Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 6, 2014, 12:51pm
Just a thought , could it be that LJL will become a Target for a Struggling league two club (Tranmere) in the Transfer window . I know alot of clubs/fans had high opionions of him before his hot run of goals .
Posted by: Meza, November 6, 2014, 1:01pm; Reply: 1
Either way if he wants to go then fine, no point keeping someone who's not happy, and if someone does come in can you blame him for wanting to leave due to the level of abuse he got (rightly or wrongly).
Posted by: immariner, November 6, 2014, 1:05pm; Reply: 2
What people have to remember about Lenny is that before coming to us he had never had a run of games before in his career. He now has 17 goals in 59 starts, 1 in 3.5 for a forward who is used more as an outlet than a running-off-the-shoulder type, which isn't terrible. It isn't fantastic, but it isn't horrendous. He is 25 too, 3/4/5 years off his prime years, so he should only get better. Not one to make the 'hairs on the back of your neck stand up' but he wouldn't be a bad signing for a battling League 2 side. Hopefully they stay away.
Posted by: Garth, November 6, 2014, 1:12pm; Reply: 3
It is what it is market forces they are a league club and have the money, we on the other hand are conference fodder and need the money, I would hate to see him go and better himself but would wish him well if it happened, us will have to find someone else
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 6, 2014, 1:18pm; Reply: 4
I'm not sure that he would pass the medical.

From what I have seen, when he scores, he has problems hearing the crowd.
Posted by: BIGChris, November 6, 2014, 1:28pm; Reply: 5
Under contract and therefore would attract a fee.

I guess as this is the first time he has had a run as a first team regular that he may feel best to see out his deal here and review in the summer. See if there are offers on the table at that time??
Posted by: Rick12, November 6, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Meza
Either way if he wants to go then fine, no point keeping someone who's not happy, and if someone does come in can you blame him for wanting to leave due to the level of abuse he got (rightly or wrongly).
Like to think hes turned the corner now and realise a lot of us appreciate him.If a player feels valued at a club chances are within reason he will stay as long as the offer isn't to good.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 6, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 7
we get money for him ? do for me .
Posted by: oldun, November 6, 2014, 2:43pm; Reply: 8
I want him to stay. Hard to find a replacement who want to come to a Conf side.
Posted by: MarinerWY, November 6, 2014, 3:02pm; Reply: 9
It is increasingly evident that LJL brings a huge amount to the team, and IMO it would be a big loss if he was snapped up. Recently especially he's proving that.
Posted by: oldun, November 6, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 10
He seems quite happy just now, let's hope it stays that way.
Posted by: acko338, November 6, 2014, 3:38pm; Reply: 11
His target? - 20+ goals - that was an easy question !!

Next !!
Posted by: Garth, November 6, 2014, 3:56pm; Reply: 12
Where would we be in the table without his goals? saying that the person who would have played in his place hypothetically just might have scored 18 ;)
Posted by: Vance Warner, November 6, 2014, 4:01pm; Reply: 13
You've got to laugh at the fickleness of football fans sometimes (I include myself in that). A month ago many were asking for him to be dropped now we're worried he'll be sold!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 6, 2014, 4:07pm; Reply: 14
Would love to see him stay, he seems to be enjoying his time at the minute and that is showing with the goals he is putting in the onion bag, we seem to have a good team ethic and that is showing on the field and long may it continue.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 6, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 15
It would be a right laugh when Tranny go down too, so there's nothing to convince me he should go to them even IF they should show interest.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 6, 2014, 5:10pm; Reply: 16
Don't think it was ever an issue that he contributed a lot to the team,it was just his ability to score goals.
Now he is getting better service he is scoring regularly.

He is not having to play with his back to the goal as much.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 6, 2014, 5:10pm; Reply: 17
There's a fair few on here that don't like tranmere, is it to do with 03/04 season?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 6, 2014, 6:35pm; Reply: 18
Tranmere beat us fair and square on that fateful day that saw us go down, the damage was done all though that season I hold no grudge against them remember Jevons wasting time tying his boots and the players on their mobiles to their agents after the game,not good.

On the LJL situation I hope he stays he as now settled into a good side and the confidence is showing. We need to keep this side together now and keep the run going.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 6, 2014, 6:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
There's a fair few on here that don't like tranmere, is it to do with 03/04 season?

The wild celebrations in sending us down mostly. I like to hold the odd grudge, keeps things ticking over.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 6, 2014, 6:49pm; Reply: 20
At £90 a penguin he is having a laugh.
Posted by: chrissy, November 6, 2014, 6:57pm; Reply: 21
He will get a big pay rise next season, either with us in the league 2 or with another club,

Hopefully he will stay with us.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 6, 2014, 7:05pm; Reply: 22
I am sure Lenny will have a lot of league clubs after him IF he keeps scoring for us,

If we win promotion he might want to stay with us if the money is right,

It's a funny old game isn't it ?
Posted by: GorgeousGeorge, November 6, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 23
LJL...................target?

Let me guess, the target is a cows ar5e and the chosen weapon is a banjo?

Seriously, get real guys, 100% effort every game but chances to scored ratio?
Posted by: Abdul19, November 6, 2014, 9:14pm; Reply: 24
This is the basis for next Tuesday's Telegraph back page.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 6, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Abdul19
This is the basis for next Tuesday's Telegraph back page.

i can see the headline, Shop for sale
Posted by: chaos33, November 6, 2014, 9:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from RoboCod

The wild celebrations in sending us down mostly. I like to hold the odd grudge, keeps things ticking over.

This. I'll never forget that. I couldn't understand how they could rejoice at another team's misery - especially when we're not even rivals. I'll be honest and say that it confused and hurt me that day. One of the most miserable days I've ever had as a Town fan. And, Rock Ferry makes Cleethorpes look like Cannes. With the best will in the world, F**k Tranmere and all who sail in her. (sneaky2)(tongue2)

Feel better for getting that off my chest. Where's this LJL stuff come from then?
Posted by: mariner91, November 6, 2014, 10:47pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge
LJL...................target?

Let me guess, the target is a cows ar5e and the chosen weapon is a banjo?

Seriously, get real guys, 100% effort every game but chances to scored ratio?

I'd hazard a guess that it isn't bad at the minute!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 7, 2014, 1:21am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Meza

I don't think he's had abuse. Plenty of people (myself included) don't rate him as a striker but that's stating an opinion it's not abuse.

Plenty of Town players have had abuse before but not the Shop.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, November 7, 2014, 7:17am; Reply: 29
i for one want him to stay. always nice when people are interested but i would be surprised if Shop would repay PH's trust by buggering off.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 7, 2014, 8:07am; Reply: 30
Quoted from BeijingMariner
i for one want him to stay. always nice when people are interested but i would be surprised if Shop would repay PH's trust by buggering off.

Are you kidding ? He is a professional footballer .
Posted by: oldun, November 7, 2014, 8:21am; Reply: 31
This thread is just a "what if question" as far as anyone knows there are no clubs in for Lennie
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 7, 2014, 8:29am; Reply: 32
Quoted from oldun
This thread is just a "what if question" as far as anyone knows there are no clubs in for Lennie

Thats right , i just asked the question because it is well known how highly rated he was away from BP even before his hot streak . I just think his turn around in the goal scoring deserves alot of credit for him sticking at it and not taking the Abuse to heart

Livvo and Big Keith(RIP)  have gone down as cult heroes but they were hardly prolific in front of goal .Even Andy Cole used to Miss more than he Scored !!
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, November 7, 2014, 10:34am; Reply: 33
He signed an 18 month deal in Feb 13, so he can sign a pre contract in the January transfer window and no money needs to change hands.  This is the problem with short term contracts that Hurst seems to favour.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 7, 2014, 11:42am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Vance Warner
You've got to laugh at the fickleness of football fans sometimes (I include myself in that). A month ago many were asking for him to be dropped now we're worried he'll be sold!

Has he been unlucky in front of goal throughout his career so far...or is he now just being lucky?

I think just about every one of us would agree that he has not scored enough goals during his time here, based on chance conversion, i also think most of us would agree that was never due to a lack of effort.
Most "criticism" of LJL was born out of concern over his personal  and our collective ability to score goals, hence why we all, including the club, have yearned for a more proven goalscorer.  
He is scoring now so that takes the pressure off himself which may help him continue on the current form.
I do think though that while the current 1 up top policy remains then LJL will be microscoped if we fail to score.
Posted by: biggles9999, November 7, 2014, 11:51am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
He signed an 18 month deal in Feb 13, so he can sign a pre contract in the January transfer window and no money needs to change hands.  This is the problem with short term contracts that Hurst seems to favour.

Only if he's going abroad. AC Milan are skint and only make free signings at the moment.....
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 6:30pm