Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, January 3, 2015, 11:01am
Some of you may have noticed that we now show the net number of ticks and crosses of each post (i.e. a tick is +1 and a cross is -1) rather than the number of of each type of vote. So if a post received 4 ticks and 3 crosses it will have a score of +1.

Make sure you refresh the page to get the latest CSS as I have changed the layout recently.
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 3, 2015, 11:17am; Reply: 1
Just get rid !!! They create Bias , they may think a poster is talking rubbish because of the x
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2015, 11:30am; Reply: 2
Not fussed whether we have them or not but can't see the point of an aggregate score as it were.

A post could get 20 ticks and crosses and register as 0. What's the point?
Posted by: mariner tommy, January 3, 2015, 12:03pm; Reply: 3
What is CSS please ?

UTM
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 4
Cascading Style Sheet.

It's an internet design thing which controls how a site is displayed.

Horrendously complex for the uninitiated so I'd ignore it if I were you!
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 3, 2015, 12:29pm; Reply: 5
Its a load of rubbish , get rid.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 3, 2015, 12:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from fleabag1970
Just get rid !!! They create Bias , they may think a poster is talking rubbish because of the x

Sometimes it's spot on though  :P
Posted by: wigworld, January 3, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 7
I couldn't get less! Those who get upset about them should get out more!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 3, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 8
non football surely   ;-)
Posted by: GrimRob, January 3, 2015, 1:56pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete
Its a load of rubbish , get rid.

You can always turn this feature off, as a small number of people like you have chosen to do so.For most people it's either something they either ignore or use a way of giving quick feedback on a post. It's a familiar concept that appears across a wide range of forums and social media.
Posted by: LH, January 3, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 10
Why not just have a single "like" if the plan is to stick with it? Can't see the sense in aggregating as Ginny said.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 3, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from LH
Why not just have a single "like" if the plan is to stick with it? Can't see the sense in aggregating as Ginny said.

The problem with just having Like is someone puts a post on saying Sack Hurst and 12 people "like" it, then it gives a totally false impression. But if 12 people approve of it and 9 people disapprove of it (i.e. +3 in the new system) then it tells a totally different story. The reason for giving an aggregate score is to show whether the community broadly agrees or disagrees with a post.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 3, 2015, 2:31pm; Reply: 12
Why not have a forum vote, for and against?  Let democracy decide it's fate (Confused)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 3, 2015, 2:50pm; Reply: 13
I think that for this forum the aggregate idea is a bad one Rob. The old system at least gave the poster an idea of whether his/her opinion had registered in the minds of fellow posters even if the red crosses were in the majority. An aggregate gives no feedback at all. A zero could be because there are 20 ticks and 20 crosses or 0 ticks and 0 crosses.

I know a lot of sites like the GT do use aggregate scoring but for the Fishy we should have what suits us not change for the sake of uniformity with other sites.
Posted by: Rick12, January 3, 2015, 2:55pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from fleabag1970
Spot on for me.Like mentioned before why not get rid of the rep thing as well and just have a rating for a single post thats not  accumalative.For me the fishy would be a much better site for for it .Incidentally this is how a lot of other footy sites work as well

Posted by: GrimRob, January 3, 2015, 3:01pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Rick12
Spot on for me.Like mentioned before why not get rid of the rep thing as well and just have a rating for a single post thats not  accumalative.For me the fishy would be a much better site for for it .Incidentally this is how a lot of other footy sites work as well

Show me an example of how you think it should work.
Posted by: Tommy, January 3, 2015, 3:01pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from GrimRob

The problem with just having Like is someone puts a post on saying Sack Hurst and 12 people "like" it, then it gives a totally false impression. But if 12 people approve of it and 9 people disapprove of it (i.e. +3 in the new system) then it tells a totally different story. The reason for giving an aggregate score is to show whether the community broadly agrees or disagrees with a post.

If 12 people approved and 9 people disapproved, I think most of us would be capable of working out which number was higher as displayed previously in the tick/cross boxes. Without the need for this tricky bit of maths to be done for us.

Appreciate you're looking at ways to improve the site Rob but I don't think this needed altering.
Posted by: Rick12, January 3, 2015, 3:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

Show me an example of how you think it should work.
Look at the" football forum more than a game "Robb.Probably the football forum with the most traffic and this is how they do it.Single like for a thread and to be fair you could add  a dislike button as well to get a measure of the view point amongst the fans but I dont think accumulative is the way to go.Apart from that Robb its a good site for us fans and I appreciate the work that goes into it
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 3, 2015, 3:12pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob
Some of you may have noticed that we now show the net number of ticks and crosses of each post (i.e. a tick is +1 and a cross is -1) rather than the number of of each type of vote. So if a post received 4 ticks and 3 crosses it will have a score of +1.

Make sure you refresh the page to get the latest CSS as I have changed the layout recently.

Why fix it when it aint broke  :-/
And it gives you less feedback

Posted by: Chrisblor, January 3, 2015, 5:18pm; Reply: 19
Put it back to how it used to be. An aggregate score is useless.
Posted by: denni266, January 3, 2015, 5:46pm; Reply: 20
Wonder how many ticks and crosses hurst would get ???????????
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 3, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 21
Can't we have naughts and crosses instead, like they did in Terrahawks.  

Blast from the past here.

[youtube]7-OzHimol0s[/youtube]
Posted by: GrimRob, January 4, 2015, 9:32am; Reply: 22
Quoted from promotion plaice

Why fix it when it aint broke  :-/
And it gives you less feedback

I think on balance I agree with you. I was persuaded it was broke when personally I was ok with it. I prefer it the way it was so I have changed it back, although I have left the net score in place as well at the moment.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, January 4, 2015, 9:48am; Reply: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

I think on balance I agree with you. I was persuaded it was broke when personally I was ok with it. I prefer it the way it was so I have changed it back, although I have left the net score in place as well at the moment.

Surely this deserves a few ticks? Three pages of folks telling Rob it was better before so he reinstalls the original features. Ce on fishy folk let's improve his ratings lol
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:15am