Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 12, 2014, 5:52pm
I know not everyone's cup of tea, but I've  been a fan for years. So was wondering if anyone has taken on the virtual hot seat at Blundell Park, and how are you getting on?  Who have you signed? Won promotion yet? Been sacked by fenty yet?

Don't get as much time as I'd like with work and the little one, but so far I'm half way through the first season and after a slow start I've just sneaked into the play offs and 4th place, on loan Aaron O'connor leads the scoring charts with 8 goals.
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 12, 2014, 6:34pm; Reply: 1
Won the FA Trophy against Brizzle. Narrowly missed out on winning the league as Gateshead trumped us on the last day of the season. They finished on 91 points, we closed on 90. Lost in playoff final to Torquay (McKeown was injured). Chuffers. All good enough for Fenty to extend my contract until 2017, though..
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, November 12, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 2
Just coming up to Christmas, second behind Wrexham.  Jack Mackreth top scorer with with 12 in 16. Got a guy in called Marco Capitani who was released from Derby... Great impact sub.
Posted by: Meza, November 12, 2014, 6:46pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jimgtfc
I know not everyone's cup of tea, but I've  been a fan for years. So was wondering if anyone has taken on the virtual hot seat at Blundell Park, and how are you getting on?  Who have you signed? Won promotion yet? Been sacked by fenty yet?

Don't get as much time as I'd like with work and the little one, but so far I'm half way through the first season and after a slow start I've just sneaked into the play offs and 4th place, on loan Aaron O'connor leads the scoring charts with 8 goals.

Preferred the match engine in 2012 they have made it worse in the later versions still i got town promoted champions in 4 seasons on a trot now in the premier.  Lol
Posted by: GyMariner, November 13, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 4
Didn't realise this was out!! I downloaded FM 2014 a few months ago at a reduced price. Love the game but really didn't like the player ratings. Chris doig was rated one of the best in the team etc while scott brown wasn't so good. Have the player ratings improved and been updated?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 13, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 5
Not played any of the Football Manager games, last time I played one was Ultimate Soccer Manager 2 about 15 year ago, was an awesome game.

[youtube]thR2_H_lQQI[/youtube]
Posted by: Meza, November 13, 2014, 11:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Not played any of the Football Manager games, last time I played one was Ultimate Soccer Manager 2 about 15 year ago, was an awesome game.

[youtube]thR2_H_lQQI[/youtube]

I had that Nelly on the Amiga lol.  I bought Championship Manager when it first came out but had no real names i think it was 1990 then the next one had proper names.  I also had on the ball but it was crap and tracksuit manager 1 & 2
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 14, 2014, 12:21am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Meza
I had that Nelly on the Amiga lol.  I bought Championship Manager when it first came out but had no real names i think it was 1990 then the next one had proper names.  I also had on the ball but it was crap and tracksuit manager 1 & 2
lol it was a good game, Town was in the Championship when I bought it, so wasn't that hard to get them in the Premiership and playing Champions league football lol.

Emylyn Hughes football game was the first game I played, wasn't a manager type game though.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 14, 2014, 12:25am; Reply: 8
[img]http://thingsiwastedtoomuchtimeon.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/footballmanager_4.jpg[/img]

I used to like this. I'll always remember the name Kevin Toms!
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, November 14, 2014, 12:54am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Abdul19
[img]http://thingsiwastedtoomuchtimeon.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/footballmanager_4.jpg[/img]

I used to like this. I'll always remember the name Kevin Toms!

this game was the mutts nutts. many a hours spent playing this. as well as many hours trying to get it to load. that speccy loading noise still haunts me to this day haha.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 14, 2014, 12:56am; Reply: 10

this game was the mutts nutts. many a hours spent playing this. as well as many hours trying to get it to load. that speccy loading noise still haunts me to this day haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW2oAaU6YwY

;D
Posted by: hertfordshire mariner, November 14, 2014, 2:50am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Abdul19

You swine :-) plus 2a, that's even the same bloody model I had. Black one with built in tape deck, aposed to the plus2 that was gray.

Oh how I miss mashing the p & o keys on daily thompsons super test. Or aiming the light gun about 55 light years off target and still taking out the Rambo look a likes on operation wolf  ;D
Posted by: Meza, November 14, 2014, 7:52am; Reply: 12
Haha yeah i had Emlyn Hughes you could edit the whole team.  Also had FM 1,2 & 3  those were the days.
Posted by: Rick12, November 14, 2014, 9:06am; Reply: 13
Playing football manager 2014 and got Grimsby promoted to league 2 .Hovering amongst the playoffs all season and after a slump of 3 defeats almost got the sack.Turnaround in fortunes come April and I went on a winning streak and got the club promoted and it could of gone either way at the last game of the season.
    Was thinking about buying football manager 2015 but think will leave it as some of the reviews are no different from football manager 2014.Will probably wait around 3 years before I buy the next installment
Posted by: prestonmariner, November 14, 2014, 11:14am; Reply: 14
Massive fan of the series, and always like to get the latest version.

Not with Town on this one, i like to start from right at the bottom and work my way up.

Currently with Barrow (don't ask why) in my third season, and i'm top of the Conference undefeated after 10 games.

Andy Cook & Dayle Southwell up top, with John McDermott as my right hand man!

Posted by: GyMariner, November 14, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 15
Does the handheld version on the App Store get released later or something? Can't find it!
Posted by: biggles9999, November 14, 2014, 3:52pm; Reply: 16
Try signing Basile Karagiannis (sp) still playing for me in my early days in L2 at the moment.
Posted by: RichMariner, November 14, 2014, 11:51pm; Reply: 17
I'm a fan of the series too. This new version is good, but a lot of goals seem to come from crosses or keepers parrying shots and attackers following them up.

Get quick wingers who can cross, exploit the flanks and have one striker who's good at heading and another striker who's good at finishing. Not sure if it's a bug in the system but it seems uncomplicated this time round.

Still, it's always great to get the latest version and explore the Town team! Managed to get Dmitry Kharin as my goalkeeper coach. McKeown seems happy with it!
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 15, 2014, 2:34pm; Reply: 18
well, i came to this thread in 'bah humbug' mode; games like this are a waste of time. That's partly RichMariner's fault as for a time a few years ago, he used to tell me how good every opposition player was on Champ Man  zzzzzzz ;-)

but then Abdul reminded me of Football Manager on the amstrad, in the last century, and in turn, Emlyn Hughes' soccer, and wow, nostalgia took over. Happy days!

Thanks chaps; I feel OLD!!! ;-)
Posted by: Rick12, November 15, 2014, 2:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
well, i came to this thread in 'bah humbug' mode; games like this are a waste of time. That's partly RichMariner's fault as for a time a few years ago, he used to tell me how good every opposition player was on Champ Man  zzzzzzz ;-)

but then Abdul reminded me of Football Manager on the amstrad, in the last century, and in turn, Emlyn Hughes' soccer, and wow, nostalgia took over. Happy days!

Thanks chaps; I feel OLD!!! ;-)
Use to play the old champ game a lot but the new ones are a massive improvement in my opinion.Give it a go think you wont be dissapointed

Posted by: Meza, November 15, 2014, 2:41pm; Reply: 20
I still play sensible soccer every now and then on my pc i have a C64 emulater lol
Posted by: Rick12, November 15, 2014, 2:54pm; Reply: 21
Crikey remmeber the C64s.Going back a bit though  ;)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 15, 2014, 5:30pm; Reply: 22
FM15 for £20 on here for another day:

https://www.g2a.com/weeklysale

scroll down for football manager
Posted by: RichMariner, November 16, 2014, 10:23pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
That's partly RichMariner's fault as for a time a few years ago, he used to tell me how good every opposition player was on Champ Man  zzzzzzz ;-)

And I still would!

Pretty sure football clubs use its database now. I remember reading about it a while ago.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 16, 2014, 11:19pm; Reply: 24
I got us up to League 1 on FM14. Liam Hearn and Lenny scored a hat full and then I signed James Constable and Omar Bogle, who scored a few. Signed Pond and Boyce in addition to Pearson and also signed some people called Tootle (Right back), Harley (Midfielder),Harrison Dunk, James Norwood and Jimmy Ryan. Gonna get FM15 for Christmas and hopefully guide us to BPL glory. Lol
Posted by: Youngy, November 18, 2014, 11:16am; Reply: 25
Won the title by 14 points in my first season on 2015, 2 games into League 2. Drew them both 4-4 and 2-2. Don't think I have played a 0-0 game, seems a little too easy to score and conceed.

Lenny scored me 30 in my promotion season and Arnold (playing as an inside right) scored 20. Sold Macca for £500k and signed Damian Reeves and Sam Newton as well as Christian Jolly and Louis Dobbs
Posted by: RichMariner, November 18, 2014, 11:23am; Reply: 26
I think there's a few bugs in the match engine on FM15, which explains some of the high scores. I'm only into September and I've already had 7-0, 7-1 and 4-4! Not only that, but I saw Alfreton win a game 8-2!

It's impossible to engineer a 0-0. I haven't had one yet either.

It's a shame really - I was reading an FM forum last night and there are loads of fans unhappy about the game being released when it has so many obvious flaws. It desperately needs patching in that respect.

Otherwise it looks and feels pretty good. Not too sure I understand why they're forever trying to squeeze more press conferences into things, though.
Posted by: Rick12, November 18, 2014, 12:02pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I got us up to League 1 on FM14. Liam Hearn and Lenny scored a hat full and then I signed James Constable and Omar Bogle, who scored a few. Signed Pond and Boyce in addition to Pearson and also signed some people called Tootle (Right back), Harley (Midfielder),Harrison Dunk, James Norwood and Jimmy Ryan. Gonna get FM15 for Christmas and hopefully guide us to BPL glory. Lol
One who done well for me was John Lewis.After a shaky start banged in a fair few goals for me.Got rid of Hearn as he wasn't really doing the business. Kerr and Neilson were my main men  ;)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 18, 2014, 12:09pm; Reply: 28
Just beat Bristol Rovers 3-2 in the play off final, they beat us 1-0 in the FA Trophy final so I'll take that. I was jumping around the room hugging the terrified cat when Lenny banged in our 89th minute winner! Now, I'm under pressure from the wife to get jobs done around the house but she doesn't understand I am planning for league 2.
Posted by: Rick12, November 18, 2014, 12:12pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 75
Just beat Bristol Rovers 3-2 in the play off final, they beat us 1-0 in the FA Trophy final so I'll take that. I was jumping around the room hugging the terrified cat when Lenny banged in our 89th minute winner! Now, I'm under pressure from the wife to get jobs done around the house but she doesn't understand I am planning for league 2.
I understand. Great feeling when you get Town promoted from the conference  :)

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 26, 2014, 2:06am; Reply: 30
FM 2015 DLC for $1 (I have no idea if that is any use)

but pay just over the average ($3.45 atm) and get a really great game... Empire: Total War

https://www.humblebundle.com/?logo&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=028c1eee09-Humble_SEGA_Bundle&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-028c1eee09-96059273

Trust me, Empire is worth it
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 26, 2014, 10:27pm; Reply: 31
Second season (2015/16). Just guided Town to a second consecutive FA Trophy but more importantly promotion to League Two via the playoffs. Lenny scored the winner on 116 minutes after Wrexham had equalised with the last kick of normal time which sent the tie into extra time at 3-3.
Posted by: Freemoash88, November 27, 2014, 8:05am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
FM 2015 DLC for $1 (I have no idea if that is any use)

but pay just over the average ($3.45 atm) and get a really great game... Empire: Total War

https://www.humblebundle.com/?logo&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_campaign=028c1eee09-Humble_SEGA_Bundle&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_990b1b6399-028c1eee09-96059273

Trust me, Empire is worth it

I agree mate I got all the total war games the new Rome game is shambles the original is the best.

Have you got Darth Mod for empire ?

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 27, 2014, 9:39am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Freemoash88

I agree mate I got all the total war games the new Rome game is shambles the original is the best.

Have you got Darth Mod for empire ?

yeah I got Rome 2 at launch....waste of money. Not tried it since the "Emperor" edition / patch

Empire Darth Mod is great!
Posted by: gtfc98, November 27, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 34
Need a few recommendations for signings for first season with the mariners on FM2015 please!
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 27, 2014, 6:09pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from gtfc98
Need a few recommendations for signings for first season with the mariners on FM2015 please!

I didn't sign any players in the first season. Had a goalkeeper on loan when Macca was injured but that was it.

A player you may be able to get and I highly recommend you do is Joe English (striker - poacher). He's with Swindon at the start of the game and will be available on loan I imagine (out of contract in July 2015). In his first season (my second - promotion to League Two - season) he scored 20 goals in 36 games. I also signed Andrew Boyce on a free when his contract at Scunny ran out in July 2015. He should be available on loan if you need cover. Also signed Chris Arthur (left winger) on a free in summer of 2015 from Wimbledon after he returned from being on loan at Woking. He starts at Woking so doubtful you'll get him.

Towards the end of my second season I brought in two central midfielders on loan: Jake Hessenthaler from Gillingham and Dominic Gape from Southampton. Both very good players. Hessenthaler is a box-to-box midfielder while Gape plays best when used in the central role.

Formation most used for first season was 4-3-2-1. Macca, Magnay, Toto, Pearson, Thomas - Clay, Brown, Disley - Neilson, Arnold - LJL. Lenny scored 27 in 49 games.

Second season (4-4-2): Macca - Magnay, Toto, Pearson, Thomas - Neilson, Hessenthaler, Clay, Mackreth - LJL (DL), English.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 27, 2014, 6:47pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from WappingMariner

Formation most used for first season was 4-3-2-1. Macca, Magnay, Toto, Pearson, Thomas - Clay, Brown, Disley - Neilson, Arnold - LJL. Lenny scored 27 in 49 games.

Second season (4-4-2): Macca - Magnay, Toto, Pearson, Thomas - Neilson, Hessenthaler, Clay, Mackreth - LJL (DL), English.

How many times.....stop messing about with the formation!
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 27, 2014, 7:44pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

How many times.....stop messing about with the formation!

It's important to rotate, Woz. Mourinho does it you know...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 27, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 38
Am not having the same argument at work and on here ;)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 28, 2014, 12:15pm; Reply: 39
Not sure if already posted elsewhere, but their is a competition on the Grimsby Town website, you can win one of 10 copies of Football Manager 2015.
Quoted from Grimsby Town Official Website | 27th November 2014
WE'VE got 10 copies of Football Manager 2015 to giveaway. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning a copy of the game is subscribe to our Official Youtube channel. It's totally free and it will only take you a couple of minutes to join us.

10 winners will be selected at random on and notified when the competition closes at 10pm on Monday 1st December.  

Subscribe to our Official Youtube channel at [url=www.youtube.com/officialgtfc]www.youtube.com/officialgtfc[/url]

Football Manager 2015 (PC) is also available in the Grimsby Town club shop priced at just £20.
Read more at [url=http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/win-a-copy-of-fm-2015-2083658.aspx#p1J8X5QBQuheeS6P.99]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/win-a-copy-of-fm-2015-2083658.aspx#p1J8X5QBQuheeS6P.99[/url]
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 28, 2014, 12:18pm; Reply: 40
only £20 from the club shop....i think that is possibly the cheapest price online or high street
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 28, 2014, 12:49pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
only £20 from the club shop....i think that is possibly the cheapest price online or high street
£15 on the Kidderminster Harriers web shop >> [url=http://www.harriers.co.uk/news/article/141114-football-manager-15-2083815.aspx]http://www.harriers.co.uk/news/article/141114-football-manager-15-2083815.aspx[/url]

Would rather give the extra £5 to Grimsby Town, but if you want the best deal that's where it's at currently.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 28, 2014, 12:55pm; Reply: 42
Is there a great deal of difference between the PC and iPad versions?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 28, 2014, 12:59pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
£15 on the Kidderminster Harriers web shop >> [url=http://www.harriers.co.uk/news/article/141114-football-manager-15-2083815.aspx]http://www.harriers.co.uk/news/article/141114-football-manager-15-2083815.aspx[/url]

Would rather give the extra £5 to Grimsby Town, but if you want the best deal that's where it's at currently.

"you too could soon be putting all Harriers' players up for sale, loaning our stars out, making staff redundant and beating Grimsby Town on their own turf. All in a week's work!"
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 6:56am