Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Simariner, December 30, 2014, 9:28pm
The Lower Findus bar will again be closed for the Lower Findus supporters on NYD (if the attendance is over 4k)

I am not happy about this. As potentially someone who comes to the 'Odd' game will have more right than myself (a ST holder and Trust Member) to be able to enjoy refreshments in the trust bar at half time.

Also how can the club stop people entering the bar from the lower when they don't announce the attendance until 10mins from time. As I think the attendance will be approx the 4k that is stated for non entry.

God knows what they used to do when the club was getting 5k+ fans every game in the Championship.

Shambles!!

Posted by: Simariner, December 30, 2014, 9:31pm; Reply: 1
Also mentioned about the risk of being ejected if any persistent standing

Here is the link...

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/macclesfield-tickets-update-2173933.aspx
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 9:42pm; Reply: 2
What an absolute flipping joke. Supporters are being drunk all over simply for wanting to support our clubs. Football without fans is nothing.

STAND UP. Everybody that can, stand up. If not it'll get worse, we'll arrive at a time when they'll kick anyone out who's shouting chants with swearwords in them. You may jest, but I've seen old bill threaten crowds of young people in Spain with being ejected if they don't stop "abusive chants".

Standing up is not violence FFS. We've got to stand up to this "purification" of football or we'll lose the sport that was once ours. UTM.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), December 30, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 3
People standing up does my box in.
I pay £18 for a ticket just to have numptys standing up in front of me.
It's just not acceptable and shows utter disregard fir those sat behind you.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 30, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 4
The club might as well send out a letter saying "Please, whatever you do, DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY IN THE GROUND.  Please take your cash to the Imperial or the Blundell Park Hotel and give it to them instead, then show up at five to three.  Once the match has finished, please kindly intercourse off the premises as soon as possible."
Posted by: LH, December 30, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 5
Stand up all game and bring your own beer in a flask - that'll learn 'em!
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), December 30, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 6
And whilst you are on the subject of swearing, that's out of order too.
I take my chikdren to football and swearing in front of young children is disgusting.
My 6 year old son asked me if "t w a t" is a swear word at the last game, because he saw a grown man busting a blood vessel in anger shouting expletives
Posted by: davmariner, December 30, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 7
Doubt there will be more than 4k at BP.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 30, 2014, 9:55pm; Reply: 8
Ascend, I think your experiences underline the case for safe standing and different fan areas.  In a football ground, there should be enough room to cater for those who want to stand, shout, sing, swear, eff, jeff, sit, spectate, applaud, drink, not drink, take the kids, take granny, go with their schoolmates, go with their dad, boo, his, do whatever they like.   It's product of the sanitisation of football that the sport has become so focussed on providing only for a few of these needs, that they end up providing for none of them.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), December 30, 2014, 10:00pm; Reply: 9
Agree with all apart from swearing.
But we have what we have for now and so people should show respect until something changes
Posted by: Simariner, December 30, 2014, 10:10pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Ascend, I think your experiences underline the case for safe standing and different fan areas.  In a football ground, there should be enough room to cater for those who want to stand, shout, sing, swear, eff, jeff, sit, spectate, applaud, drink, not drink, take the kids, take granny, go with their schoolmates, go with their dad, boo, his, do whatever they like.   It's product of the sanitisation of football that the sport has become so focussed on providing only for a few of these needs, that they end up providing for none of them.

Throw confetti, streamers, loo roll, smoke bombs and flares  :P
Posted by: BIGChris, December 30, 2014, 10:10pm; Reply: 11
It does say the bar 'may' be closed.

The problem is overcrowding. The fire regulations limit numbers to around 130 iirc?

My main anger is not about the numbers being restricted, (I understand that the world we now live in has health and safety stamped all over it) but when this was raised by the club a decision was made that the club would introduce some sort of ticketing system whereby the numbers could be controlled. Not ideal, but a way forward that once ready could be communicated properly and even if people didn't like it, they would at least be aware of it.

Seven or eight months later, nothing has happened other than (an initially wrong) announcement on the OS two days before a match!

Big strides have been made but this shows yet again that there is a hell of a long way to go before fans are treated like paying customers and not suspected criminals by some people at the club.

UTM
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 120790
I take my chikdren to football and swearing in front of young children is disgusting.
My 6 year old son asked me if "t w a t" is a swear word at the last game, because he saw a grown man busting a blood vessel in anger shouting expletives

I think if you are in the main stand you have every right to complain about swearing. Other stands no IMO. But in the Main the rule should be enforced.
Posted by: Simariner, December 30, 2014, 10:21pm; Reply: 13
With it being a Mariners Trust Bar... Any thoughts into it being a 'Trust Members' bar only?

New trust membership will no doubt be popular then.?
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 30, 2014, 10:44pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 120790

It's believed have old Norse origins and modern usage see's it more of a vulgarity, is not considered a swear word, so no need to act so precious.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 30, 2014, 10:59pm; Reply: 15
It's not fair standing at games other than for brief exciting passages of play (which everyone says there aren't many of anyway!). Not everyone is capable of standing for 90 minutes and it's exluding the old and the young especially if you block their view. Have consideration for others. Not every supporter is young and male!
Posted by: GrimRob, December 30, 2014, 11:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MarinerWY

I think if you are in the main stand you have every right to complain about swearing. Other stands no IMO. But in the Main the rule should be enforced.

I wasn't aware that it says in the Ground Regulations it was ok to use foul and abusive language in some stands not not others  :)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, December 30, 2014, 11:05pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 120790

People seriously have to question why they put red crosses against the above post. Who condones swearing in front of impressionable young children?
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 11:06pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob
Not every supporter is young and male!

Lasses are quite capable of standing as well Rob  ;)

But yes, ideally there would be a section for safe standing. But I really don't like the idea of being being kicked out for standing, what if they happen to be standing to the side and not obstructing views? As someone said there is a wide-range of different things being want from a game, and just as some people should have the right to sit and not have an obscured view, others who want to stand should have their own space too...
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GrimRob

I wasn't aware that it says in the Ground Regulations it was ok to use foul and abusive language in some stands not not others  :)

Don't see what's wrong with this. Although not stated, it's what I've always seen as the distinction between the family stand and others. At Leeds United I believe they even state in the Family Stand "Foul and abusive language will not be tolerated in this stand, it is a family stand" and on their website they certainly used to state which stands were likely to have folk who wanted to shout and swear.

I'm sorry but I'm completely against the idea of a football ground becoming a purified environment where we all sit down and clap our way through a game. Football needs to cater for diversity. If you have kids, and you don't want them to hear swearing, go in the family stand. Simple.
Posted by: LH, December 30, 2014, 11:12pm; Reply: 20
Someone shouted "inbred girl privates" from the family stand area during the minutes silence on Sunday...
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 11:12pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

People seriously have to question why they put red crosses against the above post. Who condones swearing in front of impressionable young children?

I do, if the parents choose to take their kids to a football match and not choose the designated family-friendly stand. I'm not saying parents should not take kids in other stands, I'm just saying if they do, they shouldn't be complaining that the kid has heard some swearing.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 11:13pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from LH
Someone shouted "inbred girl privates" from the family stand area during the minutes silence on Sunday...

And to me that's when it should be clamped down on. Signs around the Main Stand against abusive language, I'm all for zero-tolerance when it's clear and it's a designated family-friendly area. But all the ground? No.
Posted by: LH, December 30, 2014, 11:16pm; Reply: 23
I agree but obviously for home sell outs people are going to be wherever they can get in. The osmond is an ideal place for this unreserved, over 18s (or 16s maybe) area to be trialled.
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, December 30, 2014, 11:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Simariner
The Lower Findus bar will again be closed for the Lower Findus supporters on NYD (if the attendance is over 4k)

I am not happy about this. As potentially someone who comes to the 'Odd' game will have more right than myself (a ST holder and Trust Member) to be able to enjoy refreshments in the trust bar at half time.

Also how can the club stop people entering the bar from the lower when they don't announce the attendance until 10mins from time. As I think the attendance will be approx the 4k that is stated for non entry.

God knows what they used to do when the club was getting 5k+ fans every game in the Championship.

Shambles!!

surely they can just put a steward on the door and click people in and out? to regulate numbers?
Posted by: Maringer, December 30, 2014, 11:34pm; Reply: 25
Standing in seated areas is not safe, which is why it is banned.

Went to see a band at Manchester Arena last year and, of course, everyone was standing. Not a problem, or so I thought, until the drunk-up girl behind us lunged forwards for some reason and sent me and a mate tumbling over the seats in front. Luckily, I got away with a few cuts and bruises as did my mate, but he went half way over the balcony as well and a little bit more would have seen him drop 30 feet into the crowd below. That could have been curtains for him or somebody else.

Standing in seated areas just isn't safe - you've got no chance of stopping yourself falling forward if shoved, even accidentally, and that could lead to a domino effect in front.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), December 30, 2014, 11:53pm; Reply: 26
I wonder what genius thought it would be a good idea to release such a statement. I can see there being a lot of ejections from BP on NYD now. Would the person who posted the threat please explain why he thought it would be beneficial to post something like this on the official website bearing in mind it would have been an normal game and people would have   sat down as normal. Now the club has put a statement like this they will get a reaction from certain areas of the crowd and have just dug a hole for themselves. Its such a shame when all the hard work the commercial department has put in and  the extra cash it has generated will be cancelled out by the amount of young Grimsby Town fans being driven away from there local team for the way they are treated.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), December 30, 2014, 11:55pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from LH
I agree but obviously for home sell outs people are going to be wherever they can get in. The osmond is an ideal place for this unreserved, over 18s (or 16s maybe) area to be trialled.

There was supposed to be a trial against Dartford earlier on in the season but the club went back on there word apparently.
Posted by: Simariner, December 31, 2014, 12:11am; Reply: 28
So two points highlighted in the statement...

I'm sure NYD game will be around the 4000 attendance (give or take)
How are the Stewards going to know if to let fans in to the lower bar or not? So at 3999 home fans it's open? And 4001 fans its shut?

I see the visiting fans stand, Lincoln, the 28 FGR and the handful of Woking fans all stood throughout the game at BP. And no doubt you'll see the 150 or so Macc fans do the same.

I personally only stand during the game when a positive attacking move, corner and goal is happening.

I'm sure the stewards ain't looking forward to NYD game as  there is surely going to be some confrontation on both points
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 31, 2014, 12:16am; Reply: 29
Standing when the team has scored/on the attack is forgivable, standing throughout the game isn't.
Posted by: LH, December 31, 2014, 12:22am; Reply: 30
Quoted from 1739

There was supposed to be a trial against Dartford earlier on in the season but the club went back on there word apparently.

There was probably more to it than the club going back on it's word. I seem to remember it was something to do with a certificate of some sort but I've been known to talk utter balderdash before.
Posted by: mimma, December 31, 2014, 12:41am; Reply: 31
Rather than release a statement just telling us that the bar will be shut, wouldn't it be nice if we had an explanation as to exactly why, who it is that is telling us to shut it. When we have all the facts, we can then start to moan & abuse whoever is responsible

As a lifelong trust member, & a share holder,  it would be nice if I was told ALL the facts.

If it is about overcrowding, then the toilets outside the bar will also have to be shut. Couldn't get in them after leaving the bar on Sunday!! More crowded than the bar.
Posted by: 0ld timer, December 31, 2014, 6:28am; Reply: 32
soon to be called the upper class part time supporters bar
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 31, 2014, 8:16am; Reply: 33
Quoted from 120790

I may not be the guilty party in this particular incident but I was guilty of letting rip at the FGR match before I realised a young kid was sat behind me so I apologise profusely if it was I :-/

The unwritten law was the Pontoon/Findus swearing whilst not encouraged could be expected
Main Stand was a family stand and swearing was discouraged  :X

Football at one time was the one place in society where you could swear/yell abuse unabaited for 90 mins without being frowned upon in the slightest.
Posted by: marinerdean, December 31, 2014, 9:00am; Reply: 34
If we're not allowed to stand then they need to sort seats out. My seat against Lincoln was right behind the dugout. I could not see anything other than the dugout. I'm not paying £16 to sit down and watch a dugout out all game
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 31, 2014, 9:12am; Reply: 35
As I've said before, I still don't see why the bar staff don't have lots of pints already pulled at half time, like most other clubs bars. Then when everyone comes in, they only need a top up and your served, instead of it being like a pub, where you've got all night to get served.
Posted by: gytone, December 31, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 36
Disgraceful decision to shut the bar, one of the many reasons attendance's are down, also standing at matches happens all over the country, not saying it's right but I'm afraid you've got to get used to it .
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 31, 2014, 10:21am; Reply: 37
Quoted from fleabag1970
I may be wrong but wasn't seating at grounds done to keep people safe ?? Anyone standing in a seated area has a total disregard for those poor souls who died going to a football match ..............

Rubbish - Hillsborough happened because of inept policing. To suggest that standing up at a match is disrespectful to the dead is bang out of order
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 31, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 38
Quoted from fleabag1970
I may be wrong but wasn't seating at grounds done to keep people safe ?? Anyone standing in a seated area has a total disregard for those poor souls who died going to a football match ..............

Regarding Hillsborough, it is now widely accepted that standing was not the issue: opening a gate and forcing thousands of people into an already over-capacity stand was, then subsequently refusing to open gates onto the pitch until people were already crushing to death.

The BBC Panorama "Hillsborough - How They Buried the Truth" is really worth watching, available on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2L_8sj6Wyc

Also I have been recommended this book many times but haven't had a chance to read it yet:
Hillsborough: The Truth, by Professor Phil Scraton
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hillsborough-Truth-Professor-Phil-Scraton/dp/1845964950

The Football Supporters Federation also states:
" Many opponents to safe standing mistakenly cite Hillsborough as a reason not to allow its introduction. However the disaster was not caused by standing; the Taylor Report primarily blamed overcrowding, stadium layout, and poor policing. It did not ban standing nor claim it was inherently unsafe."

The safe standing many talk about introducing now is very different from the days of Hillsborough, anyway, with barriers seperaing each row, preventing surges etc. and is widely used in certain other countries, Germany for example. It also can provide a cheaper ticket option, which has to be a good thing.

FSF Support Safe Standing:
http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/support-safe-standing/

Posted by: bax, December 31, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 39
Quoted from marinerdean
If we're not allowed to stand then they need to sort seats out. My seat against Lincoln was right behind the dugout. I could not see anything other than the dugout. I'm not paying £16 to sit down and watch a dugout out all game

Then buy a ticket for one of the thousands and thousands of seats that's not got a sightline issue?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 31, 2014, 10:48am; Reply: 40
Quoted from fleabag1970

Ok Ok   .............. so why was seating introduced then ?

Now this accidental death verdict has been quashed, will standing be able to come back? (Serious question)
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 31, 2014, 10:51am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Now this accidental death verdict has been quashed, will standing be able to come back? (Serious question)

Football has become a much calmer , safer placed to be since seating was introduced IMO . Stay seated for me
Posted by: Simariner, December 31, 2014, 10:58am; Reply: 42
Understand the laws on standing in seating areas..... http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/the-legalities-of-standing/
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 31, 2014, 10:59am; Reply: 43
Quoted from fleabag1970
[quote=211]

Regarding Hillsborough, it is now widely accepted that standing was not the issue: opening a gate and forcing thousands of people into an already over-capacity stand was, then subsequently refusing to open gates onto the pitch until people were already crushing to death.

ok  mr facts , why was seating introduced ??

Because of a misinformed, or misguided reaction. The truth about Hillsborough didn't officially come out until years later, by which time seating had been blamed, alongside other lies - such as the behaviour of fans, which later turned out to be fabricated.

So misguided at best, completely disingenuous at worst.

I love the fact you had a quick dig relating to "facts". I'm not sure what that implies, that facts have no value and we should base our arguments on assumption or the first thing we read or hear?
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 31, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 44
Quoted from fleabag1970

It's not the question you were asking I have an issue with it's the second part of your post. If you don't know why seating was introduced how can you make a statement that anyone standing in a seated area has a disregard for those who died?
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 31, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 45
ok , my second part was misguided and wrong , I should have known better than to start a debate around this subject ! sorry if I offended none was meant .
Posted by: mimma, December 31, 2014, 12:47pm; Reply: 46
At the Bradford City fire, people died because they couldn't get out on to the pitch because of the seats.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 31, 2014, 12:54pm; Reply: 47
Reading this thread proves how much we need the new stadium,

Just think in a few years we might have,

Safe standing area's for those  that want them,

Seats with no posts or people standing in front of them,

Enough bars around the ground for all to enjoy,

No comments from the club saying you can not do this or do that, upsetting most fans,

Roll on, let it happen soon,

Happy New Year to all fishy people.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 31, 2014, 3:00pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from mimma

If it is about overcrowding, then the toilets outside the bar will also have to be shut. Couldn't get in them after leaving the bar on Sunday!! More crowded than the bar.

Poorly designed and thought out entrance to the bar area giving little consideration to matchday use of the area, breach of CDM Regulations in reality.
You have the potential near capacity of the upper tier converging on one central pinchpoint for four different purposes, bar, toilet, refreshments, ciggy break and all trying to do that during a 15 min period...recipe for disaster and should have been identified as part of the design process when building the bar.
The club could help reduce congestion by;
Placing clear signs for the other toilet block halfway down the stairs at pontoon end
Have stewards direct and organise the queues of people at the base of the central stairway,
refreshments to queue back towards turnstiles use some of those airport style queue barriers to direct the queue, toilet queue to start back from the far side of the toilet doorway not across the bar and refreshment entrance, open the double doorway to allow free movement past queues, have updates up the stairwell as to when the bar is full to prevent people joining the back of a queue that is going nowhere...

all simple measures which could help, i am not a regular in either the stand or bar but on my visits the pinchpoint and congestion have always been there..along with people getting irate.    
Posted by: GTFCNick, December 31, 2014, 4:11pm; Reply: 49
Afternoon everyone, just an attempt to clear a few things up:

Standing - We are a licenced all seater stadium, I've asked the question before with regards to safe standing and been informed that standing is not permitted unless it meets the specifications for standing stadia as per the "Green Guide". We are permitted to remove seats and have an area for standing (This requires substantial work to meet the regulations) however any subsequent promotion would require the said area to be returned to all seating in order to qualify for acceptance to the Football League. I've had numerous complaints from supporters whose view of the match was blocked for most of the game against Lincoln due to supporters standing. Why should they have to endure this? Especially as they have equally paid their money and equally are entitled to watch the match free from obstruction. Standing briefly during a exciting passage of play in understandable, standing for the full duration of the match and blocking the view of others is just completely inconsiderate.

As for the Mariners Trust Bar, this bar is and never has been fit for purpose in terms of the supporters wanting to use its facilities. There are issues nearly at every home game in and around the toilet areas, kiosk and bar. There are far too many supporters for the size of the space available and has been the bone of contention with supporters for years. On Sunday we had a female steward pushed over by a male wanting to use the ladies toilets as he did not want to queue for the gents! The facilities cannot cope with the demand and we are constantly getting fractious situations. We have toilet facilities for the Upper Findus in the stairway of Imperial Corner as well as in the vomitory of Con's Corner. These facilities never have been nor should they be made available to the Lower Findus as they are not adequate to accommodate that volume of support. The refreshment, toilet and smoking areas for the Lower are and always have been in Imperial Corner. Unfortunately the Lower Findus does not have its own bar facilities and as a result has shared the Mariners Trust Bar with the Upper Findus. Out of respect to the season ticket holders in the Lower Findus, if you would like to be relocated to the Upper for the Day then the club will happily facilitate this for you. All other supporters in the Lower will not have the Mariners Trust Bar available to them for tomorrows match. We are looking for a long term solution and will be working with the Mariners Trust on this and hopefully will resolve this issue on a permanent basis for next season. I can only apologise for any issues that this decision has caused, although I assure you all that it is for the right reasons with safety of the paramount importance.

As for sharing the Osmond Stand? I fail to understand what this would gain other than to thin support out? Some would move, some would stay with the collective voice of support diminished. Also there is no bar other than Scotties in the Osmond Stand, the other facility is franchised out to the catering vendor and used for the preparation and heating of food. This area is the only space available for visiting supporters to get a drink and food.

One further point is that we have some very decent youngsters and some very unsavoury that would attack anyone in a visitors shirt, not really an advert for loyal decent support. Nobody in their right mind would allow for the youngsters to move within such close proximity to the visitors when you cannot guarantee that their behaviour is going to be acceptable. Do we simply stand there and attempt to filter out the good from the bad? What happens if we get it wrong? We need to work collectively together to generate atmosphere, moving stands does not resolve the problem it just thins support out. I would advocate asking everyone that travels away to move together into the Pontoon and bring back the good old days of where that stand was rocking. Those that travel and congregate together on away days are spread throughout the stadium making it mission impossible to replicate.

If any supporter has any ideas with regards to a long term solution for the bars then please feel free to respond. No idea is a bad idea and you never know someone out there might have a solution that has not already been considered. Steve Wraith and I have talked with the trust today and if possible would implement changes during the season if feasible and currently do have a possible solution to discuss further with the mariners trust.

Thanks

Nick
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 31, 2014, 4:18pm; Reply: 50
Paul Hust is actively addressing this problem as best he can.
Sub 2000 crowds should reduce these risks to a somewhat more acceptable level  ;)
Posted by: GTFCNick, December 31, 2014, 4:24pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Civvy at last
Paul Hust is actively addressing this problem as best he can.
Sub 2000 crowds should reduce these risks to a somewhat more acceptable level  ;)

I know that its hard sometimes to be a supporter but that is the nature of the game that we all love and that is football. Some days are good, others not so yet we still turn out and we still support. Football didn't choose us, we chose football! its in the blood, our way of life and shopping with the wife on Saturday simply does not compare.

Happy New Year everyone, a sober night for me however I hope that all those partying have a safe and enjoyable night and look forward to seeing you at the game tomorrow.

Nick

Posted by: Civvy at last, December 31, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 52
Not quite sure why you quoted me Nick ??
For the record, I will be there tomorrow as I am 90% of the time. As an 'upper'  I look forward to my half time pint of overpriced cider (fosters is proper sh1te) without having to cope with the lower 'chavs'. Keep up the good work trust. 😉😉
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 31, 2014, 4:59pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from GTFCNick
Afternoon everyone, just an attempt to clear a few things up:

Standing - We are a licenced all seater stadium, I've asked the question before with regards to safe standing and been informed that standing is not permitted unless it meets the specifications for standing stadia as per the "Green Guide". We are permitted to remove seats and have an area for standing (This requires substantial work to meet the regulations) however any subsequent promotion would require the said area to be returned to all seating in order to qualify for acceptance to the Football League. I've had numerous complaints from supporters whose view of the match was blocked for most of the game against Lincoln due to supporters standing. Why should they have to endure this? Especially as they have equally paid their money and equally are entitled to watch the match free from obstruction. Standing briefly during a exciting passage of play in understandable, standing for the full duration of the match and blocking the view of others is just completely inconsiderate.

As for the Mariners Trust Bar, this bar is and never has been fit for purpose in terms of the supporters wanting to use its facilities. There are issues nearly at every home game in and around the toilet areas, kiosk and bar. There are far too many supporters for the size of the space available and has been the bone of contention with supporters for years. On Sunday we had a female steward pushed over by a male wanting to use the ladies toilets as he did not want to queue for the gents! The facilities cannot cope with the demand and we are constantly getting fractious situations. We have toilet facilities for the Upper Findus in the stairway of Imperial Corner as well as in the vomitory of Con's Corner. These facilities never have been nor should they be made available to the Lower Findus as they are not adequate to accommodate that volume of support. The refreshment, toilet and smoking areas for the Lower are and always have been in Imperial Corner. Unfortunately the Lower Findus does not have its own bar facilities and as a result has shared the Mariners Trust Bar with the Upper Findus. Out of respect to the season ticket holders in the Lower Findus, if you would like to be relocated to the Upper for the Day then the club will happily facilitate this for you. All other supporters in the Lower will not have the Mariners Trust Bar available to them for tomorrows match. We are looking for a long term solution and will be working with the Mariners Trust on this and hopefully will resolve this issue on a permanent basis for next season. I can only apologise for any issues that this decision has caused, although I assure you all that it is for the right reasons with safety of the paramount importance.

As for sharing the Osmond Stand? I fail to understand what this would gain other than to thin support out? Some would move, some would stay with the collective voice of support diminished. Also there is no bar other than Scotties in the Osmond Stand, the other facility is franchised out to the catering vendor and used for the preparation and heating of food. This area is the only space available for visiting supporters to get a drink and food.

One further point is that we have some very decent youngsters and some very unsavoury that would attack anyone in a visitors shirt, not really an advert for loyal decent support. Nobody in their right mind would allow for the youngsters to move within such close proximity to the visitors when you cannot guarantee that their behaviour is going to be acceptable. Do we simply stand there and attempt to filter out the good from the bad? What happens if we get it wrong? We need to work collectively together to generate atmosphere, moving stands does not resolve the problem it just thins support out. I would advocate asking everyone that travels away to move together into the Pontoon and bring back the good old days of where that stand was rocking. Those that travel and congregate together on away days are spread throughout the stadium making it mission impossible to replicate.

If any supporter has any ideas with regards to a long term solution for the bars then please feel free to respond. No idea is a bad idea and you never know someone out there might have a solution that has not already been considered. Steve Wraith and I have talked with the trust today and if possible would implement changes during the season if feasible and currently do have a possible solution to discuss further with the mariners trust.

Thanks

Nick

Thank you for the feed back Nick.

Not all Town fans who get to away games manage to get to BP, this you must surely know. The Pontoon of old was mainly full of younger men and now it has a lot of women and kids, the demographic has changed and you won't be able to change that back because of season tickets.  Pontoon of old, if you wanted a good spot you got there early and that added to the build up atmosphere, players were cheered as they warmed up and ref's and lino had the mickey taken out of them.

If segregation can be managed at Lincoln with a scattering of stewards and a Hessian cloth down a few seats, why can't it be managed at BP.  It's about time we stopped giving a whole stand that holds 1,800 to a car or mini van load of away fans.  There have been plenty of games were there have been more stewards than away fans.  Town fans at both ends of the ground will generate more vocal support than is set up for now.
Posted by: ska face, December 31, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 54
Firstly, ta for making the effort the clear a few things up.

Understand you're not here for an argument, so not really expecting much in the way of a reply, but...

Quoted from GTFCNick

As for sharing the Osmond Stand? I fail to understand what this would gain other than to thin support out? Some would move, some would stay with the collective voice of support diminished

Come off it. It's clear that giving supporters other people to bounce off - as has happened in the past when the Osmond is opened for any sustained period of time - improves atmosphere. The acoustics in the Osmond are much better than anywhere else in the ground, and this noise carries all through the Main Stand and through to the Pontoon. 15 Woking fans (IIRC) made a hell of a lot more noise than 3k town fans in a 3-1 defeat last month, and I could hear them on the other side of the pitch clearer than anything coming from the right of the Pontoon.

As has been mentioned on this thread, elsewhere on the board and on countless other occasions, the backing of the fans helps the players & management and, ultimately, the club overall. I don't really understand your vehement opposition to the idea of trying to encourage this.

Quoted from GTFCNick
One further point is that we have some very decent youngsters and some very unsavoury that would attack anyone in a visitors shirt, not really an advert for loyal decent support.

What are you basing this on? Of the 27 'fans' arrested in 13/14, only 2 were for violent disorder, and only 8 in total were in GY/Clee. I can't remember the last time I saw anything even close to resembling a fight inside BP, especially between home & away fans. This is an awfully misleading & potentially damaging statement for a stadium manager to be making and, to me, smacks of someone desperate to avoid any extra work.  

If you've any evidence of this very unsavoury group of youngers who'd "attack anyone in a visitors shirt", then please feel free to correct me. Though I'll not hold my breath. It worries me that someone using this kind of argument is left in charge of the management of the ground on a matchday.
Posted by: BIGChris, December 31, 2014, 5:24pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from GTFCNick

Unfortunately the Lower Findus does not have its own bar facilities and as a result has shared the Mariners Trust Bar with the Upper Findus. Out of respect to the season ticket holders in the Lower Findus, if you would like to be relocated to the Upper for the Day then the club will happily facilitate this for you. All other supporters in the Lower will not have the Mariners Trust Bar available to them for tomorrows match.

. I would advocate asking everyone that travels away to move together into the Pontoon and bring back the good old days of where that stand was rocking. Those that travel and congregate together on away days are spread throughout the stadium making it mission impossible

Thanks

Nick

Nick, please clarify;

The first highlighted part of your post states the Mariners Trust bar is closed to patrons of the Lower Findus tomorrow. This contradicts the Trust's statement which states that the bar is open as normal prior to the game I.e. Anyone with a home stand match ticket can go in the bar from 12 noon until turnstiles open, but closed at half time to Lower Findus ticket holders? Which one is it?

As a regular supporter at away games I don't get why I and my travelling colleagues would move their seats to the Pontoon. If we wanted to sit there we already would be doing so!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), December 31, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from GTFCNick

Firstly, fair play for coming on here to try and justify the reasons for the statement on the official site. I wasn't questioning what the statement was about it is  just that I can't understand why the club decided to address the statement when people would have most likely sat down in there seats as normal but now it may get a reaction from some elements of the ground due to the club mentioning it. If the club hadn't have put the statement on the website then I am 99% everyone will have sat down but seeing at the club bought it to the attention of people they will want to oppose.

I think that a lot of the youngster realise that the top corner of the pontoon is not the best place for a vocal section for the fans to be place. The lower Findus is a no go straight away with it being that open and the sound not being able to echo. The main stand would be ideal however it is the designated family stand, commentary positions and traditionally the noisy section has always been behind the goal. I can remember a few years ago against Rushden when they opened up the main stand for around 10 minutes for people if the pontoon to move so that they could have a better view of the game (due to the fog) and the acoustics in there sounded brilliant. The best two options for a designated 'vocal' area are either the Osmond or the centre of the pontoon. I know that a few years ago against Braintree around 50 young lads tried to start an area in the centre of the pontoon however the drum wasn't allowed to be in that area so they all decided to follow the drum back to its original place. I look down the road at what Lincoln have done and the atmosphere looks really good at most games for them and that is with 1500 less fans. Not only that I personally think some of visual displays some clubs are brilliant and with a designated seating area this could encourage some fans. For me when I first started supporting Town the thing that got me addicted was the atmosphere and the feeling of belonging to the town.

Posted by: 1739 (Guest), December 31, 2014, 5:54pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from GTFCNick

some very unsavoury that would attack anyone in a visitors shirt, not really an advert for loyal decent support. Nobody in their right mind would allow for the youngsters to move within such close proximity to the visitors when you cannot guarantee that their behaviour is going to be acceptable. Do we simply stand there and attempt to filter out the good from the bad? What happens if we get it wrong?

We support Grimsby not Galatasaray.  I am surprised you have actually said such a statement with such little evidence to suggest we have people who follow the club that they would attack visiting supporters. I am a season ticket holder and follow town around the country and I must have a very different perception to Town fans to you if you think certain elements of the crowd would attack someone in a visitors shirt. We have idiots at the club but to go as far as saying that they would attack visiting supporters for no reason other than them wearing a t-shirt is steep.
Posted by: GTFCNick, December 31, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from BIGChris

Nick, please clarify;

The first highlighted part of your post states the Mariners Trust bar is closed to patrons of the Lower Findus tomorrow. This contradicts the Trust's statement which states that the bar is open as normal prior to the game I.e. Anyone with a home stand match ticket can go in the bar from 12 noon until turnstiles open, but closed at half time to Lower Findus ticket holders? Which one is it?

As a regular supporter at away games I don't get why I and my travelling colleagues would move their seats to the Pontoon. If we wanted to sit there we already would be doing so!

Just to clarify the Mariners Trust Bar is open early and to all. As from 13:30 when the turnstiles open further admittance to the bar is only accesable to supporters with tickets for the Upper Findus. Those already in the bar are welcome to stay and transfer to their stand prior to K.O. There is no transfer back to the bar at half time and access will be for the Upper Findus supporters only. Alternatively you can opt to stay in the bar, warm and watch the match on the tv's.
Posted by: BIGChris, December 31, 2014, 6:41pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from GTFCNick

Just to clarify the Mariners Trust Bar is open early and to all. As from 13:30 when the turnstiles open further admittance to the bar is only accesable to supporters with tickets for the Upper Findus. Those already in the bar are welcome to stay and transfer to their stand prior to K.O. There is no transfer back to the bar at half time and access will be for the Upper Findus supporters only. Alternatively you can opt to stay in the bar, warm and watch the match on the tv's.

Thanks for clarifying that bit Nick ( not sure we should be encouraging anyone to stay in the bar and watch on TV, surely the team needs all the support it can get?)
Posted by: mimma, December 31, 2014, 7:20pm; Reply: 60
Blundell park hotel often has visiting supporters complete with team shirts & scarves. As far as I know non of them have ever been attacked in there, or on their way to the away end. Some even go back after the game without any problems.

Posted by: bradzmilne, December 31, 2014, 7:50pm; Reply: 61
I very rarely miss a home game - regardless of competition, opponent or anything other factor. So we'll work on the basis of 23 games a season (minimum).
The 3/5 group of lads that attend spend usually between £20 and £30 between us in the Trust Bar each game: 23 x £25 = £575 a season. I'm sure that we're not the only one's that spend that sort of money in the trust bar per game. Sadly though as someone that sits in the lower thought that's £575 a season that will be going into the imps or Blundell park hotel pocket rather than the trust. By no stretch of the imagination do I want to do this, but that's the reality of it.
Completely understand that you have to be careful of health and safety etc. But surely there is better methods than this?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 31, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 62
Thanks for coming on here and clarifying Nick, but there are a few things that are a bit alarming.  One is that the club appears to be dead against the idea of people moving around to the Osmond End for reasons of "thinning out" of support.  This may be true, but I think most people were making the suggestion that fans be allowed to move during the game, to give town more support at the end we're attacking each half.  In practice, this would more likely end up as a hundred from the lower Findus and a few hundred from the Pontoon, but could also work the other way and lead to a packed Pontoon if we're attacking it looking for a winner in a grandstand finish.  Much smaller clubs manage similar flows of fans and there's no reason the makeshift gates between the Imperial Corner/Lower Findus and Constitutional Corner/Osmond couldn't be opened.

However, the most troubling thing for me is that an agent of the football club has come onto an open internet forum and said that our supporters attack people for wearing opposition shirts.  As has already been said, this is Grimsby not Galatasaray for crying out loud.  Are you seriously suggesting, as the club's stated policy, that there are people you know of who would buy a ticket for the Main Stand at BP just so they can physically assault their choice of 14 Forest Green/Eastleigh/Dover Athletic/Woking supporters, and therefore people can't mix with opposing fans and share a drink before the game?
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 31, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 63
I have supported our club for nearly 60 years,

In that time I have never seen any town fan attack an away supporter for wearing his clubs shirt,

In fact the only trouble I have seen is when the town fans have reacted to violence from the opposition fans,

NB. I did not go to the Burton game.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 31, 2014, 9:11pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ska face
Firstly, ta for making the effort the clear a few things up.

Understand you're not here for an argument, so not really expecting much in the way of a reply, but...

Come off it. It's clear that giving supporters other people to bounce off - as has happened in the past when the Osmond is opened for any sustained period of time - improves atmosphere. The acoustics in the Osmond are much better than anywhere else in the ground, and this noise carries all through the Main Stand and through to the Pontoon. 15 Woking fans (IIRC) made a hell of a lot more noise than 3k town fans in a 3-1 defeat last month, and I could hear them on the other side of the pitch clearer than anything coming from the right of the Pontoon.

As has been mentioned on this thread, elsewhere on the board and on countless other occasions, the backing of the fans helps the players & management and, ultimately, the club overall. I don't really understand your vehement opposition to the idea of trying to encourage this.

What are you basing this on? Of the 27 'fans' arrested in 13/14, only 2 were for violent disorder, and only 8 in total were in GY/Clee. I can't remember the last time I saw anything even close to resembling a fight inside BP, especially between home & away fans. This is an awfully misleading & potentially damaging statement for a stadium manager to be making and, to me, smacks of someone desperate to avoid any extra work.  

If you've any evidence of this very unsavoury group of youngers who'd "attack anyone in a visitors shirt", then please feel free to correct me. Though I'll not hold my breath. It worries me that someone using this kind of argument is left in charge of the management of the ground on a matchday.

Absolutely spot on!
Posted by: lukeo, January 1, 2015, 8:50am; Reply: 65
I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading.
I haven't been to BP for a long time, but surely when we play
The 15+ teams that'll bring less than 50 fans we could let them
Sit in the main stand? Give us both the osmond and pontoon.
There's never any problems and if I did go to BP id happily have a
Pint at half time with an away fan. What I also don't get (unless it's changed)
Away fans aren't welcome In our pubs? You can't beat going to an away game
Where the club have a club house (bury is my favourite, fGR is good) and allow away
Fans in... Why are we so different to everyone else?
Posted by: Lambretta Mariner, January 1, 2015, 2:45pm; Reply: 66
I havent always sat in the Upper Findus since watching Town but i recall when I first started going in, there used to be a smaller bar area in a room behind the downstairs food kiosk. Is that used for some corporate space now?
Posted by: brad_gtfc, January 1, 2015, 4:06pm; Reply: 67
We need a safe standing area at BP and if that isn't option then definitely at the new ground. I had a woman behind screaming Sit Down everytime there was abit of action near the goal, FFS. Don't get me wrong she has paid for her seat the same as I have but I'm not going to sit down constantly, especially if I'm getting excited. The thing was she didn't even ask politely and we wasn't standing persistently. We should be looking to cater for all fans and it would increase supporter harmony thats for sure.

As for swearing fans at football, it's place full of passionate people and am sure people don't do it intentionally, it just comes out.
We should look into an area for family's though that is for sure, I know I wouldn't want me nieces and nephew to hear some of the language at the game. But if your worried about your kids hearing swearing, till we get that area you are taking your children to the wrong place as swearing is rife, and is too hard to police.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 1, 2015, 7:50pm; Reply: 68
Was the bar closed for Lower Findus ticket holders given the 3500 attendance?
Posted by: moosey_club, January 1, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from BIGChris
Was the bar closed for Lower Findus ticket holders given the 3500 attendance?

Couldnt tell you but i was stood in the bar doorway just before half time and two stewards were discussing the numbers in there and conversation went something like this;

"how are we supposed to monitor numbers when there are two doors?"
"i thought we were getting clickers but if there are two doors then we cant use them"
"well it doesnt look busy today"
"120 maximum doesnt sound alot does it"
"well we will just keep an eye on it and if it gets so busy so we cant clearly see the bar we will stop letting people in"

quality !!

Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:19pm