Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2015, 3:07pm
PH on Hamish and the fans:

"It's nice the fans have taken to him but, in real terms, he hasn't yet done anything to warrant that really.

"Some of the other lads that have done it over 20-odd games, who then have an off-day, then get a bit of stick about it.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 7, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 1
hirsts out!
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 7, 2015, 3:18pm; Reply: 2
This 'us against them' attitude from Hurst is absolutely tiresome and bordering on infuriating.
Posted by: Maringer, January 7, 2015, 3:28pm; Reply: 3
It's funny how people react differently to these 'news' items depending on their viewpoint.

I read it and thought, yeah, I pretty much agree with that.

Others read the same thing and think, "RAAAARRRRR!".  :)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 7, 2015, 3:29pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Abdul19
hirsts out!

Who ?
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 7, 2015, 3:51pm; Reply: 5
Its just that he misses the point Grimsby fans will welcome any new player and we appreciate that Hamish has made considerable effort in traveling half way round the world and losing considerable weight to get fit.However should he be perceived as not being bothered he too will no doubt be criticised.Its all about giving him a fair chance.
Posted by: Doubled, January 7, 2015, 3:53pm; Reply: 6
PH is right in what he says, we have not seen much of the guy on the pitch yet
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 7, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 7
The dig about fans giving players stick when they play badly is completely unnecessary and does Hurst no favours. I'm not even sure who he's referring to anyway - I'd argue we only have a handful of players who could be considered to have "done it over 20-odd games" so far this season (Magnay, Pearson, McKeown, LJL) and none of those really get any stick from the fans when playing badly (apart from LJL when he misses easy chances - but that's borne out of frustration more than anything).
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 7, 2015, 4:26pm; Reply: 8
The way PH is acting I get a deja vu Neweel esq feeling.

Turn the fans against him so it's easy for JF to get rid, it seems the GTFC job is to big for him.
Posted by: EarAche, January 7, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 9
A nothing comment in the paper over analysed yet again
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 7, 2015, 5:11pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

"It's nice the fans have taken to him but, in real terms, he hasn't yet done anything to warrant that really.

"Some of the other lads that have done it over 20-odd games, who then have an off-day, then get a bit of stick about it.

what he doesnt realise is all town fans want at the minute is  anyone to show them that the next guy might be the one to show us something other than the usual shite have seen off the conveyer belt recently...

excuse the fans for wanting to grab a bit of hope !

Posted by: ska face, January 7, 2015, 5:29pm; Reply: 11
The thing is, bar comments on here every now and again, I think the fans are generally behind the players, certainly more so than I've seen for some time. I remember certain players getting dogs' abuse for no real reason (Parkinson, Hunt, Reddy, Bore, Mansaram), and some of that was absolutely toxic.

It's the attitudes towards the management that are currently negative, and he'd do well to realise that. When we're 2 down and Hurst puts a defensive midfielder like Parslow on, it's not Parslow that's getting the stick!

This is probably one of the most likeable, for lack of a better phrase, squads in recent memory for my money. There's only one person (well, two with JF) making snide digs at fans and turning people against the club.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 7, 2015, 5:34pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ska face
The thing is, bar comments on here every now and again, I think the fans are generally behind the players, certainly more so than I've seen for some time. I remember certain players getting dogs' abuse for no real reason (Parkinson, Hunt, Reddy, Bore, Mansaram), and some of that was absolutely toxic.

It's the attitudes towards the management that are currently negative, and he'd do well to realise that. When we're 2 down and Hurst puts a defensive midfielder like Parslow on, it's not Parslow that's getting the stick!

This is probably one of the most likeable, for lack of a better phrase, squads in recent memory for my money. There's only one person (well, two with JF) making snide digs at fans and turning people against the club.

This, we don't really have a side that is full of blokes here to pick up a wage. The players seem to be here because they want to be and on the whole the talent is there.

A restrictive manager is the reason fans groan, i'm sure if the shackles were released and with a couple of decent additions this squad would be a pleasure to watch.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2015, 5:37pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ska face

This. Probably the most talented squad we've had here since Slade's team and yet we seem to coach the flair and belief out of them.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 7, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 14
My immediate reaction was - well give the lad some games on the bounce then and we'll see what he can do.

The only part of their anatomy these squad players will ever get match fit is their backsides from sitting on the bench.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 7, 2015, 5:43pm; Reply: 15
I think the reasons Hamish is being supported is also a slightly anti Hurst thing, we cant proclaim Hamish to be anything as we havnt really seen him but we ask the questions about him as we dont understand why a manager states in the press he "has something about him and can certainly finish....it is unlike Hamish not to have tucked that away.." when giving feedback on the guy, acknowledges all season we need a striker, signs another one on loan, and the guy we have on a contract (albeit short term)  gets the odd appearance on the bench or from the bench ( 20 mins total now ? ) when he has been with us for 2 months(?).

Personally i dont think he looks fit enough and after a couple of months training with us he should be, so i think we are flogging a dead horse with Hamish and he wont amount to much more than a Chima...just a cult figure that never really was.

Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 7, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from pontoonlew
This 'us against them' attitude from Hurst is absolutely tiresome and bordering on infuriating.

Why shouldn't he have that attitude? He has said that we have the best away followings in the league and showed his gratitude to the fans.
Anyone who attends away games can see the difference on the pitch from the players and can see the confidence in the players with playing without fear. We have lost the least amount of away games in the conference this season (Aldershot and Lincoln) and that is because they are not playing against 2000 'fans' who starting abusing there own team once they misplace a pass or make a mistake. No wonder there are some of our players who dislike playing at BP with the poisonous atmosphere that surround the place. Mr Scott was an moron but some people need to watch his rant to understand that we are not in the championship anymore and that we are a non league team, the sooner some fans realise that we are all equals in this league the better. I think Hurst should perform a stunt like Mr Still did at Luton, that soon got rid of the attitude that they had a automatic right to beat the smaller clubs.
Posted by: Garth, January 7, 2015, 6:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not sure he means it that way, but if he did there can only be one winner
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 7, 2015, 6:05pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 1739

Why shouldn't he have that attitude? He has said that we have the best away followings in the league and showed his gratitude to the fans.
Anyone who attends away games can see the difference on the pitch from the players and can see the confidence in the players with playing without fear. We have lost the least amount of away games in the conference this season (Aldershot and Lincoln) and that is because they are not playing against 2000 'fans' who starting abusing there own team once they misplace a pass or make a mistake. No wonder there are some of our players who dislike playing at BP with the poisonous atmosphere that surround the place. Mr Scott was an moron but some people need to watch his rant to understand that we are not in the championship anymore and that we are a non league team, the sooner some fans realise that we are all equals in this league the better. I think Hurst should perform a stunt like Mr Still did at Luton, that soon got rid of the attitude that they had a automatic right to beat the smaller clubs.

Because away from home Hursts tactics work, pure and simple. We perform better away from home due to the 'soak it up and hit them on the break' tactics. Fans can accept that at away games.

What fans don't accept is the shite we turn in at home. It's nothing to do with this lazy excuse of 'fans expect to be in the Championship' no we don't, hell I don't even think anybody is stupid enough to think we're not all equals in this league. It doesn't matter who we're playing, fans just expect a certain level of effort to at least entertain. It's absolutely none existent at home games.

Hurst is just expecting everybody to 'buy in to what we're doing' we've heard that line a thousand times. The fact is, we've tried to buy in but the fact is it's boring as hell to watch. Fans will take so much, but we're not idiots, the place isn't silent for no reason, it's silent because the majority of the crowd are bored to flipping tears.

Posted by: friskneymariner, January 7, 2015, 6:09pm; Reply: 19
It is a unrealistic expectation to believe a competent football team should be able to do the basics such as taking a corner.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 7, 2015, 7:13pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 1739

Bollox.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, January 7, 2015, 7:26pm; Reply: 21
Hurst is pretty much spot on with his statement IMO
Whether or not he should be making it is another matter

Posted by: Stevie Saunders, January 7, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 22
I agree with a lot of what Grimsby's Finest has written despite the now obligatory 'insult' of bollox...somethings, sadly, will never change
What I would add is that we are not being entertained at BP which is the bread and butter for most fans
Better get ready for an insult I suspect?!!??
Posted by: DocTower, January 7, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
Hurst is pretty much spot on with his statement IMO
Whether or not he should be making it is another matter

I would have thought by now Hurst knows how the majority of fans feel . Has the whole thing gone too far now ?  Probably .
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 7, 2015, 7:35pm; Reply: 24
I agree with a lot of what Grimsby's Finest has written despite the now obligatory 'insult' of bollox...somethings, sadly, will never change
What I would add is that we are not being entertained at BP which is the bread and butter for most fans
Better get ready for an insult I suspect?!!??

Bollox.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, January 7, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 25
Cheers JonnyBoy82!!
Knew you wouldn't let me down with your cheeky-chappy wit which it must have taken you years to fine tune
The Fishy's very own Oscar Wilde..
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 7, 2015, 7:43pm; Reply: 26
Cheers JonnyBoy82!!
Knew you wouldn't let me down with your cheeky-chappy wit which it must have taken you years to fine tune
The Fishy's very own Oscar Wilde..

No worries  :)
Posted by: TAGG, January 7, 2015, 7:57pm; Reply: 27
The mans a blithering buffoon spouting more buffoonery :-)
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 7, 2015, 8:01pm; Reply: 28
You know what O.W. said there is only one thing worse than being talked about,that is not being talked about.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 7, 2015, 8:34pm; Reply: 29
I think everyone is getting a bit wound up about nothing, he likes to protect the players and I think he shoulders the criticism when he defends them, I often think he speaks a lot of sense most of the time. We have had managers who will blame the players after a defeat, he very rarely criticises his team or will single a player out in public, I imagine it's different in private and I like that.  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 7, 2015, 8:37pm; Reply: 30
The fact is, whether those comments were a dig at the fans or not, they are being seen as such, so something somewhere aint right. For one reason or another, Hurst is not endearing himself to the fans and i don't believe he ever will now.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 7, 2015, 8:45pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from pontoonlew

Because away from home Hursts tactics work, pure and simple. We perform better away from home due to the 'soak it up and hit them on the break' tactics. Fans can accept that at away games.

What fans don't accept is the shite we turn in at home. It's nothing to do with this lazy excuse of 'fans expect to be in the Championship' no we don't, hell I don't even think anybody is stupid enough to think we're not all equals in this league. It doesn't matter who we're playing, fans just expect a certain level of effort to at least entertain. It's absolutely none existent at home games.

Hurst is just expecting everybody to 'buy in to what we're doing' we've heard that line a thousand times. The fact is, we've tried to buy in but the fact is it's boring as hell to watch. Fans will take so much, but we're not idiots, the place isn't silent for no reason, it's silent because the majority of the crowd are bored to flipping tears.

Hurst's game plan is based up on the defence and he would rather win games than make it entertaining for the fans. He puts the game plan before entertainment.  We can review our style of play once we get back into the league but the priority has to be achieving league football by what ever means possible asap however we must not risk this throw money we don't have at it and potentially bankrupt the club . The longer this club is in this division the harder it is going to become to get out of the division with more 'smaller' clubs getting big investors and Towns budget being slashed more and more each year. How many more  years can Town last on making losses of around quarter  a million pound? If we were not within 5 points of the play-off spots then I would also be calling for Hurst's head but we are in a good solid position at this moment in time to get a play-off spot.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 7, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sorry, who just can't resist?

This is boring beyond belief.
Posted by: barralad, January 7, 2015, 9:20pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think everyone is getting a bit wound up about nothing, he likes to protect the players and I think he shoulders the criticism when he defends them, I often think he speaks a lot of sense most of the time. We have had managers who will blame the players after a defeat, he very rarely criticises his team or will single a player out in public, I imagine it's different in private and I like that.  

It isn't everyone though-just the usual suspects and four more pages, with nothing new, about P.H.s shortcomings...Guess what people. We get it!
Posted by: the rhino, January 7, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 34
Change the record old codger! Your bully boy posts are getting rather tedious and very predictable!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from the rhino
Change the record old codger! Your bully boy posts are getting rather tedious and very predictable!

An observation is bullying?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 7, 2015, 10:17pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from barralad

It isn't everyone though-just the usual suspects and four more pages, with nothing new, about P.H.s shortcomings...Guess what people. We get it!

If you think it is just "the usual suspects" on here, then you obviously don't get it. Just about every Town fan i know has either had enough or is close to it. I can't find anyone recently who has a good word to say about Hurst.

You may hear differently but that's the feeling among all the Town fans i know.

I've no axe to grind with you by the way.
Posted by: ackomariner, January 7, 2015, 10:25pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

If you think it is just "the usual suspects" on here, then you obviously don't get it. Just about every Town fan i know has either had enough or is close to it. I can't find anyone recently who has a good word to say about Hurst.

Same with me to tbh,, blokes at work want him gone
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2015, 10:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from barralad

I don't care whether he stays or goes. Same with Fenty. I want GTFC back in the league playing decent football.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 7, 2015, 10:45pm; Reply: 39
Bit of a mountain out of a mole hill I read that in a different light just the manager backing up his players nowt wrong with that. Old Buckley was often moaned at by some about his favorites and his lack of praise for the fans but he always did things his way. Maybe we should just see what reaction the team take they must all know what as gone on here. I once mentioned the fishy in the club shop and got some very interesting comments no love lost I can tell ya.
Posted by: ackomariner, January 7, 2015, 10:58pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Bit of a mountain out of a mole hill I read that in a different light just the manager backing up his players nowt wrong with that. Old Buckley was often moaned at by some about his favorites and his lack of praise for the fans but he always did things his way. Maybe we should just see what reaction the team take they must all know what as gone on here. I once mentioned the fishy in the club shop and got some very interesting comments no love lost I can tell ya.

What I said the other day..."the truth hurts"
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 8, 2015, 1:57am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

It just wasn't lack of praise for the fans he often had a dig or should I say comment about the fans in a similar way to what Hurst keeps doing now and when you consider Buckley was probably Town's greatest ever manager, there were fans who were glad to see the back of him, I remember after he left to go to West Brom there was a box in the Findus Stand decked out with balloons and streamers in celebration of him going. :-/
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), January 8, 2015, 10:24am; Reply: 42
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I believe at times PH is watching a different game to the fans. I would like to see him get animated on the touch line when things go wrong or in his eyes they dont??? standing with hands in pockets gives the impression its all going to plan and he wont accept certain players are under performing and need a kick up the bum, then complains when the fans do it for him. :(
Posted by: Biccys, January 8, 2015, 12:31pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from arryarryarry

It just wasn't lack of praise for the fans he often had a dig or should I say comment about the fans in a similar way to what Hurst keeps doing now and when you consider Buckley was probably Town's greatest ever manager, there were fans who were glad to see the back of him, I remember after he left to go to West Brom there was a box in the Findus Stand decked out with balloons and streamers in celebration of him going. :-/

And it definitely wasn't someone's birthday party?
Posted by: barralad, January 8, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

And I don't have any axe to grind with you either  :) My gripe is that just about every thread of late seems to want to point out Hurst's shortcomings-I have no issue with that per se but they don't say anything different.I was only part joking when I mentioned the other day that certain posters could copy and paste their central point into any thread. For me it detracts from the overall incisive debate that the Fishy used to be famous for.
I can assure you that I DO get the dissatisfaction with Hurst-some of the arguments are pretty well made but the repetition is simply tedious.
I certainly know a lot of Town fans who are unhappy at the moment but not many who want to see him go now. Any neutral coming on here would be forgiven for thinking Town were in a relegation dog fight not in the top four
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2015, 3:06pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from barralad

And I don't have any axe to grind with you either  :) My gripe is that just about every thread of late seems to want to point out Hurst's shortcomings-I have no issue with that per se but they don't say anything different.I was only part joking when I mentioned the other day that certain posters could copy and paste their central point into any thread. For me it detracts from the overall incisive debate that the Fishy used to be famous for.
I can assure you that I DO get the dissatisfaction with Hurst-some of the arguments are pretty well made but the repetition is simply tedious.
I certainly know a lot of Town fans who are unhappy at the moment but not many who want to see him go now. Any neutral coming on here would be forgiven for thinking Town were in a relegation dog fight not in the top four

Fair enough. Most fans i know want to see him gone now but i think their heart is ruling their heads.

I'm not a fan of Hurst but now is not the time to change IMO. You never know, he may make a couple of decent signings, have a change of tactics and go all guns blazing, but somehow i doubt that.

I live in hope as usual.
Posted by: mariner91, January 8, 2015, 3:15pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from ginnywings

Fear enough. Most fans i know want to see him gone now but i think their heart is ruling their heads.

I'm not a fan of Hurst but now is not the time to change IMO. You never know, he may make a couple of decent signings, have a change of tactics and go all guns blazing, but somehow i doubt that.

I live in hope as usual.

Agree with this. Changing now wouldn't help us, it never normally helps us to change mid-season. But without either promotion or a huge improvement in performances then he should go in the summer.
Posted by: DocTower, January 8, 2015, 3:52pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from mariner91

Agree with this. Changing now wouldn't help us, it never normally helps us to change mid-season. But without either promotion or a huge improvement in performances then he should go in the summer.

And he probably knows it , being realistic I feel he is so stuck in his ways we won't see a change . Hopes I'm wrong , would love to be proved wrong ,
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 8, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 48
Reading the footy book I got for Christmas,

Its says 95% of people have an interest in football,

BUT

Only 2% really understand the game,

They are the ones playing or managing professional teams,

So after 60 years of watching football,

I know nothing, isn't that right Mr Hurst ?

I presume the x's  I am getting is because you do not agree I know nothing,

Thank You,  I think  ;D
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:59pm