Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 29, 2014, 12:48am
The last 10 games, we have the same record as Barnet:

Won: 6, Lost: 2, Drawn: 2

I'm sure there aren't calls for Barnet to sack their manager.

Automatic promotion still not out of sight, and personally I'm confident we can beat the other play-off contenders over two-legs.

Onwards and upwards, frustrating as today evidentally was. Macclesfield on Thursday. C'mon Town.
Posted by: LH, December 29, 2014, 12:49am; Reply: 1
All well and good matching them but we need to better their record.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 29, 2014, 12:52am; Reply: 2
Quoted from LH
All well and good matching them but we need to better their record.

Absolutely. But it was more to make the point that this form does not, in my opinion, constitute even thinking about changing a manager or losing faith. It needs to be better for the top-spot. But in perspective, we are getting the results for a decent form and are in the play-off spots and will be come May.
Posted by: DocTower, December 29, 2014, 7:18am; Reply: 3
Results game , yes , but it's the manner of the results . Grinding out 1-0 s , hoof ball , players not turning up .  Like someone posted about the lack of atmosphere , give the crowd some excitement to shout about . If your not entertained you're going to look elsewhere . At least Barnet score goals , shame about their location  because they will never get good crowds .

Next couple of games will sort or real position and potential .
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 29, 2014, 1:40pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MarinerWY
The last 10 games, we have the same record as Barnet:

Won: 6, Lost: 2, Drawn: 2

I'm sure there aren't calls for Barnet to sack their manager.

Automatic promotion still not out of sight, and personally I'm confident we can beat the other play-off contenders over two-legs.

Onwards and upwards, frustrating as today evidentally was. Macclesfield on Thursday. C'mon Town.

Probably because they are 7 points ahead of the second placed team and 12 points ahead of us.

Really? I haven't checked the last 10 results as I cannot be arsed but if you are right and we have the exact same record then we have gained, hold on let me work this out, it will come to me in a minute, ah yes nil points over 10 games so to catch up the 12 points on Barnet we need to to better them by, oh bollox I can't be bothered to work that out.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, December 29, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 5

Automatic promotion still not out of sight, and personally I'm confident we can beat the other play-off contenders over two legs .[/quote]

More importantly are we capable of beating a playoff contender over 90 minutes in the final
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 29, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Automatic promotion still not out of sight, and personally I'm confident we can beat the other play-off contenders over two legs .

More importantly are we capable of beating a playoff contender over 90 minutes in the final [/quote]

we got got out fought by a mid table side yesterday coached by a gas mains layer who to be fair to him got the tactics right and motivated his team
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 30, 2014, 8:07am; Reply: 7
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Quoted Text
More importantly are we capable of beating a playoff contender over 90 minutes in the final

we got got out fought by a mid table side yesterday coached by a gas mains layer who to be fair to him got the tactics right and motivated his team

And two days before that we also beat one of the other main play-off contenders...
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 30, 2014, 12:38pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from MarinerWY

And two days before that we also beat one of the other main play-off contenders...[/quote]

Do you think our home record is good enough for us to get to a play off final and should we limit the attendance to say 3,500, you know to take out that big crowd syndrome our players have.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 30, 2014, 12:45pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Marinerz93

should we limit the attendance to say 3,500, you know to take out that big crowd syndrome our players have.

The results against Southport and Altrincham suggest we also have a small crowd syndrome ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 30, 2014, 1:24pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MarinerWY

And two days before that we also beat one of the other main play-off contenders...[/quote]

By playing the same tactics as the gas mains layer? It works, if you are away from home the onus is on the home side to perform and if they struggle a bit they get frustrated and you tend to get a bit more room for the breakaways. It will be interesting to see what happens against Macc on the back of their two losses. If they come with gas mains layer tactics I fear we won't have the nous to combat it.

Posted by: WokingMariner, December 30, 2014, 1:28pm; Reply: 11
We are 4/1 for promotion (third favourites) which means there's a 1 in 5 chance we will go up, better odds than rolling a dice and needing a 6.
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 30, 2014, 1:40pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Abdul19

The results against Southport and Altrincham suggest we also have a small crowd syndrome ;)

Ouch  ;D
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, December 30, 2014, 2:06pm; Reply: 13
We win... everyone happy
We lose...everyone unhappy

That's football

When you look at things from a neutral point of view it's amazing what you see - I saw Hull batter Leicester on Sunday on MOTD and they just couldn't score; I would say they were very unlucky; calls for Bruce to be sacked on RH are utterly ridiculous

I wouldn't say we battered Lincoln, far from it, but we had enough chances to score goals. Because we are not neutral when it comes to GTFC we all get really hacked off, fed up and lash out.

Fine lines and all that....

Never thought we'd win the league (as from about end September) and for that reason will be delighted with a play off place based on squad we have, particularly lack of goals.

As Hurst said the other day there will be several very good Conference sides not getting in play offs in what is a very competitive year.
So to match what the leaders are doing over 10 games is not good enough for a title challenge but very good for a play off place.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, December 30, 2014, 2:20pm; Reply: 14
Taken from GT...if true!

"But the home form continues to be inconsistent and is the reason why the Mariners are behind Barnet in the table. Seven wins from 14 home matches isn't great going – and take out the seven goals against Alfreton and we've netted just 16 from 13 matches, not enough to win matches."

I honestly believe that for a non league team we have a pretty decent side but for the goal scoring/strikers... see above and I rest my case
Back 5 as good as any (if not the best) in league; midfield/wide men are better as a group than last season; front players - no predators/natural goalscorers (Hannah OK, but he's not a great footballer IMO and that's why he doesn't get in).

Allowing for the fact Pittman had a very good game (apart from finishing) v Lincoln I'd be tempted to start with Watson v Macc. Why not? The lad has a great goal scoring record and he might be the natural scorer who changes our season around.
He can't contribute much less than others apart from LJL
Posted by: Garth, December 30, 2014, 2:35pm; Reply: 15
No idea what he`s like in training but time methinks to start Watson with the shop or if injured  Pitman and see how it goes,
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:52am