Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, December 1, 2014, 4:40pm
With a few weeks without league game and hopefully Hurst able to watch some potential Targets? where do we need to strengthen in Jan and who would you expect we ship out in that period if any.  
Starter for 10 from me
In's a Striker with a good scoring record (if one available).
Outs Paddy just don't see where he fits in and Bignot long way down pecking order.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 1, 2014, 5:17pm; Reply: 1
Still think Hannah, Neilson  and Biggy will move on , hope i'm wrong
Posted by: Youngy, December 1, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 2
Think if we sign another striker, Hannah will make way. Only 6 months left on his contract, not sure he'll be renewed and might want to look elsewhere to secure his future
Posted by: DocTower, December 1, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 3
Unfortunately I believe Hannah Nielson Bignot and Paddy might leave for pastures new . Dropping players for no reason or reasons only known to the manager would only make a players decision to leave much easier .
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 1, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from DocTower
Unfortunately I believe Hannah Nielson Bignot and Paddy might leave for pastures new . Dropping players for no reason or reasons only known to the manager would only make a players decision to leave much easier .

Good call on  Nielson . He will go back down Sarf  perhaps??
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 1, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from DocTower

Agree with the above, we do not need,

Bignot because we have Walker,

Paddy  because Hurst wont play him,

Neilson if Nicky is up to it,

Hannah if we sign that striker.
Posted by: jimgtfc, December 1, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 6
The thing with Bignot is he'll be sat on a decent contract here and what club would take him on a similar deal? I'd imagine a lower conference team might want him but on lesser terms. This might be the last decent pro contract he gets so why not sit on it till the end of the season.

I think teams will be interested in Hannah though, maybe a Macclesfield or a Halifax or someone similar on a loan deal perhaps. But only if we get someone in decent first.

Similar with Paddy, I imagine teams will be interested if he's available. Personally I'd have him involved with the squad but I think he might be surplus to Hurst's requirements. Maybe Gateshead? Played up there with Newcastle and played under Gary Mills at York?
Posted by: mariner91, December 1, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 7
I'd be very surprised to see Neilson leave. Why would we let him?
Posted by: mariner tommy, December 1, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jimgtfc
The thing with Bignot is he'll be sat on a decent contract here and what club would take him on a similar deal? I'd imagine a lower conference team might want him but on lesser terms. This might be the last decent pro contract he gets so why not sit on it till the end of the season.

I think teams will be interested in Hannah though, maybe a Macclesfield or a Halifax or someone similar on a loan deal perhaps. But only if we get someone in decent first.

Similar with Paddy, I imagine teams will be interested if he's available. Personally I'd have him involved with the squad but I think he might be surplus to Hurst's requirements. Maybe Gateshead? Played up there with Newcastle and played under Gary Mills at York?

No player will wait until the end of the season to see his contract out, when there are hundreds of players looking for clubs. It's just too much of a lottery.
If any of the above mentioned players got an offer of 15 months from January there is no doubt they will take it, especially if it were a full time contract they got offered.

UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, December 1, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from mariner91

Exactly.

I suppose Hannah and Bignot are obvious candidates, but both were unused subs on Saturday so it's not like they've got no chance of playing. I doubt anyone will take their wages either?
Posted by: pontoonlew, December 1, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 10
If anybody would happily see Neilson leave they need there flipping head testing.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 1, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pontoonlew
If anybody would happily see Neilson leave they need there flipping head testing.

Says plenty about PH that he'll happily leave our most creative player on the bench. Should be playing behind LJL and JP with Paddy, Brown and Clay behind him. Isn't that about the front line that destroyed Gateshead?
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 1, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 12
I dont think anyone would be Happy to see Scott leave  . I just have a feeling thats all
Posted by: rancido, December 1, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Says plenty about PH that he'll happily leave our most creative player on the bench. Should be playing behind LJL and JP with Paddy, Brown and Clay behind him. Isn't that about the front line that destroyed Gateshead?

I agree he is our most creative player but he does " blow hot and cold " a lot. His other big failing is that he thinks he can do it all on his own instead of using the players around him. He constantly goes on these amazing runs, draws three defenders towards him and then thinks he can beat them instead of playing off any supporting players.
Posted by: northbankmariner, December 1, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 14
Do not think any senior players will be allowed to leave, only maybe bignot at a push. As the season goes on more injuries and suspensions will occur and good back up is needed. Would depend on who we could recruit if Hannah was lost. Just a quick shout out, Luke Rogers left forest green today. Ok he is 32 but unless I am mistaken he has a half reasonable record up front, probably more goals in him than Hannah? I do think some youngsters need game time, walker, humble etc and would like to see them go out in loan to the likes of Gainsborough/north ferriby or Boston if they are deemed good enough. But wholesale changes are not needed, am happy with current personnel just not maybe the tactics and formation.
Posted by: mariner91, December 1, 2014, 8:07pm; Reply: 15
If Parslow stays for the season or w sign him I wouldn't mind seeing Bignot leave. If we can replace Hannah with someone good, I wouldn't care if he left, I would actually make this a priority, we need another striker.I think JPP is capable of tearing this league apart after a run of games it's just getting him fit all the time and we can't rely on that. But otherwise the squad is okay.
Posted by: Mariners_15, December 1, 2014, 8:08pm; Reply: 16
Paddy deserves his fair chance.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, December 1, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 17
Who are these comedians who think Scotty will leave. Lets keep him and let Paddy, Bignot and Hannah leave. Bring in another striker.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 1, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 18
Not Comedians , just concerned supporters
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 1, 2014, 8:33pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mariner91

We wouldn't, Hurst might.
Posted by: mariner91, December 1, 2014, 8:39pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

We wouldn't, Hurst might.

This is a daft assumption to make. He has made 20 appearances this season, just because he doesn't start every game does not mean he is likely to be allowed to leave.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 1, 2014, 8:55pm; Reply: 21
Ignoring the 3 games he was suspended for, he's started 16 out of 21 league games - hardly conclusive proof that Hursts hates him!

(That's one more game than Disley, Hurst's lovechild ;))
Posted by: GrimRob, December 1, 2014, 9:05pm; Reply: 22
I don't expect mass changes in either direction. Most players will be happy to see their contracts out, there are not many non-league clubs bigger than us. PH will no doubt have his eye on a few loan prospects.
Posted by: chaos33, December 1, 2014, 9:32pm; Reply: 23
I had thought of lots of points I wanted to make, but, like with so much content on here nowadays, I just lost the will...

However, I did want to say that I am struck by how fickle and frivolous some fans can be. Some of the comments on Neilson especially (and others) are bewildering. And, there is a world of difference between players wanting to leave or go out on loan, and the club allowing that to happen. Its easy to oversimplify. I don't think some people would quite believe just how many loans and transfers almost happen and then don't, for a range of reasons.Sometimes players go out on loan or leave and they don't really want to.

Lots can happen before January. Injuries, suspensions, peaks or dips of form or favour.  Pretty pointless and shallow of some folk dismissing our own players so readily with a month before the window opens and a full Christmas programme to navigate.

Interesting that there's very little said on 'ins'.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, December 1, 2014, 10:00pm; Reply: 24
I just hope MacKreth's goal might have given him some confidence. Maybe he will now use his blistering pace to beat full backs and put a quality ball into the box. I think we play to his style (on the floor), and get the ball to him in the right areas.
Posted by: Garth, December 1, 2014, 10:18pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I just hope MacKreth's goal might have given him some confidence. Maybe he will now use his blistering pace to beat full backs and put a quality ball into the box. I think we play to his style (on the floor), and get the ball to him in the right areas.

Seen a lot of his markers faster than him this season ;D
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, December 1, 2014, 10:45pm; Reply: 26
I think Neillson is POTENTIALLY our most creative player but on too many occasions doesn't produce the goods
Hurst is (by and large) a damned good judge of a player and if he decides to let any of the above players go then I'll be OK with that
Can;t see Neillson going out on loan but certainly can see Hannah, Paddy and Bignot going out

Whatever, I think all 4 named will be gone during close season
Posted by: gary_elton, December 2, 2014, 1:16am; Reply: 27
Would be sorry to see Neilson go.... I hope it's just guesswork , and he stays at BP
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, December 2, 2014, 2:06am; Reply: 28
We could possibly swap Hannah for Stephanie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30284831
Posted by: Maringer, December 2, 2014, 7:25am; Reply: 29
Ins? A striker (or two) definitely, depending on how well Hamish does. We really don't have enough options amongst the strikers at present. Other than that, we've probably got enough attacking players now available (including the young winger on loan). Four options on the wing (5 if you include Paddy as a stop-gap wide player) is probably enough. Similarly, we've got 4 players who can play central midfield, with 5 if you count Parslow as a holding player.

If Parslow does sign permanently (something I'm a bit ambivalent about as he's OK, but hardly a world-beater), I can't see why we would really need Bignot any longer. He's only started a few games this season and is obviously well out of favour. I don't particularly dislike him (and don't think Parslow is any better at full-back), but you would perhaps expect him to move on, if he can secure a move elsewhere. Obviously this might depend a bit on whether Walker is ready to step up as cover and perhaps he'll get some chances in the Trophy to prove whether or not this is the case.

I'd be surprised to see Paddy leave at Christmas unless he pushes for a move away as he's shown he can do a decent enough job covering both the middle and on the left (including full-back at a real push). In the event that he did leave, we'd need a replacement. I can't see us trying to move Neilson on and I'm rather baffled that anybody thinks we would try to get rid of him. He's certainly got a huge amount of skill for this level and it is a real shame he's never been able to use it consistently enough. I suppose you'd have to say that he wouldn't be playing for us if he was able to consistently play near his best. Let's hope for a really good second half of the season from him as he has the potential to be one of the most dangerous players in the Conference.

This just leaves Hannah to consider. I can't fault his workrate (which I think is actually to the detriment of his goalscoring), but he really hasn't looked a threat much of the time following the purple patch of his loan period. Unfortunately, he's just not taken chances which have come his way often enough and I can think of a few this season which should have been buried and might have made a difference to some poor results. He missed two sitters in the second half against Torquay at BP, for example. Personally, I'd be happy enough for him to leave if it allowed us to bring in another striker - a smaller, nippy, type perhaps? If he would prefer to see out his contract, I'm sure he will continue to give his all when given the chance.

All in all, I doubt there will be much in the way of movement other than perhaps a striker (or two) coming in, perhaps on loan initially?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 2, 2014, 7:34am; Reply: 30
I'd like to see a Hearn type player come in. Not easy to acquire but think we need more firepower if we are to threaten the top spot.

As for Neilson. He may not play every minute of every game, but is the one player at Town who can get me out of my seat. His inconsistency is the reason he's in the Conference. Think it's speculation that he is on the way out as on his day he can cause havoc and will come good again.

Don't know what the problem is with Paddy, but Hurst clearly doesn't rate him. Shame, as i had high hopes for him.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 2, 2014, 7:54am; Reply: 31
The thoughts on Neilson are just pure speculation based on Gut feelings . I can now see how newspapers manage to keep people fooled !!!  ??)
Posted by: barralad, December 2, 2014, 8:37am; Reply: 32
Quoted from ginnywings
I'd like to see a Hearn type player come in. Not easy to acquire but think we need more firepower if we are to threaten the top spot.

As for Neilson. He may not play every minute of every game, but is the one player at Town who can get me out of my seat. His inconsistency is the reason he's in the Conference. Think it's speculation that he is on the way out as on his day he can cause havoc and will come good again.

Don't know what the problem is with Paddy, but Hurst clearly doesn't rate him. Shame, as i had high hopes for him.

My feelings exactly. The speculation is often put around by people looking to berate Hurst yet again.

As far as the player is concerned I was extremely disappointed with his showing on Saturday-especially as I was moaning before the game started that he should have got the nod over Mackreth. I didn't go to Gateshead but aside of Halifax away-where he was awesome in the first half-I can't think of too many games when he's lived up to his potential. I actually think that a fit JPP is our most creative player. He has great vision and the ability to make difficult things seem simple. If The Shop is going to get 20 goals this season it will be with him as his strike partner.
Posted by: chaos33, December 2, 2014, 8:39am; Reply: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete

Agree with the above, we do not need,

Bignot because we have Walker,

Paddy  because Hurst wont play him,

Neilson if Nicky is up to it,

Hannah if we sign that striker.

Do you really mean this re - Neilson Pete? Surely he is arguably one of the best, if not the best footballer in the conference?
Posted by: barralad, December 2, 2014, 8:53am; Reply: 34
Quoted from chaos33

Do you really mean this re - Neilson Pete? Surely he is arguably one of the best, if not the best footballer in the conference on his day?

Amended for the sake of veracity  ;)
Posted by: Rick12, December 2, 2014, 9:31am; Reply: 35
Quoted from fleabag1970
Still think Neilson   hope i'm wrong
Don't get to see Town play much due to study commitments and living down south but when I do some players immediately stand out.Neilson at the Barnet game last season away was quality and the best player on the park.Just hope he stays
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 2, 2014, 9:31am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Abdul19

Exactly.

I suppose Hannah and Bignot are obvious candidates, but both were unused subs on Saturday so it's not like they've got no chance of playing. I doubt anyone will take their wages either?

Hannah came on for JPP with 20 minutes to go.
Posted by: oldun, December 2, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 37
Neilson yes on his day is skilful and dangerous, but unfortunately his days don't happen often enough. He can be exciting and frustrating at the same time.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 2, 2014, 10:51am; Reply: 38
Quoted from chaos33

Do you really mean this re - Neilson Pete? Surely he is arguably one of the best, if not the best footballer in the conference?

I was stating what I thought Hurst  might do,

Not what I would do,

Hurst can not get the best out of Neilson because he wants him to defend as well as attack,

Alan Buckley once said of Dave Gilbert, " some people moan about Dave not defending enough, well I have other players to make tackles,

I want Dave to attack." or words to that effect,

I think Neilson is a match winner if played in the hole and given the freedom to attack either side,
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 2, 2014, 11:31am; Reply: 39
Why didnt Luton hang on to him ??
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 2, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 40
Quoted from fleabag1970

Maybe John Still thought the same about him as Hurst,

Yes a match winner on his day but too many games where he does very little,

Luton always had plenty of players to bring into the side if Scott was off his game.
Posted by: Rick12, December 2, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 41
Quoted from fleabag1970
Which is what I ask my self sometimes. Suprising as lasted just a season.Maybe when John Still came there  he didn't see enough personal qualities there eg character as I have read he values that over playing ability
Posted by: Maringer, December 2, 2014, 12:14pm; Reply: 42
If Neilson had the ability to play with his head up, seeing what was going on around him more often, he'd be a fantastic player with his close control and dribbling skills. Unfortunately, he doesn't have this aspect to his game, and I don't think that this is really something you can coach into a player though I'm sure a few have tried!

I just hope he finds some good form again soon as we could do with him scaring the opposition defenders a bit.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 2, 2014, 12:26pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from arryarryarry

Hannah came on for JPP with 20 minutes to go.

Oh right (understandable that I didn't notice), makes my point even more valid then!
Posted by: RichMariner, December 2, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 44
Controversial, I know, but I'm not really bothered if we don't sign anyone in January.

I believe we have a squad that is strong enough to win the title. Most of us feel it. That's why every dropped point, and every weekend we don't close the gap on Barnet, hurts.

For the last two years we've made what seemed like decent signings in January, and I'm struggling to think of just one that has made a positive difference.

What I'd like to see is Hurst get the best out of what he's got. He's able to identify and sign decent players, but that's no good if you can't get them to play to their potential.

So even if we did make an amazing Hearn-like signing in January, he'd end up playing wide in the 4-3-3 or sit on the bench. And I'm not sure where that would leave Hamish Watson.

I think the squad is big enough and good enough as it is. We're doing well - could be doing better - but I don't think the addition of new players is necessarily the answer.
Posted by: mariner91, December 2, 2014, 1:53pm; Reply: 45
I sort of agree with you Rich. For me, the most important part is can we keep Pittman fit? If we can, then I don't think we need new additions unless anyone goes out.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 2, 2014, 3:48pm; Reply: 46
Also Crawley Didnt Fancy him either  ( Nielson)  . Could it be that we are that starved of excitement during games that our views on Nielson had been clouded ?
Posted by: mariner91, December 2, 2014, 3:50pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from fleabag1970
Also Crawley Didnt Fancy him either  ( Nielson)  . Could it be that we are that starved of excitement during games that our views on Nielson had been clouded ?

That's not true. They only got rid of him when they were in L2 and challenging for promotion.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 2, 2014, 3:57pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from mariner91

That's not true. They only got rid of him when they were in L2 and challenging for promotion.

How many games did he play in League 2 for them ?
Posted by: Abdul19, December 2, 2014, 4:06pm; Reply: 49
11 starts and 19 off the bench for a side that went up.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 2, 2014, 4:10pm; Reply: 50
Not bad but not Great , and league 2 isnt that much different to the VC ?
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 2, 2014, 4:29pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from fleabag1970
Not bad but not Great , and league 2 isnt that much different to the VC ?

There was a big gap between us and Oxford.
Posted by: fleabag1970, December 2, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from arryarryarry

There was a big gap between us and Oxford.

We are Doomed then ........................................................
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, December 2, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 53
If were serious about winning this league well need another proven striker in as it's highly unlikely pitman will stay fit and we need real competition up front to keep the challenge going
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 12:26pm