Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Richard Cranium, December 29, 2014, 9:53pm
The atmosphere created by our travelling faans is fantastic.
About time it was created at home games. Lincoln fans were heard, We weren't.
Richard Broadley will be looking down on you. Sort it for him.
He will always be remembered as a legend
Posted by: DocTower, December 29, 2014, 10:09pm; Reply: 1
Thing is Richard we need something to get us going . It seems years since we were up and down from our seats with excitement . The only thing that gets you and me up is our weak bladder .
Posted by: Richard Cranium, December 29, 2014, 10:18pm; Reply: 2
And you are catching me up then youngster
Posted by: moosey_club, December 29, 2014, 10:23pm; Reply: 3
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that for the last two seasons we have failed to win more games at home than we actually manage to win. We are uninspiring and unsuccesful at home, attendances are falling and those that remain know what is coming.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), December 29, 2014, 11:27pm; Reply: 4
We could start with not blaming the current set of players for the past 10 years.  BP has a poisonous atmosphere and if I was a Town player then I would much rather be playing for Alfreton with 500 people supporting you instead of 2000 people against you but money and ambition talks. The longer we stay in the conference the louder the moans and groans will get. It makes you wonder if Hurst is forced to play 'dull' football at home as he know if he does play patience and pretty football on the deck then the crowd will get on there backs. Gary Mills teams always play it to the back and play it safe when required, imagine if we adapted such a style of football in the present day there would be riots around BP due the players not playing it forward 24/7.
Posted by: petethemariner, December 30, 2014, 12:02am; Reply: 5
There is no one 'right' style of Football, what most punters at BP want to see is a mix of the two, the ability to put a foot on the
ball and pass when able, plus  a directness when possible, 'Tippy Tappy' alone will get us about as far as 'Hoofball' alone,its a balance
thats needed and is still missing in my opinion, surely after 4 years in charge in one guise or other, Hurst can at least provide  some
imaginative tactics in the final third, you know, players breaking  into the opponents penalty area,sometimes beyond our forwards,
wingers whose sole intention is to get behind opposition defences and whip dangerous balls into the box, as Lincoln did with 2 of their
3 goals yesterday, the occasional imaginative set piece wouldn't go amiss (what do they do in training all week) in my opinion .its the
predictability and staleness of our play at home that's causing the flat atmosphere around BP.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 1:10am; Reply: 6
Quoted from 1739
We could start with not blaming the current set of players for the past 10 years.  BP has a poisonous atmosphere

This x100.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 30, 2014, 1:22am; Reply: 7
Quoted from 1739
We could start with not blaming the current set of players for the past 10 years.  BP has a poisonous atmosphere and if I was a Town player then I would much rather be playing for Alfreton with 500 people supporting you instead of 2000 people against you but money and ambition talks. The longer we stay in the conference the louder the moans and groans will get. It makes you wonder if Hurst is forced to play 'dull' football at home as he know if he does play patience and pretty football on the deck then the crowd will get on there backs. Gary Mills teams always play it to the back and play it safe when required, imagine if we adapted such a style of football in the present day there would be riots around BP due the players not playing it forward 24/7.

I'm sorry but that is a load of bollox, over 7,000 fans turned out against Lincoln and the vast majority were desperate for a Town win and what did we get, a pitiful performance by some of the players and poor at the best from the rest.

These past two or three seasons have seen some of the poorest Town performances at home in a long time and that is the responsibility of the manager and the players.  
Posted by: lukeo, December 30, 2014, 7:06am; Reply: 8
2 main reasons why away fans out sing us at home..

1. all the vocal away fans are together and are there for a day out.
2. the stand were we are supposed to create the most noise has an open roof.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i think away fans should be put in the pontoon. reasons:
1. osmond helps create more atmosphere the way the roof is slanted.
2. the away end is always empty so i'd rather see empty black and white seats than red
3. more home fans can get in for 'big games'

IF this can never happen, 5-6 years ago me and gilly got 10 of us in the main stand family stand and it created a great atmophere (again with the roofing) maybe a group of 'vocal fans' should try that?
Posted by: barralad, December 30, 2014, 8:17am; Reply: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm sorry but that is a load of bollox, over 7,000 fans turned out against Lincoln and the vast majority were desperate for a Town win and what did we get, a pitiful performance by some of the players and poor at the best from the rest.

These past two or three seasons have seen some of the poorest Town performances at home in a long time and that is the responsibility of the manager and the players.  

Their desperation didn't translate into vocal support-even for the 40 odd minutes that there was parity or we were actually in front. Whatever happened to getting behind the team when things are going against you? The atmosphere changed for good in the instant Power scored their second goal.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 30, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 10
Interesting debate as for years the atmosphere at BP, particularly night games, was spot on but in recent years only recall that for Scunny and Huddersfield cup games, even home play off matches fail to sell out and lacked backin, JF's flag breaking aside.

Think seating does not help and historically the noise would eminate from the Pontoon and then Findus et al would join in but you never really hear anything out of Ponny nowadays. Maybe its seating and fact the singers, or potential ones, cannot get grouped together. It is sad that Lincoln fans have created a great atmosphere and backing at both our matches this season and this must help motivate players.

Add the fact that since the "Hearn" season we have not been that exciting to watch at home and we may have some of the reason but certainly there is a feeling of doom and gloom about the place from the moment you enter the ground
Posted by: davmariner, December 30, 2014, 2:09pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from lukeo

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i think away fans should be put in the pontoon. reasons:
2. the away end is always empty so i'd rather see empty black and white seats than red

IF this can never happen, 5-6 years ago me and gilly got 10 of us in the main stand family stand and it created a great atmophere (again with the roofing) maybe a group of 'vocal fans' should try that?

So fans look at the roof and think "yes the roof is slanted I think I'll have a sing" ???
Posted by: petethemariner, December 30, 2014, 3:16pm; Reply: 12
To be fair Lukeo has a point- the acoustics on the Pontoon have definitely suffered since the corners have been made
totally open, whereas the Osmond still has one fully contained corner which holds sound better.
Not sure i would go as far as giving the ponny to away fans though, the Osmond corner is easily sufficient for just about
all away support in this league and if they haven't already done so,the club should speak to the police to make this happen IMO
Mind you,on the other if the team produced more exciting football, perhaps that  would be the answer!
Posted by: Badger57, December 30, 2014, 3:24pm; Reply: 13
There's no atmosphere because we play dull, boring uninspiring safety first football instilled by the most dull, boring, uninspiring safety first manager we've EVER had and it's as simple as that!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 30, 2014, 3:38pm; Reply: 14
It's not exciting but 'safety first' is fine by me. GTFC teams of recent years that used to ship stupid goals every week are still vivid in the memory
Posted by: highcliff mariner, December 30, 2014, 3:49pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from lukeo

I sat that end of the main on Sunday,usually upper . There was a smallish group of lads created a good atmosphere in that area  ..
Posted by: Jaws, December 30, 2014, 4:49pm; Reply: 16
Home atmosphere was OK until the last third of last season. Before then the back-left was a pretty good spot in the Pontoon, Now it seems like there is a section in the middle trying to get it going but still a small core sitting with the drum - a lot of chants are disjointed. I'd love the guys from the middle to sit in the top left I think it'd improve things.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 30, 2014, 5:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

Their desperation didn't translate into vocal support-even for the 40 odd minutes that there was parity or we were actually in front. Whatever happened to getting behind the team when things are going against you? The atmosphere changed for good in the instant Power scored their second goal.

Well I don't know where you sit but there were those in the Upper Findus trying to get the atmosphere going but to be fair to them when it was 0-0 and even when we went 1-0 up we were still playing crap so I still say it is up to the players to do there bit first, even the most vociferous fan will start to get p!ssed off when all you see are aimless punts forward or wingers who cannot be arsed to try to get passed a defender and cross the ball.

Posted by: grimsby pete, December 30, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 18
My thoughts are,

At away games the town fans have been drinking since 7 or 8 am,not on Terry's Bus though, ;D

So if we want the same noise from our home fans,

The Imp will have to open at 7 am. (wine)(wine)(yahoo)(wine)(wine)
Posted by: immariner, December 30, 2014, 6:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Jaws
Home atmosphere was OK until the last third of last season. Before then the back-left was a pretty good spot in the Pontoon, Now it seems like there is a section in the middle trying to get it going but still a small core sitting with the drum - a lot of chants are disjointed. I'd love the guys from the middle to sit in the top left I think it'd improve things.

How is sitting in that corner of the Pontoon, which has an open side, as far away from the only other stand that has people chanting as it is possible to be, a good idea to improve atmosphere? The atmosphere died in the Pontoon when people started sitting in that corner.
Posted by: Jaws, December 30, 2014, 6:50pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from immariner

How is sitting in that corner of the Pontoon, which has an open side, as far away from the only other stand that has people chanting as it is possible to be, a good idea to improve atmosphere? The atmosphere died in the Pontoon when people started sitting in that corner.

You'll find the larger the group chanting the more people will join in and it grows. The drum gets people going in that corner and it's not allowed in the middle. Some people will whinge that it doesn't get the Findus going. A family stand will never have a great atmosphere, never has done at any club. Also if you're expecting the Pontoon to get the upper findus going then get real. Also there are some in the pontoon who want to be far away from the chanting some students/unemployed who's financial circumstances mean they have to sit in the pontoon to save a few bob - all in all it's better at one end and a lot easier for people when they go to book their tickets as no-one will willingly ask to go on the left side unless they had a good reason.
Posted by: timmo, December 30, 2014, 6:58pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Jaws

Problem is we start a chant. The lads at the left look at us then either start a completely different one or the same but half way through ours.

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: mariner tommy, December 30, 2014, 7:08pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from timmo

Problem is we start a chant. The lads at the left look at us then either start a completely different one or the same but half way through ours.

Timmo
UTM

Why can't, all those that want to sing, all sit in the middle of the pontoon, behind the goal.
That's how it was all through my pontoon years and there was never a problem, plus the fact you were heard all round the ground. Mind you, there were about 4,000 people in there.
And there lies the problem, there's just not enough people singing and that is the problem.
I'm sorry but it's got nothing to do with the sloping roof or open side, it's just not enough people.

UTM
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 30, 2014, 7:25pm; Reply: 23
On normal low gate matches people should be able to sit where they want ( ST's aside) obv's .
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 30, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 24
To be honest Lincoln fans were magnificent on Sunday vocal and loud the Dambusters rendition near the end was a very fitting finale.

Mission accomplished over and out.

Our fans reflected the stuttering nervy way we played no confidence or belief simple as that. Davy Boylen summed it up to me when I spoke to him  a few months ago, the team he played in WANTED to win every game and fought like hell right to the end. That's when Blundell Park became a fortress and the fans backed them because they could see the effort being put in.
Posted by: Rick12, December 30, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 25
Remember last season at Barnets ground we outsung their lot and created more atmosphere. Made me proud to be a fan that day
Posted by: davmariner, December 30, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To be honest Lincoln fans were magnificent on Sunday vocal and loud the Dambusters rendition near the end was a very fitting finale.

Mission accomplished over and out.

Our fans reflected the stuttering nervy way we played no confidence or belief simple as that. Davy Boylen summed it up to me when I spoke to him  a few months ago, the team he played in WANTED to win every game and fought like hell right to the end. That's when Blundell Park became a fortress and the fans backed them because they could see the effort being put in.

They were more vocal than usual, which quite frankly isn't hard given how quiet they've been in recent times. Hardly "magnificent".

Didn't appreciate that they didn't respect the one minute silence.
Posted by: GTFCAcko, December 30, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Richard Cranium
The atmosphere created by our travelling faans is fantastic.
About time it was created at home games. Lincoln fans were heard, We weren't.
Richard Broadley will be looking down on you. Sort it for him.
He will always be remembered as a legend

I agree most of the time Blundell Park is silent about time some away fans challenged us for the atmosphere  :) :X
Posted by: petethemariner, December 30, 2014, 11:13pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from davmariner

They were more vocal than usual, which quite frankly isn't hard given how quiet they've been in recent times. Hardly "magnificent".

Didn't appreciate that they didn't respect the one minute silence.

Make no mistake, i'm no apologist for Lincoln fans, dislike them nearly as much as Scumthorpe fans to be honest, but
really c'ant have that they didn't respect the minutes silence, there were 800 of them there and one kn0b shouted
something near the end of the minute, the rest of them respected it perfectly, so credit where credits due FFS.
Posted by: JMT, December 31, 2014, 12:39am; Reply: 29
Quoted from petethemariner

Make no mistake, i'm no apologist for Lincoln fans, dislike them nearly as much as Scumthorpe fans to be honest, but
really c'ant have that they didn't respect the minutes silence, there were 800 of them there and one kn0b shouted
something near the end of the minute, the rest of them respected it perfectly, so credit where credits due FFS.

it was one of our fans who shouted something and started it near the end unfortunately..
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 31, 2014, 8:21am; Reply: 30
Quoted from JMT

it was one of our fans who shouted something and started it near the end unfortunately..

WHS it was GY moron sat in the Main who shouted inbreds at the Lincoln fans who ruined the minutes silence.You would think the stewards would have found him and ejected him from the ground.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 31, 2014, 10:46am; Reply: 31
Quoted from 1mickylyons

WHS it was GY moron sat in the Main who shouted inbreds at the Lincoln fans who ruined the minutes silence.You would think the stewards would have found him and ejected him from the ground.

And used him as target practice for half time warm ups ;)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, December 31, 2014, 11:33am; Reply: 32
The answer, and the solution that addresses most of the above issues, is pretty obvious, and also easy to implement.  The club should open the Osmond to home fans, and allow fans from the lower Findus and Pontoon to move into there during the game.  Away fans (apart from the bigger clubs who bring more and will need the Osmond corner or whole Osmond) can be accommodated in the Main Stand and welcomed into the family bar, as there's no need for segregation when there are only 10-50 visiting supporters.   This would also give home fans access to the Away supporters' bar, which would alleviate pressure on the lower Findus bar and bring more money into the club, rather than having people spending their money in the Imp or BPH.   It makes no sense to have one bar dedicated to serving 14 visiting fans while the club is contemplating locking season ticket holders out of their own bar.

There's also a lot to be said for just changing something to mix it up a bit.  The players might like having five hundred of their own fans behind the goal they're attacking, making some noise at corners, shouting for penalties and getting at the opposition, rather than shooting towards an empty stand.  At Dartford recently, we took about 400 and everyone changed ends at half time with no trouble, so I hope the club can give it a go.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 31, 2014, 12:28pm; Reply: 33
The Lincoln team and the Lincoln fans were well up for it from the start. I know a few of their fans and they are a lot happier bunch sine the new manager came in. They are now actually seeing some football and positive results. Makes a big difference.

This topic regularly rears it's head on the fishy and there are all sorts of suggestions as to how to make the atmosphere better. They are all well intentioned but ultimately will not work. You cannot just generate noise. It comes when there is something to get excited about on and off the pitch.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 31, 2014, 1:47pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings
The Lincoln team and the Lincoln fans were well up for it from the start. I know a few of their fans and they are a lot happier bunch sine the new manager came in. They are now actually seeing some football and positive results. Makes a big difference.

This topic regularly rears it's head on the fishy and there are all sorts of suggestions as to how to make the atmosphere better. They are all well intentioned but ultimately will not work. You cannot just generate noise. It comes when there is something to get excited about on and off the pitch.

Ginny  like you I, as you would expect living here, know many Lincoln fans and you are right that after the initial disbelief at Moyes' appointment they are now right behind him for two reasons. Most importantly, he has introduced a more attacking approach and taken the Hurst like handcuffs off and second he is a local lad and well known throughout the City so there is that extra incentive for him to succeed. He is a decent bloke who I spoke to at the Forest Green game when he sat mainly unrecognised in the Upper Findus.

However, must say Lincoln have started using the dambusters theme and to be fair their younger element really get this ringing out at all home games as the game starts. Whereas BP is dead at kick off.

Suppose when i went in the Ponny we were in there at least half an hour before kick off and were singing with the crecendo coming as players came on. Now ground is empty five minutes before kick off.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 31, 2014, 2:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Ginny  like you I, as you would expect living here, know many Lincoln fans and you are right that after the initial disbelief at Moyes' appointment they are now right behind him for two reasons. Most importantly, he has introduced a more attacking approach and taken the Hurst like handcuffs off and second he is a local lad and well known throughout the City so there is that extra incentive for him to succeed. He is a decent bloke who I spoke to at the Forest Green game when he sat mainly unrecognised in the Upper Findus.

However, must say Lincoln have started using the dambusters theme and to be fair their younger element really get this ringing out at all home games as the game starts. Whereas BP is dead at kick off.

Suppose when i went in the Ponny we were in there at least half an hour before kick off and were singing with the crecendo coming as players came on. Now ground is empty five minutes before kick off.

Good points.

Of course though, away fans pay at the gate and tend to arrive early so need to amuse themselves and keep warm while home fans at BP tend to be season ticket holders. With small gates and a favourite seat guaranteed there's no reason to freeze by coming too early.

Posted by: Helgy, December 31, 2014, 4:49pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Police in the concourse also gobbing off in the away end didn't help but yes we respected the minutes silence as all fans should do.

Posted by: Helgy, December 31, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

It was well received by those that know him but the majority of Lincoln fans were very negative towards the appointment, plenty of humble pie being eaten right now.
The reason our fans are more vocal is the 617 Sqn lads done a cracking job the last 2 seasons in creating an atmosphere, they have their own section at home games and it's none stop from them at all games.
So it's not just how successful you are because they have vocally supported the team even when we were dreadful.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 31, 2014, 5:51pm; Reply: 38
Bright attacking football and goals = Atmosphere

Simple.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:51am