Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Garth, November 2, 2014, 9:35am
Barnet  12 points ahead and played 1 game more, we have to play them twice 6 points and win the one behind 3 points total 9 points, its not over yet!
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 2, 2014, 9:45am; Reply: 1
There is a long way to go yet, They will suffer a bad run before the season ends, we need to take advantage of that, Barnet have us to play twice yet.

We just need to keep picking up results and keep within distance and i am sure we will be fine, It's a marathon not a sprint!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, November 2, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Garth
Barnet  12 points ahead and played 1 game more, we have to play them twice 6 points and win the one behind 3 points total 9 points, its not over yet!

I agree it's not over yet but it's still a pretty big ask. We need to beat the run away leaders home and away, plus win our game in hand and we'd still be 3 points behind.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 10:02am; Reply: 3
All it will take is Martin Allen to lose it like he has done in the past. He is not the most loyal bloke in football either. The hardest thing to do is maintain the lead and motivate your players for that length of time whilst you are at the top.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 2, 2014, 10:32am; Reply: 4
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I agree it's not over yet but it's still a pretty big ask. We need to beat the run away leaders home and away, plus win our game in hand and we'd still be 3 points behind.

It can be done though, just have a look at this table after 17/18 games of the season 2 seasons ago when the Top 2 were Mansfield and Kidderminster!

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference-premier/2012-2013/table/2012-11-10
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 2, 2014, 10:56am; Reply: 5
As well as being well down the league at this stage,  Mansfield and Kidderminster also had a combined goal difference of -2.  They showed that anything is possible over the last half of the season. It is a marathon not a sprint.
Posted by: northbankmariner, November 2, 2014, 11:45am; Reply: 6
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

At last a voice of reason, we could easily lose the games and it be a 15 point gap. But I remain positive we have a very good and capable squad, but feel they are looking too good right now. Happy to be proven wrong. I will happily take a play off spot at the end of the season, and no that is not being negative at all, just a reflection I feel we are one of the best teams in the division but am not cinvinced YET that we are the best.
Posted by: Rick12, November 2, 2014, 12:28pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 1739
All it will take is Martin Allen to lose it like he has done in the past. He is not the most loyal bloke in football either. The hardest thing to do is maintain the lead and motivate your players for that length of time whilst you are at the top.
A tough manager who is very demanding of his players I think.Thats all well and good but players sometimes need the man management side as well .For me I think this is where Hurst possibly prospers over Allen.If I was good enough to be a pro player I think I would like to play for Hurst more than Allen and this can make the difference sometimes in who signs for the club

Posted by: oldun, November 2, 2014, 1:21pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

It can be done though, just have a look at this table after 17/18 games of the season 2 seasons ago when the Top 2 were Mansfield and Kidderminster!

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference-premier/2012-2013/table/2012-11-10

That's interesting, I am happier coming into form later in the season and hitting the top near Easter than being in Barnet's position now.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 2, 2014, 1:24pm; Reply: 9
I have always said, it's not how you start,

It's how you finish,

This is our time. :)
Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 2, 2014, 1:44pm; Reply: 10
We need to go on a Luton style run because we can hope we've gone through our dodgy run
Posted by: acko338, November 2, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 11
Waiting to see how good they are if injuries happen to players like Akinde ??
Posted by: chaos33, November 2, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from acko338
Waiting to see how good they are if injuries happen to players like Akinde ??

This. They will have a sticky patch at some point for sure.
Posted by: gtfc98, November 2, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete
I have always said, it's not how you start,

It's how you finish,

This is our time. :)

I hope so Pete!
Posted by: RonMariner, November 3, 2014, 1:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

Good point. and at this stage last season Luton were 8 points adrift of Cambridge with no games in hand.
Posted by: pizzzza, November 3, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 15
So, we are all agreed that we can come from behind and the important thing is that we are on top at the climax.
Posted by: sydney, November 3, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 16
We will go second if we can win at Braintree tomorrow,,
Come on Town!!
Posted by: moosey_club, November 3, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from pizzzza
So, we are all agreed that we can come from behind and the important thing is that we are on top at the climax.

keep banging away in the meantime and prove to be a stiff challenge
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 3, 2014, 11:18pm; Reply: 18
Men are usually on top at the climax.  ;)  It is all in the timing.
Posted by: gaz57, November 4, 2014, 12:18am; Reply: 19
Quoted from pizzzza

So town come good in the end.   ;)
Posted by: Garth, November 4, 2014, 8:51am; Reply: 20
Quoted from pizzzza

Is coming first that important though?
Posted by: GyMariner, November 4, 2014, 10:29pm; Reply: 21
Are barnet THAT good? Or have other teams just had a slower start? We have dropped alot of points against bottom sides.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 4, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from moosey_club

keep banging away in the meantime and prove to be a stiff challenge

Yeah, let's hope we keep getting our tackles in and not pull out at the last minute and we'll keep clean sheets.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 4, 2014, 11:05pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
As well as being well down the league at this stage,  Mansfield and Kidderminster also had a combined goal difference of -2.  They showed that anything is possible over the last half of the season. It is a marathon not a sprint.

Sadly one of the teams they overtook was us on our habitual slide in form after Christmas.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 4, 2014, 11:09pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sadly one of the teams they overtook was us on our habitual slide in form after Christmas.

We won't have that problem if we lose in the FAT early rather than actually try to win games!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 4, 2014, 11:12pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GrimRob

We won't have that problem if we lose in the FAT early rather than actually try to win games!

Ah yes, the Brendan Rodgers approach to cup games!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 5, 2014, 2:21am; Reply: 26
Quoted from GyMariner
Are barnet THAT good? Or have other teams just had a slower start? We have dropped alot of points against bottom sides.

Yep we're playing catchup...

Just had a look at THEIR results so far to compare theirs with ours.
YTP means we're "yet to play"...
Pts 'advantage' calculated for us (not them)

....................................BARNET...................TOWN................Advantage
Chester (A)................Won...........................YTP     
Bristol Rov (H)...........Won...........................YTP
Lincoln (H).................LOST.........................YTP.....................(+ 3?)
Nuneaton (A).............Won...........................YTP               
Dartford (H)................Won...........................Won.......................0
Southport (A).............Won...........................YTP
Alfreton (H)................Won...........................Won.......................0
Dover (A)...................Won...........................YTP
Telford (A).................Drew...........................YTP......................(+2?)
Wrexham (H).............LOST..........................YTP......................(+3?)     
Altrincham (H)............Won...........................Drew......................-2
Forest Green (A).......Won...........................YTP
Braintree (A)..............Drew...........................Get in..!!!...............+2
Eastleigh (H)..............Won...........................YTP
Macclesfield (A)........LOST..........................YTP......................(+3?)
Kidderminster (H)......Drew...........................YTP......................(+2?)
Gateshead (A)...........Won...........................Won........................0
Braintree(H)...............Won...........................YTP
Welling (A).................Won...........................YTP

Conclusion ?

Fixture for fixture so far, we're dead level with them ! :)     

For the games Barnet have already played, there's potentially 13 points we can make up on them. (for sure)
i.e. Lincoln (H), Telford(A), Wrexham(H), Macclesfield(A), Kiddermister (H) - not bad ones at all ! (thumbup1)

However there's potentially 27 points (9 wins) we can lose on them (but note, this is WORSE CASE SCENARIO where we lose the lot !)
Must be said their away form is VERY impressive so far ! (that said ours is pretty good right now too..)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 5, 2014, 2:33am; Reply: 27
Now to those WE'VE played that they haven't.... (the slightly worrying bit !)

..............................BARNET......................TOWN
Bristol R (A)...............YTP............................Drew
Nuneaton (H).............YTP............................Drew
Dover (H)...................YTP............................Drew
Aldershot (A).............YTP............................LOST
Welling (H)................YTP............................Won     
Lincoln (A).................YTP............................LOST
Torquay (H)................YTP............................LOST
Halifax (A)..................YTP............................Drew
Kidderminster (A)......YTP.............................Won
Chester (H)................YTP............................Won
Southport (H).............YTP............................LOST
Dartford (A)................YTP............................Drew
Wrexham (A)..............YTP............................Won
Torquay (A).................YTP............................Won

Super conclusion ?
God knows really.
It's all about their future form and agree they'll most probably come unstuck at some point.
But if you ask me, if we want the title, we've got to try to keep our WINNING league run going.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:06am