Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BIGChris, November 9, 2014, 4:46pm
I didn't disagree with the selections for Saturday but when I saw the tea sheets I assumed we would play 4-4-2 with Mackreth on the right, Arnold left and Pittman & Shop up top.

Thinking of how we have lined up during our winning run I'd be tempted to go with the following (assuming Magnay is fit & Brown isn't)

McKeown

manay.      Toto.                Pearson.            Thomas

Parslow

Disley

Mackreth.                                                  Arnold

Nielson

John-Lewis

Subs; Bignot, Clay, Pittman, McLaughlin, Hannah

Not too bothered if Clay gets the nod ahead of Disley but Dizzas heading ability could be useful

It is vital we get the ball down and pass and move at a good tempo. Attack them at pace
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, November 9, 2014, 5:05pm; Reply: 1
I think Magnay in at full back with Parslow holding in midfield is very likely. Hurst seemed to suggest that's what he'd have liked to do yesterday.
No Pell?
Posted by: BIGChris, November 9, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I think Magnay in at full back with Parslow holding in midfield is very likely. Hurst seemed to suggest that's what he'd have liked to do yesterday.
No Pell?

Forgot about him! If we are going for it he competes with Disley or Clay.

It could be that Nielson comes in wide left and Arnold is on the bench. That would allow for another central midfielder such as Pell
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 5:30pm; Reply: 3
4-1-1-2-1-1 ?
In any case not for me Chris sorry !

That said...
I'm sure Pell has plenty to offer but unsure if he deserves a starting berth or not.
I'll chew it over but right now I'd guess no and guess Disley should start too.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 9, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 4
I'd have a midfield of Pell, clay and Disley. Neilson and Pittman roaming behind the shop.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 5
To be fair I see what you're doing though, I'm coming round to a similar sort of idea.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I'd have a midfield of Pell, clay and Disley. Neilson and Pittman roaming behind the shop.

4-3-2-1 ?
Posted by: BIGChris, November 9, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 120797
4-1-1-2-1-1 ?
In any case not for me Chris sorry !

That said...
I'm sure Pell has plenty to offer but unsure if he deserves a starting berth or not.
I'll chew it over but right now I'd guess no and guess Disley should start too.

Think it is known as a diamond formation but with a holding midfielder behind them  ;)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 8
I thought it was 2 holding midfielders ! ;)
Not that I haven't done the same lol.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 5:51pm; Reply: 9
It's a tricky one IMO.
I'm off to watch the Halifax game...
Posted by: Maringer, November 9, 2014, 6:03pm; Reply: 10
BIGChris's selection looks to me to be a similar formation to that tried against Oxford - more or less a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders then three others playing behind the lone striker. Unfortunately, the holding two didn't do nearly well enough against Oxford. Perhaps a change in personnel (and less capable opposition) could make it work a bit better. Arnold certainly didn't seem to know where he should have been playing much of the time yesterday.

I think the idea of playing Neilson in behind LJL is a good one as he certainly has the ability to cause the opposition problems and can twist and turn either way. However, this might as well be a 4-4-1-1 as much as anything else more complicated! I just hope that the other midfielders can sort themselves out on Tuesday night and we need to defend a hell of a lot better than yesterday.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 11
McKeown

Disley     Clay   Parslow

Nielson                Arnold

John-Lewis

Subs; Bignot, Pell, Pittman, McLaughlin, Mackreth
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Maringer
BIGChris's selection looks to me to be a similar formation to that tried against Oxford - more or less a 4-2-3-1 with two holding midfielders then three others playing behind the lone striker. Unfortunately, the holding two didn't do nearly well enough against Oxford. Perhaps a change in personnel (and less capable opposition) could make it work a bit better. Arnold certainly didn't seem to know where he should have been playing much of the time yesterday.

I think the idea of playing Neilson in behind LJL is a good one as he certainly has the ability to cause the opposition problems and can twist and turn either way. However, this might as well be a 4-4-1-1 as much as anything else more complicated! I just hope that the other midfielders can sort themselves out on Tuesday night and we need to defend a hell of a lot better than yesterday.

Some good points.

I was thinking along the lines of a 4-2-3-1 too. (or at least with 2 flat midfielders)

Thing is, perhaps you've got to be careful....
Is 4-2-3-1....

4-5-1 or 4-2-4 ?
i.e. are "three others playing behind the lone striker" up front or in midfield ?

I thought they were more up front than in midfield at times yesterday and it looked more like 4-2-4 at times too.

Do we really need TWO holding midfielders ? (by this I mean -  if they're "sat just in front of the back 4"...)

I'm wondering standard 4-1-4-1 right now tbh.
However the 4-4-1-1 (and Chris's suggestion of playing Neilson behind LJL) looks another worthy option too.
If I remember correctly we beat Welling playing a 4-4-1-1 with Neilson in behind Pittman ?

It's all interesting stuff !  :)  (and Grimsby finest's formation (and headingly's too apologies mate !)  looks food for thought too !)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 9, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 1739
McKeown

Disley     Clay   Parslow

Nielson                Arnold

John-Lewis

Subs; Bignot, Pell, Pittman, McLaughlin, Mackreth

I would go with this,

BUT

I would have Macca in the middle of the goal, he is leaving a big space at his far post playing there. ;)

Posted by: moosey_club, November 9, 2014, 7:14pm; Reply: 14
It will be 4-5-1 with the shop on his own, Hurst has tried to be positive and it didnt work so he now has the justification to play one up and keep it tight and hope something comes off. Obviously post match he will insist it was a 4-3-3.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 15
Just provisionally, I'd maybe go with this....

...........................McKeown
Magnay.........Toto..........Pearson......Thomas
...........................Parslow
Mackreth......Clay............Disley.........Arnold
.........................John-Lewis

Subs: Bignot, Paddy, Pell, Neilson, Pittman.

However that central midfield 3 could be any number of different combinations.
Take your pick !
Clay v Pell v Disley ? I'll leave it to Hurst !

However I'd even consider sticking Neilson as one of those central / attacking midfielders (at some point) in a free roaming type role.
Under the assumption we can maybe afford to risk that with a "holding midfielder" already sat there in front on the back 4.
And if e.g. Clay drops to cover too, then it looks like a 4-2-3-1 (similar to Chris's idea perhaps... ?)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 7:20pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club
It will be 4-5-1 with the shop on his own, Hurst has tried to be positive and it didnt work so he now has the justification to play one up and keep it tight and hope something comes off. Obviously post match he will insist it was a 4-3-3.

You know the solution !  ;)
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2014, 7:27pm; Reply: 17
What if Brown is fit? Would folk bring him back in?
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 18
In principle yes but so hard to judge without knowing HOW fit he is.
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 19
Bit of a cop-out. Presume he's fit. Does he play? Who makes way?
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 9, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 20
We are playing at home so 4-5-1 should not even be considered ,

What about this,                                                        Macca

Magnay               Toto                      Pearson       Thomas

Parslow

Mackreth                Clay            Arnold

Neilson

John Lewis      
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 21
For what it's worth (not much), I'd play Brown if fit. I'd have 3 in midfield, with Nielson jest behind LJL and Pitman. I haven't seen the last 2 games and haven't seen Pell play. I haven't seen Parslow play in centre midfield either (although I've seen him play in defence a lot), so I'd choose Brown, McLaughlin and either Disley or Pell tomorrow night. Disley or Pell to sit.

I think it's a very difficult one to call for the manager.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 9, 2014, 7:58pm; Reply: 22
I think Neilson has to play - he was superb against them in the first half at The Shay, and when he comes back after being dropped plays with a bit of a point to prove. Whether it's on the left or behind LJL is another matter!
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2014, 8:02pm; Reply: 23
I agree. Halifax will be fearful of him and he should play on the basis of the problems he caused them last time. BC made the same point earlier.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from chaos33
Bit of a cop-out. Presume he's fit.

Think you're just being disagreeable and missing the point.

If he's 100% fully fit (which I doubt based on Hurst's comments right now + he certainly won't be "match fit") then I'd maybe go with Parslow, Dis and Brown.
However think is one that firmly fits into the "Hurst knows best" category.

Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, November 9, 2014, 8:09pm; Reply: 25
If Magnay is fit then I think Parslow will drop to the bench. We have plenty of other options for midfield.
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 120797

Think you're just being disagreeable and missing the point.

If he's 100% fully fit (which I doubt based on Hurst's comments right now + he certainly won't be "match fit") then I'd maybe go with Parslow, Dis and Brown.
However think is one that firmly fits into the "Hurst knows best" category.

:) ok. Well spotted. Plus 1 for you.
Posted by: chaos33, November 9, 2014, 8:14pm; Reply: 27
If Magnay is fit then I think Parslow will drop to the bench. We have plenty of other options for midfield.

Too many options perhaps? One of those so-called 'nice problems' to have.

A few people seeming to think that Clay might perhaps be susceptible to replacement based on the last few games?
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from chaos33
Few people seeming to think that Clay might perhaps be susceptible to replacement based on the last few games?

I thought he started very well on Saturday but personally think there's a case he doesn't have a divine right to start.
That said, think he offers energy with his runs going forward.
Posted by: bradzmilne, November 9, 2014, 8:25pm; Reply: 29
Personally I feel Hursty should be trying to find a way that we could fit Neilson and Arnold into the same system without being too exposed at the back. For me they are 2 of the best attacking threats in the conference so its a real shame that we have to leave one out. Slot Parslow back into that CDM role and bring Pell straight back into the team.

I've had a play around with different formations and personally I can't fit them all in
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 9, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from 120797

4-3-2-1 ?

I would say so, but Hurst played those three together in a couple of ways and that is the most dangerous we have been all season when those three have played together.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 9, 2014, 8:30pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from bradzmilne
I've had a play around with different formations and personally I can't fit them all in

;D
That's what I meant by tricky...
If you're not a Mackreth fan, you could put Arnold on the right wing.
But like Neilson, whether that suits him or not...

Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 9, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 32
McKeown

Magnay
Toto
Pearson
Aza

Parslow
Disley
Clay

Arnold
Lenny
Neilson

Bench: Bignot, Pell,McLaughlin, MacKreth, Pittman
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, November 10, 2014, 12:24am; Reply: 33
                    McKeown

Magnay Toto  Pearson Thomas

Arnold Disley/Brown Clay Neilson

LJL Pittman

Parslow, Paddy, Pell, Mackreth, Hannah
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 10, 2014, 1:00am; Reply: 34
Not suggesting we go with this at all, but have been thinking of a more attacking alternative.

3 at the back may solve bradzmilne's problem of "fitting them all in".
This means if we want "big defenders" we've still got them.

One example...  

......................McKeown
.........Toto........Pearson.....Magnay
.......................Parslow
.Mackreth.....XXX......XXX........Arnold
................Pittman...John-Lewis

Obviously you also can tweak this formation "up top" from 3-1-4-2 to a 3-1-4-1-1 with Neilson in behind LJL if you prefer.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 10, 2014, 1:31am; Reply: 35
Quoted from grimsby pete
We are playing at home so 4-5-1 should not even be considered ,

What about this,                                                        Macca

Magnay               Toto                      Pearson       Thomas

Parslow

Mackreth                Clay            Arnold

Neilson

John Lewis      

Interesting Pete !

Maybe it boils down to whether you think Mackreth and Arnold could cause (or could be caused) problems running from a more central midfield position ?

Whether we may need more width or not I don't know.
But I certainly thought myself it was worth at least considering Neilson (i.e. similar to YOUR Mackreth & Arnold) in a similar more central / attacking midfield role too.

And you've gone with all 3 attacking players with the knowledge at least there's a defensive midfielder like Parslow there as some sort of cover.

I see where you're coming from...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 10, 2014, 1:49am; Reply: 36
Lots of good formations and suggestions from everyone on this thread.
All we need to do now is to agree which is best, tell Hurst and we've cracked it ! ;)
Posted by: brad_gtfc, November 10, 2014, 2:53am; Reply: 37
              Macca

Magnay  Toto  Pearson  Thomas

Disley
           Clay          Pell

Arnold                             Nielson
                   LJL.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 10, 2014, 9:51am; Reply: 38
                                                                       Macca

Magnay                               Toto                                      Pearson                              Thomas

Pell                             Clay

Pittman                                          Nielson                                  Arnold

Shop up top
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 10, 2014, 10:17am; Reply: 39
Quoted from brad_gtfc
              Macca

Disley
           Clay          Pell

LJL.

This for me. But definitely as a 433 more than a 451. With a very high press.
Posted by: fiveallive, November 10, 2014, 12:05pm; Reply: 40
Mckeown

Parslow
Nsiala
Pearson
Thomas

Mackreth
Pell
Clay
Arnold

Neilson

John-Lewis

Doig
Magnay or Bignot
Disley
Pittman
Hannah.

I have picked this team 4-4-1-1 but could turn to a 4-5-1 when on defense, i don't know how fit Magnay is so i have gone for Parslow at RB and Pell in midfield with Clay just for his ability to get stuck and legs in midfield, Disley could come on last 20 mins if we need a goal, playing Neilson is a must he was the best player on the pitch at Halifax
Posted by: pizzzza, November 10, 2014, 12:27pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from brad_gtfc
              Macca

Disley
           Clay          Pell

LJL.

This is closest to what PH will actually play.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, November 10, 2014, 12:36pm; Reply: 42
                                                                         Macca

Magney                              Parslow                                          Pearson                         Thomas

Disley

Pell                                                   Clay

Mackreth                                                                                                        Neilson

Shop

Posted by: Chrisblor, November 10, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 43
Neilson has to start in a free role behind LJL. Halifax really struggled to cope with him playing there in the away fixture.
Posted by: Tommy, November 10, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 44
                 McKeown

Magnay   Toto   Pearson   Thomas

Pell   Parslow   Clay

Neilson

Pittman   LJL

But, bearing in mind the current favoured shape:

McKeown  

Magnay    Toto   Pearson    Thomas

Parslow
            Pell                       Clay

Arnold                                        Neilson
                           LJL  
Posted by: Garth, November 10, 2014, 2:03pm; Reply: 45
No Hannah featuring in any of those teams, surprising really although his goal tally has been equalled by Pearson
Posted by: DocTower, November 10, 2014, 2:28pm; Reply: 46
Just keep it simple , all these formations permutations , who's fit ?  
Brown can't play with Disley ,
Are we attacking or defending ?
Are we shooting or walking the ball into the net ?
Are we all going to have another off day ?  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 10, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 47
Pearson and Maynard are strong for them in midfield.  Maynard likes to get forward and scored against Bradford.    We need to counter this.  I would like to see Pell, Clay and Disley in midfield.  The latter for his experience.  The first 2 mainly for their energy. (Assuming Brown is not fit).

Neilson must start.  He was very active when he came on last Sat.  He has a point to prove and also gave Halifax numerous problems in the first half of the away game.

The rest is hard to pick.  Not sure that Arnold can play wide (well he didn't first half on Sat). Playing both him and Pittman is a luxury in a key game.  They both want to play in the same pace.

I cam live without Pittman for this game.  The key aim is to boss the midfield.  We are unlikely to do this if we are (ironically) too forward -thinking.

(It is nice for Hurst to have a number of good options).
Posted by: Meza, November 10, 2014, 3:51pm; Reply: 48
If they play the same formation then the width will cause them loads of problems in a 4-5-1.
Posted by: Grimal, November 10, 2014, 4:58pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters
                                                                       Macca

Magnay                               Toto                                      Pearson                              Thomas

Pell                             Clay

Pittman                                          Nielson                                  Arnold

Shop up top

I like this formation but would have Parslow in for Thomas. Not many had a good game on Saturday but thought Thomas was very poor.

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 50
With Hurst saying we had a too adventuress side on the pitch against Oxford,

I think he will go over defensive against Halifax and put this team out,

Macca

Bignot  Magnay  Toto Doig  Pearson  Humble  Thomas

Parslow      Disley

John Lewis
Posted by: Grimal, November 10, 2014, 7:33pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from grimsby pete
With Hurst saying we had a too adventuress side on the pitch against Oxford,

I think he will go over defensive against Halifax and put this team out,

Macca

Bignot  Magnay  Toto Doig  Pearson  Humble  Thomas

Parslow      Disley

John Lewis

Humble has gone out on load to Matlock Pete.

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Grimal

Humble has gone out on load to Matlock Pete.

Well we had better get him back, we need him. ;D
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 11, 2014, 12:47am; Reply: 53
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Not sure that Arnold can play wide (well he didn't first half on Sat). Playing both him and Pittman is a luxury in a key game.  They both want to play in the same pace.

Don't think you need to worry if they both play in a 4-4-2.
Guess Arnold would be wide (as he's generally been all season) and Pittman would be up front.

Posted by: psgmariner, November 11, 2014, 1:32pm; Reply: 54
Brown is fit isn't he?

As in available to play not dishy.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Trio-fit-available-battle-Shaymen/story-24512795-detail/story.html

Hope he starts.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 11, 2014, 2:07pm; Reply: 55
Tough game tonight. Halifax have been consistently near the top of the table since their promotion.

Hard to play against. Get it into the box and put you under pressure. They will try and isolate Thomas in the air at the far post so he needs to have his wits about him and concentrate for 90+ mins. In Boden they have a class act imo, would have liked us to have tried to get him (maybe we did? )

However we are capable of beating them for the first time at this level if we play football, pass quickly and accurately. As posted elsewhere Nielsen destroyed them for long periods at their place and he, Arnold, Pittman (whoever plays) can make the difference.

Close game but i am hoping the crowd and players are up for this one and we claim the 3 points

UTM
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 11, 2014, 2:16pm; Reply: 56
GK Mckeown
LB Thomas
RB Magnay
CB Toto, Pearson
CM Pell, Clay, Brown
Front 3 Neilson, Shop, Arnold

Subs Parslow, Disley, Pittmann, JM, Bignot
Posted by: GorgeousGeorge, November 11, 2014, 3:55pm; Reply: 57
I really struggle with the concept of playing with two wingers when we don't have any forwards who are noted for heading ability, or surging midfielders.  All that seems to happen is that one or both become isolated, spend 90 minutes as a secondary full-back or go missing in the games.  4-3-1-2 for me with Scotty being the '1'.  The midfield 3 being Pell, Disley or Clay, Parslow.  Back 4 picks itself, upfront Lenny plus anyone but offside Ross.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 11, 2014, 4:16pm; Reply: 58
Hard to come up with a side/formation that hasn't been suggested except by resting the Shop!

Macca
Magnay       Toto        Pearson     Thomas
                        Parslow
               Pell                 Brown
                        Nielson
               Pittman        Arnold

Maybe we'll get more joy running at their large defenders than having the Shop battle them all match.
PLUS
It would give BP the chance to give a well-deserved cheer to LJL if he comes on as sub.

VERY much doubt this will happen, of course.  ::)
Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 11, 2014, 4:26pm; Reply: 59
I think the most balanced midfield is Parslow, Disley and Brown. Diz for his goals and leadership, Brown for his energy and creativity and Parslow because it means when Aza goes forward we still have a back 4 and are much more solid.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 11, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I think the most balanced midfield is Parslow, Disley and Brown. Diz for his goals and leadership, Brown for his energy and creativity and Parslow because it means when Aza goes forward we still have a back 4 and are much more solid.

Might as well send Pell back then! I would far rather have Clay and Pell than Parslow and Disley.
Posted by: Meza, November 11, 2014, 7:14pm; Reply: 61
                                  McKeown

Magnay           Toto                  Pearson          Thomas

Brown

Disley                      Pell

Mackreth                                                            Arnold

LJL

Subs

Neilson
Clay
Parslow
Hannah
JPP
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 11, 2014, 7:29pm; Reply: 62
Actual lineup is McKeown, Magnay, Thomas, Pearson, Nsiala, Parslow, Pell, Disley, Neilson, Arnold, John-Lewis.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:38pm