Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, December 11, 2014, 9:20pm
Anyone else just listen ended to the very moving piece on Sid wheelhouse, the gtfc captain who died in the First World War?
The club, for once, sounded like they had  done 'the right thing' and came out of it very well.
Wouldn't it be nice if the club could show a bit of imagination and have a dignified memorial to wheelhouse and the other players who have died on active service at the new Fentydome?
Posted by: Abdul19, December 11, 2014, 9:51pm; Reply: 1
Yes I caught it on the way home, an excellent bit of radio. I'll go back and listen to the whole show later I think.

Link here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04svgl9 (I think it's about 40 minutes in)
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, December 11, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 2
I would like a stand named after him
WWI hero - died at The Somme - former GTFC captain...no brainer IMO

It would be a really classy thing for the club to do and keeps the history of our great club alive for future generations
Posted by: sutton mariner, December 12, 2014, 12:21am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Stevie Saunders
I would like a stand named after him
WWI hero - died at The Somme - former GTFC captain...no brainer IMO

It would be a really classy thing for the club to do and keeps the history of our great club alive for future generations

This 100%.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 12, 2014, 11:48am; Reply: 4
It might take the Club another 100 years to name a stand after him  (or at the new ground, which ever comes first).
Posted by: Garth, December 12, 2014, 11:51am; Reply: 5
Very moving account regarding one of our past club captains, RIP Sid
Posted by: Marinerz93, December 12, 2014, 6:55pm; Reply: 6
A great piece on Sid and as others have said very moving, I also agree that Sid deserves a special mention at the new ground.

Shona McIssac did a great piece on Sid some years ago after she visited Sid grave but I can't find a link to it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 12, 2014, 8:06pm; Reply: 7
Very moving bit of radio on Sid and his family, i have just come across this short clip -

http://vimeo.com/90861650
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 5:20am