Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 2, 2015, 11:50am
Grimsby played host to multi international side Arsenal and lost 4-3 in a crackinG FAC tie. Memories of the game include Arsenal fans being given the Pontoon for the day - which didn't go down well! Charlie Nicholas grabbed his one and only hat trick for the Gunners, and the game being shown on MOTD.

Photo shows Roy of the Rovers, sorry, Mike Lyons outjumping Viv Anderson, with Gary Lund and David O'Learly also shown. Lyons went up to play the last 15 minutes at centre forward, as he often did when we were losing. Under his leadership, it has to be said, that wasn't a particularly uncommon occurence.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2wf77n7.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 11:58am; Reply: 1
Quoted from jock dock tower
Grimsby played host to multi international side Arsenal and lost 4-3 in a crackinG FAC tie. Memories of the game include Arsenal fans being given the Pontoon for the day - which didn't go down well! Charlie Nicholas grabbed his one and only hat trick for the Gunners, and the game being shown on MOTD ITV's "The Big Match"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/BigMatch83-88.html

Photo shows Roy of the Rovers, sorry, Mike Lyons outjumping Viv Anderson, with Gary Lund and David O'Learly also shown. Lyons went up to play the last 15 minutes at centre forward, as he often did when we were losing. Under his leadership, it has to be said, that wasn't a particularly uncommon occurence.

Slight edit there Jock...we were the first football to be featured on TV that season and what a game it was!
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 2, 2015, 12:04pm; Reply: 2
I thought we were the first televised game because of a dispute with the Football League over money, but tried MOTD on Wikipedia and nothing on there, so assumed I was having a senior moment!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 12:17pm; Reply: 3
There was some kind of dispute that couldn't be resolved until they found a game worth showing...   :P

On the link I found it states

Negotiations between TV companies and the Football League remained deadlocked throughout the first half of the season, there was no football on TV in England & Wales (apart from Internationals and newsreels on Saturday night News bulletins) until January 1986. When football returned to our TV screens, both the BBC and ITV decided to show highlights on Saturday nights and the live games on Sunday afternoons (but only one channel would screen a programme on any given weekend, except FA Cup weekends when one channel would have highlights and the other a live game)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 2, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 4
Stood in the osmond corner it was shite remember us singing to Charlie Nicolas page three girl Sam Fox to get her mammaries out for the crowd Charlie answered in the best way by scoring a hat trick.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 2, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 5
My wife and I were sat in the Osmond that day

One of Lyons better games ( the team I mean )

We did not have a lot of those,

No disgrace losing to the gunners.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 3:00pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pushing the boat out there Pete...you should have stood in the Osmond with the rest of us stamping our feet to ward off the cold ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 2, 2015, 3:00pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pushing the boat out there Pete...you should have stood in the Osmond with the rest of us stamping our feet to ward off the cold ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 2, 2015, 4:29pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jock dock tower
Grimsby played host to multi international side Arsenal and lost 4-3 in a crackinG FAC tie. Memories of the game include Arsenal fans being given the Pontoon for the day - which didn't go down well! Charlie Nicholas grabbed his one and only hat trick for the Gunners, and the game being shown on MOTD.

Did you know that Mick Lyons owned the match ball and that's why he took all the throw ins, free kicks and corners  ;)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 2, 2015, 6:18pm; Reply: 9
I also sat in the Osmond seats but I seem to recall rather than Town giving Arsenal the Pontoon that day the Club gave the Pontoon to away fans for the full Season maybe 2 Seasons on police advice I was certainly in the Osmond to see Town relegated by Hull?
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 3, 2015, 12:10am; Reply: 10
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I also sat in the Osmond seats but I seem to recall rather than Town giving Arsenal the Pontoon that day the Club gave the Pontoon to away fans for the full Season maybe 2 Seasons on police advice I was certainly in the Osmond to see Town relegated by Hull?

Town certainly made the Pontoon the visitors stand, a disgraceful decision at the time I thought.

Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:42pm