Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 8, 2015, 9:08am
Fenty reveals in the GET
Who was prepared to pay for him to come here?
Posted by: Biccys, January 8, 2015, 9:10am; Reply: 1
?
Posted by: psgmariner, January 8, 2015, 9:11am; Reply: 2
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Ched-Evans-Financial-backer-offered-pay-convicted/story-25824500-detail/story.html
Posted by: Biccys, January 8, 2015, 9:11am; Reply: 3
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Ched-Evans-Financial-backer-offered-pay-convicted/story-25824500-detail/story.html

Wowser...
Posted by: Biccys, January 8, 2015, 9:11am; Reply: 4
Too quick for me PSG!
Posted by: psgmariner, January 8, 2015, 9:12am; Reply: 5
It's his girlfriend's dad apparently. He is a multi millionaire and also paid for his website and appeal etc. Surprised she stuck with him to be honest!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 8, 2015, 9:23am; Reply: 6
Quoted from psgmariner
It's his girlfriend's dad apparently. He is a multi millionaire and also paid for his website and appeal etc. Surprised she stuck with him to be honest!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html

I doubt that his girlfriend's Dad would have given Grimsby Town a second thought. I reckon this is a bit of a non-story really. There was a Facebook campaign going, (led by one of our Fishy regulars) who had pledges of around £3000 and had contacted The Mariners Trust about the possibility of signing him.

Looks to me like more "blown out of proportion" reporting from the GT.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 8, 2015, 9:42am; Reply: 7
I've questioned a lot of Hurst and Fenty's decisions in the past, but can't find any fault at all with this one. Well done to the both of them, they've earned a fair bit of respect from me.
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 8, 2015, 10:00am; Reply: 8
Well done JF for not Hiring a Rapist !!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 8, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Chrisblor
I've questioned a lot of Hurst and Fenty's decisions in the past, but can't find any fault at all with this one. Well done to the both of them, they've earned a fair bit of respect from me.

Am sure there was no decision to be made and would be shocked had we even entered into any discussions
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, January 8, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 10
Quoted from psgmariner

I heard something the other day similar to this, that basically his girlfriend's dad is stumping up the money to cover wages and sponsorship losses and this has been circulated around numerous clubs in a bid to get him signed up. Granted there is a lot of conjecture and rumour being banded around so who knows? Personally I'm happy with the knowledge that the board and manager agreed unanimously against it.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 8, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 11
Very well done to all concerned.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 12
But it could also have been a big opportunity to get us back into league Football.
Oldham do not seem to feel that their fanbase is universally against the idea. One source suggested that Oldham feel as many as 75 per cent of fans would accept Evans joining the club although this can't be confirmed.
The financial backing takes care of the money side of things.
Some of Town's fanbase might feel this is a missed opportunity bearing in mind that under this current regime signing a player of this quality is  light years away.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 8, 2015, 10:29am; Reply: 13
What would be the reaction if Town signed any other player who hadnt played a game for the last 3 years?
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 8, 2015, 10:31am; Reply: 14
Quoted from BIGChris
What would be the reaction if Town signed any other player who hadnt played a game for the last 3 years?

Depends entirely on the circumstances behind their time away from playing and the level they've previously played at.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 8, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 15
Quoted from BIGChris

Was the trust consulted on this ?
Posted by: Perkins, January 8, 2015, 10:50am; Reply: 16
Telegraph up to its usual style of trying to make a story out of a non event. What makes anyone think that Evans would want to come here anyway. Jeez, our players get enough stick from our own supporters anyway, they would have a field day if he came here.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 8, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 17
Oh dear.........................
Posted by: BIGChris, January 8, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 18
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

No idea
Posted by: grimps, January 8, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 19
I'd have him here tomorrow !
I also believe he's innocent  ;)
Posted by: Trawler, January 8, 2015, 12:51pm; Reply: 20

Fenty explained: "We had a meeting to discuss this involving myself, manager Paul Hurst and the board."  Presumably the Trust reps Dave Roberts and Jon Wood on the GTFC board were in the know. And that's the way it should stay in my eyes. I don't think the wider Trust needed consulting on this.

Personally I am happy he is not coming here. It would have damaged the club. The people who say they would have loved him to play here forget that Youngs and many other advertisers may well have walked away, regardless of "the truth" which nobody but two individuals will ever know. It's not hard to imagine a large sacle boycott of Youngs products if a campaign was orchestrated by social media.  
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 8, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimps
I'd have him here tomorrow !
I also believe he's innocent  ;)

As does Clayton McDonald... ::)

http://www.chedevans.com/claytons-statement

Quoted from Trawler

Fenty explained: "We had a meeting to discuss this involving myself, manager Paul Hurst and the board."  Presumably the Trust reps Dave Roberts and Jon Wood on the GTFC board were in the know. And that's the way it should stay in my eyes. I don't think the wider Trust needed consulting on this.

Personally I am happy he is not coming here. It would have damaged the club. The people who say they would have loved him to play here forget that Youngs and many other advertisers may well have walked away, regardless of "the truth" which nobody but two individuals will ever know. It's not hard to imagine a large sacle boycott of Youngs products if a campaign was orchestrated by social media.  

In that do you mean Ched Evans and Clayton McDonald?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 8, 2015, 1:11pm; Reply: 22
If there is someone prepared to underwrite the cost of bringing Ched Evans here, what is Hurst doing signing Ollie Whatsit? Presumably we could sign someone else costing as much as Evans.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 8, 2015, 1:16pm; Reply: 23
If there is someone prepared to underwrite the cost of bringing Ched Evans here, what is Hurst doing signing Ollie Whatsit? Presumably we could sign someone else costing as much as Evans.

I honestly don't think there ever was a financial backer willing to underwrite the cost. I reckon that the telegraph have got wind of a few individuals on Facebook, who have "pledged" around £3000, which would pay about a couple of weeks wages maybe, and made this fact known to the club, and the Telegraph have blown the whole thing out of proportion.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 8, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Les Brechin

I honestly don't think there ever was a financial backer willing to underwrite the cost. I reckon that the telegraph have got wind of a few individuals on Facebook, who have "pledged" around £3000, which would pay about a couple of weeks wages maybe, and blown the whole thing out of proportion.

I'm sure you are right Les. I'm just stirring the pot a bit! ;)

Posted by: fleabag1970, January 8, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 25
HE IS GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??)      Why cant some of the poster except that .......................?  
Posted by: Perkins, January 8, 2015, 1:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

As does Clayton McDonald... ::)

In that do you mean Ched Evans and Clayton McDonald?

Must be the case as a third party was involved but she can,t remember anything about it. ( according to the reports)
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 8, 2015, 1:28pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from 3595[u
]HE IS GUILTY ![/u]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??)      Why cant some of the poster except that .......................?  

He has been convicted  !
I wouldnt want him playing for us either .
Posted by: 75 (Guest), January 8, 2015, 1:43pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

I honestly don't think there ever was a financial backer willing to underwrite the cost. I reckon that the telegraph have got wind of a few individuals on Facebook, who have "pledged" around £3000, which would pay about a couple of weeks wages maybe, and made this fact known to the club, and the Telegraph have blown the whole thing out of proportion.

I had personally guaranteed the £3000 Les. I was prepared to transfer the cash before I got the pledges in.

I was putting 1k in myself and the offer still stands for Evans. It would be a donation.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts but I approached the trust asking if they would take my proposal to the GTFC board. If they had been keen, I was going to bring it to the fishy members asking to boost the fund.

I fully understand the clubs position, From what I've read, I believe Ched's appeal will be successful but I wasn't on the jury.

It had been discussed already so it sounds like somebody with proper money had offered to fully fund the signing.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 1:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 75

I had personally guaranteed the £3000 Les. I was prepared to transfer the cash before I got the pledges in.

I was putting 1k in myself and the offer still stands for Evans. It would be a donation.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts but I approached the trust asking if they would take my proposal to the GTFC board. If they had been keen, I was going to bring it to the fishy members asking to boost the fund.

I fully understand the clubs position, From what I've read, I believe Ched's appeal will be successful but I wasn't on the jury.

It had been discussed already so it sounds like somebody with proper money had offered to fully fund the signing.

Very unlikely as his appeal was rejected. He is now before the Criminal Review Commission  who have a backlog of three years.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 8, 2015, 4:31pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Very unlikely as his appeal was rejected. He is now before the Criminal Review Commission  who have a backlog of three years.

I read earlier that as the appeal judge was looking at it "it must be dodgy".

I assume this is bollocks as anyone found guilty has the right to appeal to the Criminal Review people do they not?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 4:40pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Abdul19

I assume this is bollocks as anyone found guilty has the right to appeal to the Criminal Review people do they not?

Yes they do, hence the backlog.

The judges looked at it because he appealed. They found no grounds to re-open the case.

The next step after refusal of an appeal is the CCRC.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 8, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Abdul19

Criminal reviews only change outcomes of trials if new relevant evidence comes to light, as far as I'm aware no new evidence as appeared regarding the ched Evans rape case.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 8, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 33
Cheers Ginny and dapperz.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 34
If it costs nothing as there is a backer in place and he proves himself in training to be upto standard then seriously....he has done the time for the crime he has been found guilty of.
We have signed players with previous criminal records in the past and probably will do again.  Are we as a club going to vet all players and have a strict no criminal record policy?
We live in a democratic society with a judicial system that is arguably one of the best in the world, why do we not accept that due course is now complete and he is now a free man?

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 8, 2015, 5:31pm; Reply: 35
Fenty has taken a lot of stick on here but he got this absolutely right, the loss of all credibility and sponsors would be catastrophic. Also what sort of message would this send to the youngsters and female staff and supporters at the club.

Well done JF  you have my respect on this one.
Posted by: grimps, January 8, 2015, 5:40pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from 75

Ill stick a grand in the pot if your serious ?
He's a class player who I believe is innocent , If he's willing to come play here and put up with all the excrement that'll come with it then he's good enough for me
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 6:03pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club
If it costs nothing as there is a backer in place and he proves himself in training to be upto standard then seriously....he has done the time for the crime he has been found guilty of.
We have signed players with previous criminal records in the past and probably will do again.  Are we as a club going to vet all players and have a strict no criminal record policy?
We live in a democratic society with a judicial system that is arguably one of the best in the world, why do we not accept that due course is now complete and he is now a free man?

Because it isn't and he isn't.

His sentence is still ongoing. He is out on license which basically means he is serving his time outside, instead of inside the prison system.

He didn't get time off for good behaviour, which is a different thing all together and until today was still protesting his innocence.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2015, 6:11pm; Reply: 38
Just been mentioned on ITV News Calendar that Grimsby Town turned down the chance to sign Evans.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 8, 2015, 6:26pm; Reply: 39
If we had backers putting money in for Evans,

Will they still put the money in for another Div 1  striker ?
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2015, 6:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from grimsby pete

I believe it was Evans girlfriends father ( wealthy ) who was going to finance the deal as already mentioned on here.

Posted by: mariner tommy, January 8, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 41
To be honest, I'm sick to death of the whole Ched Evans affair on this forum.
There are three separate threads on him on the first page.
I wish people would just let the subject go and move on.
We will not sign him now, or in the future, end of.

UTM
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 8, 2015, 6:40pm; Reply: 42
So we have Lee Hughes kills someone in a car crash and does a runner from the scene, gets out of prison years later and plays for numerous league clubs.

Marlon King, sexually assaults a women, then assaults her breaking her nose, 13 convictions for dishonesty, drink driving and other motoring offences, and violence against women, gets let out and plays for numerous league clubs, guess what he's back in prison again - repeat offender.

A good place for Evans to start back up would be NON-LEAGUE, and guess what, we are just a big club in the non-league, a minnow in what we were in the Championship.  I think if anything, their would be less backlash him signing for the likes of Grimsby Town, the situation isn't clear cut, chances are this will never happen again, and the fact that he still wants to appeal to prove he is actually innocent!
Posted by: mariner91, January 8, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
So we have Lee Hughes kills someone in a car crash and does a runner from the scene, gets out of prison years later and plays for numerous league clubs.

Marlon King, sexually assaults a women, then assaults her breaking her nose, 13 convictions for dishonesty, drink driving and other motoring offences, and violence against women, gets let out and plays for numerous league clubs, guess what he's back in prison again - repeat offender.

A good place for Evans to start back up would be NON-LEAGUE, and guess what, we are just a big club in the non-league, a minnow in what we were in the Championship.  I think if anything, their would be less backlash him signing for the likes of Grimsby Town, the situation isn't clear cut, chances are this will never happen again, and the fact that he still wants to appeal to prove he is actually innocent!

Please never take up a career in law.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 8, 2015, 7:21pm; Reply: 44
I suspect his girlfriend's father probably isn't willing to finance us signing another striker.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 8, 2015, 7:25pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mariner91
Please never take up a career in law.
Eh? It even states on his website - On 15 July 2014 Ched’s new legal team David Emanuel of Garden Court Chambers London and Shaun Draycott submitted an application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission which is the first step to a second appeal.  They are confident in their submission.

4th paragraph >> [url=http://www.chedevans.com/]http://www.chedevans.com/[/url]
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 8, 2015, 7:30pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I suspect his girlfriend's father probably isn't willing to finance us signing another striker.

I don't know, he's clearly got a screw loose giving Evans so much support. Even if the bloke believes he's innocent of rape, he still cheated on his daughter!
Posted by: BS baffles brains, January 8, 2015, 7:51pm; Reply: 47
I really feel sorry for all those on this forum, who've never had a bit on the side, live a little, and let live, were all only human. cheating on his girlfriend , get real, were blokes, with testosterone flowing through some of our bodies
Posted by: Tom13, January 8, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 48
*Insert comment here about Hurst probably not playing him even if we did sign him*
Posted by: mariner91, January 8, 2015, 8:00pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Eh? It even states on his website - submitted an application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission which is the first step to a second appeal.

My apologies, I misread it. Thought you wrote it proves he is innocent which it certainly doesn't.
Posted by: KK_DOG, January 8, 2015, 8:09pm; Reply: 50
There comes a point when Ched Evans needs a job. He has been found guilty and served his time. Is it fair to keep on punishing him ? It's not a case of he can't be a footballer because he has been convicted of rape. He can be a footballer but it appears he is not being given a chance because of public opinion. Maybe Grimsby Town don't want him for all the baggage and problems from others that it will bring and I can't blame the club for that. Sheffield United should have taken him back in my opinion and it wasn't a footballing decision that convinced them to bin him it was public pressure. I personally would have welcomed him at GTFC, providing he can still put the ball in the net and he is btter than what we have got.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2015, 8:14pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from ginnywings

His sentence is still ongoing. He is out on license which basically means he is serving his time outside, instead of inside the prison system.

He didn't get time off for good behaviour, which is a different thing all together and until today was still protesting his innocence.

begging your pardon m'lud....thought he had completed his sentence....still... he is effectively released on license as he is not deemed a threat to the public...not interested in his appeal or his protesting of innocence as currently he has been found, by the judicial system we are all governed by, guilty of rape.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 8, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from mariner91
My apologies, I misread it. Thought you wrote it proves he is innocent which it certainly doesn't.
No prob. :)  He'll probally end up in a fish factory at this rate lol.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 8, 2015, 8:25pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
No prob. :)  He'll probally end up in a fish factory at this rate lol.

Id forget that one our polish cousins have that sewn up
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2015, 8:34pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from grimsby pete

I thought Fenty said a number of weeks ago ( on signing THAT player ) money isn't an issue. I didn't understand that statement but waited in anticipation.
If we have already signed THAT player i must have missed it, better give my head a shake pronto, oh wait a minute i forgot about Hamish.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 8:39pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from moosey_club

begging your pardon m'lud....thought he had completed his sentence....still... he is effectively released on license as he is not deemed a threat to the public...not interested in his appeal or his protesting of innonence as currently he has been found, by the judicial system we are all governed by, guilty of rape.

But he is deemed a threat to the public, which is why he is out on licence and will be on the sex offenders register for 15 years.

People keep saying he has served his time but he hasn't.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 8, 2015, 8:41pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

He still is protesting his innocence. Todays statement was based on the vile behaviour of some of his supporters towards the woman involved in the case. The reason he hadn't done this before was on legal advice.

What I find utterly infuriating about the whole thing is the media mob rule focused on absolutely crushing the bloke. Sky Sports news and the BBC literally contacted every League 1 and 2 club to ask them if they'd sign Evans. Purely on the fact they wanted to pressurize clubs into condemning him. He's 3rd story on the BBC News only being 'beaten' by a 12 person flipping massacre, he had a full front page spread on a national newspapers sport section today. Oldham council blackmailed the club into not signing him by saying they'd refuse a stand if they didn't. The media are ringing every single Oldham sponsor pressuring them to drop their name from Oldham. 'Campaigners' sent death and rape threats to board members.

Anybody remember any of this for killers, Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick or Adam Chapman? No, you don't because there wasn't any of this. It's an absolute disgrace that this whole thing has even come this far.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 8, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from ginnywings

But he is deemed a threat to the public, which is why he is out on licence and will be on the sex offenders register for 15 years.

Which part of out on licence dictates he shouldn't work?
Posted by: barralad, January 8, 2015, 9:03pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Tom13
*Insert comment here about Hurst probably not playing him even if we did sign him*

;D  ;D  ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 9:05pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from pontoonlew

He still is protesting his innocence. Todays statement was based on the vile behaviour of some of his supporters towards the woman involved in the case. The reason he hadn't done this before was on legal advice.

What I find utterly infuriating about the whole thing is the media mob rule focused on absolutely crushing the bloke. Sky Sports news and the BBC literally contacted every League 1 and 2 club to ask them if they'd sign Evans. Purely on the fact they wanted to pressurize clubs into condemning him. He's 3rd story on the BBC News only being 'beaten' by a 12 person flipping massacre, he had a full front page spread on a national newspapers sport section today. Oldham council blackmailed the club into not signing him by saying they'd refuse a stand if they didn't. The media are ringing every single Oldham sponsor pressuring them to drop their name from Oldham. 'Campaigners' sent death and rape threats to board members.

Anybody remember any of this for killers, Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick or Adam Chapman? No, you don't because there wasn't any of this. It's an absolute disgrace that this whole thing has even come this far.

This probably explains why, better than i could.

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/mick-dennis/550403/Mick-Dennis-on-convicted-rapist-Ched-Evans-and-why-he-should-play-football-again

I don't particularly agree with all the article but the problems he will face are apparent.

Posted by: barralad, January 8, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from pontoonlew

IMO this is the best thing you've ever written on here. Brilliant!! Mob Rule describes the treatment exactly
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from pontoonlew

Which part of out on licence dictates he shouldn't work?

No one is saying he shouldn't work but getting back into football is going to be very difficult for him.

To be honest i don't really give a fook about Ched Evans.

I suspect if he was a fourth rate striker playing for Tunbridge Angels, nobody else would either.
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 9, 2015, 1:10am; Reply: 62
Sign him up, no such thing as bad publicity.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), January 9, 2015, 1:46am; Reply: 63
Quoted from grimps

Ill stick a grand in the pot if your serious ?

I wouldn't mess about over something like this but like I say, it seems somebody with proper cash had offered to pay for all his wages.

Anyway, it's been discussed at board level and won't happen. I'm disappointed but the boards decision is understandable,it's s complex issue.

I don't think its a case of money.
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, January 9, 2015, 10:15am; Reply: 64
Quoted from ginnywings

Why is he deemed a threat to the public. He isn't a predatory rapist who drags females into alleyways. The problem with issues like this is people who claim they know everything about the case and what went on. Only 3 people know what happened that night . The rest of us are on the outside. I honestly think ourselves and some of the other kangaroo court people stopping Evans playing football should sit back and allow whatever happens to happen. I don't think the people that have involved themselves have the right to get involved and should leave it to those directly involved to state their feelings. I don't know much about it but I think it surrounds ability to consent due to level of intoxication. The only good thing to come from the whole thing is perhaps it will make footballers realise that their party related antics could lead to life long consequences. Might make some realise you can't behave exactly as you please.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 9, 2015, 11:16am; Reply: 65
Only 3 people know what happened that night ? What about the 2 filming ?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 9, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 66
Quoted from AlanPoutonsTackle

Why is he deemed a threat to the public. He isn't a predatory rapist who drags females into alleyways. The problem with issues like this is people who claim they know everything about the case and what went on. Only 3 people know what happened that night . The rest of us are on the outside. I honestly think ourselves and some of the other kangaroo court people stopping Evans playing football should sit back and allow whatever happens to happen. I don't think the people that have involved themselves have the right to get involved and should leave it to those directly involved to state their feelings. I don't know much about it but I think it surrounds ability to consent due to level of intoxication. The only good thing to come from the whole thing is perhaps it will make footballers realise that their party related antics could lead to life long consequences. Might make some realise you can't behave exactly as you please.

Because he is a convicted rapist out on license and will be on the sex offenders register for the next 15 years. I don't know why people cannot grasp this fact. Should he be treated the same as you or me who haven't (presumably) got rape convictions?

He may or may not be innocent and may or may not have been wrongly imprisoned, but the facts as it stands are that he had sex with an incapably drunk young woman without permission and filmed the act. That is not "laddish" behaviour, that is a crime for which he was sentenced to 5 years in prison. Tried by a jury of his peers and found guilty.

He is currently out on license as part of his rehabilitation and his sentence is still active. These are indisputable facts and all the rest is hearsay. He may well never do this again but that's not the point is it?

I believe in the justice system and he should be allowed back into society and allowed to pursue a career but unfortunately in this day and age, with facebook and twitter and all the internet and tv news that has to be fuelled 24/7, he has found himself hounded out of football. The very media that helped to build him up is now destroying him, as is their wont. He is now too toxic for any team to employ and i suspect the same would be true of Lee Hughes and others cited on this thread, had they committed their crimes more recently.
Posted by: carrot top, January 9, 2015, 12:09pm; Reply: 67
I agree that it is a difficult one to sort out and will cause divided opinions.

I wonder what crimes are acceptable in order to carry on in your own profession. Many Politicians carried out crimes in the expenses scandal but continue to ply their trade. Bankers committed horrendous crimes on the public/taxpayer, but again are allowed to carry on regardless.

I am in the camp of him being allowed to play. He has served his sentence and hopefully has been rehabilitated. I cannot see him doing anything like it again, if he has half a brain.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 9, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from carrot top

I wonder what crimes are acceptable in order to carry on in your own profession. Many Politicians carried out crimes in the expenses scandal but continue to ply their trade. Bankers committed horrendous crimes on the public/taxpayer, but again are allowed to carry on regardless.

I am in the camp of him being allowed to play. He has served his sentence and hopefully has been rehabilitated. I cannot see him doing anything like it again, if he has half a brain.

I give up.
Posted by: carrot top, January 9, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 69
I know he is out on licence. That is not really the point I'm making. Give it a rest Head Judge, Im just giving an opinion, is that allowed?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2015, 1:46pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from carrot top
I know he is out on licence. That is not really the point I'm making. Give it a rest Head Judge, Im just giving an opinion, is that allowed?

Your opinion is valid, your statement isn't. He hasn't "served his sentence" and that is a fact. That is the reason why he wasn't allowed to go abroad.

If he had finished his sentence I would agree with you that he should be allowed to continue his work.

The only issue for me is that he will always carry the baggage of his conviction regardless of whether it is upheld or overturned and that, right or wrong, makes a difference to a lot of people who are in charge of a lot of football clubs. They too are entitled to an opinion.

Posted by: pontoonlew, January 9, 2015, 2:07pm; Reply: 71

Your opinion is valid, your statement isn't. He hasn't "served his sentence" and that is a fact. That is the reason why he wasn't allowed to go abroad.

If he had finished his sentence I would agree with you that he should be allowed to continue his work.

The only issue for me is that he will always carry the baggage of his conviction regardless of whether it is upheld or overturned and that, right or wrong, makes a difference to a lot of people who are in charge of a lot of football clubs. They too are entitled to an opinion.

Barely anybody actually finishes a sentence in prison, it's not just Ched Evans who has been let out after half of his sentence, quite a large proportion of people sentenced actually serve it.

So the justice system have deemed it fit for him to return to work, you, the media or anybody else don't have the right to stop him.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 9, 2015, 2:22pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from pontoonlew

Barely anybody actually finishes a sentence in prison, it's not just Ched Evans who has been let out after half of his sentence, quite a large proportion of people sentenced actually serve it.

So the justice system have deemed it fit for him to return to work, you, the media or anybody else don't have the right to stop him.

Well Lew, just because a sentence isn't in prison does not mean it isn't a sentence does it? And ...... he hasn't finished his has he?

He can indeed go back to work in the UK, I'm not stopping him! Personally I think he's a prat and I wouldn't be keen on him coming here but it's not for me to say.

My point is that the people who own football clubs are as entitled to their opinion as you and me. It is up to them whether to shell out the cash to employ him or not. It is up to them to judge the reactions of their supporters, friends, families, sponsors and all the rest. It's not for me and thee to tell them how to spend their money is it?

The media is a pain and so is social media. It does lead to mob rule but what can anyone do about that now that there are 3 or more generations fixated on their phones and how many retweets they can get? We can moan about the BBC or the Daily Mail but it won't stop them from what they do. That's the way of the world.

Posted by: forza ivano, January 9, 2015, 2:24pm; Reply: 73
I'm in 2 minds about it, although I would find the prospect of him playing for us distinctly distasteful.The thought of him picking up a couple of thousand quid a week when his victim's life has been ruined is pretty repugnant. there is also the add on that we have appalling conviction rates for rape; if women see that this is going to be the outcome they are not going to bother going to the police which is a  far higher price for society to pay than 1 convicted rapist being unable to resume his chosen career.
However, as someone pointed out he would not be prevented from entering the House of Lords so why should he not be allowed to continue his trade as a footballer? If he were a plumber or a banker he would be allowed to resume his career so why not as a footballer?
Ah, many of said, because he is a role model to a legion of youngsters. i can see that if he is paying for Man City or Sheff Utd. but the line becomes a bit more blurred when it comes down to the likes of us or Oldham.
Presumably his detractors would not object to him playing for his mates team on a Sunday morning or the local village league? When does it become unacceptable? Louth United in front of 75 fans with him being paid expenses? Gainsborough part time in front of 500? Alfreton part time in front of 1000 etc etc

The other point is that he has been attacked for refusing to apologise. a) i understand he was advised by his legal reps that it would not be in his best interests pending appeals etc and b) why should he apologise if he sincerely believes he is innocent?

a very difficult subject but i think on the balance of probabilities Fenty made the right decision
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 9, 2015, 2:36pm; Reply: 74

Well Lew, just because a sentence isn't in prison does not mean it isn't a sentence does it? And ...... he hasn't finished his has he?

He can indeed go back to work in the UK, I'm not stopping him! Personally I think he's a prat and I wouldn't be keen on him coming here but it's not for me to say.

My point is that the people who own football clubs are as entitled to their opinion as you and me. It is up to them whether to shell out the cash to employ him or not. It is up to them to judge the reactions of their supporters, friends, families, sponsors and all the rest. It's not for me and thee to tell them how to spend their money is it?

The media is a pain and so is social media. It does lead to mob rule but what can anyone do about that now that there are 3 or more generations fixated on their phones and how many retweets they can get? We can moan about the BBC or the Daily Mail but it won't stop them from what they do. That's the way of the world.

The fact is, the majority of Oldham fans surveyed wanted him at the club, the majority of sponsors were happy to continue sponsoring Oldham and the majority of football fans in surveys I've seen believe he should return. But the media didn't report any of that, because it didn't fit in with their campaign. It's alright saying social media is a pain etc, but when the media won't even reflect the views of people it disagrees with, it concerns me slightly.

The owner didn't have a choice in whether he could sign Evans, the one sided media excrement storm decided for him.
Posted by: AlanPoutonsTackle, January 9, 2015, 3:20pm; Reply: 75
Only 3 people know what happened that night ? What about the 2 filming ?

If there were 2 people filming that were aware of the full circumstances that would have been an aid and abet. So I am discounting them.

Posted by: Neilo83, January 10, 2015, 7:45pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm in 2 minds about it, although I would find the prospect of him playing for us distinctly distasteful.The thought of him picking up a couple of thousand quid a week when his victim's life has been ruined is pretty repugnant. there is also the add on that we have appalling conviction rates for rape; if women see that this is going to be the outcome they are not going to bother going to the police which is a  far higher price for society to pay than 1 convicted rapist being unable to resume his chosen career.
However, as someone pointed out he would not be prevented from entering the House of Lords so why should he not be allowed to continue his trade as a footballer? If he were a plumber or a banker he would be allowed to resume his career so why not as a footballer?
Ah, many of said, because he is a role model to a legion of youngsters. i can see that if he is paying for Man City or Sheff Utd. but the line becomes a bit more blurred when it comes down to the likes of us or Oldham.
Presumably his detractors would not object to him playing for his mates team on a Sunday morning or the local village league? When does it become unacceptable? Louth United in front of 75 fans with him being paid expenses? Gainsborough part time in front of 500? Alfreton part time in front of 1000 etc etc

The other point is that he has been attacked for refusing to apologise. a) i understand he was advised by his legal reps that it would not be in his best interests pending appeals etc and b) why should he apologise if he sincerely believes he is innocent?

a very difficult subject but i think on the balance of probabilities Fenty made the right decision

Her old twitter account which she deleted suggests that her life is far from ruined, the pink mini and the holidays abroad for her and her friends (which she's paying for with her "win big money") tells me that she's doing alright!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 11, 2015, 12:46am; Reply: 77
Quoted from carrot top

Hear hear.

Not forgetting the three killers who are allowed to still play football.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 11, 2015, 12:49am; Reply: 78
Quoted from forza ivano

Pretty good summing up IMO.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 11, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Neilo83

Her old twitter account which she deleted suggests that her life is far from ruined, the pink mini and the holidays abroad for her and her friends (which she's paying for with her "win big money") tells me that she's doing alright!

Having been raped, then had your character trashed, then been hounded and stalked forcing her to change addresses on numerous occasions, I don't think treating yourself to a new car and going on holiday is terribly unreasonable
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:17am