Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 26, 2014, 8:00am
Hurst is at odds with the Fans of which 800 stayed away last night . He went 442 and didnt seem happy about it ? . Could it be that he has been told to entertain the crowd and fill the seats ? 2600 certainly doesnt pay the bills . I actually think he is under pressure from all sides which is  a shame as we are 2nd in the league .
What if Hurst calls everyones Bluff and takes another job ? He doesnt seem overly happy atm . I shall watch with interest
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 8:16am; Reply: 1
Over 2,600 did turn up though.

800 = Exiles who can't make evening games; shift workers; Live football on TV; Christmas only a month away; parents with school aged children. Very few were anti Hurst and his tactics.

Bring on Telford.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 26, 2014, 8:19am; Reply: 2
So why is Hurst getting tetchy then ?  2600 is a poor crowd , down to the bare bones .
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 8:24am; Reply: 3
Quoted from fleabag1970
So why is Hurst getting tetchy then ?  2600 is a poor crowd , down to the bare bones .

Just like you: I have no idea why Hurst is getting tetchy, not sure he is to be honest. Obviously threads like this are not helping him or the cause though.

Yes the crowd was low, can not disagree there, but the reasons are plentiful, not 800 disillusioned fans all wanting a change in manager.

Posted by: fleabag1970, November 26, 2014, 8:31am; Reply: 4
I'm just asking questions thats all . I wouldnt want PH to leave the club
Posted by: Doubled, November 26, 2014, 8:36am; Reply: 5
Looking for a problem that doesn't exist here.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 8:38am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Doubled

Just an old Dog and a Fleabag having a scratch mate.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 26, 2014, 8:39am; Reply: 7
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts

Just like you: I have no idea why Hurst is getting tetchy, not sure he is to be honest. Obviously threads like this are not helping him or the cause though.

Yes the crowd was low, can not disagree there, but the reasons are plentiful, not 800 disillusioned fans all wanting a change in manager.

Did you listen to the interview ? sounded like a stroppy kid stamping his feet.

Of course there are multiple reasons for the low gate . The main one been saturdays performance .
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 8:46am; Reply: 8
Quoted from highcliff mariner

Of course there are multiple reasons for the low gate . The main one been saturdays performance .

Yes I did listen.

I think Paul sees the post game interview as an unwanted chore which he struggles with most days. He does not appear to be a natural, fluent speaker and this is highlighted by radio and it's instant/live broadcasting. A few private lessons with a good PR person might be the answer for our manager, it would certainly help.

Saturdays performance did sound poor, but we have all witnessed poor games at BP over the years, at least I have. It has never stopped me from going the next chance I've had.

Posted by: Trawler, November 26, 2014, 8:48am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Doubled

I don't think you can say that with any certainty.  It is not the interview of a man happy in his work.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 8:51am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Trawler

I don't think you can say that with any certainty.  It is not the interview of a man happy in his work.

You are reading between the lines, not listening to the music behind the words.

He does not like being interviewed, that's all.

Posted by: 3610 (Guest), November 26, 2014, 8:56am; Reply: 11

Macclesfield are unbeaten in 9 games- winning their last game. They also played at home on Saturday and last night like ourselves. Their attendance was down by 16percent. Ours was down by 22percent.

That's not accounting for number of away fans making a difference either.

Fans voting with their feet is a total non story and only pushed by people who have to try and come up with something to complain about even though we have just won and closed the gap on the leaders to 6 points.

Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 26, 2014, 9:04am; Reply: 12

Yes I did listen.

I think Paul sees the post game interview as an unwanted chore which he struggles with most days. He does not appear to be a natural, fluent speaker and this is highlighted by radio and it's instant/live broadcasting. A few private lessons with a good PR person might be the answer for our manager, it would certainly help.

Saturdays performance did sound poor, but we have all witnessed poor games at BP over the years, at least I have. It has never stopped me from going the next chance I've had.

Unwanted chore or not , its part of the job , he said we were ,if anything slightly better  last night . Slightly??

He insisted he never noticed any incident between the benches
. Well the rest of us did. He could ov said it was a bit of handbags but insists nothing happened , now i dont really care what happened but to insist otherwise ? JT sounded gobsmacked .(and said so after)
Saturdays performance poor? Understatement ;; its was Dogshit (no offence) and its why i almost stopped at home and watched Deadenders .
Posted by: carp catcher, November 26, 2014, 9:12am; Reply: 13
Are all the moaners the same ones who moaned about Buckleys pr or Slades tatics.i think it's just an excuse not to put there hands in there pockets and support the team.they have a platform on here to air there negative views.
People need to get a grip were 2nd in league.ffs we could be in Lincolns position so get a grip
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 9:14am; Reply: 14

Unwanted chore or not , its part of the job , he said we were ,if anything slightly better  last night . Slightly??

He insisted he never noticed any incident between the benches
. Well the rest of us did. He could ov said it was a bit of handbags but insists nothing happened , now i dont really care what happened but to insist otherwise ? JT sounded gobsmacked .(and said so after)
Saturdays performance poor? Understatement ;; its was Dogshit (no offence) and its why i almost stopped at home and watched Deadenders .

I can't explain what or why he says what he does any more than you can. I admit he is not a great speaker or versed in good public relations: but. He is doing something right, we are second and winning when not even playing well. Can we concentrate on that please.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 26, 2014, 9:22am; Reply: 15
See the thing is for me their is no connection at all with the fans , he comes across quite boring and sometimes his answers to  questions like john said last night when he asked " well you got the win you needed paul" his response was " I don't think we needed a win at all" or something along them lines, FFS paul of course we needed the win , its obvious you don't get promoted losing do you ?

now its ok being maybe arrogant or stubborn if you are a manager with the fans backing higher up in the leagues and playing free flowing football not when you are a conference manager who lets be honest has made strange formations up, players out of position and all because he is very stubborn,he has no connection with the fans anyway.

I have no desire to see town play bad , I want town promoted but I just don't like paul hurst, its all very strange.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 26, 2014, 9:22am; Reply: 16

I can't explain what or why he says what he does any more than you can. I admit he is not a great speaker or versed in good public relations: but. He is doing something right, we are second and winning when not even playing well. Can we concentrate on that please.

Came out the park last night , feeling good , had a pint on way home to celebrate . then caught the interview and couldnt believe what i was listening too, I will stick to Capital fm on way home  in future .:)

Congrats on your winnings last night BTW.

UTM
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 26, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 17

Came out the park last night , feeling good , had a pint on way home to celebrate . then caught the interview and couldnt believe what i was listening too, I will stick to Capital fm on way home  in future .:)

Congrats on your winnings last night BTW.

UTM

Cheers, I'll be at Telford with 6 other family members on Saturday: I live within walking distance of the ground. Home games are difficult, mostly hit away matches.

Posted by: maxfox44, November 26, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 18
Getting a little fed up of all the "in-fighting", I'm not a fan of PH, I think he's always trying to be a bit too clever on the interviews.  However, we changed to 442, got the result, do I care if wants to admit he got it wrong on Saturday?  Do I care if he thinks Saturday's and Tuesday's performances were on a par.  Do I care really if he stays or leaves?  No, I just want this club back in the league.  I can't say I was ever looking forward to hearing Buckley's interviews either.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 26, 2014, 10:08am; Reply: 19
Let the man get on with his job, people are reading far too much into this interview and jumping to conclusions.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 26, 2014, 10:25am; Reply: 20
I don't honestly think many people stayed away because of Saturday. This time of the year has always seen low attendances and no clubs ever wanted too many home games in the run up to Christmas. Some people might remember that the club experimented many years ago with Friday night games for the last game before Christmas but that wasn't well received by the fans either.

The true test of whether the club is on a turnaround will come around February. If the team is top or a close second then the gates will go up and we might even see one or two 4000+ gates before the end of the season. If we are outside the play offs and not consistent, then 2500 to 3000 will be the max. It's not a big difference in numbers but it is a massive percentage difference. It all depends on results and the vibes coming out of the club. For the manager it could be quite decisive.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 26, 2014, 10:25am; Reply: 21
I didn't go last night - I thought about it but:
It was cold
I'm saving up for Christmas and £18 plus petrol plus pie was a bit too much
I quite fancied watching Man City vs Bayern on the telly
Work made it difficult on a Tuesday

Nothing to do with Hurst, his tactics, or anything else i suspect a lot of people were in my shoes.
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, November 26, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 22
I am over at the moment and would loved to have gone last night but for family reasons I was unable to get. I really wanted to see a better performance than the dross I experienced on Saturday and I was sure that PH and the team were not going to get on a bad run and really turn things around! 8) UTMM!! 8) 8)
Posted by: acko338, November 26, 2014, 2:22pm; Reply: 23
Paul Hurst is not a natural orator, and now Croudson has gone, he has lost his lively part time interview sub, who always seemed positive on camera.

Is he just naturally shy, or not able to banter at will against awkward questions.

If he gets us promoted at the end of this year, he can send the kit person to after match interviews as far as I care - THE PROOF IS IN THE POINTS !!

I'm sure Doig could do some of the interviews as long as the translator is handy ??  ;D
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 26, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 24
As I've said before, Hurst isn't Ian Holloway, Barry Fry or Neil Warnock.  We're second in the league and well in the hunt for promotion, so that's what matters.  I couldn't care less about whether he's able to come out and perform Henry V after each game.

Having said that, though I like his understated, deadpan, nonplussed, almost cheeky response to some of the interview questions, now and then it would be good for him to give the fans and the potential fans a bit of a fillip: "I know it's a cold Tuesday before Christmas after a defeat, but I want to thank the fans who came and supported us tonight; the players really appreciate it and we're pleased to give you all a win to go home with. Hopefully we'll have even more here for the next game".  Things like that help create the bond, togetherness and shared sense of endeavour and purpose that John Still cited as one of the key factors in his Luton team's promotion last season.  If PH doesn't feel able to do it, then maybe he should ration his radio appearances and send out Carl Magnay or Shaun Pearson in his stead a few times.  It might be nice for PH to have a bit of a break from answering the same old questions!
Posted by: MarinerWY, November 26, 2014, 11:28pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from 3610

Macclesfield are unbeaten in 9 games- winning their last game. They also played at home on Saturday and last night like ourselves. Their attendance was down by 16percent. Ours was down by 22percent.

That's not accounting for number of away fans making a difference either.

Fans voting with their feet is a total non story and only pushed by people who have to try and come up with something to complain about even though we have just won and closed the gap on the leaders to 6 points.

Completely agree. Hats off for the research as well, helps put things into perspective!  :)
Posted by: fiveallive, November 27, 2014, 9:34pm; Reply: 26
I think every time PH changes the formation because of the fans he is showing weakness as manager because if he thinks 4-5-1 is the right formation he shouldn't care what the fans think. Then he acts like we put a gun to his head to change it, he should play the formation he wants he's the manager.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 27, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from maxfox44
Getting a little fed up of all the "in-fighting", I'm not a fan of PH, I think he's always trying to be a bit too clever on the interviews.  However, we changed to 442, got the result, do I care if wants to admit he got it wrong on Saturday?  Do I care if he thinks Saturday's and Tuesday's performances were on a par.  Do I care really if he stays or leaves?  No, I just want this club back in the league.  I can't say I was ever looking forward to hearing Buckley's interviews either.

If Thomas is fit, my bet is that he'll go back to 4-5-1 with his defensive midfielder in place, regardless of what the fans think and regardless of what happened on Tuesday.

Posted by: lukeo, November 28, 2014, 8:07am; Reply: 28
If he struggles and is camera shy why doesn't he get his assistant to do interviews?
Posted by: barralad, November 28, 2014, 8:25am; Reply: 29
Quoted from fiveallive
I think every time PH changes the formation because of the fans he is showing weakness as manager because if he thinks 4-5-1 is the right formation he shouldn't care what the fans think. Then he acts like we put a gun to his head to change it, he should play the formation he wants he's the manager.

We are back to the old argument about whether Hurst takes any notice of the fans in his team selection. Personally I don't think there is any evidence to support that view.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, November 28, 2014, 8:45am; Reply: 30
My view is you don't intercourse about with the team unless you absolutely have to. For me this means you keep a winning team and make those out of the team scrap for a chance to play. The name of Craig Disley is writ large with this point. Totally proved his worth on Tuesday and proved plenty on here wrong. I suspect though our tinkering manager will want to 'rest' him, as much a mistake in my eyes as bringing back Aswad would be.
Posted by: Garth, November 28, 2014, 10:24am; Reply: 31
Don`t care if he comes out wearing a fez and does some bad conjuring tricks for JT, as long as he does not talk Town down when its not necessary, if that sounds prickly so be it
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 30, 2014, 1:14am; Reply: 32
Quoted from carp catcher
Are all the moaners the same ones who moaned about Buckleys pr or Slades tatics.i think it's just an excuse not to put there hands in there pockets and support the team.they have a platform on here to air there negative views.
People need to get a grip were 2nd in league.ffs we could be in Lincolns position so get a grip

No they're not. I was in the happy clappy brigade with Buckley and in the anything as long as we win camp with Slade. But I do moan about Hurst. Nothing to do with wanting an excuse not to put my hands in my pockets. Despite the crap displays, I'm still there supporting the team when I can get there.

As for getting a grip, I think you could just as well say you need to get a grip. We're second, just, in our 5th season in the 5th division and failing to beat part-time sides.  FFS we could be in Rochdale's place.

So if you're going to pontificate from your high horse and tell people to get a grip, try to make sure you have an argument that stands up to some scrutiny first.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:26pm