Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 8, 2015, 3:18pm
out on loan...

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst says he's looking to get striker Hamish Watson out on loan as they look to give him game time. #gtfc

pretty sure yesterday he said Watson & Hannah are still in his plans
Posted by: Hagrid, January 8, 2015, 3:19pm; Reply: 1
why not let him have some games here or let him go!? not difficult paul!!
Posted by: mariner91, January 8, 2015, 3:20pm; Reply: 2
Give him a go on Saturday, will do no harm at all.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 8, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 3
Par for the course though.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 8, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 4
He certainly looked like he could do with game time as, to me at least, he looked unfit.

I see this as a good move because if it seems he has something, but isnt sharp enough or fit enough to be given a start, then a loan move makes sense.

A month of regular football may get him in condition to really push for a start for us
Posted by: DocTower, January 8, 2015, 3:41pm; Reply: 5
Beyond bring surprised anymore ,  Would have been nice to see him play a part on Saturday , I think that's the last we will see of him .
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 8, 2015, 3:54pm; Reply: 6
We have a competitive, yet unimportant match on Saturday where we can give him 90 minutes if we wanted to have a look at him, why loan him out?
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2015, 3:56pm; Reply: 7
It seems pretty likely to me that Hurst will use the match on Saturday to try out Palmer alongside LJL and/or Pittman (this assumes Palmer is eligible to play in the game!). Seems sensible enough to me as we're not exactly inundated with games this month so none of the players need a rest and Palmer should be a lot fitter than Watson as he has been playing regularly this season.

Interesting to see we intend to keep Watson on to some degree as I expected us to release him rather than loan him out. Hopefully, he can go out somewhere to get some games and improve his fitness then come back and show us he is capable of doing a job later in the season. A loan spell anywhere in the division or two below us ought to be good, I'd have thought, providing he gets game time?

If Palmer does well, there is always the chance he will be recalled by Mansfield at the end of his loan period. Let's hope this is the case!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 8, 2015, 4:17pm; Reply: 8
sure his contract ends very soon.

pointless.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 4:22pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
out on loan...

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst says he's looking to get striker Hamish Watson out on loan as they look to give him game time. #gtfc

pretty sure yesterday he said Watson & Hannah are still in his plans

Letting him go would have contradicted PH's statement, not sending him out on loan. He may see something in him but he needs sharpening up.

Also, why play him against Gateshead? He is clearly not ready for that yet and Hurst rightly or wrongly will want to win this game and progress. He has already said as much.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 8, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from jonnyboy82

pointless.

Absolutely. Just seeing out the time to releasing him.

Posted by: chaos33, January 8, 2015, 4:34pm; Reply: 11
I see this as a total waste of time, effort and money. Why isn't he fit? He trains every day.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 8, 2015, 4:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from chaos33
I see this as a total waste of time, effort and money. Why isn't he fit? He trains every day.

I guess it's the difference between fit and match-fit. I'm not going to say any more than his man-management leaves a lot to be desired.
Posted by: biggles9999, January 8, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jonnyboy82

pointless.

Which would indicate to me that we are planning to retain him and the best way to be 100% certain that he can do the job for us is to get him regular game time, rather than hope for 10 minutes here and there.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 8, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 14
Is it not possible that he could play some part on Saturday and go out on loan? I'm sure come Saturday afternoon he will still be here, I can't see many clubs beating PH's door down tomorrow to try to sign him.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 8, 2015, 5:22pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from biggles9999

Which would indicate to me that we are planning to retain him and the best way to be 100% certain that he can do the job for us is to get him regular game time, rather than hope for 10 minutes here and there.

Or like people say just a pointless waste of money.

Saturday could have gave him 90 mins and see were he was in a game.

I said when he signed he wouldnt get a game.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 8, 2015, 5:27pm; Reply: 16
Ahhh if only we had a less important game to play him in on Saturday, how much better would that be? Oh well.

Oh wait, it is less important on Saturday. Only problem is the man in charge treats it like the flipping world cup and we crash and burn up by April every pissing season.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, January 8, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 17
Good move for me
He looks a bit short of match sharpness to me and a run of games (which he won't get here cos Palmer has been brought in to play) at lower level will do him good

Possibly means Hurst sees him as part his future plans - if not, he wouldn't have signed him in first place or would have cancelled his contract

Sensible decision IMO
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 8, 2015, 6:04pm; Reply: 18
Bizarre!
Posted by: Abdul19, January 8, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 19
If PH wanted to release him why not just release him?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, January 8, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 20
There goes my fantasy that he could be the new Chima Okorie.
Posted by: Teestogreen, January 8, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 21
Where's Hamish going? Napier City Rovers my bet. Just forced his way on to the subs bench, after multiple training         and - -  - - - - goonne!

Bizarre!      
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2015, 7:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19

Because he's so Machiavellian, innit.  :-/
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 8, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19

Hedging his bets? If he scores a dozen on loan he'll release him. ;)

Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2015, 9:59pm; Reply: 24
I see it as Hurst making a directly antagonistic move against supporters, he only said the other day the fans like Hamish and he doesnt know why as they have no reason to, get behind the other players etc etc.
Therefore i summise that Hurst see's him as a crowd favourite and just to p1ss us off he his looking to offload him, an attempt to stamp his authority, classic indicative behaviour of small man syndrome...

some may say...

Posted by: Youngy, January 8, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 25
It's amazing how people jump to conclusions without actually listening to the whole interview.

It's up on Mariners World. He states that he wants to keep Watson for longer, he rates him but feels that he needs a month somewhere to sharpen up and get used to English football.

He basically said that if they extend his contract, they will then look at a loan move.
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, January 8, 2015, 10:45pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from BIGChris
He certainly looked like he could do with game time as, to me at least, he looked unfit.

I see this as a good move because if it seems he has something, but isnt sharp enough or fit enough to be given a start, then a loan move makes sense.

A month of regular football may get him in condition to really push for a start for us

Shouldnt have been brought in then should he...this fitness excuse is a laugh. The first 11 dont look any fitter than part timers in the same division.  
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2015, 11:18pm; Reply: 27
The paranoia is strong in this thread...

(starwars)
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 9, 2015, 12:56am; Reply: 28
One for the future? he's not releasing him so as a guess he is breaking him in. after all we dont have much youth in the ranks up top.
Posted by: ska face, January 9, 2015, 9:29am; Reply: 29
Wouldn't he end up cup-tied if he played on Saturday?

Also, some of you need to give your heads a wobble. The bloke is still clearly unfit and has spent whatever game time he's had getting bashed about by centre halves. I wouldn't want him starting games for us in his current condition.
Posted by: Garth, January 9, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 30
Say what you like he could have played some part in Saturdays game even a bit part and then loaned out, strange times at BP
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 9, 2015, 9:55am; Reply: 31
Quoted from moosey_club
I see it as Hurst making a directly antagonistic move against supporters, he only said the other day the fans like Hamish and he doesnt know why as they have no reason to, get behind the other players etc etc.
Therefore i summise that Hurst see's him as a crowd favourite and just to p1ss us off he his looking to offload him, an attempt to stamp his authority, classic indicative behaviour of small man syndrome...

some may say...

Really?

It strikes me as though he sees something in him but that he is unfit, he is looking to extend his stay with us and loan him out to get fit and see if he improves enough to come back into the first team. Seems fairly sensible seeing as we don't have a reserve side.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 9, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 32
Bloody hell! Talk about an overreaction.

He's got (bar a game against Boston's kids team and two cameo appearances from the bench) no experience of English football, a lack of match fitness and could clearly do with improving on both.

On top of this he's looked just ok when he's come on, nothing outstanding but by no means a disgrace.  He looks to have the raw assets, he has some potential there.  The key word is potential.  He's in no different position to Winnfarah, Walker or any other first year professional, arguably he's not as far down the line as they are.

Hurst sees him every day in training so has a better idea than anyone else as to where he is and how far he is from the first team.  The lad we've brought from Mansfield is a proven non-league striker.  He's got considerable experience in and around this level, hence why he will be ahead of Watson in the pecking order.

I'm not Hurst's biggest fan, certainly not at the minute, but slating him for looking to do the right thing with regards this lads development is ridiculous.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 9, 2015, 1:47pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from diehardmariner
Bloody hell! Talk about an overreaction.

He's got (bar a game against Boston's kids team and two cameo appearances from the bench) no experience of English football, a lack of match fitness and could clearly do with improving on both.

On top of this he's looked just ok when he's come on, nothing outstanding but by no means a disgrace.  He looks to have the raw assets, he has some potential there.  The key word is potential.  He's in no different position to Winnfarah, Walker or any other first year professional, arguably he's not as far down the line as they are.

Hurst sees him every day in training so has a better idea than anyone else as to where he is and how far he is from the first team.  The lad we've brought from Mansfield is a proven non-league striker.  He's got considerable experience in and around this level, hence why he will be ahead of Watson in the pecking order.

I'm not Hurst's biggest fan, certainly not at the minute, but slating him for looking to do the right thing with regards this lads development is ridiculous.

Excellent post!!!
Posted by: moosey_club, January 9, 2015, 3:14pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from monkeyboy
One for the future? he's not releasing him so as a guess he is breaking him in. after all we dont have much youth in the ranks up top.

If he wants to break him in perhaps we should sign Ched Evans..  :o
Posted by: moosey_club, January 9, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Really?

It strikes me as though he sees something in him but that he is unfit, he is looking to extend his stay with us and loan him out to get fit and see if he improves enough to come back into the first team. Seems fairly sensible seeing as we don't have a reserve side.

Hehehe..no not really...just dangling a hook.

I think Hurst is doing the right thing, he aint fit enough to start and is running out of contract, give him a blast somewhere else maybe lower down, if he fails to score or make an impact he will be released with no further involvement from us and Hurst can justify his actions, if he starts banging them in and gets match or half match fit then we can recall him (providing he doesnt fook off somewhere else when his contract runs out) and Hurst can justify his actions. Win win really.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:29am