Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 75 (Guest), December 26, 2014, 11:01pm
Nathan Arnold, started well despite having half the season off. He's declined ever since he got into the side after a bright start. Macreth despite his goal that most of us would be happy to tuck away has been excrement all season. Is he even as quick as he's supposed to be? I don't see it.

Pittman was useless today, as he was last week. He needs a proper kick up the bottom. Why sign Hamish Watson if he isn't given a chance? Appreciate he isn't up to 90 minutes but surely he can contribute 20 minutes instead of the waste of space that is JP Pittman, who I think should urine this level. What about the winger we signed on loan, (Walker) played at Boston, banged a hat trick in then he hasn't been near the squad? Why bother signing him?

Walker, if you're reading this, bang on Hurst's door tomorrow morning and ask what you can do, and why he's signed you.

Yes, we won today but we were very poor. Don't bury your head in the sand, it isn't good enough. This club should have one aspiration this season, Barnet lost 6-2 at home in their daft game. Only wish we had too.

Apologies for the spelling of the title, off to bed after my cheesy growler. UTM.
Posted by: davmariner, December 26, 2014, 11:23pm; Reply: 1
Appreciate your point of view Vicar you're obviously entitled to it and think you have valid concerns.

In a nutshell, my view is that this is non league football and we need to take it at face value. The standard isn't going to be brilliant, but as Luton demonstrated last year, you can get by in this league by being strong and effective and not necessarily be that brilliant at 'football' - non of the teams in this league are.

No disrespect to Hurst, but we have to consider him in this context also. Hurst isn't perfect, he's a young non league manager, but does have his aspects that he is very good at, such as winning away from home. Think what we now have to do is utilise our squad, we have for the first time in a long time, strength in depth and I believe that we have to use it.
Posted by: grimps, December 26, 2014, 11:36pm; Reply: 2
I thought Hurst made a good move with the substution today bringing Pitman off , That seemed to stop their good spell in the second half
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 27, 2014, 9:00am; Reply: 3
Given the time of year and the opposition 3 points is all we can ask .......... maybe. A team is only as good as its last game and all that.

But I have to agree with Vicar. The team that will win this league is the team that has a bit of class in the second half of the season. Grinding out results at somewhere like Macc is good, nobody denies that. I think Lincoln may be a better test of how good we really are though because they are a side we should see off comfortably by passing them off the park.

January, we need an injection of pace and finishing ability straight into the first team and a change from the safety first tactics especially against lower sides. The manager insists that forwards are the first line of defence and cover acres of ground when the other side have the ball. That is one reason why the wingers must be less pacy and effective going forward and Neilson is perpetually benched.  Arnold is probably knackered. What Walker and Hamish are doing in the squad only Hurst knows but their wages could be better spent.

What Hurst is doing is playing the percentages and that might be good enough to get us into the playoff lottery but it won't win the title unless we start to kill off the Telfords and Lincolns with more attacking play. We have to look realistically beyond these good 3 points today. We could do it with a bit more ambition and nerve from the management.
Posted by: northbankmariner, December 27, 2014, 9:18am; Reply: 4
The thread title says underachieving mariners. I am just not sure in what way ate we underachieving? We are solidly in the play off slots with a chance to go second if we win our game in hand. Still in the trophy, it took a club from a higher division to knock is out if the cup, we have one of the top scorers in the league and the meanest defence. And some call this underachieving. Am beginning to think expectation levels though rightly high are getting a bit unrealistic. I agree the potential of this side is there for all to see and I  equally frustrated at us dropping points against the so called lesser teams, but honestly I am well happy with things right now. And think my fellow fishies should be too. I don't think many people on here predicted Barnet to be flying this season in the pre season predictions threads so that aside we are right there in the mix ( again, and it is might I ad for the third season running) that is showing consistency. I don't think the players and manager are under achieving at all. The team we have have out performed 23  of the other 24 teams in this league so far over half of the season. We would all like to see improvement in the team by adding pace and skill but we do not give enough credit to the players we already have. Keep up the good work town and hopefully one day you will get your rewards. UTM
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, December 27, 2014, 9:35am; Reply: 5
That was Macclesfields first home defeat of the season , , , give Town some credit
Posted by: BIGChris, December 27, 2014, 10:08am; Reply: 6
I havent checked Jocks stats but assume they are correct.

Last 11 games, won 8 , drew 2 and lost 1. Some under achievement that!

I would be surprised if many sides in the country have a better record tbh
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 27, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 7
I don't usually comment on threads like this as they make my urine boil, but to all those with a reaction to BP vicar's original post, surely you know by now there's always one poster/thread that takes the shine out of the win by posting utter drivel on here!

Like jock said, 8wins, 2 draws and 1 loss out of 11 games, if we did that every 11 games, whether we put in a good performance or not, that'll be promotion form.

Then I'll be having that pint of rather expensive ale off BP vicar as mentioned in another thread! ;)

UTM!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), December 27, 2014, 10:27am; Reply: 8
Blimey, I was a misery bottom last night!!

It wasn't a great game, I thought both sides were poor yesterday. But the conditions weren't great and we dug in so the players deserve credit. Looking forward to tomorrow's game at BP and hopefully a win.

UTM
Posted by: sonik, December 27, 2014, 12:47pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 75

It wasn't a great game, I thought both sides were poor yesterday. But the conditions weren't great and we dug in so the players deserve credit. Looking forward to tomorrow's game at BP and hopefully a win.

UTM

Chill pill Jase? LOL!

utm!
Posted by: Neilo83, December 27, 2014, 12:48pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 75

UTM

That damn home brew!

Posted by: BottesfordMariner, December 27, 2014, 2:10pm; Reply: 11
i think the OP has been overly crictical but Vicar has had time to reflect.

Hurst said himself it wasnt the greatest team performance ever but.....we won away to a promotion contender, kept a clean sheet, inflicted Macc's 1st home defeat of the season. Not a bad sign if we can beat the likes of them without playing well.We're on a decent run of results at the moment. I'm not Hurst biggest fan but some give some credit when its due. Just need to follow up it against the Gimps and the return fixture with Macclesfield and beyond.

Can we be better? yes of course we can. There's is room for improvement.

As for individual players lets look at Hurst signings so far. For me more of his signings come off than those who dont work out.Arnold got off to a slow start after his injury but looks a real player. Maybe a little inconsistent (probably why he;s in the Conference) but on his day an exciting player with an eye for goal.

Yes Mackreth , has probably not done as well as i had hoped, but is certainly not shite. I expect to see more from him. Perhaps yesterdays goal will give him a confidence boost.

Magnay. Player of the Season for me. Very consistent wherever he's asked to play. A top drawer signing.

Toto. Had one of two dodgy games early on. Looks too casual at times but recently has been much much better.

Clay. Got slated when he first joined then quickly won over  the doubters with some great displays. Has been somewhat unlucky to have lost his place but the team is doing well so its hard to get back in. Thats exactly what we want, competition for places. Its great to have someone with Clays's quality in reserve if needed and Dis and Brown know they need to perform to keep their place.

Brown. A good player no doubt. Good passer, gets stuck in, a big improvement on the likes of Kerr, Niven etc.

Pittman. Sounds like not his best game yesterday but he has started to develop a decent partnership with the Shop.Imo he has a lot of quality. I think he has been a very good signing maybe only held back by a few niggling injuries.

Parslow. Another dependable guy who can fill in several positions.

So overall none of the signings have been bad imo. A couple have yet to reach the heights we maybe had hoped but most have made major contributions to the season so far.

I cant comment on Watson or Nicky Walker as i havent seen them play enough. But again if the team is getting results why change it.  

Personally i would like to see a few of the 'fringe' players get a game in the Trophy. I am not saying throw the tie but maybe rest a couple and see what the others can do in a competitive match.

Posted by: rancido, December 27, 2014, 3:47pm; Reply: 12
If it hadn't been for the slow start of the season due to injuries/suspensions then things would be looking much better now. I know it's all " ifs and buts " but those 6 points lost at the beginning of the season would have made a huge difference to our standing and confidence.
Posted by: ackomariner, December 27, 2014, 5:52pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from sonik

Chill pill Jase? LOL!

utm!

Your brother got any happy pills left to give him  :P
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 28, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 14
Maybe Vicar was right first time?
Posted by: davmariner, December 28, 2014, 7:05pm; Reply: 15
I think I need some bloody happy pills after today.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), December 28, 2014, 9:26pm; Reply: 16
Wrong?
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:47pm