Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, December 29, 2014, 4:33pm
Paul Hursts teams never cope with bully boy tactics as deployed by Lincoln again.
We don't have the power needed to take these types of teams on and until we do we will stay where we are
Posted by: DocTower, December 29, 2014, 4:42pm; Reply: 1
Is this why we struggle against these so called lesser teams . Although Forest Green were huge we managed somehow to win that one , but yes we can't cope and teams know it .
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, December 29, 2014, 4:53pm; Reply: 2
Halifax
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 29, 2014, 5:03pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Halifax

Yeap, even worse than Lincoln IMO
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 29, 2014, 5:33pm; Reply: 4
Dunno who is worse, Halifax or Lincoln... it's a shame football doesn't win out at this level, in some ways the conference is like a 5th division of the football league, in others it seems to resemble Sunday league football...
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 29, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 5
If you guys think Lincoln were over the top dirt wise you really need
to watch more lower league football. Lincoln sides of the past have been a bunch of utter thugs. Not on Sunday though. They just fought harder and with more desire than us.
Just because we don't have a physical presence or any robust leadership, don't cry like a bunch of girls.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 29, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Civvy at last
to watch more lower league football. Lincoln sides of the past have been a bunch of utter thugs. Not on Sunday though. They just fought harder and with more desire than us.
Just because we don't have a physical presence or any robust leadership, don't cry like a bunch of girls.

I wasn't at the game this season, but was last season, and to be fair I don't mind physical presence but some of their tackles were out of order, I'm all for a physical game without breaking legs would be good... and there's a good video of Halifax's tactics out there somewhere, a match where they didn't even appear to be trying to win the ball. believe me I'm not coming from an angle where I want football to be like Spanish football with people going over with a yelp from a shoulder barge, but there's a balance to be sought IMO.
Posted by: BIGChris, December 29, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 7
Halifax were far more direct and physical than Lincoln and in general there is far more football played in the conference than in the past.
Back in the 70's The Krays would have been too genteel for this level ;)
Posted by: mariner91, December 29, 2014, 6:06pm; Reply: 8
Lincoln weren't overly dirty yesterday like they have been in the past. They were direct, strong and quick and outmuscled us a lot but within the limits of the rules. They were just better on the day in general.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 29, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Civvy at last

The straight red card count for them last season spoke for themselves!
Posted by: TAGG, December 29, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 10
I don't know if you went to the game but Lincoln wanting to win more than we did, they got to the loose ball far quicker than us and were in to the tackle a lot better than us if you want to boil this down to being bullies then ok but I call it a will to win a football match and well done Lincoln for that and shame on you Town players.
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 29, 2014, 6:24pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

The straight red card count for them last season spoke for themselves!

The key word there is LAST. Or are you actually incapable of moving with the times.
Perhaps PH should just look at last seasons video clips to prepare.  FFS
Posted by: barralad, December 29, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 12
Apart from the rather clever "tackle" on Magnay early on I cannot remember another dodgy tackle in the whole game....
Posted by: mariner91, December 29, 2014, 6:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from barralad
Apart from the rather clever "tackle" on Magnay early on I cannot remember another dodgy tackle in the whole game....

Oh yeah forgot about that one. Typical Tomlinson though, he is a grade A pr1ck.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 29, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from mariner91

Oh yeah forgot about that one. Typical Tomlinson though, he is a grade A pr1ck.

At least the ref saw sense with a yellow card after he'd committed his sixth dodgy challenge ...
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 29, 2014, 7:37pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Paul Hursts teams never cope with bully boy tactics as deployed by Lincoln again.
We don't have the power needed to take these types of teams on and until we do we will stay where we are

Hate to say it but just over a month ago PH had it right with his 451 / 433 formation !!! Why he changed back to 442 i'll never know? :-/
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, December 29, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 16
I wasn't condemning Lincoln, just pointing out our inability to cope with this type of power play.
We don't seem hungry enough when the meat is raw
Posted by: oldun, December 29, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 17
Not much wrong with the way Lincoln played yesterday, nowhere near the thuggish style of last season. They were strong, worked hard and attacked in numbers with pace. They defended in numbers too and put their bodies on the line. We found it difficult to cope with it. Having said that up to 40 mins we looked to be on top.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, December 29, 2014, 8:08pm; Reply: 18
Brown from the start of the season would have bossed that midfield. That and the changes in defence due to suspension and injury is what lost us the match.  These things an and should be fixed, it just needs to happen fast!
Posted by: barralad, December 29, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 19
The Lincoln fans are collectively pi**ing themselves at this thread. I can't say I blame them. Embarrassing....
Posted by: forza ivano, December 29, 2014, 8:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from oldun
Not much wrong with the way Lincoln played yesterday, nowhere near the thuggish style of last season. They were strong, worked hard and attacked in numbers with pace. They defended in numbers too and put their bodies on the line. We found it difficult to cope with it. Having said that up to 40 mins we looked to be on top.

This
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 29, 2014, 10:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from barralad
The Lincoln fans are collectively pi**ing themselves at this thread. I can't say I blame them. Embarrassing....

Lincoln fans are always pissing themselves Barra, it's just this time they can have a giggle while they tinkle.
Posted by: Neilo83, December 30, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 22
Delete this thread admin ffs, it's making us look even more of a laughing stock.. If u can't beat them, join them..
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 30, 2014, 1:37pm; Reply: 23
Jesus wept!  Waaah waaaah the bigger boys did this to us....

The better team on the day won it.  Part of their game play was a high intensity tempo with a 100% desire to win every second ball.

Can we please stop these pathetic attempts at excuses?  We were well beaten.  End of.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, December 30, 2014, 2:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from diehardmariner
Jesus wept!  Waaah waaaah the bigger boys did this to us....

The better team on the day won it.  Part of their game play was a high intensity tempo with a 100% desire to win every second ball.

Can we please stop these pathetic attempts at excuses?  We were well beaten.  End of.

I think most of us agree with you. Merely pointing out that we don't have it in our armoury and that until we do, we will not succeed at this level
Posted by: Garth, December 30, 2014, 2:47pm; Reply: 25
Up to ten minutes before the break we controlled things, two quick goals and an all out endeavour after the break by us to score at least one goal back left the door wide open and sh1t happens.

This does not make Lincoln promotion favourites or us middle table losers, on the day they just about deserved it---now I broke my keyboard typing that ??)
Posted by: fiveallive, December 30, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 26
Having Hamish Watson i would have with John-Lewis and Watson up front so we can go route one on occasions and and be stronger in the air they are both fit stronger lads.
Posted by: Jaws, December 30, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 27
Perhaps we should be a bit more street-wise and adopt traditional Lincoln tactics when a game is getting away from us?
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 30, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from fiveallive
Having Hamish Watson i would have with John-Lewis and Watson up front so we can go route one on occasions and and be stronger in the air they are both fit stronger lads.

If we are to use the long ball up to Lewis,

Why not have Watson up there as well,

Two heads are better than one, :)

Plus Hamish has an eye for goal,

Go on Hursty, try it on Thursday.
Posted by: ackomariner, December 30, 2014, 5:51pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from grimsby pete

If we are to use the long ball up to Lewis,

Why not have Watson up there as well,

Two heads are better than one, :)

Plus Hamish has an eye for goal,

Go on Hursty, try it on Thursday.

If we are to use the long ball.......been doing it all season Pete. Pitman wins more headers than LJL anyway.....
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 30, 2014, 7:29pm; Reply: 30
For gods sake! This post is so lame, Lincoln won the game fair and square if anything they had two half decent shouts for a penno turned down. They certainly did not rough us up, Talk about sour grapes the reason we lost is we did not want the win bad enough to many players bottled it for one reason or another.
Posted by: Maringer, December 30, 2014, 8:06pm; Reply: 31
Eh? Decent penalty shouts? Are you serious?

There were a couple of incidences where they whacked the ball at one of our players from point blank range and then attempted to claim a penalty, but until now I didn't think anybody in the ground took these the slightest bit seriously.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), December 30, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 32
Ridiculous. Lincoln were not dirty, neither were they particularly physical. They won fair n square.
Posted by: Maringer, December 30, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 33
Agreed.

We didn't play well enough (especially defensively) and so didn't deal with Lincoln's up and at 'em style on the day. Halifax and, to some degree, FGR played in a similar style, but we defended well in both of those games and had enough players on form to get the results. Lincoln were nothing like as dirty as in recent seasons and were much improved because they were trying to play football instead of just kicking chunks out of us.

Still think Lincoln should have been buried before half-time but we fluffed a few really good opportunities with poor crosses and were made to pay.

Hopefully that result will give us the kick up the backside required and we can concentrate on making sure that we don't have a Lincolnshire derby to play next season.
Posted by: Neilo83, December 31, 2014, 10:13am; Reply: 34
They played a derby game how a derby game should be played, our spineless bunch of girl privates didn't, end of!
Posted by: DocTower, December 31, 2014, 10:22am; Reply: 35
Derby game , they knew our main constructive players , the early hit come tackle on  Neilson  was meant , job done for them . Street wise at this level .
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:15am