Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 1, 2015, 10:41am
Think this is against Scunthorpe on the opening day of the 1971-2 season against Scunny. We won 4-1 and it set the scene for the most amazing season. Sir Matt got a hat trick that day, and incredibly two of the were weren't headers.

The atmosphere surrounding the club that Lawrie Mac had generated in just a few weeks was incredible, and 7,500 packed into BP for this game, and I well remember the Scunny fans entering the ground early and settling themselves into the back of the Pontoon. There was a lot of crowd trouble that day before Grimsby eventually chased them out at half time. Was it really 43 years ago????

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/f1378.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 1, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 1
There was certainly a game much later than this one when the Scunny fans arrived very early and set up in the Pontoon and the police didn't make them leave and the Town fans had to house themselves in the Osmond.
Posted by: misterx, January 1, 2015, 10:09pm; Reply: 2
Was there!!  ;D
Posted by: BIGChris, January 1, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 3
I was in that open corner between Ponny and Main for that game
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 1, 2015, 10:32pm; Reply: 4
I was Bus driving at the time,

My conductor got married on that day,( he was not a footy fan )

He held his do after the ceremony in the old hut that was behind the Barretts,

So when I got the chance, I kept nipping out to see how the game was progressing.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 1, 2015, 10:33pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from arryarryarry
There was certainly a game much later than this one when the Scunny fans arrived very early and set up in the Pontoon and the police didn't make them leave and the Town fans had to house themselves in the Osmond.

Year ?
Posted by: newfootballer, January 5, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jock dock tower
Think this is against Scunthorpe on the opening day of the 1971-2 season against Scunny. We won 4-1 and it set the scene for the most amazing season. Sir Matt got a hat trick that day, and incredibly two of the were weren't headers.

The atmosphere surrounding the club that Lawrie Mac had generated in just a few weeks was incredible, and 7,500 packed into BP for this game, and I well remember the Scunny fans entering the ground early and settling themselves into the back of the Pontoon. There was a lot of crowd trouble that day before Grimsby eventually chased them out at half time. Was it really 43 years ago????

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/f1378.jpg[/IMG]

Think this goal came from one of my corners, Sir Matt as he is well known by was an exceptional striker who I had the utmost confidance in. Mick Hickman was also a brilliant  team player indeed. What a good picture that is indeed.
New footballer Dave Boylen who played in that game.

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 5, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Year ?

Can't remember.

There was also a game against Middlesbrough when they brought several thousand and housed themselves in the Pontoon, that must have been in the late 60s I think as I used to stand in the Osmond in those days with my dad.

I remember looking at the Pontoon and seeing a sea of red & white with a small enclave of black & white completely surrounded. There were also a crew of the Boro in the Osmond as well that day, I can't remember if there was any trouble though.

We beat them 2-1 if my memory serves me correctly. :)

Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, January 5, 2015, 3:44pm; Reply: 8
I remember this very well. It was only a few days after we'd beat Japan in a friendly 7-2 wasn't it? Remember Scunny hoisting a Union Jack with their name across the Ponny and then being forcibly ejected when Town fans actually turned up.  :)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 5, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 9
I was in the top centre of the Pontoon along with quite of few other fans from Mablethorpe.  

Alas as ever supporting Town, this great season was to be a big "miss".  I joined the RAF as an apprentice at Hereford in Jan 72.  We were not allowed home at weekends so very few games seen.  :(  In those days, had to reply on Telegraph footy papers sent from home.  (The equivalent of food parcels in WW", only better!).  :)

I still think of that last missed game beating Exeter 3-0 to get the championship.  22,000!!!

To make things worse, I even turned down a free ticket to see the Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup replay, to my lasting shame.  We had bull-nights to do and discipline was very strict.This tipped the balance not to go.  I was 3 miles away.  
Posted by: LH, January 5, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I was in the top centre of the Pontoon along with quite of few other fans from Mablethorpe.  

Alas as ever supporting Town, this great season was to be a big "miss".  I joined the RAF as an apprentice at Hereford in Jan 72.  We were not allowed home at weekends so very few games seen.  :(  In those days, had to reply on Telegraph footy papers sent from home.  (The equivalent of food parcels in WW", only better!).  :)

I still think of that last missed game beating Exeter 3-0 to get the championship.  22,000!!!

To make things worse, I even turned down a free ticket to see the Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup replay, to my lasting shame.  We had bull-nights to do and discipline was very strict.This tipped the balance not to go.  I was 3 miles away.  

Nowadays I just ask the FS for an afternoon off for midweek games and I've only  worked about 6 weekends in 6 years. Bullnight? Only a half hour job with the cleaners we have in the blocks now  ;).
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 5, 2015, 9:55pm; Reply: 11
I remember this very well. It was only a few days after we'd beat Japan in a friendly 7-2 wasn't it? Remember Scunny hoisting a Union Jack with their name across the Ponny and then being forcibly ejected when Town fans actually turned up.  :)

I certainly remember the Japan game but looking at the database we did not play Middlesborough for around 16 years between 1967 and 1983, however, i seem to recall that we did play them in a testamonial for either Ron Cockerill or Keith Jobling, think they may have included some guest players as well but I am not sure they would have brought that many fans for what amounts to a friendly.

Do remember taking my young twin girls to their first game against Boro when we beat Bryan Robson's championship winning side in the mid 1990's. First time I realised what bad language we all use at matches particularly strong I recall when aimed at Clayton Blackmore who had just had a rape allegation reported against him. On a final positive note, and to this day do not know why, on entering the ground the girls were each given a wagon wheel and they thought you were given chocolate every time. Only one has stuck it out and still turns out occasionally
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 5, 2015, 11:54pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I certainly remember the Japan game but looking at the database we did not play Middlesborough for around 16 years between 1967 and 1983, however, i seem to recall that we did play them in a testamonial for either Ron Cockerill or Keith Jobling, think they may have included some guest players as well but I am not sure they would have brought that many fans for what amounts to a friendly.

Do remember taking my young twin girls to their first game against Boro when we beat Bryan Robson's championship winning side in the mid 1990's. First time I realised what bad language we all use at matches particularly strong I recall when aimed at Clayton Blackmore who had just had a rape allegation reported against him. On a final positive note, and to this day do not know why, on entering the ground the girls were each given a wagon wheel and they thought you were given chocolate every time. Only one has stuck it out and still turns out occasionally

28th April 1967 we beat Middlesborough at home 2-1 (5,106) Gary Moore and Doug Collins the scorers, we beat them earlier in the season 1-0 at their ground .
Posted by: RonMariner, January 6, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 13
Great memories.  What a fantastic season that was.
Posted by: barralad, January 6, 2015, 11:29am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

We played Sunderland in Cockerill's testimonial in 1969....
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:19am