Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2014, 10:51am
One of the finest nights in Mariners history. I think most of us got urine wet through but nobody cared.

[img]https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/313502_10150560332423636_2112510552_n.jpg?oh=bc4febff07be39bdcb26001569cf5830&oe=551334F3[/img]
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 20, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 1
How the mighty have fallen.  And I don't mean Everton.

This was a top-quality Everton side who did very well in Europe.   Unbeaten at home that season.  Town did brilliantly to hold out for nearly the full 90 mins before snatching the winner.  If we can show the same character, determination and fight for the rest of this season, then we have a very good chance of going up.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 2
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
How the mighty have fallen.  And I don't mean Everton.

This was a top-quality Everton side who did very well in Europe.   Unbeaten at home that season.  Town did brilliantly to hold out for nearly the full 90 mins before snatching the winner.  If we can show the same character, determination and fight for the rest of this season, then we have a very good chance of going up.  

They were THE team of the moment at the time. They had won their previous 10 games in all competitions and I think they went on to win the 1st Division title and The European Cup Winners Cup the same season. Our defence, particularly Batchy and Chris Nicholl were unbeatable that night. I don't think that I have ever seen a more one sided game where the team on the receiving end have won!

I remember we stopped at Hartshead Moor services on the way home and the team coach pulled in too, only to be mobbed by hundreds of Town fans.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 20, 2014, 11:24am; Reply: 3
I wish you would stop putting all these great times of the past on Les,

It only reminds me how low we have sunk. :-/
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 4
Quoted from grimsby pete
I wish you would stop putting all these great times of the past on Les,

It only reminds me how low we have sunk. :-/

Brilliant memories Pete. I'm glad we have them to look back on unlike some clubs.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 20, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 5
Didn't go myself that night, unemployed at the time and couldn't afford it
Listened to it on the radio
Remember the commentary to this day

Wonderful night.  Went to the Clee park after for a celebration drink with Brazilnut and his mates.
Posted by: DocTower, November 20, 2014, 11:48am; Reply: 6
I have this news paper upstairs , I was there , wonderful night and had our bus windows put through too .
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 20, 2014, 12:34pm; Reply: 7
I still have this clipping too Les,  it's great to reminisce about past glories, I know we have fallen since then but you never know we may get back there again one day, who knows?  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, November 20, 2014, 1:10pm; Reply: 8
Never knew Arsenal tried to sign John Barnes ;)
Posted by: Garth, November 20, 2014, 2:15pm; Reply: 9
Wonderful night, under the cosh for most of the match, Batchy was superb and Wilkies header beat the finest keeper in the league at the time, unbelievable
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, November 20, 2014, 2:27pm; Reply: 10
Great night! We led a  charmed life that night but that spirit now would see us promoted.The Anfield win a few years later was different in that you could feel it was going to happen although perhaps not in the way that it did.Back in the league we may get chance to make history again.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2014, 3:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
Great night! We led a  charmed life that night but that spirit now would see us promoted.The Anfield win a few years later was different in that you could feel it was going to happen although perhaps not in the way that it did.Back in the league we may get chance to make history again.

Yeah, the Anfield win was totally different. We gave Liverpool a good game that night but that night at Goodison was pretty unbelievable really. I think the corner count was something like 20 to 0 and apart from Wilkies goal, I think the only other shot we had was a weak effort by Steve Foley. They absolutely murdered us that night but Batchy and Chris Nicholl were in "thou shalt not get past" mode that evening.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 20, 2014, 3:32pm; Reply: 12
Reminds me of the night we beat them at BP.
Mike Brolly's name was headlines on the back page of the national papers the next morning.  
The atmosphere that night was awesome.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 20, 2014, 5:04pm; Reply: 13
That is the problem for us older guys,

We have seen our lads beat the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool, Newcastle Sunderland, ect ect ect,

Now we struggle to Beat Nuneaton, Southport and Altrincham.
Posted by: CambsMariner, November 20, 2014, 5:58pm; Reply: 14
That was in the days when they used to value the League/Carling/Milk/Rumbelows Cup and field full strength teams.
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, November 20, 2014, 6:07pm; Reply: 15
Les - please keep putting stuff like this on Fishy
My cup's half full - I want to be reminded of our great victories and great teams

It was a grreat night out – one of the best - and one of my favourite and most atmospheric grounds

They had 28 corners to our one I seem to recall; we had golf balls rained down on us from lovely people in top stand; a police horse was driven through Mariners fans for no reason (I remember woman and childen in tears); and me and three mates played ‘We're’ gonna win the cup one day’ all the way home on permanent loop on a cassette recorder... literally refusing to turn it off and ending up in hysterics

No one liked us and we didn’t give a sh*t!!
Posted by: GorgeousGeorge, November 20, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from promotion plaice
Reminds me of the night we beat them at BP.
Mike Brolly's name was headlines on the back page of the national papers the next morning.  
The atmosphere that night was awesome.

This was also the night that 'sing when your fishing' was born.  I remember clearly the Evertonians in the covered corner singing it while the majority of the main stand laughed.  Happy days.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 20, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from DocTower
I have this news paper upstairs , I was there , wonderful night and had our bus windows put through too .

SNAP !!
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:30am