Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 11, 2014, 11:38pm
Just been asked elsewhere about grounds that I've watched the Mariners at which are now defunct or don't host football anymore. I couldn't really believe how many there were. 40 lost football grounds!

Ayresome Park, Baseball Ground, Belle Vue, Boothferry Park, Burnden Park, Christie Park, Church Road, Don Valley, Elm Park, Feethams, Fellows Park, Filbert St, Gay Meadow, Highbury, Highfield Road, Layer Rd, Leeds Rd, Millmoor, Nene Park, Odsal Stadium, Plough Lane, Rockingham Road, Roker Park, Saltergate, Sealand Road, Springfield Park, Spytty Park,The County Ground (Northampton), The Darlington Arena, The Den, The Goldstone Ground, The Manor Ground, The McCain Stadium, The National Hockey Stadium, The Old Show Ground, The Victoria Ground, Underhill, Vetch Field, Watling Street, and Wembley (Old).
Posted by: northbankmariner, November 12, 2014, 2:04am; Reply: 1
Impressive les, in comparison I have managed a paltry 18 of those you have listed,can't think of any others off the top of my head. It shows you just how many clubs have moved on.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 12, 2014, 6:24am; Reply: 2
Surprised the dell or ninian park didn't make it onto the list les. Very impressive all the same
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 12, 2014, 7:24am; Reply: 3
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Surprised the dell or ninian park didn't make it onto the list les. Very impressive all the same

We haven't played Southampton since the late 70's Woz and I wasn't going away regularly by then and we haven't played Cardiff since the mid 80's. I can remember the last season we played them though when we won 4-2 there and beat them 6-3 at home. I had started to go to away games by then but for some reason I never went to Cardiff.

The one that I did miss which I regret is that I never managed to see Town at was Maine Road,
Posted by: carrot top, November 12, 2014, 7:55am; Reply: 4
Been to 22 of those
Posted by: LH, November 12, 2014, 8:29am; Reply: 5
Adams Park is still used isn't it?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 12, 2014, 8:40am; Reply: 6
See what you mean les. Went to ninian a few times while at uni. Proper old school ground. Rough area though!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 12, 2014, 8:58am; Reply: 7
Quoted from LH
Adams Park is still used isn't it?

Yeah, it is. For some reason I was thinking that Wycombe had moved to another new ground.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 12, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 8
Been to 22 of those, and maine rd
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 12, 2014, 10:06am; Reply: 9
I think i went to Somerton Park ( Newport County ) to follow Town in the early eighties.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 12, 2014, 10:19am; Reply: 10
yep been there too
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 12, 2014, 10:24am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah, it is. For some reason I was thinking that Wycombe had moved to another new ground.

They tried, but there's a town fan living there so it put the kibosh on it!
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, November 12, 2014, 11:15am; Reply: 12
19 on that list for me although two were watching Arsenal not Town! Highbury and Highfield Road. Loved watching town away  late 80s and through 90's, favourite away day was Plough Lane, despite result it was amazing atmosphere and build up. Buses from Peter Sheffield, Applebys GCT all traveling down A1 and service stations awash with Town Fans. Getting on Tube at Stanmore with basically the whole of Grimsby queuing up for what seemed ages to get in ground and Town fans outnumbering home fans and of course the inflatables!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 12, 2014, 11:27am; Reply: 13
Only been to 11 of those  plus Main Road.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 12, 2014, 11:46am; Reply: 14
28 on that list plus the Dell & Maine Road. Cant think if there are anymore?
Posted by: barralad, November 12, 2014, 4:58pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from BIGChris
28 on that list plus the Dell & Maine Road. Cant think if there are anymore?

Maine Road and that athletics stadium Brighton used to use before they moved to Falmer for me. Oh and I went to Bournemouth when the pitch faced the other way-does that count?
Posted by: Richard Cranium, November 13, 2014, 9:34am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin
Just been asked elsewhere about grounds that I've watched the Mariners at which are now defunct or don't host football anymore. I couldn't really believe how many there were. 40 lost football grounds!

Ayresome Park, Baseball Ground, Belle Vue, Boothferry Park, Burnden Park, Christie Park, Church Road, Don Valley, Elm Park, Feethams, Fellows Park, Filbert St, Gay Meadow, Highbury, Highfield Road, Layer Rd, Leeds Rd, Millmoor, Nene Park, Odsal Stadium, Plough Lane, Rockingham Road, Roker Park, Saltergate, Sealand Road, Springfield Park, Spytty Park,The County Ground (Northampton), The Darlington Arena, The Den, The Goldstone Ground, The Manor Ground, The McCain Stadium, The National Hockey Stadium, The Old Show Ground, The Victoria Ground, Underhill, Vetch Field, Watling Street, and Wembley (Old).

Been to 35 of those. Didn't make Odsal, Fellows Park, Sealand Road, Goldstone Ground or Watling Street due to work
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 13, 2014, 4:05pm; Reply: 17
Not as many as I thought: about 18 plus Maine Road. My mind is slowly going, so I can't even remember where I've been in the morning, let alone 40 years ago!
Posted by: Belfast Town, November 13, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 18
20 plus Maine Road. Quite shocking really to see how many have gone away.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 14, 2014, 7:42am; Reply: 19
Haven't made many of the new ones since moving north but can include Park Avenue, home of Bradford Park Avenue up until 1973. Proper ground, built by Leitch.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 14, 2014, 8:08am; Reply: 20
All this talk of 'Old Football Grounds' has reminded me of a great book i bought in the 1980s,

THE
                               FOOTBALL GROUNDS
                           OF ENGLAND AND WALES
                                     SIMON INGLIS

WILLOW BOOKS 1983

In it is a picture of Blundell Park showing the new Findus Stand, total cost £425,000.
Posted by: mike_d, November 14, 2014, 8:27am; Reply: 21
After they move to the Olympic Stadium, can you add West Ham's ground to that?
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 14, 2014, 8:30am; Reply: 22
Quoted from mike_d
After they move to the Olympic Stadium, can you add West Ham's ground to that?

And Tottenham's and Chelsea's if they get their way.

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 14, 2014, 9:19am; Reply: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

And Tottenham's and Chelsea's if they get their way.

White Hart Lane is one of only 4 of the 156 grounds I've been to where I haven't seen Town. I went when they beat Man Utd 3-1 on the Saturday after 2 Big Keef goals had given us a 2-0 win at Sarfend on the Friday night.

The other 3 grounds are Old Trafford and The COMS Etihad (both England) and Chesterfields new ground. I met up with a few Exeter mates there a couple of seasons ago. It was their last game of the season and was the day before the 2nd leg of the play-offs at Newport.
Posted by: barralad, November 14, 2014, 12:22pm; Reply: 24

Some memories here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07__EgstYus
Posted by: moosey_club, November 14, 2014, 6:37pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

Woodlands?  ;)
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:35pm