Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, November 8, 2014, 4:33pm
I fear that this afternoon's dismal performance shows just how far we are from being a side good enough to compete in league 2. Oxford are a very average, struggling side, however we have made them look like world beaters !!!

This game has again illustrated Hurst's tactical ineptitude, and whilst recent results have been good, the overall performances have not !

I am afraid that we are a better than average conference side, but not one that would be good enough to survive in the league above !
Posted by: barralad, November 8, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 1
Thanks for that.....
Posted by: big bad bob, November 8, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 2
Here we go....
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, November 8, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 3
My pleasure !
Posted by: AdamHaddock, November 8, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 4
For all the faults we have at the minute, the current squad is a world away from the bunch of losers who took us down. We'd hold our own in that division but that's about it
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 8, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from barralad
Thanks for that.....

;D
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 8, 2014, 5:17pm; Reply: 6
I've no idea why PH decided to switch from 4-3-3 (or more like 4-5-1) to 4-4-2. We needed the top three to push on and stop them playing from the back. No reason at all to change the formation, the extra man in the middle would have helped us get hold of the midfield IMO. Well done to Oxford, they were decent but we don't help ourselves sometimes.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 8, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 7
I'll worry about our ability to compete in League 2 once we're in it.
Posted by: Badger57, November 8, 2014, 5:24pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I'll worry about our ability to compete in League 2 once we're in it.

I shouldn't mate. There's ZERO chance of promotion when we serve up shockingly lacklustre non performances like that! Truly dismal.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 8, 2014, 5:25pm; Reply: 9
It's one game which we were rubbish in, it doesn't really prove anything. Did the Huddersfield game 10 months ago prove we would compete in The Championship?
Posted by: Hagrid, November 8, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 10
The wind up merchants are back
Posted by: Garth, November 8, 2014, 5:29pm; Reply: 11
Oxford deserved the win, bad day at the office I`m afraid we go again Tuesday
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 8, 2014, 5:34pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from barralad
Thanks for that.....

Feel free to dissect the incorrect parts. Rather than lower yourself to the lowly standards of the masses.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 8, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 13
Barnet lost 3-1 at home today to a L2 club but as did we but there'll probably be some non-league teams still in this competion until about R5. Hopefully we'll get knocked out of the FAT early on -it's all part of the PH masterplan  :)
Posted by: sydney, November 8, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 14
Yes im dissapointed, not there today but had inrenet on and we seemded under par..
Would I prefered to win today and lose Tuesday?, no way..
The game on Tuesday is more important I feel to keep up our push for automatic..
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, November 8, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 15
Well let's concentrate on the league, the run in cup cost us IMO last season. With a relatively small squad playing more games risks injuries and suspension so although a good cup run may be good financially a promotion would be do much more beneficial. Onwards and upwards UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 16
We have just won 5 games in a row,

We can not be that bad,

Forget about today, roll on Tuesday.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 8, 2014, 5:51pm; Reply: 17
This time last year we became transfixed with the FA Cup and the league played second fiddle for about 6 weeks, then there was the distraction of the FA Trophy. By the time we got back on track to the most important thing we were playing catch up.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 8, 2014, 6:33pm; Reply: 18
Between entering and exiting last year's FA Cup we picked up 17 points from 8 games.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), November 8, 2014, 6:38pm; Reply: 19
No reality check! we was an average team in a excrement league devoid of any quality before today's game and we will remain so for the foreseeable future.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 8, 2014, 8:07pm; Reply: 20
This time last year Scunthorpe made us look world-beaters.  They went  on to promotion to Division.  The odd game does not provide conclusive evidence of anything.  
Posted by: carrot top, November 8, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 21
Not using him as a scapegoat but I just can't see any good in Makreth, I think he is awful.
When LJL was taken off that is when Hurst gave up.
Outsmarted by an average side
Posted by: GrimRob, November 8, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from 2578
No reality check! we was an average team in a excrement league devoid of any quality before today's game and we will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Strange that such an average team have the second most points and the second best goal difference.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 8, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Abdul19
Between entering and exiting last year's FA Cup we picked up 17 points from 8 games.

Interesting, but how many games did we have postponed?
Posted by: JMT, November 8, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 24
It's the FA Cup, it makes teams play totally different, as we saw last season when we came so close to beating Huddersfield when had we ever looked like that through out the season, perhaps Oxford saw this as a real opportunity to go out there and show there fans what they are capable off and to try and get a good cup run going build some confidence and hopefully get a turn of luck.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 8, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 25
1 (well, 2, but 1 of those was played in the aforementioned time frame!)
Posted by: chaos33, November 8, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimRob
This time last year we became transfixed with the FA Cup and the league played second fiddle for about 6 weeks, then there was the distraction of the FA Trophy. By the time we got back on track to the most important thing we were playing catch up.

Good point I reckon Rob.
Posted by: barralad, November 9, 2014, 12:49am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Civvy at last

Feel free to dissect the incorrect parts. Rather than lower yourself to the lowly standards of the masses.

I didn't say it was incorrect. I was just thanking Sir Matt for his insightful post... :P
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 9, 2014, 7:18am; Reply: 28
Quoted from barralad

I didn't say it was incorrect. I was just thanking Sir Matt for his insightful post... :P

Sorry, and as the yoof say nowadays. 'My bad'

I should have know a scholar and gentleman such as yourself would never stoop that low 😉
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 9, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from carrot top
Not using him as a scapegoat but I just can't see any good in Makreth, I think he is awful.
When LJL was taken off that is when Hurst gave up.
Outsmarted by an average side

I thought taking LJL off when he did was more about making sure we'll have him on Tuesday

He had a yellow and one moment's indiscretion and the ref could have had him off and he'd be facing a ban

You could be right though because at that point Hurst was probably thinking more about Tuesday than what was actually taking place at the time
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 5:00am