No fighting and no flares  8)
Posted by: mike_d, November 18, 2014, 10:41am; Reply: 1
Nice pic..
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 18, 2014, 10:44am; Reply: 2
Quoted from mike_d
Nice pic..

B@llacks!
Posted by: Maringer, November 18, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 3
I'm actually slightly concerned about tonight. The Jocks seem to have a good and cohesive team ethic at the moment and are playing some decent football for the first time in a long while. We, on the other hand, still tend to look like a bunch of individuals a lot of the time and our defence doesn't look the best.

You can only imagine what all the crowing will be like if we lose tonight...  :-/
Posted by: GrimRob, November 18, 2014, 11:00am; Reply: 4
Another "pub" side we'll dispatch with ease. Just got to wait 18 months before we get some decent opposition in a meaningful game.
Posted by: Rick12, November 18, 2014, 12:05pm; Reply: 5
Admire the scots and their fans.Like Gordan Strachen as well.Real motivator of players and a amiable guy.
Posted by: Garth, November 18, 2014, 12:17pm; Reply: 6
All bluster from men dressed in drag (red wigs and skirts) 0-2 Eng ger land ;D
Posted by: Rick12, November 18, 2014, 12:19pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Garth
All bluster from men dressed in drag (red wigs and skirts) 0-2 Eng ger land ;D
Nice people though  :)

Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 18, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 8
Scotland 1 England 2

Rooney  &. Welbeck
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 18, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 9
Friendly.......my bottom
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 18, 2014, 1:20pm; Reply: 10
The "3 Fish, 3 Lions" GTFC flag should be there tonight as I know a couple of people who have gone.

Apparently the Scots aren't being very hospitable, they tried to get in about 30 different pubs in Glasgow last night but were turned away from them all when it was obvious they were from England.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 18, 2014, 2:17pm; Reply: 11
2-2

Hanley 8
Anya 72

Rooney (pen) 30
Berahino 62
Posted by: Meza, November 18, 2014, 3:17pm; Reply: 12
Scotland 0 - 4 England (England turn up and rip them a new behind hole)

Rooney
Welbeck
Chamberlain
Henderson
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2014, 3:53pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin
The "3 Fish, 3 Lions" GTFC flag should be there tonight as I know a couple of people who have gone.

Apparently the Scots aren't being very hospitable, they tried to get in about 30 different pubs in Glasgow last night but were turned away from them all when it was obvious they were from England.

They must have gone in the Celtic pubs Les,

They will find a much better welcome in the Rangers water holes.
Posted by: chrissy, November 18, 2014, 6:39pm; Reply: 14
An easy 3-0 win for England

Rooney 2, Welbeck
Posted by: LH, November 18, 2014, 6:49pm; Reply: 15
Horrid feeling we'll get beat and I'll be getting a barrage of jock abuse on facebook after a rant aimed towards them as we got dumped out of the World Cup.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2014, 6:52pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LH
Horrid feeling we'll get beat and I'll be getting a barrage of jock abuse on facebook after a rant aimed towards them as we got dumped out of the World Cup.

We should give them independence if they win. ;D
Posted by: LH, November 18, 2014, 6:53pm; Reply: 17
Possession stats already in: England 100%  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 18
Minutes applause for the fan that died on Friday, nice touch, now let's stuff the Scot's.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 19
Great goal England  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: chaos33, November 18, 2014, 8:41pm; Reply: 20
Did I dream it, or are Stewart Downing and James Milner playing for England?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 18, 2014, 8:43pm; Reply: 21
Picked on form I guess which is good to see. Nathaniel Clyne nailing down the right back slot so far.
Posted by: codcheeky, November 18, 2014, 8:49pm; Reply: 22
great support from england, the scots are being a little outclassed at the moment both on and off the pitch
Posted by: Maringer, November 18, 2014, 8:57pm; Reply: 23
Finally, in Clyne, it looks as though we've got a right-back who actually knows how to defend. I think Anya is a dangerous player and he's played him out of the game so far.

Downing has been pretty anonymous and Milner hasn't done a great deal either, but we've looked OK.

An entertaining game which makes a nice change to some of the rubbish friendly matches we've had to endure.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2014, 9:01pm; Reply: 24
Got to laugh, BBC Radio Scotland saying the Scottish players tired after Friday's game, but we played a day later   ::)
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 18, 2014, 9:29pm; Reply: 25
Thats why there is no point in this fixture . England are not out of 1st gear and are 2-0 ............. Its a bit like Liverpool playing Tranmere .................. Pointless
Posted by: Bruce Springsteen, November 18, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from fleabag1970
Thats why there is no point in this fixture . England are not out of 1st gear and are 2-0 ............. Its a bit like Liverpool playing Tranmere .................. Pointless

not watched The Scousers recently?
Posted by: Abdul19, November 18, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 27
Scotland must be shit if Chris Smalling's not made a major mistake.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 18, 2014, 9:40pm; Reply: 28
Men against boys. A huge gulf in class
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33
Did I dream it, or are Stewart Downing and James Milner playing for England?

No you are not dreaming but we are only playing Scotland. ;D
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 18, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Bruce Springsteen

not watched The Scousers recently?

Fair point mate !
Posted by: mariner91, November 18, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 31
I thought Scotland would be better than this, they're terrible. Worse than the likes of Slovenia.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 18, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsby pete
I know it is only a friendly but we can not let them beat us,

On the other hand I can not see us winning,

SO            2-2 draw and we can all be happy,

Welbeck, Rooney ( pen ) for us.

No fighting and no flares  8)

Of course they'll be flares. It's still 1974 up there.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 18, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 33
Ha ha Spud finishes a great pisstaking team goal.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 34
I was just going to say this is easy then Scotland score to make it 2-1,

Then Rooney makes it 3-1,

So I will say again,

This is easy.  ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, November 18, 2014, 9:55pm; Reply: 35
Bit like the Guiseley game.
Posted by: Garth, November 18, 2014, 9:58pm; Reply: 36
A walk in the park Celtic Park for ENG GER LAND

(groupwave1)
Posted by: psgmariner, November 18, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 37
Really enjoyable game that. Played in the right spirit, decent atmosphere and some good goals.
Posted by: TAGG, November 18, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 38
Haven't enjoyed an England game as much as that for ages.

Easy Easy Easy  ;D  ;D  ;D

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the Queen.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 18, 2014, 10:04pm; Reply: 39
List of sports that Scotland are good at,,,

1) Curling
2) Errrmm....
Posted by: Caveman, November 18, 2014, 10:11pm; Reply: 40
1 ) Tennis

2 ) Ballroom Dancing

Well at least up to last week. Perhaps not !
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 18, 2014, 10:19pm; Reply: 41
>:( ;Dhttps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=all+together+now+the+farm   >:(
Posted by: Maringer, November 18, 2014, 10:25pm; Reply: 42
This football lark is easy when you don't have to play those sneaky, untrustworthy, foreigner types who do clever things with the ball that shouldn't be allowed.
Posted by: codcheeky, November 18, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Maringer
This football lark is easy when you don't have to play those sneaky, untrustworthy, foreigner types who do clever things with the ball that shouldn't be allowed.

and roll around like they have been shot by a sniper after every challenge

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 19, 2014, 12:18pm; Reply: 44
a premiership team against a championship team,really like our right back cline who is behind producing all these players from southampton?
Posted by: Abdul19, November 19, 2014, 1:20pm; Reply: 45
Not sure but Crystal Palace produced him!
Posted by: Abdul19, November 19, 2014, 1:21pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from codcheeky

and roll around like they have been shot by a sniper after every challenge

England would have no chance against Gateshead then.
Posted by: petethemariner, November 19, 2014, 1:46pm; Reply: 47
Just loved beating the Jocks in their own back yard and i thought it was a great performance by us and what i loved
was how 'up for it' and pride in our shirt that the players had, it was a very enjoyable game played
at a good tempo and a lot of the credit for that should go to the referee who i thought was superb.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 19, 2014, 2:12pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Les Brechin
List of sports that Scotland are good at,,,

1) Curling
2) Errrmm....

Tossing the Caber ?  ;D
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 19, 2014, 2:56pm; Reply: 49
BOO! :P
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2014, 3:41pm; Reply: 50
When the Scots were going for independence they said they would still have the Queen as head of state,

So why did they boo the national anthem ?
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 19, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 51
The SNP government said that they wanted to keep the queen as a sop to try and win over middle ground votes. The vast majority of the independence campaigners, certainly that I know, wanted to be become a republic and have the money spent on Scottish infrastructure and services rather than the royals. I think it has almost become the norm nowadays to boo certain national anthems it? Anyway, the bit in it about wanting to vanquish the Scots might have had something to do with it.

The whole thing about independence isn't simply going to go away now though Peter, and these are still exciting times politically up here.

Anyway, back to the fitba. Didn't watch the game as I was otherwise engaged in training for some voluntary work, but it sounded as if the defeat was well merited. Looking at it from Strachan's view I suppose it's good to get those kind of results out of the way in friendly games. He'll certainly have plenty to do to ensure it doesn't happen again in a competitive match, luckily it's Gibraltar at home! I know a good number of fitba friends of mine who refused to go because of the ridiculous price asking for a ticket (£60) Twice what it was to watch Scotland in Dortmund play the world champions!
Posted by: mariner91, November 19, 2014, 5:58pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from jock dock tower
The SNP government said that they wanted to keep the queen as a sop to try and win over middle ground votes. The vast majority of the independence campaigners, certainly that I know, wanted to be become a republic and have the money spent on Scottish infrastructure and services rather than the royals. I think it has almost become the norm nowadays to boo certain national anthems it? Anyway, the bit in it about wanting to vanquish the Scots might have had something to do with it.

No. It hasn't. No matter how you try and dress it up Jock it was puerile and a bit pathetic. If you all hate England so much you should have all voted yes but you didn't, you bottled it like you bottled the football. The Scots showed a complete lack of class for booing the anthem and then had the nerve to complain about some (equally moronic) England fans singing anti-IRA songs.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 19, 2014, 6:50pm; Reply: 53
Steady on old boy, I suggested that it had become something of the norm - with a question mark against that - and I've heard it with other countries and with other sports as well.

Nobody's saying that Scotland "hates England" that was rubbish put about by the media who had their own agenda to follow.

May I suggest you remove the chips off both of your shoulders and have a wee dram or two and settle down.

The English chanting the anti IRA songs was probably predictable, given that they were playing at Parkhead. It's not just those singing  though as the England band were playing the music for them to sing along to according to the report in the Guardian today. It's really water off a duck's back in Glasgow though where sectarianism and bigotry are still, very sadly, prevalent at both Rangers and Celtic.

BTW, I'm Welsh.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2014, 7:09pm; Reply: 54
I would bet there will be another vote for independence in the next 10 years and this time it will result in a yes,

Then the Scots can moan about their own government instead of the London one,

The SNP are saying they could hold the balance of power at the next elections,

Now who would you like to be in partnership with,

SNP or UKIP  ?

What a thought. ;D ;D
Posted by: psgmariner, November 19, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 55
Booing anthems is the norm. Everyone does it. I couldn't care less. Don't know why they bother playing them at all.
Posted by: mariner91, November 19, 2014, 7:33pm; Reply: 56
Steady on old boy, I suggested that it had become something of the norm - with a question mark against that - and I've heard it with other countries and with other sports as well.

Nobody's saying that Scotland "hates England" that was rubbish put about by the media who had their own agenda to follow.

May I suggest you remove the chips off both of your shoulders and have a wee dram or two and settle down.

The English chanting the anti IRA songs was probably predictable, given that they were playing at Parkhead. It's not just those singing  though as the England band were playing the music for them to sing along to according to the report in the Guardian today. It's really water off a duck's back in Glasgow though where sectarianism and bigotry are still, very sadly, prevalent at both Rangers and Celtic.

BTW, I'm Welsh.

Apologies, was a bit over the top. It just really irked me that it was booed. As far as I'm concerned, we're still one country and are better together and have done great things together. So whilst we're still one country a bit of respect towards the other's national anthem wouldn't go amiss in my opinion. And she's still the Scottish queen as well!
Posted by: psgmariner, November 19, 2014, 7:35pm; Reply: 57
We would boo the argies wouldn't we? It's pantomime stuff.
Posted by: mariner91, November 19, 2014, 7:39pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from psgmariner
We would boo the argies wouldn't we? It's pantomime stuff.

I don't know if we would for certain.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 19, 2014, 9:28pm; Reply: 59
I do ;)
Posted by: codcheeky, November 20, 2014, 1:12pm; Reply: 60

The whole thing about independence isn't simply going to go away now though Peter, and these are still exciting times politically up here.

Anyway, back to the fitba. Didn't watch the game as I was otherwise engaged in training for some voluntary work, but it sounded as if the defeat was well merited. Looking at it from Strachan's view I suppose it's good to get those kind of results out of the way in friendly games. He'll certainly have plenty to do to ensure it doesn't happen again in a competitive match, luckily it's Gibraltar at home! I know a good number of fitba friends of mine who refused to go because of the ridiculous price asking for a ticket (£60) Twice what it was to watch Scotland in Dortmund play the world champions!

There was a time when the famous tartan army would save up all their pennies to see Scotland play England, the Scottish fans were embarrassingly poor in their support even before England scored .  If the jocks had made the same noise as the England fans did the commentators would be gushing all that passionate scots nonsense. Heard the scots singing for about 2 minutes throughout the whole game and they pretend to be the best supporters, with their wigs and tartan they have become a caricature of themselves
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 20, 2014, 4:45pm; Reply: 61
Probably because their team, by all accounts, were pish. Abroad it's a totally different kettle of fish. I went with some lads from my village to Dortmund for the game against Germany and it was amazing from setting foot into the city centre fan zone just after breakfast to the end of the game. Biggest away international following they've ever had in Dortmund, and no trouble whatsoever. City centre had something in the region of 7,000 plus Scots and 3,000 Germans just having one big party.

There's footage on youtube of Polish fans clapping Scotland out of the stadium after the 2-2 draw there the other month because of their support.

It's no different to watching any club, you always make more noise when you're away from home with a few scoops inside you.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 20, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 62
I do ;)

That's because you have been living in Scotland too long John,

Us English folk are far too reserved to boo our opposition.  :)
Posted by: codcheeky, November 20, 2014, 5:18pm; Reply: 63
Probably because their team, by all accounts, were pish. Abroad it's a totally different kettle of fish. I went with some lads from my village to Dortmund for the game against Germany and it was amazing from setting foot into the city centre fan zone just after breakfast to the end of the game. Biggest away international following they've ever had in Dortmund, and no trouble whatsoever. City centre had something in the region of 7,000 plus Scots and 3,000 Germans just having one big party.

There's footage on youtube of Polish fans clapping Scotland out of the stadium after the 2-2 draw there the other month because of their support.

It's no different to watching any club, you always make more noise when you're away from home with a few scoops inside you.

I`m sure the English fans were clapped out of the stadium by the men in skirts or do they only take plaudits?
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 20, 2014, 9:18pm; Reply: 64
To be honest I couldn't tell you as I wasn't there. I do know that the guys from my village who went down to London for the game a wee while back had a great time of it there mingling freely with the English fans.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 7:05pm