Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 6, 2015, 12:16pm
Did anybody see the Wimbledon game last night,

Akinfenwa looked if he was 20 stone but he put himself about and scared the shite out of Liverpool,

Just proves what you can do if you put the effort in,

Quick reactions to score a goal also.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 6, 2015, 12:28pm; Reply: 1
Scored from close range but didnt look very effective to me. Slow and gave away countless free kicks.

Plus he's a wimp! ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 6, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from BIGChris
Scored from close range but didnt look very effective to me. Slow and gave away countless free kicks.

Plus he's a wimp! ;)

Really? He might not be quick but he terrified the Liverpool central defenders and some of his hold up play was at least as good as the prem players at the other end. Together with Tubbs  he makes a pretty good strike force I reckon.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 6, 2015, 12:42pm; Reply: 3
Imagine if we could get him, he would be lethal in this league imo.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 6, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 4
I wasn't terribly impressed with him. Liverpool seemed terrified of corners and packed penalty areas generally more than him alone, short of prodding the ball over the line and some hold up play he didn't look overly dangerous. Thought the Yeovil forwards looked livelier against Man Utd earlier.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 6, 2015, 1:00pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from RoboCod
I wasn't terribly impressed with him. Liverpool seemed terrified of corners and packed penalty areas generally more than him alone, short of prodding the ball over the line and some hold up play he didn't look overly dangerous. Thought the Yeovil forwards looked livelier against Man Utd earlier.

It's all about blending a team though isn't it? Yes he lumbers about and no is is never going to chase down a defender in the corner or outpace anyone to a through ball, but they had other players to do that. When the ball needed holding up though he was your man, allowing others to get with him.

Town have a player who can do that as well. The difference is that we don't have pacy wingers who can cross a ball and we don't have midfielders with the pace and stamina to make runs past the front two. When you do that you can play a goalscorer like Tubbs (Hannah?) and not need to worry about offsides.

Posted by: TAGG, January 6, 2015, 1:05pm; Reply: 6
booked
10 fouls
scored a goal after some great defending and even better goalkeeping
slow
cant play football
apart from that he was excrement
Posted by: RoboCod, January 6, 2015, 1:28pm; Reply: 7

It's all about blending a team though isn't it? Yes he lumbers about and no is is never going to chase down a defender in the corner or outpace anyone to a through ball, but they had other players to do that. When the ball needed holding up though he was your man, allowing others to get with him.

Town have a player who can do that as well. The difference is that we don't have pacy wingers who can cross a ball and we don't have midfielders with the pace and stamina to make runs past the front two. When you do that you can play a goalscorer like Tubbs (Hannah?) and not need to worry about offsides.

Agree about the wingers and the whole build-up but Akinfenwa just didn't do much for me. Thought he looked too large to do anything but knock people over, but he didn't seem to do that. I remember him being a better, sharper player a coupe of years back though.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 6, 2015, 1:34pm; Reply: 8
I wonder if he's believing his own hype a bit too much and putting muscle on up top for the sake of it. All the Beast Mode and strongest player in the world stuff etc.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, January 6, 2015, 1:34pm; Reply: 9
An unfit version of Lenny ?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 6, 2015, 1:36pm; Reply: 10
He gave everything OK it wasn't much but he still gave it
Posted by: WappingMariner, January 6, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 11
He's certainly graceful when answering questions from the press. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJirxV0Azqw If only all footballers could answers questions like he did last night.
Posted by: Garth, January 6, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 12
Sixteen stone footballer is silly, all the great players throughout time are all small and light ie, Messi, Maradona, Finney, Mathews, Aguarier, Greaves, Best Boylen and many many more
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2015, 1:53pm; Reply: 13
Akinfenwa is a bit of a cult hero judging by my lad's comments about previous Wimbledon games. And why not.

Mind you his belly is bigger than mine so there's hope for me yet!
Posted by: Abdul19, January 6, 2015, 2:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Garth
Sixteen stone footballer is silly, all the great players throughout time are all small and light ie, Messi, Maradona, Finney, Mathews, Aguarier, Greaves, Best Boylen and many many more

Relevant comparisons to a 4th division player!
Posted by: Garth, January 6, 2015, 2:36pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19

Relevant comparisons to a 4th division player!

;D ;D ;D ;D you know it makes sense Rodders
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 6, 2015, 3:36pm; Reply: 16
I seem to recall him turning us down years ago and opting for Northampton
Posted by: Maringer, January 6, 2015, 4:15pm; Reply: 17
I think Akinfenwa has probably gone a bit too far now. He was absolutely dripping with sweat with just 5 minutes gone last night and had very little in the way of mobility. I remember him playing us back in our League days and looking very useful as a player - he was merely massive back then instead of ridiculously big.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 6, 2015, 5:21pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TAGG
booked
10 fouls
scored a goal after some great defending and even better goalkeeping
slow
cant play football
apart from that he was excrement

pretty much what i saw, only reason he got any attention from the media is because he is a side show attraction, certainly not down to ability, would cringe having to watch him every week.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2015, 6:34pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

pretty much what i saw, only reason he got any attention from the media is because he is a side show attraction, certainly not down to ability, would cringe having to watch him every week.

I'd go by the opinions of the Wimbledon supporters not by the noise created by the media circus (which is all the BBC football coverage is these days). From what I gather, they're happy to have him.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 6, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I'd go by the opinions of the Wimbledon supporters not by the noise created by the media circus (which is all the BBC football coverage is these days). From what I gather, they're happy to have him.

i will go with my own eyes, the guy wasnt mobile in any way shape or form, constantly pushed and barged people around giving away constant free kicks disrupting his own teams momentum, had little influence in open play, couldnt sustain anything like a sprint for more than ten yards....
now Tubbs has left them he is left as their main striker, wonder how happy their fans will be in a few weeks time with him.  
Posted by: BIGChris, January 6, 2015, 8:14pm; Reply: 21
Perhaps Matt Tubbs is on his way to BP?? ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30699732
Posted by: ginnywings, January 6, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from BIGChris
Perhaps Matt Tubbs is on his way to BP?? ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30699732

I heard Portsmouth or Bristol City.

Hope it's us but I doubt it.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 6, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

Me too
Posted by: RoboCod, January 6, 2015, 8:59pm; Reply: 24
Seem to remember Tubbs pretty much counting out any move up North. Ever.

How's Bogle doing?
Posted by: BIGChris, January 6, 2015, 9:04pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RoboCod
Seem to remember Tubbs pretty much counting out any move up North. Ever.

How's Bogle doing?

Before or after he signed for Rotherham?
Posted by: Abdul19, January 6, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

Surely we can compete with tinpot shite like that?  ;)
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 6, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 27
Better start feeding JL lots of Cheese Burgers.............
Posted by: RoboCod, January 6, 2015, 9:08pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from BIGChris

Before or after he signed for Rotherham?

Before. Unless it's an admin-manipulating, high wage paying League club.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 6, 2015, 9:24pm; Reply: 29
A big unit but not very mobile looked really out of condition to me the amount of sweat was a dead giveaway. Seen some large rugby players who are a lot fitter than him. 16 stone not ideally suited to play footy even at non league level.
Posted by: mimma, January 6, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 30
He came on for Northampton in the cup game here last season.

Looked very slow & cumbersome,  rubbish.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 6, 2015, 10:29pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from mimma

That must've been someone else as he was at Gillingham last season!
Posted by: BIGChris, January 7, 2015, 6:51am; Reply: 32
Quoted from mimma

Think that was Clive Platt
Posted by: Maringer, January 7, 2015, 8:22am; Reply: 33
Akinfenwa was playing for Gillingham last season so it's a pretty good bet he didn't play against us!  :)
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:34am