the over analysis.

its simple ,we were rubbish .

same old excrement served up.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 10, 2015, 5:42pm; Reply: 9
Thanks for the report maringer , glad I didn't go !

Jonnhyboy very informative .

UTM
Posted by: LH, January 10, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 10
Someone gives a report of the game and gets two crosses.
Someone who didn't go to the game puts up their "expert" analysis and gets three ticks.

Fishy logic.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 10, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 11
the 3 in central midfield gave us more of the ball and stopped Gateshead playing. Disley was very good and Clay decent too imo. Brown? Ran around but continually made the wrong decision. Held it when he should have passed and too often tried Hollywood passes and gave it away. IMO he should have been replaced after an hour with Paddy but not on 85mins!

Whilst the 3 in central mid gave us more control we lacked width. You have to have your full backs prepared to provide it and although Magnay tried, it was clear he was on his 'wrong side and we lack balance. Parslow is a centre back, not a particually good one imo but a centre back nonetheless. What he isnt is an attacking full back. He looks the most uncomfortable on the ball in our entire squad and you know if he does receive the ball he simply turns back and passes it safely 5 yards away. It gives us no threat whatsoever and we lose momentum.

Toto was outstanding defensively. The man was unbeatable and his strength and timing were excellent. His distribution wasnt but i can live with that in the 5th tier.

The new lad? OK but perhaps doing him a diservice if i say I can never see him getting me on the edge of my seat. Pitmann didnt offer much else when he came on.

Arnold who appalled me in the Macc game worked hard enough. He played in the free role behind the front 2. Nielson would have run riot in that role.

The penalty appeal? Not for me. Brown nipped in front of the defender and threw himself to the ground in a half hearted attempt to con the ref.

Martin Allen watched about an hour before leaving. Not sure what he would have made of it other than ordering his southern softies leggings and new gloves?

Subs were a waste of time. Paddy got 5 mins and Mackreth 1. No point whatsoever imo
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jonnyboy82

But you didn't go did you?

Posted by: gtfc82, January 10, 2015, 5:45pm; Reply: 13
We were awful, they were awful! Hurst wastes the chance to give fringe players some game time! Ridiculous subs in the 85th and 90th minutes! It was almost like he wanted a replay!
We'll be lucky if Barnet don't murder us next week!
Going nowhere with Hurst!  :-/
Posted by: Garth, January 10, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 14
Two poor teams running around trying to keep warm, that's it, our keeper was the busyist
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 5:48pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

no thank god.

trust commentary and john cockerill words of "quite dire" though as enough ta.

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 5:50pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LH
Someone gives a report of the game and gets two crosses.
Someone who didn't go to the game puts up their "expert" analysis and gets three ticks.

Fishy logic.

It is because a lot of the posters on here are complete c0cks!

John Fenty had to leave the forums because of them and they want more and more 'true fans and supporters' to stop posting: Scunny and Lincoln fans really I suppose, or as I said in the first sentence 'complete c0cks'.

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 5:52pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jonnyboy82

no thank god.

trust commentary and john cockerill words of "quite dire" though as enough ta.

But you came onto the thread to disrupt and be negative: why mate?

Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 5:55pm; Reply: 18

John Fenty had to leave the forums because of them and they want more and more 'true fans and supporters' to stop posting: Scunny and Lincoln fans really I suppose, or as I said in the first sentence 'complete c0cks'.

Are you included in that group ?
woof woof.
Posted by: oldun, January 10, 2015, 5:56pm; Reply: 19
Nothing much to warm us up today in difficult conditions. We had more of the play going forward but could not carve out many decent chances. Arnold looked the most likely and had most attempts on goal. We are just too slow to get the ball into the attackers. Playing square or backwards passes. Our new Andy Carroll look alike showed the odd good touch, came close to getting one of his trademark close range finishes which was scrambled away. Looked a bit lost in the first half, but put himself about a bit more in the second half. Pearson came closest to breaking the deadlock but their defender was in the right place to clear his header. Good to have Toto back.  Putting subs on in the 85th and 90th mins, what is all that about? Finally don't get me going about Parslow .
So a replay we could well do without.
Posted by: barralad, January 10, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from BIGChris
the 3 in central midfield gave us more of the ball and stopped Gateshead playing. Disley was very good and Clay decent too imo. Brown? Ran around but continually made the wrong decision. Held it when he should have passed and too often tried Hollywood passes and gave it away. IMO he should have been replaced after an hour with Paddy but not on 85mins!

Whilst the 3 in central mid gave us more control we lacked width. You have to have your full backs prepared to provide it and although Magnay tried, it was clear he was on his 'wrong side and we lack balance. Parslow is a centre back, not a particually good one imo but a centre back nonetheless. What he isnt is an attacking full back. He looks the most uncomfortable on the ball in our entire squad and you know if he does receive the ball he simply turns back and passes it safely 5 yards away. It gives us no threat whatsoever and we lose momentum.

Toto was outstanding defensively. The man was unbeatable and his strength and timing were excellent. His distribution wasnt but i can live with that in the 5th tier.

The new lad? OK but perhaps doing him a diservice if i say I can never see him getting me on the edge of my seat. Pitmann didnt offer much else when he came on.

Arnold who appalled me in the Macc game worked hard enough. He played in the free role behind the front 2. Nielson would have run riot in that role.

The penalty appeal? Not for me. Brown nipped in front of the defender and threw himself to the ground in a half hearted attempt to con the ref.

Martin Allen watched about an hour before leaving. Not sure what he would have made of it other than ordering his southern softies leggings and new gloves?

Subs were a waste of time. Paddy got 5 mins and Mackreth 1. No point whatsoever imo

Cheers for the balanced review mate. Wonder why Neilson didn't at least make the bench
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 21

Calling me a muppet helps our conversation greatly doesn't it?

Posted by: oldun, January 10, 2015, 5:59pm; Reply: 22
Neilson was injured. Spoke to Aswad at halftime, not pleased to be left out but had some decent banter with a few fans
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 10, 2015, 5:59pm; Reply: 23

This !

I say it when we play away and people manage to comment on the performance !!

The wind played a major part, Arnold is a wimp, Toto very good today.

Palmer looked ok
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 6:00pm; Reply: 24

No i came on to be honest.

we were crap, what do you want me to say ?

i really think the fishy has some kind of delusion spell on it.

you cant say something was good if it wasnt.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 6:01pm; Reply: 25

Calling me a muppet helps our conversation greatly doesn't it?

Err didnt you call people "c0cks" ?

jesus christ.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 10, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 26
Good report from BC but if we play with no width it's quite obvious Palmer will struggle to get the sort of service that would suit him truth is we don't have a decent winger in the side BIB,BIG,BIG error imho.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 10, 2015, 6:07pm; Reply: 27
Why bother reading views from people who actually went to the match when you can learn all you need to know from muppets who heard someone say something on the radio.jeez, no wonder fenty left the fishy
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 10, 2015, 6:08pm; Reply: 28

It's desperately sad to see some people totally blind to poor performances and seemingly happy to see them continue.

Fans aren't 'complete cocks' for not being happy with seeing 7 wins in 14 home games. They're also not complete cocks for moaning when they've spent £18 to see the same old negative dross they see every single week.

In fact for me the complete cocks are the ones with the nerve to question why fans dare to be upset when the performances on the pitch are so spineless and boring.
Posted by: Maringer, January 10, 2015, 6:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Actually, we were a lot better than against Macclesfield and BIGChris is quite right that Toto improved things at the back a great deal with his extra pace.

Oops! There I go again, talking about the game you didn't bother to go to watch yet still slagged off the team in any case. What am I like, eh?

Not like you, thankfully.

Enjoy your evening.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 6:10pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano
Why bother reading views from people who actually went to the match when you can learn all you need to know from muppets who heard someone say something on the radio.jeez, no wonder fenty left the fishy

blah blah blah..

#fentyconspiracy

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Err didnt you call people "c0cks" ?

jesus christ.

Yeah, people like you.

People who would rather see GTFC fail and say 'I told you so': than those of us that want us to succeed, even if we have reservations about how the club is currently run or managed. Being negative in every post just helps knockers carry on in the same vain.

Just support 'YOUR' team or leave the Fishy and GTFC in general.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 10, 2015, 6:12pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from jonnyboy82

blah blah blah..

#fentyconspiracy

God you are a complete n utter twit aren't you? Ifyou need any help inserting that sausage up your rectum at the end of the season I will be more than happy to assist
Posted by: ska face, January 10, 2015, 6:13pm; Reply: 33

John Fenty had to leave the forums because of them

Horse excrement. Fenty had to leave because he was unable to post without embarassing himself, embarassing the club and antagonising the fans.

But that's for another thread.

Glad to hear Toto played well today, he's a top asset at this level.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 10, 2015, 6:13pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from jonnyboy82

No i came on to be honest.

we were crap, what do you want me to say ?

i really think the fishy has some kind of delusion spell on it.

you cant say something was good if it wasnt.

I don't think we was crap, I'm being honest because I was there.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 6:17pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Maringer

Actually, we were a lot better than against Macclesfield and BIGChris is quite right that Toto improved things at the back a great deal with his extra pace.

Oops! There I go again, talking about the game you didn't bother to go to watch yet still slagged off the team in any case. What am I like, eh?

Not like you, thankfully.

Enjoy your evening.

oooh excellent news!

So we are still toothless and uninspiring.

cant wait for the improvement to come i mean its only the fifth year running !

Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 6:19pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from forza ivano

God you are a complete n utter twit aren't you? Ifyou need any help inserting that sausage up your rectum at the end of the season I will be more than happy to assist

You can try.

depends if you like your nose ?
Posted by: Neilo83, January 10, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You can try.

Eh up!
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 6:28pm; Reply: 38
I always think Sausage fights are the wurst!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 10, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 39
;D
I always think Sausage fights are the wurst!

Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Madeleymariner
;D

Well give a green tick then: before all the negative mates add their red cross parcels.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 10, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from forza ivano

Which means that only 1200 people in the whole wide world have a right to comment on today's game? A little harsh don't you think Forza? Slight overkill?

Posted by: forza ivano, January 10, 2015, 6:35pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You can try.

12 year old keyboard warriors.dont you just love them?
Posted by: forza ivano, January 10, 2015, 6:37pm; Reply: 43

Which means that only 1200 people in the whole wide world have a right to comment on today's game? A little harsh don't you think Forza? Slight overkill?

Why? How can anyone comment intelligently on a match if they haven't been or at least seen it on TV?
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 10, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 44
I thought we played well today but then again I'm 250 miles away and didn't have the radio on. No fitba up here....wind, rain, hail, sleet, snow and sunshine all within an hour of mid day. Only in frigging Scotland!
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, January 10, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 45

Surely the 'just back' thread should be used only by those that chose to go.

Almost all the posts on tonights thread are from posters who wish to antagonize and disrupt the clubs progress by whatever means they can. Others like me have tried to intervene, but have obviously been outnumbered by the 'The Town is sh1t' brigade.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 10, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from forza ivano

Why? How can anyone comment intelligently on a match if they haven't been or at least seen it on TV?

Well. It seems to me that it is an intelligent comment to say something about the result, the fact that the side failed to win at home again, the failure to score a goal, the selection of the side, the substitutions and timings, the size of the crowd ...... I don't find anything unintelligent about such comments whether the poster has frostbite or not.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 10, 2015, 6:45pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from forza ivano

Commentary on the radio ?

Its not a blinded opinion its years of seeing it and then the last few months listening to it.

I have seen enough hurstball and when commentators use the words "dire" and "the ones at home are the lucky ones today" it pretty much tells you all you need to know.

you might not like it but thats how it is.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 10, 2015, 6:49pm; Reply: 48

Surely the 'just back' thread should be used only by those that chose to go.

Almost all the posts on tonights thread are from posters who wish to antagonize and disrupt the clubs progress by whatever means they can. Others like me have tried to intervene, but have obviously been outnumbered by the 'The Town is sh1t' brigade.

I see your point but it is grossly unfair to say no-one else should comment. This isn't the same as a moan over a pint with your mates on the way home. For an away game for instance most fans rely on the Just Back thread for an idea of how the game went.

Mind you, some might say today was an away game! ;)

Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2015, 6:49pm; Reply: 49
Match summary Brrrrrr Zzzzzzzzz!
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 10, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 50
Played too narrow which was obvious after 25 mins, Hurst doesn't have the tactical nous to change it. He should have brought Mackreth on and moved Arnold wide. LJL should have gone off and I'd have put Watson on for a change.
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 10, 2015, 6:56pm; Reply: 51

Well. It seems to me that it is an intelligent comment to say something about the result, the fact that the side failed to win at home again, the failure to score a goal, the selection of the side, the substitutions and timings, the size of the crowd ...... I don't find anything unintelligent about such comments whether the poster has frostbite or not.

I don't really see how repeating match stats is intelligent but each to their own. For exiles like myself this website used to be a useful place to find out more about the game you missed. We can all listen to the radio and read up on the game but it's no substitute for being there and forming your own opinions. Unfortunately after every game we don't win the board is full of childish posts and a pack mentality from people who judging by their usernames should be old enough to know better
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2015, 6:58pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from BIGChris

A lot of managers/scouts leave early if one team is dominant, but to leave after an hour with it being a stalemate is very telling.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 10, 2015, 7:30pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Vance Warner

I don't really see how repeating match stats is intelligent but each to their own. For exiles like myself this website used to be a useful place to find out more about the game you missed. We can all listen to the radio and read up on the game but it's no substitute for being there and forming your own opinions. Unfortunately after every game we don't win the board is full of childish posts and a pack mentality from people who judging by their usernames should be old enough to know better

Only after we don't win? ;)

I agree with you as a fellow exile that this used to be a handy thread for a first hand report. Seems to me that people like us making comments is still fair enough and it isn't repeating match facts to do that. It's unfortunate that all threads have got contaminated with vitriol at some level but I suppose that is inevitable after so long in the dumps. Sad but true. Don't know about anyone else but I joined the Fishy for fun not for an intellectual pursuit or a personal vendetta.

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 10, 2015, 7:49pm; Reply: 54

He might not have gone but he was spot on with his analysis.

A dismal game with two dismal sides. Not sure what is the point in playing two big strikers and then not playing any wide men to get the ball into them but then again our current wide men are pretty rubbish.

As for Hurst, just what is the point in bringing McLoughlin on for three minutes and Mackreth for one.
Posted by: KK_DOG, January 10, 2015, 8:04pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Tinymariner
Played too narrow which was obvious after 25 mins, Hurst doesn't have the tactical nous to change it. He should have brought Mackreth on and moved Arnold wide. LJL should have gone off and I'd have put Watson on for a change.

Apart from the LJL comment, I totally agree.

Posted by: Mariner16, January 10, 2015, 8:33pm; Reply: 56

I really like how someone posting as a dog, can have a go at others.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 10, 2015, 8:35pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Mariner16

I really like how someone posting as a dog, can have a go at others.

Are derelict pubs ok (secret)
Posted by: moosey_club, January 10, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 58
Can only comment on first half as i left at H.T,

Thought the shape worked quite well possession wise, we didnt look stretched at any point or overrun, in midfield we had the better of it which is something you dont often say against Gateshead (or a Gary Mills side)...however...the personnel in the formation didnt work, Parslow looked ill at ease throughout, offered no attacking threat and checked back to play backwards virtually everytime.
It was good to see the players playing to feet patiently rather than pumping long balls, Disley seeing lots of the ball at the base of the midfield diamond but most of the passing was impenetrative, backwards or sideways and largely predictable......however.....when you choose a formation with pretty much three attacking players you have to get the ball to them and that didnt happen, Clay and Brown didnt move it forward enough and Parslow and Magnay didnt get far enough up to support.
Arnold was probably the brightest attacking wise, had a shot from range and put in the two best crosses neither of which Ollie read, anticipated or gambled on, however Arnold did scuff the cleanest chance of the half when Clay picked him out unmarked in the box.
LJL hardly saw the ball, guilty of waiting for the ball and losing out to defenders stepping in.
With the wind at our backs i was disappointed we didnt try more shots from range, only one from memory which was Arnold.
It wasnt exciting watching but at least Hurst tried something new and the players were (attempting) passing to feet. I will give Ollie the benefit of the doubt and say he was rusty, your touch might need a few games, as does building understanding with colleagues but his movement in the box and anticipation didnt look good to me and i think as a striker that needs to be there constantly.
Not fussed about now winning as i dont give a toss about the cup but a replay could have been done without i guess.

Posted by: Garth, January 10, 2015, 8:52pm; Reply: 59
Now that I have settled down and warmed up a bit here`s how I saw it, both defences were on top most of the game due to poor and mis placed passes  by both sides.
Pearson was my MOTM followed closely by Toto and Magnay, I thought Arnold played well but LJL had a game where nothing went right for him.

The new boy looks and runs like Reddy but without an end product,  early days yet I suppose, for the life of me I can`t understand the two late substitutions and if they had been brought on earlier it may have helped win the game, Both Disely and Clay had OK games but Brown is still trying to click after his injury,  but seems to be hitting a brick wall trying.

We need Thomas back left and Magnay right on Wednesday with Parslow playing a holding role behind Clay and Dis, Jack out right,  Arnold left with Ollie and Pitman up front
Posted by: BIGChris, January 10, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Garth

We need Thomas back left and Magnay right on Wednesday with Parslow playing a holding role behind Clay and Dis, Jack out right,  Arnold left with Ollie and Pitman up front

Assuming we have a keeper and 2 centre backs wouldnt that be 12?
Posted by: ackomariner, January 10, 2015, 9:00pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from BIGChris

Assuming we have a keeper and 2 centre backs wouldnt that be 12?

Yeah it would,, leave parslow out
Posted by: psgmariner, January 10, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 62
It was boring.

Toto and Pearson were solid although they had nothing really to do. Clay was excellent.

We have next to no goal threat. The new guy looked very rusty. excrement touch and not sure what he adds. Hope he improves.
Posted by: chaos33, January 10, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 63
I really don't understand why Hurst didn't play some of those who haven't had a chance recently, particularly in place of those who have shown nothing but recent poor form, or why he brought subs on with 3 mins and 1 minute to play, but then I really don't understand much that he does anymore. (unsure)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 10, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 64
Just got a feeling,  Thomas wont be playing any time soon
Posted by: Abdul19, January 10, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from moosey_club
It was good to see the players playing to feet patiently rather than pumping long balls, Disley seeing lots of the ball at the base of the midfield diamond but most of the passing was impenetrative, backwards or sideways and largely predictable

So that's why AB wasn't on the radio!
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 11, 2015, 1:33am; Reply: 66
Diabolical game.  Diamond type formation meant we nulified their threat but at the same time restricted any attacking play we may have offered.  Lacked width all game and with it we may have avoided a replay, this flaw was made even more obvious with Magnay on his wrong foot and Parslow's non-attacking game.   Brown was very poor in that system.

We had virtually all the attacking play but no clear cut chances.  

Palmer looked alright. Nothing more.  

Toto and Pearson solid throughout.  

Absurd use of subs so late in the game.  Totally pointless.  

I've just about warmed up, eight and a half hours later.
Posted by: lobsterpot, January 11, 2015, 10:17am; Reply: 67
Quoted from BIGChris

I really cannot be ar$ed to trawl through several pages of the same old $hite that i already know but, Chris, the only penalty appeal i saw was the blatant handball in the last few seconds right in front of me! The defender misjudged the bounce and the ball awquardly flicked up and hit his outstreched hand. I was sat with a Sunday league ref and he could not believe it wasnt given altho' have to say the same Sunday league ref would give anything that the Seven Seas ever appealed for ;D

Posted by: nickmariners, January 11, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 68

Cos that's his thang.

That plus sausages.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 11, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 69
I actually thought we played ok and certainly deserved the win. Gateshead caused us no problems and we had a strong penalty shout, a goal chance cleared off the line and a good few crosses from corners and open play flashed across the box which, on another day, would have got a knick and go in.

I don't think all this criticism "he's not going to get us promotoed" etc etc on Palmer is useful. He's had one game in a new team FFS! It's indicative of the poisonous atmosphere at Blundell Park.

I agree it wasn't the best game but, considering the conditions, I thought we did our best to keep it on the deck and handled the conditions quite well. We were much better in the second half and it can't help playing a team who clearly weren't bothered. It begs the question why Gateshead (presumably) didn't agree to finish it on the day and only further highlights their twatish nature.

My main criticism again from Town is Hurst and substitutions and set plays. We ran one corner early in the first half and the wind carried it too far then it was back to the normal cross it in and hope for the best. Why don't we ever play it short or mix it up? Subs - time and time again, he leaves them too late. Paddy coming on with 5 minutes to go? Why bother? Give them 20-30 minutes. Especially in a game like that, where, according to the general consensus, it's not a big deal if we lose.

Toto, agreed, man of the match.

And, one last thing, great to see Oster back at BP as a Skegness lad myself. I'm still astounded that he's managed to convert himself into a centre midfielder though. Has to be one of the laziest players I've ever seen but I loved him at Town.
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, January 11, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I actually thought we played ok and certainly deserved the win. Gateshead caused us no problems and we had a strong penalty shout, a goal chance cleared off the line and a good few crosses from corners and open play flashed across the box which, on another day, would have got a knick and go in.

I don't think we deserved a win at all, the draw seemed the fair result.  Gateshead also had a chance cleared off the line and McKeown had to make a great save in the first half to deny what looked like a certain goal.  From where I was sat in the Main Stand it didn't look like a penalty either for Brown, their defender didn't even know he was running from behind so it was more of a collision rather than a foul.  

I went with lower expectations after the previous two games and still left BP underwhelmed.  I can't understand why we have so many attack minded players but offer very little in terms of an attacking threat.  It seems the way the team is set up is more about nullifying any threat from the opposition which is great for keeping clean sheets but that doesn't mean you'll win the games.  I'd happily see Town conceded 1 or 2 goals each game if it means they're banging in 3 or 4 up the other end.  Up front we just seem too cautious and predictable at the moment.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 11, 2015, 11:37am; Reply: 71
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez

I don't think we deserved a win at all, the draw seemed the fair result.  Gateshead also had a chance cleared off the line and McKeown had to make a great save in the first half to deny what looked like a certain goal.  From where I was sat in the Main Stand it didn't look like a penalty either for Brown, their defender didn't even know he was running from behind so it was more of a collision rather than a foul.  

I went with lower expectations after the previous two games and still left BP underwhelmed.  I can't understand why we have so many attack minded players but offer very little in terms of an attacking threat.  It seems the way the team is set up is more about nullifying any threat from the opposition which is great for keeping clean sheets but that doesn't mean you'll win the games.  I'd happily see Town conceded 1 or 2 goals each game if it means they're banging in 3 or 4 up the other end.  Up front we just seem too cautious and predictable at the moment.

I was talking about a handball for a penalty but now I think about it - that might have been in our box from thier player. It was in front of the Ponny anyway.
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, January 11, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I was talking about a handball for a penalty but now I think about it - that might have been in our box from thier player. It was in front of the Ponny anyway.

I'd forgotten about that one and to be fair, I did shout "handball" when it happened.  Although it was more in hope than anything as it didn't seem intentional but as the pundits on TV say, "I've seen 'em given".
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 4:13am