Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 7, 2015, 11:59am
have received investment from the US

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-30703040
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 7, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
So now the question is, how did they attract the investment in the first place?  There's an article from August 2013 where they was trying to get investment from Asia.

Link >> [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23855640]Alfreton Town are in discussions with an Asian-based consortium about securing new investment[/url]
Posted by: cleefish, January 7, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 2
:( :( :( :( what as happened to our  rich yank backer or A NY one who is intersted
Posted by: Abdul19, January 7, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 3
Mr Hitchcock said: "This is chance for Alfreton to become successful - not just in Amber Valley and England but also globally."

Won't hold my breath on this!
Posted by: acko338, January 7, 2015, 1:35pm; Reply: 4
Q - Are any firm connections being sought for external investment for this club?

JF won't want to lose his benign loans through administration, so a sale would get those funds back to him.

For a stadium to succeed, and the team to go forward, and hopefully upwards, surely we need more outside investment and a more financially stable board, not just relying on the benevolence of one main (fan) director?

I'd love to know how much in FA loans or similar funding could currently be in place for new ground or ground improvements, so the ground level fans know what the problem is with future stadium finance.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 7, 2015, 2:17pm; Reply: 5
I don't think it's a case of the funds on the board being unstable, I think it's more a case (as previously mentioned) money being wasted (sic) on loan signings and players that are deemed not good enough. Money will only get tighter and tighter with falling crowds and I would assume a drop in season ticket sales should we not be promoted or indeed something happen on the pitch.
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 7, 2015, 11:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from cleefish
:( :( :( :( what as happened to our  rich yank backer or A NY one who is intersted

Careful what you wish for. For al his faults, give me John Fenty who is local and Town through and through. There are ever more examples of outside investors with little or no previous connection or "heart" in the club or area that have tried to change the identities of teams.

I want success for Town but not at any cost: I want it to still be Town as well.
Posted by: TAGG, January 8, 2015, 12:19am; Reply: 7
Quoted from MarinerWY

Careful what you wish for. For al his faults, give me John Fenty who is local and Town through and through. There are ever more examples of outside investors with little or no previous connection or "heart" in the club or area that have tried to change the identities of teams.

I want success for Town but not at any cost: I want it to still be Town as well.

And a flipping fat lot of good its done us.

Nice 1960s attitude though  ;D
Posted by: petethemariner, January 8, 2015, 12:29am; Reply: 8
No idea what the potential 'investment' in Alfreton may be,probably not a lot, but you have at least to give them credit for
trying to better their club,it does beg the question though that if there are potential investors in a club that can barely raise 800 fans,
why is their no interest in GTFC?After all Mr Fenty has consistently said he would welcome investors  into our club, but then again
it would be presumably on his terms, less than a controlling interest (some might  say good) and then again there are the ever
faithtfull 'benign' loans that the club owe him.
Its what, only less than 5 seasons since we dropped into this league and our first game was against a side no-one had heard of -
Crawley, a previously tin -pot outfit that a wealthy investor took a punt on and look what they have achieved.
Makes you wonder though doesn't it?
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2015, 8:06am; Reply: 9
Actually, can we change the terminology here?

When it comes to lower league football clubs, money put in is not really an 'investment' per se as there is no realistic expectation of a return. The word we ought to be using is 'benefactor'. The only time you get an investment is when dodgy businessmen get involved with clubs in an attempt to buy the land out from underneath them and turn their ground into supermarkets or houses. Luckily, we don't need to worry about this as the land at BP is worth sodomist all.

As for the Alfreton story, am I the only one that reads the article and thinks that the whole thing sounds very dodgy indeed? Talk about American and Caribbean players coming over here takes no account of work permits and the 'Fort Worth Vaqueros' are playing in the 4th tier of US football - probably only just about semi-pro level when you consider the MLS is undoubtedly weaker than even our second tier of football (the Championship).
Posted by: moosey_club, January 8, 2015, 10:19pm; Reply: 10
Was it Workington that have / had an extremely rich yank backing them?

Off the top of my head i cant think of any US involvement in a footy team over here that has brought any great success, from Tranmere in the mid eighties to Villa, Liverpool and Man Utd nowadays.

Hardly a track record to be excited about.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:21am