Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 20, 2014, 2:20pm
Quoted from Grimsby Telegraph | 20th November 2014
DONE DEAL: Grimsby Town sign New Zealand striker Hamish Watson

GRIMSBY Town have completed the signing of Kiwi striker Hamish Watson.

The former Wellington Phoenix man had been on trial with the Mariners, and has now penned a short-term deal.

Watson, who has represented New Zealand at Under-20 level, has received full international clearance.
Link >> [url=http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/DEAL-Grimsby-Town-sign-New-Zealand-striker-Hamish/story-24573611-detail/story.html]http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/DEAL-Grimsby-Town-sign-New-Zealand-striker-Hamish/story-24573611-detail/story.html[/url]

Central Premier League, 21 games, 38 goals.  The Central League is a semi-professional status league competition run by Central Football for Association football clubs located in the southern and central parts of the North Island, New Zealand. It is at the second level of New Zealand Football behind the sports franchise based ASB Premiership, and the highest level of club based football available to teams within the region.

ASB Premiership, 37 games, 18 goals.  The national association football league in New Zealand. It is an amateur association football (soccer) sports franchise league that is operated by New Zealand Football.

A-League, 2 games, 0 goals.  The A-League is a professional men's soccer league in Australasia, run by Football Federation Australia (FFA). At the top of the Australian league system, it is the country's primary competition for the sport.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ltAqIGn.png[/img]
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 20, 2014, 2:30pm; Reply: 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Watson

is that really his scoring record ?
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, November 20, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 2
Well his a looker like Shaun person haha
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 20, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Yes, it was me who virtually did his wiki page. I added his Career details, International career, and his statistics.

Some sharp object vandilising the Grimsby Town page (fixed it now), one of the culprits whose just added something on his page to.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 20, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 4
that record is impressive
Posted by: Meza, November 20, 2014, 3:03pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

According to Wiki he's joining Lincoln....im confused  :-/
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 20, 2014, 3:10pm; Reply: 6
It does look a good record but obviously we don't know how good the opponents of Lower Hutt City and Wairarapa United generally were.
Posted by: pizzzza, November 20, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 7
From wiki.....

Grimsby Town[edit]
On 25 October 2014 Watson moved to England, training with Conference Premier side Grimsby Town to try earn a contract with the club.[8] On 20 November 2014 Watson received international clearance, and on the verge of signing for Grimsby Town.[9]

On 21 November Watson joins Lincoln City because Grimsby are 'Skint'. On the 22nd November Hamish retires from football after realising he has joined the worst football team ever Lincoln City

;D
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 20, 2014, 4:17pm; Reply: 8
Pleased to welcome him on board the rollorcoaster to League 2 !!!
Posted by: moosey_club, November 20, 2014, 4:27pm; Reply: 9
After all this p1ssing about and patience and assistance from the club he better bang a hat trick in on his competetive debut or he can do one with that other useless Kiwi international Dave Mulligan.  ;)   Welcome aboard (or should that be abroad?) Hamish
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 20, 2014, 4:36pm; Reply: 10
now signed a short term deal

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/DEAL-Grimsby-Town-sign-New-Zealand-striker-Hamish/story-24573611-detail/story.html

wonder when he will be ready.

he has done alot of training with us
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 20, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 11
If he's half as good as that Richard Hadlee fella was I'm happy.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 20, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jock dock tower
If he's half as good as that Richard Hadlee fella was I'm happy.

he would be useless then as he was always aiming for the woodwork or the body of the bloke in front of the woodwork...
Posted by: Abdul19, November 20, 2014, 4:47pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
It does look a good record but obviously we don't know how good the opponents of Lower Hutt City and Wairarapa United generally were.

A complete guess, but I reckon Hyde would beat them!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 20, 2014, 4:59pm; Reply: 14
I do hate it when they say " short term deal "

What is short term ?

1 MONTH , 3 MONTHS or to the end of the season,

Just say , we need to know.
Posted by: Meza, November 20, 2014, 6:40pm; Reply: 15
Till January i reckon with the option of extending it till the end of the season maybe?
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, November 20, 2014, 6:43pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Well his a looker like Shaun person haha

I just deleted a comment I typed saying the same thing, I couldn't be that cruel lol!
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 20, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 17
The team he's come from though is equivalent probably to a level like cleethorpes town, which is not to write off ability but to highlight that he'll probably have a lot to learn at this level so would give him a good few games before considering rating him, at the same time might explode into the scene never know
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 20, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Hope the day comes when we are saying,  Lower Hull City            ;D

Posted by: immariner, November 20, 2014, 8:13pm; Reply: 19
The team he's come from though is equivalent probably to a level like cleethorpes town, which is not to write off ability but to highlight that he'll probably have a lot to learn at this level so would give him a good few games before considering rating him, at the same time might explode into the scene never know

I have a sneaking suspicion that you have just made that up! Even if you are close, 19 goals in 11 appearances at that level would have caught our eye.
Posted by: acko338, November 20, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 20
Goalscoring has been said on here several times to be non teachable - ie a natural art that can be enhanced by knowledge of how to beat the offside trap, how to gain the vital yard to get away from the defender, how to shoot quickly and accurately, sometimes off balance or under challenge.

This lad could be the right age, hopefully right attitude, and by training for a month, should be up to squad fitness.

He scored 3 goals against Corby, so is gaining experience going towards the right footballing level.

If he gets a start or off the bench, his chances should be at Conference level, set up by the quality of the squad.

It's then up to him to show what he can do ! Best of luck if chosen.

Vardy showed that someone at this level can be spotted to go higher up the ladder - could this lad be our rough diamond?
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 20, 2014, 8:32pm; Reply: 21

Just found this,            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC8QUNdU1Jw

Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 20, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 22
I have no idea were he fits in pauls plans..

We have been playing with one main striker which has been lenny then pittman is the next in line..

Ross hannah must be hoping someone comes in for him in january and that might not be a bad thing as he just doesnt fit in pauls style at all.

I actually wonder what the chances are this hamish lad never plays a game for us.

Just think its a signing that doesnt make sense.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 20, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
I do hate it when they say " short term deal "

What is short term ?

1 MONTH , 3 MONTHS or to the end of the season,

Just say , we need to know.

Probably don't want to alert clubs if he does well whilst retaining the ability to get rid cheaply if he doesn't do well.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 20, 2014, 9:56pm; Reply: 24
The lad clearly has something for the club to pursue a deal. He's been with us for a month now so that's plenty of time to assess him. I wonder if Chris Doig had anything to do with him coming here, sure he played down there a few years ago. Just a case of fingers crossed we've found a gem.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 20, 2014, 10:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I have no idea were he fits in pauls

I actually wonder what the chances are this hamish lad never plays a game for us.

Just think its a signing that doesnt make sense.

He's a big lad so should be able to lead the line by himself and add competition.

On Ross Hannah, I'm not sure he's good enough in any formation. Since January 2013. He's scored 19 goals for us. 8 pens. 11 goals from open play in nearly 2 years and played over 60 games is just not good enough. Get rid of him and sign an out and out target man. Is Adam Cunnington available on loan. Was at Bristol Rovers last time I checked.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 12:06am; Reply: 26
Quoted from promotion plaice

Hope the day comes when we are saying,  Lower Hull City            ;D

There was many a day we could say lower Hull City

Answer to Sam, Cunnington was at Bristol Rovers but Cambridge have called him back and he scored for them the other night.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 21, 2014, 12:11am; Reply: 27
To put it into some form of context, New Zealand population around 4.4 million.

Copy and paste job from wiki.

Central Premier League, 21 games, 38 goals.  The Central League is a semi-professional status league competition run by Central Football for Association football clubs located in the southern and central parts of the North Island, New Zealand. It is at the second level of New Zealand Football behind the sports franchise based ASB Premiership, and the highest level of club based football available to teams within the region.

ASB Premiership, 37 games, 18 goals.  The national association football league in New Zealand. It is an amateur association football (soccer) sports franchise league that is operated by New Zealand Football.

A-League, 2 games, 0 goals.  The A-League is a professional men's soccer league in Australasia, run by Football Federation Australia (FFA). At the top of the Australian league system, it is the country's primary competition for the sport.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ltAqIGn.png[/img]
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 21, 2014, 10:19am; Reply: 28
I havent been this excited about a Town signing since Chima Okorie.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 21, 2014, 10:32am; Reply: 29
Ah, Chima  :)
Remember when Ceefax made him Irish by calling him O'Korie ? ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 10:43am; Reply: 30
I think Hamish will only get better,

So do not judge him too soon,

He is young, strong , fast and can score,

Let's give him time before anybody says he is no better than x, y or z.
Posted by: Garth, November 21, 2014, 12:10pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I havent been this excited about a Town signing since Chima Okorie.

Careful you may KIWI yourself
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 21, 2014, 12:51pm; Reply: 32
I suspect he will either not play for us and go in January or score ten in ten and go in January to a bigger club
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 21, 2014, 7:06pm; Reply: 33
My inside information from NZ (from someone who played against him) is that if he gets his chance and gets on the ball, then he'll score plenty of goals for us.
Posted by: springstomind, November 21, 2014, 8:31pm; Reply: 34
http://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/9689610/Hamish-Watson-signs-to-Phoenix

This to me shows the guy has worked hard to get where he is and he will give EVERYTHING, given half of chance. I've read a few other articles from ex managers saying he possesses good quality and is a great goal scorer, but even if his technical ability was generally lower than this level, work rate alone in the Confrence goes a long way.  I hope he gets a chance.

"I told him to loose 10kg and I'd give him a contract.... He lost 11"

Class haha.
Posted by: Meza, November 21, 2014, 9:06pm; Reply: 35
Great attitude.   Apparently according to the video in the GET someone that Hamish knew went on the same coaching course as PH and asked PH to take a look at him.

I hope he does well.....good luck Hamish
Posted by: codcheeky, November 21, 2014, 9:28pm; Reply: 36
Any one else remember Hot Shot Hamish from the Tiger comic a few years ago, big lump of jockliness from some remote  Island up north, Had a shot that used to burst the nets and sometimes the post anyway heres hoping we have found our own hot shot Hamish, good luck to him and welcome aboard
Posted by: Maringer, November 21, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from springstomind
http://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/phoenix/9689610/Hamish-Watson-signs-to-Phoenix

This to me shows the guy has worked hard to get where he is and he will give EVERYTHING, given half of chance. I've read a few other articles from ex managers saying he possesses good quality and is a great goal scorer, but even if his technical ability was generally lower than this level, work rate alone in the Confrence goes a long way.  I hope he gets a chance.

"I told him to loose 10kg and I'd give him a contract.... He lost 11"

Class haha.

Well, yeah. But on the other hand, if you are seriously aiming to play professional football, how on Earth do you get to the stage where you are not far off two stone overweight!?!  ??)

I was amazed at the state of Jarman in his trial at Farsley all those years ago and he (eventually) got into shape, but I remain baffled as to how you can get into that condition if you're planning to be a professional athlete?
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Maringer

Well, yeah. But on the other hand, if you are seriously aiming to play professional football, how on Earth do you get to the stage where you are not far off two stone overweight!?!  ??)

I was amazed at the state of Jarman in his trial at Farsley all those years ago and he (eventually) got into shape, but I remain baffled as to how you can get into that condition if you're planning to be a professional athlete?

Mcdonalds need to have a picture of the lad pronto, so they can alert Hurst.
Posted by: Meza, November 21, 2014, 9:53pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from codcheeky
Any one else remember Hot Shot Hamish from the Tiger comic a few years ago, big lump of jockliness from some remote  Island up north, Had a shot that used to burst the nets and sometimes the post anyway heres hoping we have found our own hot shot Hamish, good luck to him and welcome aboard

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xfwRWyi.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jIyJqED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/eSzr1Z7.jpg[/IMG]
Posted by: springstomind, November 21, 2014, 9:55pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Maringer

Haha fair play mate not sure lol ...But yer the chubby bast has lost 11kg Now so hopefully he does alright, as he says he feels better and fitter. I do in the same breath think "overweight" is relative, as someone can be technically overweight as per the norm and charts etc, but if they feel alright and fit, then who cares? Remember Brazilian Ronaldo when he looked like a fat dad, still played brilliant haha and as much as I wanted the lump McNulty to be aweful, he was always class when I saw him, even though he is easy 2 stone "overweight" and looks like he lives on lager lol.

Posted by: Grimal, November 21, 2014, 10:00pm; Reply: 41
Anyone that travels to the other side of the world to fulfill their dream deserves a chance, good luck Hamish and welcome to Town. UTM.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 21, 2014, 11:14pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Grimal
Anyone that travels to the other side of the world to fulfill their dream deserves a chance, good luck Hamish and welcome to Town. UTM.

Indeed
Posted by: Meza, November 21, 2014, 11:17pm; Reply: 43
Never realised Del Piero plays for Sydney FC in the same league as Wellington Phoenix were Hamish once played
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2014, 11:24pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Grimal

Been there myself so can understand what he is going through, me and my family emigrated to Brisbane just over a decade ago, but things just didn't work out through no fault of our own.
Posted by: LH, November 21, 2014, 11:25pm; Reply: 45
Good luck at GTFC, Bubba.
Posted by: Tom13, November 22, 2014, 1:14am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Meza
Never realised Del Piero plays for Sydney FC in the same league as Wellington Phoenix were Hamish once played

David Villa's currently there on loan as well, Heskey's still there too I think?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 22, 2014, 8:42am; Reply: 47
best thing is, he is only 21 !

agree, for him to be willing to stay for a month when everyone doubted the international Clarence shows he has the passion.

fair play to the lad, no more running half the length of the pitch on a match day to get his fitness up !
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 22, 2014, 10:02am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
best thing is, he is only 21 !

agree, for him to be willing to stay for a month when everyone doubted the international Clarence shows he has the passion.

fair play to the lad, no more running half the length of the pitch on a match day to get his fitness up !

Whose this international Clarence if its Seedorf he's 38

Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:56pm