Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), November 29, 2014, 8:36pm
Hurst has declared post match that he will be taking fa trophy serious and playing strongest team possible,he says that he wants to win it! ;D

Not happy with this! Barnet are running away with the league and hurst wants to chase a tin pot trophy no ones bothered about. :(
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 29, 2014, 8:37pm; Reply: 1
hardly gonna say i aren't taking it seriously is he?!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 29, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from 2578
Hurst has declared post match that he will be taking fa trophy serious and playing strongest team possible,he says that he wants to win it!

Not happy with this! Barnet are running away with the league and hurst wants to chase a tin pot trophy no ones bothered about.

Probably thinks it's his best chance of keeping his job ;)
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 29, 2014, 8:42pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 2578
Hurst has declared post match that he will be taking fa trophy serious and playing strongest team possible,he says that he wants to win it! ;D

Not happy with this! Barnet are running away with the league and hurst wants to chase a tin pot trophy no ones bothered about. :(

I'd quite like to win it. A trophy is a trophy. A trophy which is competed for nationally is fairly prestigious in my eyes and I'd welcome a trip to Wembley.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 29, 2014, 8:48pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I'd quite like to win it. A trophy is a trophy. A trophy which is competed for nationally is fairly prestigious in my eyes and I'd welcome a trip to Wembley.

Prestegious my bottom, it's a shiny doorstop for a club like Grimsby Town.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), November 29, 2014, 8:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Yeah it did us a lot of good last season with arguably a better team, our focus should be on winning this urine poor league that is there for the taking, play the fringe team or whatever they are called these days.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 29, 2014, 8:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from 2578

Yeah it did us a lot of good last season with arguably a better team, our focus should be on winning this urine poor league that is there for the taking, play the fringe team or whatever there called these days.

it didn't for cambridge either............
Posted by: GrimRob, November 29, 2014, 8:52pm; Reply: 7
I'll be gutted if he does take the competition seriously. It played a role in buggering up our last two seasons. We do what Hull did in the Europa Cup and field a weakened side.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 29, 2014, 8:57pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GrimRob
I'll be gutted if he does take the competition seriously. It played a role in buggering up our last two seasons. We do what Hull did in the Europa Cup and field a weakened side.

he should take it seriously to some degree, but i wouldn't be too bothered if we got knocked out, even if it was a team like coalville, maybe play some youth.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 29, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 2578

Yeah it did us a lot of good last season with arguably a better team, our focus should be on winning this urine poor league that is there for the taking, play the fringe team or whatever they are called these days.

Well, I'd enjoy the day out at Wembley if it came along. It didn't do us any harm winning the Football League Trophy in '98, it didn't do Cambridge any harm, nor York City a couple of seasons previously. Winning games breeds confidence and a winning mentality. We need that back at Blunder Park.

Everyone is whinging about Hurst, we're second in the league and his put his neck on the line and said he wants the Trophy as well. We're not conceding many goals, we've got one of the league's top scorers plus people like Disley and Nielson chipping in. Things are much brighter than people come on here and say. Barnet may well be running away with it but they've got to come to Blundell Park and get a result and we've still to go there. That's 6 points. Yes, today was disappointing but we've only lost one in ten which is bloody good going.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), November 29, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

maybe play some youth.[b][/b]

I wish he would, but he did say he will play a strong team.
I
Posted by: lee65, November 29, 2014, 9:10pm; Reply: 11
We have a big enough squad to at least take it seriously to some degree without playing a side that is very weak.  Since most people on here can't agree about our best 11, and the fact that we don't play competitive reserve games, surely means we could benefit from the Trophy. It could ensure those who've suffered in not playing recently (Paddy, Bignot, Hannah, plus give Hamish a run) can get valuable game time so they are ready when needed.
Also, I'm sure JF will not want to squander any chance of bringing some extra cash in, and may "suggest" this to PH
Posted by: GorgeousGeorge, November 30, 2014, 12:07am; Reply: 12
It's so comforting to know that he's taking the trophy serious yet it didn't really matter if we lost a league game.  Jeez, is this guy for real?
Posted by: Vance Warner, November 30, 2014, 12:14am; Reply: 13
Grimsby Town manager wants to win a game of football - disgraceful
Posted by: Tinymariner, November 30, 2014, 12:52am; Reply: 14
We haven't got a league game now until 19th December, we need to field our strongest team on 13th in the FA trophy game to keep them match fit, IMO. UTM
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 30, 2014, 8:27am; Reply: 15
Quoted from GrimRob

Is that the same Hull who are currently sitting 1 point off the bottom of their league?

I'm not saying we should be playing our strongest team but it's hardly done Hull any good so far this season has it.
Posted by: barralad, November 30, 2014, 8:41am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Tinymariner
We haven't got a league game now until 19th December, we need to field our strongest team on 13th in the FA trophy game to keep them match fit, IMO. UTM

Sound logic like this will see your reputation plummet-Be warned!  :)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 30, 2014, 8:59am; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

Sound logic like this will see your reputation plummet-Be warned!  :)

Far from it - Hurst also mentioned that we are playing Boston some time in a friendly.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, November 30, 2014, 9:15am; Reply: 18
He really needs to play fringe players/loan signings they need game time for when they are called upon.
Posted by: barralad, November 30, 2014, 9:27am; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Far from it - Hurst also mentioned that we are playing Boston some time in a friendly.

What better game to give the youngsters/fringe players a run out!
Posted by: easypeersy, November 30, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 20
We should field our strongest team every single match whether it be cup, league or friendly.
Plying time improves the team.
This is not a tin pot Trophy. It could net us £300,000 and a fantastic day out to London
Anyone who says otherwise is a complete muppet!!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 30, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from easypeersy
We should field our strongest team every single match whether it be cup, league or friendly.
Plying time improves the team.
This is not a tin pot Trophy. It could net us £300,000 and a fantastic day out to London
Anyone who says otherwise is a complete muppet!!!

Where did you get that figure from ?
Posted by: Abdul19, November 30, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 22
There was nothing fantastic about the last one. It was fucking freezing and we played well for about 30 seconds!
Posted by: ackomariner, November 30, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19
There was nothing fantastic about the last one. It was fucking freezing and we played well for about 30 seconds!

Whs
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 30, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 24
On the 13th we should make sure our kids get a game. We can't play anyone who is vital to our promotion ( Who'd risk Pearson, Magnay or Arnold for this tournament) push as we can't risk injuries/ suspensions that effect our league. So our reserve Keeper, back four of Bignot, Doig, Humble, Walker, Midfield of Mackreth, Winfarrah, Mclaughlin and the new loan winger, upfront Hannah and Hamish. Subs Pittmann (maybe worth some more game time) Clay (likewise) Bemrose any other kids that are there. Give Pearson, Shop, Mckeown, Toto, Arnold, Brown, Disley a break tell em to get some rest for the second half of the season.
Posted by: barralad, November 30, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from horsforthmariner
On the 13th we should make sure our kids get a game. We can't play anyone who is vital to our promotion ( Who'd risk Pearson, Magnay or Arnold for this tournament) push as we can't risk injuries/ suspensions that effect our league. So our reserve Keeper, back four of Bignot, Doig, Humble, Walker, Midfield of Mackreth, Winfarrah, Mclaughlin and the new loan winger, upfront Hannah and Hamish. Subs Pittmann (maybe worth some more game time) Clay (likewise) Bemrose any other kids that are there. Give Pearson, Shop, Mckeown, Toto, Arnold, Brown, Disley a break tell em to get some rest for the second half of the season.

I'd go along with that except that all of those-and more will be getting some rest on Saturday 6th. December!
Posted by: barralad, November 30, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Abdul19

I've never been so cold at a football match.... :-/
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 30, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from barralad

You didn't go to the FA Cup 2nd Round Replay at Halifax in December 1987 then. The pitch gradually turned white in front of your face as it became frozen whilst the game was going on and I still can't believe the game wasn't abandoned. We were stood in an open corner and we lost 2-0 to make things worse as well.
Posted by: barralad, November 30, 2014, 8:33pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Les Brechin

You didn't go to the FA Cup 2nd Round Replay at Halifax in December 1987 then. The pitch gradually turned white in front of your face as it became frozen whilst the game was going on and I still can't believe the game wasn't abandoned. We were stood in an open corner and we lost 2-0 to make things worse as well.

I skilfully avoided that Les! 8)
Posted by: easypeersy, November 30, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 29
To the guy asking where I got my figure from:
If a Wembley ticket costs £40 and 25,000 go then multiply those two then divide that by two is 500,000
For each team.
Plus the winners receive £50,000 (well they did in 2013)
Then there is a financial reward for each round you get to.
My earlier figure of it being worth £250,000 was very conservative.

I might be wrong, I don't know for sure but I reckon that's about right.

We need to go for it!!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 30, 2014, 10:23pm; Reply: 30
I think it's 40% each team with remaining 20% going to sepp blather and the fa
Posted by: easypeersy, November 30, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 31
We very nearly won that match at Wembley.
York City and Cambridge both won it and achieved promotion.
Saying it affects chances of promotion is horse excrement and just Another way to attack Paul Hurst.
Get behind your team in everything!!!
Posted by: rancido, December 1, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from barralad

There aren't many places colder than BP in January and February!
Posted by: barralad, December 1, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from rancido

There aren't many places colder than BP in January and February!

That day was hypothermia inducing. There were two youngsters on the row I was sat on carried out after fainting through the cold...
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 1, 2014, 2:21pm; Reply: 34
Not only was it freezing cold at Wembley, but we had to sit there for another 30 mins ET, plus penalties, plus breaks and then lose!   I was very well wrapped up and colder than most winter games at BP.  
Posted by: Saudimariner, December 1, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I think it's 40% each team with remaining 20% going to sepp blather and the fa

Perhaps if we gave a bit more to Sepp Blatter, we might just be given byes all the way to the final?  Just a thought.......
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 5:25pm