Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, December 30, 2014, 5:45pm
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Hurst-hopes-derby-defeat-won-t-Mariners-fans/story-25781795-detail/story.html

What a load of excrement this bloke talks.
Hurst you are such a mammary.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 30, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 1
I'll be there with my dad, that's 2
Posted by: misterx, December 30, 2014, 6:04pm; Reply: 2
He will be lucky to see 3500!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 30, 2014, 6:08pm; Reply: 3
1, I'm on holiday and 2. He is as inspirational as a wet weekend in Goole
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 30, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters
1, I'm on holiday and 2. He is as inspirational as a wet weekend in Goole

I played a football match one wet weekend in Goole,

I think that was the coldest I have ever felt on a football pitch.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 30, 2014, 7:05pm; Reply: 5
No because;

1. It was a derby game.
2. We lost and turned in a poor performance.
3. Goodwill even at this time of year can only go so far.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 30, 2014, 7:58pm; Reply: 6
Won't get nowhere near as many fans might not be a bad thing maybe the team will turn up get Scotty back in he's a terrier who at least makes you feel he cares.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 30, 2014, 8:55pm; Reply: 7

"It's great when there's that kind of crowd and that kind of atmosphere – it's a shame we couldn't send them home happy – but in general, we've done okay in that respect this season and hopefully they'll be back on New Year's Day for what is another big game for us."

Really? By losing or drawing more games than we have won at home?? Really Paul???
Just how the fvck do you work that out?!?

Posted by: Maringer, December 30, 2014, 9:20pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from moosey_club

Really? By losing or drawing more games than we have won at home?? Really Paul???
Just how the fvck do you work that out?!?

Better than you it would seem. 7 home wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats so we haven't drawn and lost more than we've won!  :P  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, December 30, 2014, 9:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Maringer

Better than you it would seem. 7 home wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats so we haven't drawn and lost more than we've won!  :P  ;)

Oooops....Was including cup games but i forgot to include the FGR result ....evens stevens it is.....apologies Paul, you were right i am now absolutely fvcking deliriousy happy to realise we we have failed to win just half of our home games.....carry on the good work as i am sure everyone else is well chuffed too now.
Posted by: oldun, December 31, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Maringer

Close though.
Posted by: Getyourfactsright, December 31, 2014, 10:28am; Reply: 11
Quoted from TAGG

I've read Paul's piece in the press and agree with it wholeheartedly.

Your thread is derogatory. Just for a minute put your self in the position of such a rude response. I bet you'd be jumping up and down!!!!!!! And asking for the thread to be removed!!!!!!

The threads about the Manager and players are, on the whole disgusting and signifies a lot of what is wrong with the club.

(Flack jacket on, hear comes another barrage of abuse)

Were in the play offs and within striking distance of the top spot. A slip up on 41 to 45 minutes when we were 1 up. Also their keeper had a very good game, it should have been out of sight by 41 minutes.

That's football.

12 games 2 draws and 2 losses and there's a call for wholesale change. Who's coming to a club that let's a manager go when we are challenging.

Whatever you all think there is massive team spirit behind closed doors. And that's a credit to how the manager actually motivates people. I don't remember Sir Alan Buckley bouncing off the walls in interviews, or making silly promises I about how we are going to cut teams up.  

It's a derby and anything can happen in those. We beat Scunthorpe last year!!!! Didn't we?

What I fear is, we will not return to the Football Leauge anytime soon with all of this negativity.

It's difficult supporting town, I know that to my countless nights lost sleep, but all this destructive attitude is offensive at times and by and large very, very unhelpful.

Players the manager and the board are human they will know just what is being said.

Does anyone out there perform better with destructive and suppressive  abuse as oppose to being properly supported.

Don't give me, as has been said before, that the players should be strong enough to take it and they are paid to take it.

They earn an average wage at best.

Can we please turn the page and give the club, Manger and players your unrelenting support from now to the end of the season.

The 13th man is vital I feel to our success.

Happy New year and best wishes John
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 31, 2014, 10:33am; Reply: 12
Well said John. UTM and happy new year too :)
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 31, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Getyourfactsright

Your thread is derogatory. Just for a minute put your self in the position of such a rude response. I bet you'd be jumping up and down!!!!!!! And asking for the thread to be removed!!!!!!

The threads about the Manager and players are, on the whole disgusting and signifies a lot of what is wrong with the club.

Were in the play offs and within striking distance of the top spot. A slip up on 41 to 45 minutes when we were 1 up. Also their keeper had a very good game, it should have been out of sight by 41 minutes.

That's football.

12 games 2 draws and 2 losses and there's a call for wholesale change. Who's coming to a club that let's a manager go when we are challenging.

Whatever you all think there is massive team spirit behind closed doors. And that's a credit to how the manager actually motivates people. I don't remember Sir Alan Buckley bouncing off the walls in interviews, or making silly promises I about how we are going to cut teams up.  

It's a derby and anything can happen in those. We beat Scunthorpe last year!!!! Didn't we?

What I fear is, we will not return to the Football Leauge anytime soon with all of this negativity.

It's difficult supporting town, I know that to my countless nights sleep, but all this destructive attitude is offensive at times and by and large very, very unhelpful.

Players the manager and the board are human they will know just what is being said.

Does anyone out there perform better with destructive and suppressive  abuse as oppose to being properly supported.

Don't give me, as has been said before, that the players should be strong enough to take it and they are paid to take it.

Can we please turn the page and give the club, Manger and players your unrelenting support from now to the end of the season.

I think you'll find that the fans of this club have given it loyal support over the last decade and continue to do so more than many other clubs in a similar position. It beggars belief that you are going to blame the fans for fearing that we won't be returning to league football any time soon because of a little bit of negativity. The huge amount of positivity and desperate praying from fans didn't stop us from falling out of the league did it.

We are not good enough at home to attract the sort of gate we should be getting for a team in our position, that's not because of a few negative people, it is the football on show, people voting with their feet.  Do you think we would be getting the gates we do if our away form wasn't so good.  People come to BP because we are up there but on the whole leave disappointed and frustrated, our budget comes mainly from home gates why aren't the players or Hurst grasping that.

You say massive team spirit behind closed doors, why isn't the door left open so we can see some of that team spirit on the pitch, we love players covering each other, supporting each other. Seems we are being fed the old Neweel line of we look great in training.

The comment about it should have been out of sight by 41 minutes, is true but this has been the case in a lot of the games we dropped points in, especially at home.  Should have's don't get you promoted.

You want an atmosphere, open up part of the Osmond to home fans, we have more than enough stewards, it is that simple. An old mentor of mine told me that when managing something you will always get a few moaners, he said when people stop moaning the system is either right or they don't care.

Happy New year and best wishes to you and your family John

Dave
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2014, 11:51am; Reply: 14
Let's blame the fans again shall we?

This team and manager talk a good game but don't deliver, especially at home. Only the team can generate a positive atmosphere and they are failing. Lincoln's first away win for months and they beat us at their place when they had just lost about 6 on the spin. Southport got their first away win for a year also at BP.

In a nutshell, the product isn't attractive and people are voting with their feet.

Also, if you and the players don't like what is said on here, then don't log on. It's a fans forum.
Posted by: davmariner, December 31, 2014, 11:55am; Reply: 15

That's football.

It's difficult supporting town, I know that to my countless nights lost sleep, but all this destructive attitude is offensive at times and by and large very, very unhelpful.

John, my concerns are that Paul thought that we played well and I think many others share the same concerns. There keeper had a good game, granted but we were awful for 50 minutes on Sunday.

People can accept the team had an off day, fair enough we're all human it can happen. It's only one game. It concerns me that Paul thinks that was a good performance and an acceptable standard. Too many players weren't at the races and there is a case for it being down to fatigue or whatever but come on, can you honestly say that was good enough?

Our not particularly great home record since Paul and Rob arrived is a cause for concern and many would ask the question why this is still an issue.  
Posted by: davmariner, December 31, 2014, 12:01pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ginnywings
Let's blame the fans again shall we?

This team and manager talk a good game but don't deliver, especially at home. Only the team can generate a positive atmosphere and they are failing. Lincoln's first away win for months and they beat us at their place when they had just lost about 6 on the spin. Southport got their first away win for a year also at BP.

In a nutshell, the product isn't attractive and people are voting with their feet.

Also, if you and the players don't like what is said on here, then don't log on. It's a fans forum.

Well said, hit the nail on the head.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 31, 2014, 12:29pm; Reply: 17

So...you wholeheartedly agree that the home support has been sent home happy in general this season? Because that is what the article said.
Putting aside your interests in the club and speaking as a true supporter, as someone who watches in the same stands as we do..you have been sent home, from Blundell Park, happy in general this season?  
I would be amazed if you could answer that in anything other than a NO as 3000 others watching the same games, from the same stands have not.
Maybe if someone was lucky enough to only have attended the Alfreton game then YES...but regular supporters? I dont think so.

Of course we all want to get behind the team but statements that are clearly questionable do not help us bond with the club.  

UTM
Posted by: TAGG, December 31, 2014, 12:30pm; Reply: 18

You would. Just look on here for a better appraisal of the game.

No its not, stop being a girl.
"jumping up and down" In my 15 years as fisherman and countless years Docking I can assure you mammary comes well down on the jumping up and down league table.

You are what is and has been wrong with this club.

"play off's" this just shows you lack of ambition IMO.
We are not in striking distance of the top and never will be with the way we play football under your Manager.
After we weren't out of sight after 41 minutes why didn't the Manager change things around to try get back on top again????  

That's football.
No its not it more to do with the ineptitude of the Manager. When 1-3 down you lose 3 points I would have more respect for Hurst if he changed things by taking a defender off and bringing on an attacking option. Even if it didn't work and we lost 1-5 (still -3 points)at least we would have been seen to be having a go.

There would be Managers backed up around to the Imp for the job and you know it.

Why mention Sir AB?? Are you trying to take credit for bringing him to club????

More importantly than that Derby defeat  Lincoln have taken 6 points off us this season.

So your blaming the fans, nice one.
The negativity has has been draining down from the very top like water torture over the last 10 or so years.
IMO we wont return to the FL any time soon with you still at the helm.  

Blaming the fans again????

Agree.

Agree.

Whos that down to??????

No.

I have been a "13th man" since 1969 and go to every game I can (all this season)
After the Lincoln game I was going on NYD and see what the reaction from the Manager and players was like and take it from there but not now (after this) I will go back when and if we are a league club again.
Thanks for that Mr Fenty

I wish all the fans and all at GTFC a Very Happy New Year  :)
Posted by: petethemariner, December 31, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 19
'An average wage at best'really john? Maybe compared to your income yes, but i can assure you that they will
earn far more than the majority of GTFC supporters - certainly me,  we are asked to pay FL prices for a poor non-league
product, so i feel on a Football Forum we are entitled to air our views and frustrations, there  will be views of both
extremes, very often OTT on both sides - live with it, no-one has died!
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 31, 2014, 1:25pm; Reply: 20

I've read Paul's piece in the press and agree with it wholeheartedly,

That's not the dreaded vote of confidence to the manager is it John ? ;D

Happy New Year to you and all at the club John,

Plus all fishy people on here.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 31, 2014, 1:32pm; Reply: 21
John if we should have been out of sight after 41 minutes you have to ask why we were not and is this a one off?

IMO the answer to one is our failure to get in the required quality in three key areas, firstly, a creative midfield player, secondly an effective winger who can beat his full back ( at least occasionally try to!) and can cross a ball (please explain our dire free and corner kicks) and thirdly, a proven striker at this level. I accept that signing players is not easy but PH has failed to get the right quality in these 3 key areas since their first summer with Dis and Hearn.

Finally, was it a one off, no but a regular occurence at BP and a regular feature of PH's reign as manager. The reasons for this are detailed above. A lot of fans like myself who have been attending for 50 years are starting to drift away and once that die hard group falls by another 500 we all know the club's future starts to look very bleak.
Posted by: the driver, December 31, 2014, 1:41pm; Reply: 22
My grandson my son in law and I will be there and sod the come day go day so called fans not watching so called football super stars we are playing too much football over the holidays what a load of crap they are being paid thousand of pounds just to keep fit
Posted by: rancido, December 31, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 23
A friend of mine visited BP for the first time in 20+ years to see the Lincoln match. It was he that first got me going to watch town back in 1965 and we used to attend every home match and some away. He told me that he thought town played some decent football, was pleasantly surprised at some of the approach play and the main difference was that they took their chances and we didn't. This is from a guy who regularly watches live Premiersh*t games. Although this is only one opinion it does demonstrate how a performance can be interpreted differently by those watching.
As for those on here who immediately " jumped down JF's throat ( getyourfactsright ) " for his post he, never blamed the fans for the performance , just tried to emphasise the need to keep backing the team and staff. His reference to " negativity " isn't a case of apportioning blame but just trying to keep looking at things with a positive frame of mind. We might have lost a battle but the war isn't over. Judging by some of the attitudes on here back in WW 2 after Dunkirk most of you detractors would have just rung Adolf and said OK we surrender, we can't beat you!
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 31, 2014, 2:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from rancido
A friend of mine visited BP for the first time in 20+ years to see the Lincoln match. It was he that first got me going to watch town back in 1965 and we used to attend every home match and some away. He told me that he thought town played some decent football, was pleasantly surprised at some of the approach play and the main difference was that they took their chances and we didn't. This is from a guy who regularly watches live Premiersh*t games. Although this is only one opinion it does demonstrate how a performance can be interpreted differently by those watching.
As for those on here who immediately " jumped down JF's throat ( getyourfactsright ) " for his post he, never blamed the fans for the performance , just tried to emphasise the need to keep backing the team and staff. His reference to " negativity " isn't a case of apportioning blame but just trying to keep looking at things with a positive frame of mind. We might have lost a battle but the war isn't over. Judging by some of the attitudes on here back in WW 2 after Dunkirk most of you detractors would have just rung Adolf and said OK we surrender, we can't beat you!

For a one off game fair comments but take your friend to a few more home games and lets see what he has to say.

"What I fear is, we will not return to the Football Leauge anytime soon with all of this negativity" quoted from JF

A tiny portion of the fan base isn't happy at the majority of clubs, a handful of posters on here isn't enough to create that fear that JF claims.

On our relegation from the league what advice did JF give Lincoln to avoid relegation, I'm sure there was something about negativity from fans.

If you are using WW2 as an analogy, as Town fans we have seen the apocalypse and now we are just hanging around waiting for our souls to be reaped.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 31, 2014, 3:15pm; Reply: 25
I think rather than blaming the fans the club need to be proactive in creating a positive atmosphere at the ground. The way the home support is set out is clearly an issue with the atmosphere drifting out of the top of one corner of the pontoon. I think a post on another thread from Ska Face had some really good and positive ideas about how the club could improve the atmosphere and work with the fans.

I think calling for the managers head at this stage is ridiculous, we are in a pretty good position, people get carried away with each win and loss, a lot of the season is left. It certainly doesn't help berating the players and the football is pretty representative of the level we are at.

If supporting a football team was about getting value for money, we would all have stopped years ago, especially at town!!!!
Posted by: TonySmith, December 31, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 26
   Who actually thinks posting derogatory comments about the manager or the players is helping us to achieve promotion? Anyone? If so, please explain.
If you want to vent, perhaps down the pub with your mates (where no-one who is actually working hard to get our club back into the league has to read it or hear about it) might be the way to go.Or you could just yell at the cat if that helps!
God, I hope we win tomorrow!
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2014, 6:07pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from TonySmith
   Who actually thinks posting derogatory comments about the manager or the players is helping us to achieve promotion? Anyone? If so, please explain.
If you want to vent, perhaps down the pub with your mates (where no-one who is actually working hard to get our club back into the league has to read it or hear about it) might be the way to go.Or you could just yell at the cat if that helps!
God, I hope we win tomorrow!

So, we are not allowed to vent on a fans forum?

Heard it all now.
Posted by: TonySmith, December 31, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 28
Of course you are allowed to vent. I just want someone to explain how it's helpful. Surely, if it's more likely to have the opposite effect, then logically, as a Town fan who wants promotion as much as I do, you might think twice before you post.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TonySmith
Of course you are allowed to vent. I just want someone to explain how it's helpful. Surely, if it's more likely to have the opposite effect, then logically, as a Town fan who wants promotion as much as I do, you might think twice before you post.

No, i won't think twice before i post. That's the whole point of a fans forum. I never ever give grief to the players at BP because that IS counter productive.

If the venting of spleens on here is negatively affecting the players, then they shouldn't be looking. Seems to me it's the big crowds and weight of expectation that is getting to them when it should be inspiring them.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 31, 2014, 6:38pm; Reply: 30
The whole point is how many scoring chances we miss,this has not improved since the beginning of the season,management has repeatedly failed to address it.
That is the failure that fans are frustrated at.Take away the 13 goals in 2 games and we have a relegation scoring record.If it was not for our defense we would be in trouble.
This not the foundation of a promotion team can build on.This really is Hirst's last chance to address the problem,as soon as the transfer window opens.But not doubt we will be hearing the well worn phrase 'us will be sticking with what us has got'.

Mr Fenty please believe a lot of die hard season tickets will not be renewing in July unless the problem is addressed now.
Posted by: mariner tommy, December 31, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from ginnywings

No, i won't think twice before i post. That's the whole point of a fans forum. I never ever give grief to the players at BP because that IS counter productive.

If the venting of spleens on here is negatively affecting the players, then they shouldn't be looking. Seems to me it's the big crowds and weight of expectation that is getting to them when it should be inspiring them.

I thought you said in a previous post that you hardly ever go to the games now ?

UTM
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 31, 2014, 6:58pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from TonySmith

Maybe the 5 to 10 fishy posters whose influence is so magnificent should be hired out to NATO.  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 1, 2015, 5:42am; Reply: 33
Quoted from mariner tommy

I thought you said in a previous post that you hardly ever go to the games now ?

UTM

No, i never said that.
Posted by: chaos33, January 1, 2015, 9:22am; Reply: 34
I've read this thread with interest, especially the post from JF - measured, balanced, helpful, and well written as always.

Firstly, I agree that 'vile abuse' is unwarranted and unacceptable. Anybody abusing our players or manager at games or on forums is bringing shame on themselves and the club and hindering our efforts, but that's the world we live in unfortunately. We need to get on with it and shrug it off. I haven't seen too much in the way of disgusting insults on here, although John himself has been known to indulge from time to time. Many of the players use Twitter and Facebook, and that's where you'll find the real problems. Goading, abuse, insults...it's all part of that package, and is the reason why I personally avoid it all. As Ginny said - if certain people don't like what's written on here - much of it critical analysis that is wrongly categorised as negativity or abuse, then don't log on.

I wonder who it is the majority shareholder is trying to convince? It's time we all faced facts. We all know that we have to be promoted this season or it's over. Probably the end for Hurst, many of the supporters will finally give up, damaging the club economically and the MS himself may well find it difficult to go on, both personally and financially. I think that subtext is evident in JF's somewhat desperate post.

Now, we do indeed need to stand together, but the club really must deliver this season and we all know it. Public statements berating supporters are counterproductive and are insulting in themselves - something I thought we were railing against. Analysis, and constructive criticism is useful to us if we're going to evolve from a team that is hedging its bets for the play offs with no guarantees, and a team that is, in reality, 'within striking distance of top spot'. We need to stand together, sure, but it's up to the team and manager primarily.

Many people continue to back GTFC despite the perpetual disappointment, and we're lucky that they do. Most supporters are balanced and positive for the most part. Just look at what we could have if only the team would deliver? 7000 crowd on Boxing Day!

It's all there lads. The club needs to show the public that they intend to take their opportunity, not continue to fall into the same old traps, drive away supporters and blame someone or something else. Let's take responsibility, and take the opportunity whilst it's there.

UTM.
Posted by: Garth, January 1, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 35
Quoted from TonySmith

If its helpful at all its because its focusing the minds and thoughts of the management and players that a substantial number of supporters are unhappy with some aspects of current happenings, if you never had  a forum to air these concerns every one would assume that like North Koreans, every thing is cush-ty
Posted by: barralad, January 1, 2015, 1:33pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Garth

If its helpful at all its because its focusing the minds and thoughts of the management and players that a substantial number of supporters are unhappy with some aspects of current happenings, if you never had  a forum to air these concerns every one would assume that like North Koreans, every thing is cush-ty

(confused1)
Posted by: chaos33, January 1, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 37
More of the same again today then. How long must we go on not learning our lessons?
Posted by: moosey_club, January 1, 2015, 7:14pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from chaos33
More of the same again today then. How long must we go on not learning our lessons?

Speak for yourself, i left feeling "generally happy" as i normally do when leaving BP, nice to only concede 2 goals at home, didnt have to queue as long for anything today either...happy days.. thanks Mr. Hurst.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 1, 2015, 7:34pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33
I've read this thread with interest, especially the post from JF - measured, balanced, helpful, and well written as always.

Firstly, I agree that 'vile abuse' is unwarranted and unacceptable. Anybody abusing our players or manager at games or on forums is bringing shame on themselves and the club and hindering our efforts, but that's the world we live in unfortunately. We need to get on with it and shrug it off. I haven't seen too much in the way of disgusting insults on here, although John himself has been known to indulge from time to time. Many of the players use Twitter and Facebook, and that's where you'll find the real problems. Goading, abuse, insults...it's all part of that package, and is the reason why I personally avoid it all. As Ginny said - if certain people don't like what's written on here - much of it critical analysis that is wrongly categorised as negativity or abuse, then don't log on.

I wonder who it is the majority shareholder is trying to convince? It's time we all faced facts. We all know that we have to be promoted this season or it's over. Probably the end for Hurst, many of the supporters will finally give up, damaging the club economically and the MS himself may well find it difficult to go on, both personally and financially. I think that subtext is evident in JF's somewhat desperate post.

Now, we do indeed need to stand together, but the club really must deliver this season and we all know it. Public statements berating supporters are counterproductive and are insulting in themselves - something I thought we were railing against. Analysis, and constructive criticism is useful to us if we're going to evolve from a team that is hedging its bets for the play offs with no guarantees, and a team that is, in reality, 'within striking distance of top spot'. We need to stand together, sure, but it's up to the team and manager primarily.

Many people continue to back GTFC despite the perpetual disappointment, and we're lucky that they do. Most supporters are balanced and positive for the most part. Just look at what we could have if only the team would deliver? 7000 crowd on Boxing Day!

It's all there lads. The club needs to show the public that they intend to take their opportunity, not continue to fall into the same old traps, drive away supporters and blame someone or something else. Let's take responsibility, and take the opportunity whilst it's there.

UTM.

Spot on.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 1, 2015, 9:54pm; Reply: 40

That's football.

And I thought that the supplier should always respect the paying customer. I've only had 25 years in sales and marketing, what would I know?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 1, 2015, 10:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And I thought that the supplier should always respect the paying customer. I've only had 25 years in sales and marketing, what would I know?

No customers = no business the customer is always right (groupwave)(groupwave1)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 42
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

No customers = no business the customer is always right (groupwave)(groupwave1)

Well there's going to be even less customers to please at home to Gateshead next week for sure.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 2, 2015, 11:38am; Reply: 43

[b][The threads about the Manager and players are, on the whole disgusting and signifies a lot of what is wrong with the club./b]

That's football.

[b][/What I fear is, we will not return to the Football Leauge anytime soon with all of this negativityb].

John when are you going to start looking at YOUR decisions and input as to why we are were we are hey ?

to be honest I am getting quite sick of your posts were you blame everything but you and the choice of managers YOU have employed and the fact that after paul having successive chances of trying to get us promoted but failed you felt he should keep going ..WHY ?

the fans that you accuse of being negative are the ones who are sick to death of deja vu from the way you come on here blaming everyone for being negative to the manager blaming the fans or the referee when we lose a game rather than thinking him or the way his players have played are the reason we lost , well john incase you haven't noticed the man you back to the hill has no connection with the fans or a belief amongst the fans he can take us up they also are the ones who pay £18 who turn up to watch some of the most horrible football to grace Blundell park since your tenure.

yes we can all blame whoever ITV digital or mariners kitchen john but the truth is since you have had the helm we have had season after season of decline and yet you still blame the fans of being negative well im sorry but please forgive us of seeing the same shite on repeat and for me that's a complete cop out, maybe look in the mirror.

John I sincerely thank you for your input to the club with funds and I really do believe you have made decisions out of genuine belief but lets be honest you have yourself to blame for a lot of this in example the neil woods decision just for one ! yet I never hear you say the decisions which YOU made at boardroom level have been wrong.

no its all the fans fault !

jesus christ john can you blame us, this is a club I love that has just sunk and sunk to low after low , well im sorry if I don't have much faith in the current set up I mean after all can you blame me ?

listen when this club starts changing I will return and the fans this club have lost will follow suit until you stop being so stubborn and start admitting your mistakes this club aint going anywere.
Posted by: gtfc82, January 2, 2015, 11:48am; Reply: 44
Looking at Getyourfactsright's post, I still don't believe it's Fenty! There's too many mistakes with spelling and grammar for an educated businessman!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 2, 2015, 11:50am; Reply: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82

John when are you going to start looking at YOUR decisions and input as to why we are were we are hey ?

to be honest I am getting quite sick of your posts were you blame everything but you and the choice of managers YOU have employed and the fact that after paul having successive chances of trying to get us promoted but failed you felt he should keep going ..WHY ?

the fans that you accuse of being negative are the ones who are sick to death of deja vu from the way you come on here blaming everyone for being negative to the manager blaming the fans or the referee when we lose a game rather than thinking him or the way his players have played are the reason we lost , well john incase you haven't noticed the man you back to the hill has no connection with the fans or a belief amongst the fans he can take us up they also are the ones who pay £18 who turn up to watch some of the most horrible football to grace Blundell park since your tenure.

yes we can all blame whoever ITV digital or mariners kitchen john but the truth is since you have had the helm we have had season after season of decline and yet you still blame the fans of being negative well im sorry but please forgive us of seeing the same shite on repeat and for me that's a complete cop out, maybe look in the mirror.

John I sincerely thank you for your input to the club with funds and I really do believe you have made decisions out of genuine belief but lets be honest you have yourself to blame for a lot of this in example the neil woods decision just for one ! yet I never hear you say the decisions which YOU made at boardroom level have been wrong.

no its all the fans fault !

jesus christ john can you blame us, this is a club I love that has just sunk and sunk to low after low , well im sorry if I don't have much faith in the current set up I mean after all can you blame me ?

listen when this club starts changing I will return and the fans this club have lost will follow suit until you stop being so stubborn and start admitting your mistakes this club aint going anywere.

I feel your frustrations and I am sure many of echo them.

I think it is even worse than you say though. It is pretty obvious we are going nowhere under the current regime and the whole place needs freshening up to put it mildly. Changing the manager might have a short term effect (though I don't think it will happen) but the real problem is the ownership.

We need new money men  but nobody will bail him out, nobody seems to want to work with him and we have the dreaded benign loans hanging over us.

The future is bleak until somehow he gets his money back (cant blame him for wanting that - well I can but I am being generous) and we get a new start.

Its not going to happen though, so we just have to plod along I guess.  
Posted by: RoboCod, January 2, 2015, 11:52am; Reply: 46
Dec 29th; GTE headline "Grimsby Town boss backs his men after loss to Lincoln City"

Jan 2nd; GTE headline "New signings on the radar for Grimsby Town"

We're floundering and the season ebbs away.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 2, 2015, 11:55am; Reply: 47
Quoted from RoboCod
Dec 29th; GTE headline "Grimsby Town boss backs his men after loss to Lincoln City"

Just about sums up what real faith he has in his squad.

If he mentions he wont bring in players for the sake of it then I will point him to Hamish Watson and nicky walker then shoot myself  ??)
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 2, 2015, 11:56am; Reply: 48
Quoted from RoboCod

Sums the guy up for me, we have gone from "we played well" to "I am looking for new players" in two games.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 12:18pm; Reply: 49

I think it is even worse than you say though. It is pretty obvious we are going nowhere under the current regime and the whole place needs freshening up to put it mildly. Changing the manager might have a short term effect (though I don't think it will happen) but the real problem is the ownership.

We need new money men  but nobody will bail him out, nobody seems to want to work with him and we have the dreaded benign loans hanging over us.

The future is bleak until somehow he gets his money back (cant blame him for wanting that - well I can but I am being generous) and we get a new start.

I suppose when the club is indebted to such a large amount in loans (how benign is benign?) to Mr Fenty then he has the right to call the shots. But then again, is he saying that the paying customer (us) don't have the right to question the decisions and dealings of a board that he has led and chaired/been the custodian of (his words) that has overseen the most catastrophic decade in the club's history?

The negativity is in the club from the top. It's the one thing that Mike Newell was right about. We just keep chucking good money after bad - not just the board but the fans too and now we've added the smokescreen of a new stadium - which would be great if we had a decent team to put on it in a decent league!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 2, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 50

Plod along is right. The only way JF will give up the reins is if he has a remarkably good offer and that won't happen. But I don't think it's all about money, I think he likes the job, warts and all. He likes having control of his local club so he isn't going to want to go out on a low. Hence the new ground smokescreen that he would see as his lasting monument.

It's all very understandable when you have seen your money go down the pan for years and never a promotion but it doesn't help and he doesn't strike me as being the sort of person to make himself a sacrifice.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 2:32pm; Reply: 51

Plod along is right. The only way JF will give up the reins is if he has a remarkably good offer and that won't happen. But I don't think it's all about money, I think he likes the job, warts and all. He likes having control of his local club so he isn't going to want to go out on a low. Hence the new ground smokescreen that he would see as his lasting monument.

It's all very understandable when you have seen your money go down the pan for years and never a promotion but it doesn't help and he doesn't strike me as being the sort of person to make himself a sacrifice.

Plodding along is not an option. A place back in the Football League is the minimum justification for a new stadium in the eyes of many in the area whether they are football fans or not. I know many former regulars at Blundell Park who believe that a new stadium is far less important than league status, whatever the financial consequences for the future of the club. Unfortunately, there are many who believe that the club is no longer part of the community which is a really sad indictment on what has happened to GTFC.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 2, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 52

That's football.

That's it John. Blame the people with the least say in matters.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 2, 2015, 10:39pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Maringer

We have now.
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 12:40am; Reply: 54
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We have now.

Glad you're happy.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2015, 9:59am; Reply: 55

That's it John. Blame the people with the least say in matters.

Always easier to point the finger at others rather than accept responsibility yourself. Of course, us fans have had no input on all the corporate decisions regarding the club's future - all we've done is continue to keep a regular fanbase and therefore a regular income despite a continued failure to improve on the pitch and one of the deepest financial crises ever in one of the worst-hit areas. And it seems that now, Mr Fenty expects us not to be able to voice our opinion on one of the most dreary football teams with an equally negative manager that the club has ever seen.

In addition, the 'promised land' is a new 12-14,000 seater stadium which will never be more than 25% full with the current standard of football on offer. Getting it right on the pitch is the priority otherwise there won't be any point moving.
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 10:15am; Reply: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In addition, the 'promised land' is a new 12-14,000 seater stadium which will never be more than 25% full with the current standard of football on offer. Getting it right on the pitch is the priority otherwise there won't be any point moving.

It would rarely be near 50% full even if we were to win a couple of promotions!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Maringer

It would rarely be near 50% full even if we were to win a couple of promotions!

Quite. This is the part of the finance thing that I don't get - I know that a new stadium may generate more revenue by offering a wider range of facilities but it's going to cost to build in the first place and no matter what league you are in, you need to be a football fan to watch anyway so there would be no increase in matchday revenue, would there?
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 58
One thing that does often happen is that attendances do tend to go up to some degree when a new stadium is built. Or, at least, it used to happen in the past. Not sure if the same is true in the current economic climate. Whether this is due to extra investment and success of the team at the same time as the new stadium opens, I don't know.

I suppose there will be exceptions to the rule as well such as Darlington, but that stadium was a bit of an unpopular white elephant built way out of town.

I wasn't in favour of the original Great Coates site as that was just a long way away from many of the fans. The current proposed site seems a much better choice for me as it is much more central and I think the community aspects of the plan would prove a real boon to a town which needs all the help it can get at the moment, especially.
Posted by: grimps, January 3, 2015, 11:55am; Reply: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Quite. This is the part of the finance thing that I don't get - I know that a new stadium may generate more revenue by offering a wider range of facilities but it's going to cost to build in the first place and no matter what league you are in, you need to be a football fan to watch anyway so there would be no increase in matchday revenue, would there?

If we had had a new 20000 seater stadium back in the early 90s when the idea was first floated then our gates would have been a hell of a lot higher.
Not only would more Town fans have been interested in the new stadium we'd have been able to give the likes of Man city , Sheff clubs , Newcastle ect would have been able to bring 4-5000 with them instead of the 2000 we could offer them at that time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 3, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Maringer

Glad you're happy.

Who said I'm happy? Why do you think I'm happy to see us fail? Bizarre line of reasoning Maringer.
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 5:48pm; Reply: 61

Who said I'm happy? Why do you think I'm happy to see us fail? Bizarre line of reasoning Maringer.

As bizarre as bringing up a jokey post from over 3 days earlier (an eternity in the land of the messageboard), for the sole reason of having a dig?

I'm very comfortable with my comment.
Posted by: JonnyK, January 4, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 62
Quoted from rancido

The lincoln game was my first game for a while as well and I too thought it was quite encouraging as defeats go. Never seen lincoln play that well in my years of going and I enjoyed at least seeing us create plenty of chances.

Totally surprised by the macc result though and that really shook my confidence that we were promotion contenders.  To win the league, any team needs a good, long run of form and until the macc game I thought we were in as good a position as any, except Barnet,  to do so. Now I believe it is all about our run to the play-offs. As much as I have finally lost faith with Hurst I think we'll have more chance getting promoted with him than without
Posted by: kingster72, January 4, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 63
We can write the season off that's for sure. JF's backing for Hurst is crazy, we will NOT go up with him in charge and giving him the transfer window to mess up again, will only make things harder with a new man in the summer.  The squad is strong enough to be matching Barnet already, they just ain't playing to their potentional and that's Hurst's fault! Like WBA & Palace showed, bottle should have been shown before the window opened to get someone in.  An exciting no fear type of boss like Eddie Howe needs to be appointed, not a negative type, who is constantly bigging up the opposition before games, like we have now.  JF again shows he is clueless in understanding GTFC.
Posted by: JonnyK, January 4, 2015, 10:57am; Reply: 64
Quoted from kingster72
We can write the season off that's for sure. JF's backing for Hurst is crazy, we will NOT go up with him in charge and giving him the transfer window to mess up again, will only make things harder with a new man in the summer.  The squad is strong enough to be matching Barnet already, they just ain't playing to their potentional and that's Hurst's fault! Like WBA & Palace showed, bottle should have been shown before the window opened to get someone in.  An exciting no fear type of boss like Eddie Howe needs to be appointed, not a negative type, who is constantly bigging up the opposition before games, like we have now.  JF again shows he is clueless in understanding GTFC.

If Eddie Howe style bosses were 2-a-penny then I'd agree. But they're not, and there's no guarantee that a change will bring success.  

It's ludicrous to say that we can write the season off on the back of 2 defeats ( before the usual 'its been that way all season though!', consider how strong a position we'd be in with those scores reversed). I wouldn't waste even a fiver now on Town to win the league, but surely we have as strong a chance as any to make the play-offs? We've got a track record of getting that far, at least?  It may not be enough for our beloved club to say 'play-offs are the aim', but I couldn't care less if we go up in 1st or 5th.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 4, 2015, 11:13am; Reply: 65
Quoted from JonnyK

If Eddie Howe style bosses were 2-a-penny then I'd agree. But they're not, and there's no guarantee that a change will bring success.  

It's ludicrous to say that we can write the season off on the back of 2 defeats ( before the usual 'its been that way all season though!', consider how strong a position we'd be in with those scores reversed). I wouldn't waste even a fiver now on Town to win the league, but surely we have as strong a chance as any to make the play-offs? We've got a track record of getting that far, at least?  It may not be enough for our beloved club to say 'play-offs are the aim', but I couldn't care less if we go up in 1st or 5th.

Some good points JonnyK but the frustrations are aimed at our poor home performances and our record of how we have played in the play off's.  

We have been as weak as a poof's fart in the business end of the season, and things don't look like they are going to change. I don't think there would as much frustration if the home / away record was reversed.  Our budget comes from our home gates, the players and Hurst have to grasp this fact.

Also bear in mind that if our home record was great then our away following would be even larger than it is, this could help build momentum and there would be more Town fans than home fans at most away games.

It's not just getting to the play off's, it's the manner of how we get there and what our potential is when we get there.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 4, 2015, 11:24am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Marinerz93

Some good points JonnyK but the frustrations are aimed at our poor home performances and our record of how we have played in the play off's.  

We have been as weak as a poof's fart in the business end of the season, and things don't look like they are going to change. I don't think there would as much frustration if the home / away record was reversed.  Our budget comes from our home gates, the players and Hurst have to grasp this fact.

Also bear in mind that if our home record was great then our away following would be even larger than it is, this could help build momentum and there would be more Town fans than home fans at most away games.

It's not just getting to the play off's, it's the manner of how we get there and what our potential is when we get there.

There's two things that come from this.

1. Hurst/Fenty/whoever need to instil into the players that they need to be at it from the start. We always look second best (particularly at home) in the first 15 minutes.

2. Someone needs to make a decision to somehow organise the fans so that the vocal element are all together as they are at away games. The atmosphere and noise needs to be raised several notches.
Posted by: kingster72, January 5, 2015, 9:08am; Reply: 67
Quoted from JonnyK

My comments are not based on the last 2 defeats, more the lack of getting results against part-timers that we have done so often, to be 15 points behind at this stage is unforgivable.  We have a good squad that is plain to see, finishing 1st had to be the aim and that looks highly unlikely, even if we were beat Barnet twice now.  Hurst is not capable of getting success in the play-offs.
With a decent manager in control of this squad we would have been top.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2015, 6:51pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Maringer

As bizarre as bringing up a jokey post from over 3 days earlier (an eternity in the land of the messageboard), for the sole reason of having a dig?

I'm very comfortable with my comment.

Well pardon me for not being on the button. I do apologise for having an outside life.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 6, 2015, 6:56pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There's two things that come from this.

1. Hurst/Fenty/whoever need to instil into the players that they need to be at it from the start. We always look second best (particularly at home) in the first 15 minutes.

2. Someone needs to make a decision to somehow organise the fans so that the vocal element are all together as they are at away games. The atmosphere and noise needs to be raised several notches.

Just out of interest, how many games have you been to this season?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 6, 2015, 7:20pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Just out of interest, how many games have you been to this season?

Four this, but it's just the same as the second half of last season.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 6, 2015, 8:53pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Four this, but it's just the same as the second half of last season.

How so? Started quite brightly against, fgr, Lincoln and Macclesfield, went to shite in the 2nd of those games.

We've been generally pants at home, away we've been pretty good when I've gone. It's not quite as drastically shite as you are making out.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:48pm