Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tom13, November 4, 2014, 6:07pm
Been transfer listed - could we be in for him?
Posted by: fiveallive, November 4, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 1
I think Aldershot are skint and want money for him that we can't afford plus we have John-Lewis, Pittman, Hannah and maybe the lad from New Zealand.
Posted by: kevikov, November 4, 2014, 7:48pm; Reply: 2
We could do worse, a lot worse
Posted by: chaos33, November 4, 2014, 8:01pm; Reply: 3
I'd love to get him. He's a goalscorer. Have admired him for a while and feel he could be the missing piece. I really hope we go for him.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 4, 2014, 8:47pm; Reply: 4
Not scored as many as LJL :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 4, 2014, 9:34pm; Reply: 5
Hope not true, but heard oxford!
Posted by: mimma, November 4, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 6
He's cup tied as he's played in the cup already!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 4, 2014, 9:38pm; Reply: 7
Ah, they're welcome to him then
Posted by: acko338, November 5, 2014, 1:05pm; Reply: 8
Would be the type of forward player to boost the squad - money could be an issue - keeping those here happy may be another issue - I think that Hamish from New Zealand may be the cheaper way that Hurst goes..... if international clearance can be sought in the time he is getting fitter !
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 5, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 9
If its a transfer he couldn't sign for them till January anyway- if its a loan lets go get him.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 5, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Madeleymariner
If its a transfer he couldn't sign for them till January anyway-

Loan til January 1 and a transfer agreement in place, same as Boyce to Scunny last year.
Posted by: Tommy, November 5, 2014, 7:03pm; Reply: 11
Could he fit into the 4-3-3 system we're having a bit of success with?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 5, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 12
I'm pretty happy with our line up when all fit.  Why disrupt what we have.  The NZ guy is a better bet as he won't expect a place in the starting line up but adds depth to squad
Posted by: immariner, November 5, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 13
I doubt he'd want to move here sadly. Seems to have always spent his time in the Hampshire area so probably settled there.
Posted by: chaos33, November 5, 2014, 8:16pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I'm pretty happy with our line up when all fit.  Why disrupt what we have.  The NZ guy is a better bet as he won't expect a place in the starting line up but adds depth to squad

Not sure how you can conclude that the New Zealander is a 'better bet'? He hasn't played a game at this level and Williams has a proven goalscoring pedigree. As for 'adding depth' to the squad - well again, we don't know. What he will add is 'numbers' to the squad if that's what you mean.

We have a good squad already - agreed. Arguably, what we lack, is a goalscorer, even if current results dilute the urgency in that situation somewhat. I can't really see any point in signing another player (especially a striker) who 'doesn't expect a place in the team' and isn't going to get one, as it uses (limited) resourcces without improving us.

Hurst might not want Williams, and Williams might not be interested in signing for us even if he did. Who knows. He's clearly an effective goalscorer though in a lesser team than ours. We'll see.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 7, 2014, 12:09am; Reply: 15
Quoted from chaos33
I can't really see any point in signing another player (especially a striker) who 'doesn't expect a place in the team' and isn't going to get one, as it uses (limited) resourcces without improving us.

What a good point. (well generally, see below !  ;))

Quoted from Tommy
Could he fit into the 4-3-3 system we're having a bit of success with?

I was wondering this too.

Mainly left side for me tbh cos unless Arnold/Neilson can play up front (4-5-1 or 4-3-3 ?), wonder if all the others aren't best suited left side.
Hannah is left footed but at least prefers being in the middle.
Least he did when I read his own words in an old match programme.
Guess you'll do a job where you're put though and Hannah's workrate is arguably a good leveller.

Suppose all I'm wondering is whether adding another "out and out striker" to make 4 is better than 3 right now.
If circumstances dictate then I'd take 2nd prize over nowt.

Or can/will Arnold play "up front" as one ? You tell me...

Got to be honest, much as I'd always love to see some added quality to the 1st team to improve it, short of a cup run (or maybe even with one but who knows), I can't really imagine us splashing the cash around too much.

Is Watson right footed ?
Posted by: gtfc98, November 7, 2014, 8:28am; Reply: 16
Personally I'd go for Williams and try to offload Hannah in January. He's done nothing since signing on a permanent deal.
Posted by: Maringer, November 7, 2014, 8:48am; Reply: 17
Chatting to a Shots fan who we know through work, he mentioned that Williams is probably the laziest player he's ever seen. He did also mention that they couldn't do without him!

He's not exactly tearing up any trees this season, though, is he?

I'd tend to think he doesn't really fit in with Hurst's ethos. We certainly need another striker (or two), but I think a player with great pace or another big physical striker for when LJL is unavailable is more likely the sort he is looking for.
Posted by: captainox, November 7, 2014, 10:59am; Reply: 18
Shots manager says the transfer listing is a internet rumour and he is not available.

Definitely not heard anything at our end - we just seem to be getting random players in on trial.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 7, 2014, 11:33am; Reply: 19
Fgr set to rekindle their interest according to a couple of lads I work with
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 6:32am