Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 19, 2014, 12:24pm
Assuming the dream comes true and we get Promoted in 2015 what can we look forward to ................

League 2   a league mostly full of poorly supported clubs with average football . a small step up from the Vanarama?  So if we get promoted and just hover around mid table the crowds and football will be much the same as now?

So what are this clubs realistic aims?  Championship Football ? We need a new ground for this to happen , which is moving very slowly . So a Realistic Aim is League 1?

I know the Club will benefit financialy by getting back in the FL but once the Hype of getting promoted has died down what happens then  , League Two Football ................................................ Its not all doom and gloom honest

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 19, 2014, 12:27pm; Reply: 1
promotion to the football league this town needs a football league side club,we,ll sort the rest when we do this bit :)
Posted by: NorthLeedsMariner, November 19, 2014, 12:32pm; Reply: 2
Realistic aim is surely League one but at this moment league two will do. Financially we will be alot better off, don't the league fund league clubs re: youth development? Also have the added bonue of bigger away followings and the league cup and JPT. Surely a better income stream than the FA trophy.

Our crowds have always hovered around 5k regardless of the division to be honest. God we had Mendonca and Futcher and were in the championship but still our crowds were low. League one is a realistic aim.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 19, 2014, 12:37pm; Reply: 3
I Remember watching Town V Forest in the early oo's and there were less than 4000 home fans in Att ................... It seems we were never happy . lol
Posted by: rancido, November 19, 2014, 2:04pm; Reply: 4
I would say that League One is our present ceiling with the levels of support we might achieve in that division. With the possible expansion of the town due to the interest in renewable energy infrastructure both in Gy and Immingham then it is possible that  a boost in population might help to aim for a possible Championship status. Past average gates at our recent Championship campaigns don't really demonstrate the financial income to maintain that level unfortunately. Of course that could be greatly helped by having a ground with other income streams to help fund that kind of aspiration.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2014, 3:48pm; Reply: 5
When we get promoted from this league,

We have to make sure we never ever return.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 19, 2014, 4:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from rancido
I would say that League One is our present ceiling with the levels of support we might achieve in that division. With the possible expansion of the town due to the interest in renewable energy infrastructure both in Gy and Immingham then it is possible that  a boost in population might help to aim for a possible Championship status. Past average gates at our recent Championship campaigns don't really demonstrate the financial income to maintain that level unfortunately. Of course that could be greatly helped by having a ground with other income streams to help fund that kind of aspiration.

Don't forget that there will also be increased away support
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 19, 2014, 4:26pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from fleabag1970

League 2   a league mostly full of poorly supported clubs

Really ?

Average league 2 away support for last season

Pompey - 1137
Oxford - 727
Chesterfield - 710
Bury - 483
York - 423
Northampton - 366

Average non league support for last season
Luton - 1086 (Now League 2)
Grimsby - 414
Cambridge - 384 (Now League 2)
Chester - 350

the rest are all below 300
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 19, 2014, 4:34pm; Reply: 8
I agree that Division 1 is a realistic and achievable target. About our level given the demands of the Championship these days.

As a walker I would say that "the longest journey starts with the first step".  Let us get back in the league first.
Posted by: RonMariner, November 19, 2014, 5:20pm; Reply: 9
L1 is a realistic target, and I think teams that manage to get out of the Conference have nothing to fear from most L2 sides.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 19, 2014, 6:18pm; Reply: 10
Worldwide peace
Posted by: LH, November 19, 2014, 6:46pm; Reply: 11
I'll haunt the halls of Blundell Park if I don't see us play Champions League football before I die.
Posted by: cod_head_doug, November 19, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 12
When we get promoted, not only will we celebrate promotion, but it will be our 100th year in the football league !!
Double bubble celebrations
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:20am