Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BIGChris, November 8, 2014, 10:32am
It has been well documented that Appletons side want to pass pass pass it is therefore vital IMO that we play a pressing game to force errors, especially from their defenders. For this reason alone I'd be tempted to play Pittman or even Hannah alongside the shop.

My only fear is we sit off them and let them play. If we get at that, close them down then we will be in 2nd round!

UTM
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 8, 2014, 10:35am; Reply: 1
Totally agree, we need to get at them from the off!  We have the home advantage and let's hope the crowd get behind the boys.

Let's keep this winning momentum going!

UTM
Posted by: Meza, November 8, 2014, 10:44am; Reply: 2
I think they will play counter attacking football and play for a draw due to a depleted squad.  Then they will have their top scorer back for the replay.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 3
We need to start fast and then get faster,

Do not give them a minute to think about anything.
Posted by: MrsMariner, November 8, 2014, 12:43pm; Reply: 4
We need the Gateshead approach, a high tempo pressing game like we took to Gateshead and Oxford wont know whats hit them.
UTM
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 8, 2014, 1:36pm; Reply: 5
I agree, but we wont, it will be 451 with us sitting back and letting them have the ball. :(
Posted by: chaos33, November 8, 2014, 2:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from BIGChris
It has been well documented that Appletons side want to pass pass pass it is therefore vital IMO that we play a pressing game to force errors, especially from their defenders. For this reason alone I'd be tempted to play Pittman or even Hannah alongside the shop.

My only fear is we sit off them and let them play. If we get at that, close them down then we will be in 2nd round!

UTM

Agree totally.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2014, 2:51pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33

Agree totally.

So does Hurst  :)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 8, 2014, 2:54pm; Reply: 8
I'm so glad I'm nearly always wrong being the pessimist that I am. :)
Posted by: ginnywings, November 8, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 9
No tempo today. Sat back and let them run rings round us. Baffling. :(
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 8, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 10
Hmmm,

Don't really like to admit it but maybe Chris deserves a retrospective +1
Posted by: chaos33, November 8, 2014, 9:29pm; Reply: 11
He does. Why don't you like to admit it? He called it, and I think his approach might have been the right one.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 8, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from chaos33
He does. Why don't you like to admit it? He called it, and I think his approach might have been the right one.

No, what we needed to do was play a completely unbalanced squad with square pegs in round holes with untried partnerships all over the field to allow Oxford to cruise through allowing us to concentrate on the trophy and the league...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 8, 2014, 9:38pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from chaos33

Well for me it was more we stood off them at the back.
Still, I think Chris has a valid point - I made the case for Hannah and his "workrate" myself.

To be fair I could hear Macca shouting "hold your line !" (or something).
But we didn't push up on them enough in general and dropped a bit deep.
Think Hurst admitted the latter on RH...?
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 9:01pm