Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 29, 2014, 8:21am
I didn't see this one coming,

Ambitious plans for a state-of-the-art football stadium and complex on the 110-acre former Huntsman Tioxide site in Grimsby have been backed by UKIP - but the party will not be coming up with the cash to fund it.

It also claims there is a "real possibility" the complex, dubbed the Mariners Key Project, could attract more than three-million visitors a year to the area.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 29, 2014, 8:28am; Reply: 1
http://grimsbyukip.webplus.net/page88.html

Sod Johnny Foreigner that gets my vote.
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 8:28am; Reply: 2
This has just jogged my memory.....

Did you happen to get this detail from a leaflet through the door?

I was in a taxi last week and the taxi driver (who lives off Weelsby Ave) was telling me he'd had a leaflet through his door advising him that this stadium was a "goer". He didn't have the leaflet with him (surprisingly!!) and he couldn't tell me where it had come from.

Unless someone is going to fund it the idea remains like so many others over the years very large "pie in the sky".

It would be interesting to see whether NELC offer any response
Posted by: psgmariner, October 29, 2014, 8:30am; Reply: 3
Not much on that website is there?

Come on Farage, I know you post on here, spill the beans!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 29, 2014, 8:31am; Reply: 4
Quoted from barralad
This has just jogged my memory.....

Did you happen to get this detail from a leaflet through the door?

I was in a taxi last week and the taxi driver (who lives off Weelsby Ave) was telling me he'd had a leaflet through his door advising him that this stadium was a "goer". He didn't have the leaflet with him (surprisingly!!) and he couldn't tell me where it had come from.

Unless someone is going to fund it the idea remains like so many others over the years very large "pie in the sky".

It would be interesting to see whether NELC offer any response

Source- in today's Grimsby Telegraph.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 29, 2014, 8:41am; Reply: 5
Seems it is just another madcap UKIP idea. Fenty and others have rubbished the idea:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Ukip-thinks-Grimsby-Town-play-Huntsman-Tioxide/story-23716316-detail/story.html

I spent a blissful summer working at Tioxide but don't think it is suitable for  new ground.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, October 29, 2014, 8:49am; Reply: 6
Novartis is a top tier COMAH site which basically means that it has some very nasty chemicals and they have to have a plan in place should the worst happen.

One part of the plan is that all of the neighbours, within a mile radius or thereabouts, are aware that they need to stay indoors, close all windows and doors and wait for instructions.

Having around 5000 people next door, in the open air with no means of refuge means that for this reason alone, it would never be allowed to happen.
Posted by: biggles9999, October 29, 2014, 8:59am; Reply: 7
Mr Mawer, the man who is behind the idea, has sent out 130 leaflets to residents in the Grimsby area to gauge support for the ambitious development project.

This part of the article made me laugh. In a town the size of Grimsby/Cleethorpes thats hardly going to be much of a gauge.
Posted by: tashee69, October 29, 2014, 9:09am; Reply: 8
UKIP have just picked a large area where a ground could be built, put no idea into the matter whatsoever. Roads, smell, finances, buses, it makes me feel like they want to play politics....oh we did think of the idea but you're not getting any money off us. I've an idea build it on the old Western school site or how about near Morrisons.  If UKIP do win Gy I think it's even a further step backwards for the stadium. Just when you don't think it could get any worse.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 29, 2014, 9:11am; Reply: 9
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Novartis is a top tier COMAH site which basically means that it has some very nasty chemicals and they have to have a plan in place should the worst happen.

One part of the plan is that all of the neighbours, within a mile radius or thereabouts, are aware that they need to stay indoors, close all windows and doors and wait for instructions.

Having around 5000 people next door, in the open air with no means of refuge means that for this reason alone, it would never be allowed to happen.

Exactly...the same reason the Great Coates site had so many issues initially, plus add the stench from the sewage works next door and the fishmeal factory , its a great location for attracting crowds..
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 29, 2014, 9:54am; Reply: 10
Quoted from ivanosandwich

This here is why UKIP are a load of flipping balderdash. They just come out with populist nonsense that sounds good to certain sectors of the populace, but when you perform the most basic analysis on their proposals, it turns out they have no grounding in reality.

I see Victoria Ayling is all over this, yet states UKIP won't be funding it. I can't foresee the wonderful free-market rushing to plough money into building a stadium next door to a chemical plant in an economically struggling town, Victoria. Shite electioneering.

I bet Fenty's drunk off about this too. They've not consulted the club, yet the GTFC badge is all over their laughable website (which looks like it was knocked together in Microsoft Paint) - http://grimsbyukip.webplus.net/page88.html

Posted by: Chrisblor, October 29, 2014, 10:03am; Reply: 11
Seriously, what the hell is this? An image which has been enlarged so much you can barely tell what it's meant to be, with "TICK'S EVERY BOX" (sic) written on top. UKIP have the image editing and copywriting skills of a 5 year old.

[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/154d5k7.jpg[/img]
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 29, 2014, 10:14am; Reply: 12
If nothing else, UKIP in their naivety might make others in authority up their game, or fear for their future.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2014, 10:15am; Reply: 13
A real vote winner they thought,

More like a PR disaster .
Posted by: Maringer, October 29, 2014, 10:21am; Reply: 14
Anybody who believes this is a serious project is deluding themselves.

The Kippers will come up with any sort of unfunded bullshit they can in a brazen attempt to con people into voting for them and they are absolutely shameless about it. If you remember, at the last election, Farage even admitted their manifesto was a load of crap.

I understand that Grimsby is one of the few constituencies where there is a real chance UKIP could win a seat. Madness - it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 29, 2014, 10:27am; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete
A real vote winner they thought,

More like a PR disaster .

Not necessarily Pete. Like RP says, it could make other people up their game or look for better places and ideas than the Parkway. Not keen on UKIP personally but they may be doing us all a favour in the long run just by opening up public debate on other possibilities, however unlikely.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 29, 2014, 10:43am; Reply: 16
It's called Grimsby key, should it not be Grimsby Quay?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 29, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 17
This is so basically a desperate political fudge. They don't want to annoy the voters of Park but at the same time they don't want to annoy the fans of the towns football club so they come up with a plan that seems reasonable until it's put under real scrutiny. But of course since the majority of voters don't have the time (or inclination) to look at the minutia of policies they will get away with this seeming plausible -  bit like the Boris Airport scheme.

There is a real danger in this as if UKIP do take control of the Council next May (which is certainly possible) then they will stop the Peaks Parkway application in its track while they carry out a "feasibility study" of their Tioxide plan" . If the result comes out as possible then it will give them a reason to block the Peaks Parkway plan and blame the club for failing to take up the offer of a new stadium.

It may be worth the club doing its own feasibility study before May of this plan so they can publish it before the election which will at least  make it harder for UKIP to argue for it during the election.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 18

Not necessarily Pete. Like RP says, it could make other people up their game or look for better places and ideas than the Parkway. Not keen on UKIP personally but they may be doing us all a favour in the long run just by opening up public debate on other possibilities, however unlikely.

I admit I am  UKIP voter,

Only because in the area I live 90% are conservatives,

I can not vote for them and a vote for labour is a wasted vote,

Seeing all parties are getting a bit afraid of losing their seats to UKIP,

I vote for UKIP to give the others a kick up the backside,

UKIP are a good protest party but they will never get in power,

They might win the odd seat , I hope one of them is not my Grimsby.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 29, 2014, 11:13am; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

So you're saying you don't want them to win but you vote for them anyway?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 29, 2014, 11:16am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Chrisblor
Seriously, what the hell is this? An image which has been enlarged so much you can barely tell what it's meant to be, with "TICK'S EVERY BOX" (sic) written on top. UKIP have the image editing and copywriting skills of a 5 year old.

[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/154d5k7.jpg[/img]

This has actually made me laugh out loud!
Posted by: Biccys, October 29, 2014, 11:18am; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimsby pete

It only takes enough people to think that and then they'll get in. Then we're copulated.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 29, 2014, 11:21am; Reply: 22
Yeah, let's hope Labour/ConDems get in and save us all!
Posted by: highcliff mariner, October 29, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 23
Quoted from RoboCod
Yeah, let's hope Labour/ConDems get in and save us all!

;D
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 29, 2014, 11:25am; Reply: 24
I played many games in front of Tioxide, the pitches were in beautiful condition thanks in part to the fishmeal fertiliser dropped from scavenging seagulls. I particularly used to love being there on a Sunday morning with a banging hangover and the wind from the east. Fishmeal and sewerage are the perfect emetic.

What a mad idea along with many other mad, nasty and dangerous ideas from UKIP.
Posted by: Maringer, October 29, 2014, 11:27am; Reply: 25
Pete, you've got to consider that at some point, if you vote for UKIP, you'll may well end up getting UKIP!

It will be a complete disaster if they ever win enough seats to have an impact on parliament.

Their only real policy is to leave the EU which they claim will save an incredible amount of money with which they plan to cut taxes (even further) for the wealthiest. The figures of these savings they bandy about make no sense and bear no relevance to reality. Everything else they claim they would do is further to the right of the already very right-wing Tories.

They are a bunch of political chancers whose recent alliance with a far-right Polish nutjob in the European Parliament just so they can receive additional funding shows how ethically lacking they are.

Heck, most of the Kippers make the current batch of major party politicians (of all stripes) look highly respectable!
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 29, 2014, 11:30am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Chrisblor

This here is why UKIP are a load of flipping balderdash. They just come out with populist nonsense that sounds good to certain sectors of the populace, but when you perform the most basic analysis on their proposals, it turns out they have no grounding in reality.I see Victoria Ayling is all over this, yet states UKIP won't be funding it. I can't foresee the wonderful free-market rushing to plough money into building a stadium next door to a chemical plant in an economically struggling town, Victoria. Shite electioneering.

I bet Fenty's drunk off about this too. They've not consulted the club, yet the GTFC badge is all over their laughable website (which looks like it was knocked together in Microsoft Paint) - http://grimsbyukip.webplus.net/page88.html

Erm, you could say the same thing about all the other political parties, remember "no tution fees", " a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty" "British jobs for British workers".

They are all a bunch of lying illegitimates and will say anything to get elected.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 29, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

They are all a bunch of lying illegitimates and will say anything to get elected.

Depressingly true.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 29, 2014, 11:41am; Reply: 28
Not siding with any political party here, but, it would be interesting to see where they thought would be the best place for a new ground
Posted by: WappingMariner, October 29, 2014, 11:47am; Reply: 29
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Not siding with any political party here, but, it would be interesting to see where they thought would be the best place for a new ground

It would give a great view of Spurn Point, though.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 29, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 30
Just another example of what a bunch of idiots UKIP are. If you vote UKIP you should be ashamed of yourself.
Posted by: GTFCNiles, October 29, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from gtfc98
Just another example of what a bunch of idiots UKIP are. If you vote UKIP you should be ashamed of yourself.

Why? Looking at their policies I can see why they are taking votes.

Return Power to the UK

• A vote for UKIP is a vote to leave the EU and recover power over our national life.

• Free trade, but not political union, with our European neighbours. We are the EU’s largest export market: they depend on us for jobs - not the other way around.

• Binding local and national referenda, at the public’s request, on major issues.

Protect Our Borders

• Regain control of our borders and of immigration - only possible by leaving the EU.

• Immigrants must financially support themselves and their dependents for 5 years. This means private health insurance (except emergency medical care), private education and private housing - they should pay into the pot before they take out of it.

• A points-based visa system and time-limited work permits.

• Proof of private health insurance must be a precondition for immigrants and tourists to enter the UK.

Rebuild Prosperity

• Save £55m a day in membership fees by leaving the EU and give British workers first crack at the 800,000 jobs we currently advertise to EU workers.

• No tax on the minimum wage.

• Enrol unemployed welfare claimants onto community schemes or retraining workfare programmes.

• Scrap HS2, all green taxes and wind turbine subsidies.

• Develop shale gas to reduce energy bills and free us from dependence on foreign oil and gas - place the tax revenues into a British Sovereign Wealth Fund.

• UKIP will abolish inheritance tax. Inheritance tax brings in under £4bn - less than a third of what we spend on foreign aid. The super-rich avoid it, while modest property owners get caught by it. It hits people during a time of grief and UKIP will budget in its 2015 spending plans to completely abolish this unfair death tax.

• Make cuts to foreign aid that are real and rigorous.

Safeguard Against Crime

• No cuts to front line policing.

• Make sentences mean what they say.

• No votes for prisoners - that’s what losing your liberty means.

• Prevent foreign criminals entering the UK - by re-introducing border controls that the EU forced us to abandon.

• Scrap the European Arrest Warrant, which sends British citizens to foreign jails without evidence, just to answer questions - replace it with a proper extradition system.

• Remove the UK from the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights.

Care And Support For All

• Open GP surgeries in the evening, for full-time workers, where there is demand.

• Locally-elected County Health Boards to inspect hospitals - to avoid another Stafford Hospital crisis.

• Prioritise social housing for people whose parents and grandparents were born locally.

• Allow the creation of new grammar schools.

• Make welfare a safety net for the needy, not a bed for the lazy. Benefits only available to those who have lived here for over 5 years.

Free Speech and Democracy

• No to Political Correctness - it stifles free speech.

• The law of the land must apply to us all. We oppose any other system of law.

• Teach children positive messages and pride in their country. We want to unite through better integration.

UKIP is a patriotic party that believes in putting Britain first. Only UKIP will return self-government to the British people.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 29, 2014, 1:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from GTFCNiles

Return Power to the UK

• A vote for UKIP is a vote to leave the EU and recover power over our national life.

• Free trade, but not political union, with our European neighbours. We are the EU’s largest export market: they depend on us for jobs - not the other way around.

• Binding local and national referenda, at the public’s request, on major issues.

Protect Our Borders

• Regain control of our borders and of immigration - only possible by leaving the EU.

• Immigrants must financially support themselves and their dependents for 5 years. This means private health insurance (except emergency medical care), private education and private housing - they should pay into the pot before they take out of it.

• Proof of private health insurance must be a precondition for immigrants and tourists to enter the UK.

Rebuild Prosperity

• Save £55m a day in membership fees by leaving the EU and give British workers first crack at the 800,000 jobs we currently advertise to EU workers.

• Enrol unemployed welfare claimants onto community schemes or retraining workfare programmes.

• Develop shale gas to reduce energy bills and free us from dependence on foreign oil and gas - place the tax revenues into a British Sovereign Wealth Fund.

• UKIP will abolish inheritance tax. Inheritance tax brings in under £4bn - less than a third of what we spend on foreign aid. The super-rich avoid it, while modest property owners get caught by it. It hits people during a time of grief and UKIP will budget in its 2015 spending plans to completely abolish this unfair death tax.

Safeguard Against Crime

• Prevent foreign criminals entering the UK - by re-introducing border controls that the EU forced us to abandon.

• Scrap the European Arrest Warrant, which sends British citizens to foreign jails without evidence, just to answer questions - replace it with a proper extradition system.

Care And Support For All

• Open GP surgeries in the evening, for full-time workers, where there is demand.

• Locally-elected County Health Boards to inspect hospitals - to avoid another Stafford Hospital crisis.

• Prioritise social housing for people whose parents and grandparents were born locally.

• Make welfare a safety net for the needy, not a bed for the lazy. Benefits only available to those who have lived here for over 5 years.

• Teach children positive messages and pride in their country. We want to unite through better integration.

UKIP is a patriotic party that believes in putting Britain first. Only UKIP will return self-government to the British people.

Ukip would completely destroy the NHS, even further and faster than the Tories are trying to.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 29, 2014, 1:21pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, you could say the same thing about all the other political parties, remember "no tution fees", " a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty" "British jobs for British workers".

Not forgetting the worst of all "weapons of mass destruction" for which Tony Blair and his cohorts should be put in front of a firing squad.

Posted by: gtfc98, October 29, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from GTFCNiles

Return Power to the UK

Protect Our Borders

Rebuild Prosperity

Safeguard Against Crime

Care And Support For All

Yeh they'd be great. Bunch of racist bigots.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 29, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Ukip would completely destroy the NHS, even further and faster than the Tories are trying to.

Based on what?

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 29, 2014, 1:27pm; Reply: 36
Full Privitisation of NHS and paying to see a GP not mentioned. The inheritance tax thing tells you all you need to know about these neo-Thatcherite male masturbators.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 29, 2014, 1:28pm; Reply: 37
Oh god here we go again with the my votes better than yours.

Let's keep it to footy guys!!!!!  ;)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 29, 2014, 1:30pm; Reply: 38
I'm not a fan of the monarchy so puts me off right away that their party promotes a kingdom. And as for independence....take that totally with a pinch of salt
Posted by: Maringer, October 29, 2014, 1:43pm; Reply: 39
Farage makes me laugh. He gets his name from a Huguenot ancestor who fled to Britain from France (ooh, immigrant!) and has somehow managed to persuade lots of voters that he is a 'man of the people'.

Getting yourself photographed in pubs with a pint does not make you a man of the people, especially if you're a wealthy former public schoolboy and commodities trader.
Posted by: sutton mariner, October 29, 2014, 1:55pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from GTFCNiles

Return Power to the UK

Protect Our Borders

Rebuild Prosperity

Safeguard Against Crime

Care And Support For All

:o :o :o
Posted by: gytone, October 29, 2014, 2:07pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from arryarryarry

Exactly why they will do well, because all the other parties lie through their back teeth.....me I probably wont vote :-(
Posted by: tashee69, October 29, 2014, 2:29pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from gytone

Exactly why they will do well, because all the other parties lie through their back teeth.

And they don't !! I heard a story about a ideal grand new stadium for the mariners in a place that stinks (in more ways than one)  ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, October 29, 2014, 2:58pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Maringer
Farage makes me laugh. He gets his name from a Huguenot ancestor who fled to Britain from France (ooh, immigrant!) and has somehow managed to persuade lots of voters that he is a 'man of the people'.

Getting yourself photographed in pubs with a pint does not make you a man of the people, especially if you're a wealthy former public schoolboy and commodities trader.

He makes me laugh. Gets asked a question gives an honest answer. The papers/opposition make a deal of it, he's slaughtered, his poll ratings go up the next day.
Says more about the God awful corrupt, greedy and sleazy MP's we have here in the UK than anything else.
Posted by: tashee69, October 29, 2014, 3:18pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from RoboCod

Says more about the God awful corrupt, greedy and sleazy MP's we have here in the UK than anything else.

It's not true democracy without sleazy, corrupt and greedy politicians  ;D
Forget which comedian said it but he said whoever wants to become an MP should automatically be banned from becoming one
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 29, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from tashee69

And they don't !! I heard a story about a ideal grand new stadium for the mariners in a place that stinks (in more ways than one)  ;)

Not living in the town, is the fish meal factory still there?

I remember Wold Farm Foods being a bit pongy as well.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 29, 2014, 3:22pm; Reply: 46
I would also add, what about that land to the north of the A180 next to the new pub that has just been built near the business park.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 29, 2014, 4:10pm; Reply: 47
This as to be the most idiotic idea ever, i worked at Tioxide for years and depending on the wind direction you had the stench of the fishmeal plant or the stench of the sewerage works either way they were both horrendous. At least you wouldn't have to worry about on site food no fecker would feel hungry lol.   ;D ;D ;D  Seriously you also have a potentially high risk chemical Plt next door, a flood risk and  no commercial prospects  what so ever.  
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 4:13pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from headingly_mariner

What about Labour you seem to of missed them out ? because under there disastrous watch privatiseing and selling the NHS off was well on the way.
To many people from Grimsby seem to forget what a total bunch of inept feeble male masturbators the Labour Party were whilst in power for 13 years, and they should never be left in charge ever again I'd give UKIP  a go just because I honestly don't believe they could be as bad as Labour.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 29, 2014, 4:22pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from arryarryarry
I would also add, what about that land to the north of the A180 next to the new pub that has just been built near the business park.

I wondered why that pub was there :/ maybe it's a sign!
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 29, 2014, 4:24pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I'm not a fan of the monarchy so puts me off right away that their party promotes a kingdom. And as for independence....take that totally with a pinch of salt

The monarchy is this country in my eyes, losing that would be like losing a big part of Britain.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2014, 4:35pm; Reply: 51
Can I reassure all my fellow posters that UKIP have got no chance whatsoever of getting in where I vote,

As I said before 90% of voters in the area I live are conservatives,

I could not vote but I do not like that idea,

I could vote for Labour but that is a waste,

The reason I vote UKIP is because I know they will not get in anywhere near here,

BUT

They might have a chance in Grimsby so I say to you,

Do not vote for Ukip because you just might get them a seat to go along with their other one.

I could vote for the Green Party I suppose. 8)
Posted by: Maringer, October 29, 2014, 5:07pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from 2578

What about Labour you seem to of missed them out ? because under there disastrous watch privatiseing and selling the NHS off was well on the way.

Not true.

A certain percentage of NHS treatment was provided by the private sector under the last government (and earlier governments - dentists, GPs etc), but there wasn't any major privatisation of the sort that UKIP and the Tories have wet dreams about.

Labour's big error was to use expensive PFI to build new hospitals and facilities. The NHS badly needed investment after it had been neglected under the previous Conservative government, but kicking the can down the road using PFI was a waste of money in the long term, especially when government borrowing costs pretty much intercourse all in comparison to the PFI stuff.

The Blair/Brown governments did plenty of things right as well as some things wrong. In comparison, the current Conservative/LibDem coalition has got pretty much everyfuckingthing wrong.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 53
Any ex-Labour voter who votes UKIP wants his head examining, or needs to learn to read. UKIP = 80s Thatcherism (with the addition of the EU exit).

Let's not forget Farage was an arch-Thatcherite and it was them who signed up to the Single Market in the first place.
Posted by: ska face, October 29, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

The monarchy is this country in my eyes, losing that would be like losing a big part of Britain.

lol.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 5:52pm; Reply: 55
If labour was serious about a new stadium they would have co-operated with us over the past 25 years to try and get a new ground. They have had the chance for me and they have had more than enough time to bring investment into the town which they have failed to do. How can we judge another party in charge in North East Lincolnshire when they haven't been given the chance to prove what they can do?
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 6:18pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Maringer

Not true.

A certain percentage of NHS treatment was provided by the private sector under the last government (and earlier governments - dentists, GPs etc), but there wasn't any major privatisation of the sort that UKIP and the Tories have wet dreams about.

Labour's big error was to use expensive PFI to build new hospitals and facilities. The NHS badly needed investment after it had been neglected under the previous Conservative government, but kicking the can down the road using PFI was a waste of money in the long term, especially when government borrowing costs pretty much intercourse all in comparison to the PFI stuff.

The Blair/Brown governments did plenty of things right as well as some things wrong. In comparison, the current Conservative/LibDem coalition has got pretty much everyfuckingthing wrong.

Yes PFI was a massive waste and cost the taxpayer millions, just another reason Labour should never be trusted with the public purse strings, anyone still in doubt as to how incompetent the Labour Party is with regards to  the NHS, only has to look at the NHS in Wales which is still under labour control because for anyone who doesn't know NHS Wales is on its knees and close to breaking point.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 29, 2014, 6:21pm; Reply: 57
As I posted previous, and was mentioned when the peaks parkway development was announced, it would be interesting to know EVERY candidates stance on the new ground and where they think (if at all) it should be
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2014, 6:33pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Any ex-Labour voter who votes UKIP wants his head examining, or needs to learn to read. UKIP = 80s Thatcherism (with the addition of the EU exit).

You are not the first person to say that to me

(bash)

Like I have said in my previous posts, they have no chance of getting in at Bury St Edmunds,

I use my vote as a protest because Labour have got no chance of getting in either,

I live in the middle of a very very strong Conservative area.
Posted by: Meza, October 29, 2014, 6:52pm; Reply: 59
I think what these nimbys or opposition are misunderstanding is we cannot just build a stadium where they seem fit I.e out of sight out of mind.  Now im not 100% sure and please correct me if im wrong, but JF cannot fund the whole stadium project because he simply cannot afford it hence why he needs help.  This is were the investment comes to help with the cost of the stadium.   Now its ok ukip and nimbys saying tioxide is a great location do we think the investor will want to build a supermarket etc next to the new stadium with all the other plants around I very much doubt it.  This would mean the project would not be viable.   Im sure if JF had the money to build a new stadium without any help from others im sure he would being a gtfc fan.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 29, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Give this a read - http://republic.org.uk/

They're a waste of money and completely outdated.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 29, 2014, 7:33pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Chrisblor

Give this a read - http://republic.org.uk/

They're a waste of money and completely outdated.

That's just opinion, just like mine, I don't think it's done other countries much good, it's often led onto dictatorship
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 29, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 62
How can you not vote labour...(Confused)

Melanie Onn is certainly an improvement on Austin Mitchell, Hello....! lol (wohow)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tJC9wCS.jpg[/img]
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 8:06pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from 1739
If labour was serious about a new stadium they would have co-operated with us over the past 25 years to try and get a new ground. They have had the chance for me and they have had more than enough time to bring investment into the town which they have failed to do. How can we judge another party in charge in North East Lincolnshire when they haven't been given the chance to prove what they can do?

At the time that the Great Coates development was being seriously considered Labour were not in control of N.E. Lincs. Between 2003-2011 we had a somewhat unholy alliance of the Tories and the Lib Dems. In 2005 N.E. Lincs was declared the worst council in the country. There were moves to exclude any councillor with a vested interest from voting on the issue. Surprisingly most of the councillors who declared an interest were Labour. De Freitas and his cronies sacrificed the future of the football club on the altar of a few votes in the Great Coates area.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 29, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 64
Ridiculous suggestion that's clearly there as a spoiler to snaffle up the Parkway project.

Look, we all come from different political persuasions here.  Cards on the table, I've always been Conservative, but have friends in (as in members of and activists for, not just supporters) Labour too.  I think it's fair to say that no one party has covered itself in glory when it comes to being good for Grimsby.  If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this debate because the new ground would have been built donkeys years ago.

This is just another distraction from the matter at hand, namely that GTFC needs a new ground to survive as a football club and community asset.  In various studies and attempts over the last 25 years, the only viable site available to us now, has been shown conclusively to be Peaks Parkway.  End of Story.
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from 2578

Yes PFI was a massive waste and cost the taxpayer millions, just another reason Labour should never be trusted with the public purse strings, anyone still in doubt as to how incompetent the Labour Party is with regards to  the NHS, only has to look at the NHS in Wales which is still under labour control because for anyone who doesn't know NHS Wales is on its knees and close to breaking point.

PFI was first used by the Major administration in the early 1990s.Having known that it was a waste of money you would have expected the coalition to have ensured that its use was consigned to the dustbin of time. Not a bit of it! The coalition are still carrying out new work under PFI. In his first year as chancellor Osborne committed the tax payer to a further £61 billion of new PFI schemes.
The Tories are hamstrung by their dogma on the subject because they know as well as anyone that the answer to the problem of updating public sector entities such as schools and hospitals is to provide sufficient funding from the public sector. That is a complete anathema to them so it suits them to continue with PFI because a. they look as though they are doing something and b. these PFI contracts go to their friends so everyone's a winner-except the British tax paying public.
I don't pretend to fully understand what is happening in Wales although it appears fairly obvious that Labour must shoulder some of the blame-if not the current administration then the central government that saddled them with the PFI debts which still require to be paid off.
It amuses me when opponents of Labour point to Wales as a reason why Labour shouldn't be trusted when of course the NHS in England is being run so brilliantly. Waiting lists longer than ever, nurses and doctors deserting the sinking ship because of the Tories continued demonisation of the public sector and centralisation of services miles away from the people who need them. My girlfriend's father was taken ill in August and rushed to his nearest hospital in Whitehaven-20 minutes away. They saved his life and then told us how lucky he was because from 2015 the A and E intensive care facilities for West Cumbria are being moved to Carlisle-an hour away. It was their view that he probably wouldn't have survived the journey.
Posted by: Maringer, October 29, 2014, 8:59pm; Reply: 66
The Welsh government hasn't been spending enough on the NHS in Wales and they are now putting a bit more in. Of course, not enough but then they have similar budget restraints to everyone else. Useful information in this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29745559

I understand that the Daily Heil has been running a series of articles slating the NHS in Wales. How truthful they are, I don't know, but you can guarantee they won't be fair and balanced.

Thing to remember is that there is more poverty in Wales than any other region of the country (London aside). Poverty comes hand-in-hand with more serious health issues and therefore it is going to cost more to run the NHS there. Just a simple fact. I think the Welsh government actually spends more per capita than England (similarly, Scotland and NI also spend more), but then these countries have a lot more poverty to deal with than England as a whole so they do need more money.

The Kippers, of course, want to cut taxes further (not just inheritance tax) which would reduce the money available for the NHS throughout the UK. They are still hooked on the supply-side bullshit idea that cutting taxes magically increases the amount of money coming in as the economy booms under lower taxation. All the figures show this hasn't worked for the past 30-odd years but the right-wing loons in UKIP and the Conservatives don't like evidence-based policies. Not when they just know something works, deep in their bones. This is why Osborne and Co are slashing the size of the state on an unprecedented scale, regardless of the consequences. They just know that a smaller state is good and if the number of normal people in poverty happens to go up as the wealthy take an ever-greater share of the income, well that's just too bad.
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 9:10pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from GTFCNiles

Return Power to the UK

Protect Our Borders

Rebuild Prosperity

Safeguard Against Crime

Care And Support For All

Thanks for making available the UKIP manifesto-well today's version anyway. Could you do us a favour and let us know what next weeks is?

I don't know about anyone else but I don't feel that I can't do what I want as a British citizen. Being in Europe doesn't interfere one jot with my daily life. Oh hang on I was forgetting the fact that when I have to go for my regular check ups at the hospital I see a Polish consultant and then of course there is my Spanish dentist that is helping to bale out the NHS because our qualified dentists (most of whom benefited from the free education system in this country to qualify as dentists) decided to ditch the NHS some time back. Is it likely that DPOW hospital would use European staff if there was any possibility of recruiting sufficient suitable staff from the local area? Grimsby is a small place, the problem of staffing public sector operations in big cities is magnified tenfold. Nowhere in the quoted post do I see anything about what UKIP intend to do about the education system in order that we produce enough qualified people to do the jobs that desperately need doing-apart from backing the creation of new grammar schools which is a moot point at best.
The desire for binding referenda nationally and locally is pure populist claptrap. Firstly the costs associated with such exercises would be astronomical and secondly I believe we elect people to represent us. why not go the whole hog and have Government by referenda? I just hope we don't need to make a quick decision
The UKIP view that somehow people from abroad have to wait five years before being able to claim from a system that they will have been paying into since the day they started work here is bizarre. It would be interesting to see what UKIP supporters would say if their insurance company said "Yeah we'll take your money but don't have an accident or a fire at your home for five years because we won't pay out"
The last paragraph sums it up...Putting Britain First. Now where have I seen that?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2014, 9:12pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from grimsby pete

You are not the first person to say that to me

(bash)

Like I have said in my previous posts, they have no chance of getting in at Bury St Edmunds,

I use my vote as a protest because Labour have got no chance of getting in either,

I live in the middle of a very very strong Conservative area.

But you've already said that UKIP won't get in in your seat either Pete, so you may as well vote Labour. If UKIP have a reasonable chance of winning Bury then you are just helping the Tories' B Team get power.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 29, 2014, 9:24pm; Reply: 69
If I want to read a party political broadcast on behalf of ANY party I'll go on their website.
Any chance of any of the mods doing their job and moving this to non footy.
Then the loony (selling the country down the drain) leftys and the racist (probably homophobic and sexist) b@stard right wingers can crack on trying to score cheap points off each other.

FFS
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 9:34pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
How can you not vote labour...(Confused)

Melanie Onn is certainly an improvement on Austin Mitchell, Hello....! lol (wohow)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tJC9wCS.jpg[/img]

I prefer the one on the left ! ;)
Posted by: chrissy, October 29, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 71

But you've already said that UKIP won't get in in your seat either Pete, so you may as well vote Labour. If UKIP have a reasonable chance of winning Bury then you are just helping the Tories' B Team get power.

I think what Pete is saying voting UKIP is a protest vote,

Voting for Labour is not a protest,
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 10:14pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Civvy at last
If I want to read a party political broadcast on behalf of ANY party I'll go on their website.
Any chance of any of the mods doing their job and moving this to non footy.
Then the loony (selling the country down the drain) leftys and the racist (probably homophobic and sexist) b@stard right wingers can crack on trying to score cheap points off each other.

FFS

Calm down comrade!! :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 29, 2014, 10:20pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from chrissy

I think what Pete is saying voting UKIP is a protest vote,

Voting for Labour is not a protest,

Protest about what though?

"I'm drunk off with the party on the left that I used to support and I'm even more drunk off with the party on the right, so I'll vote for the party even further away from my values." Be better off voting for the SWP or Communists if it's a protest vote.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 29, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from barralad

Calm down comrade!! :)

You know as well as me that this thread has been hijacked.
But in typical lefty style you prefer to infiltrate and divide pretending you have the higher moral ground.

Shame on you  :P

Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 75

You know as well as me that this thread has been hijacked.
But in typical lefty style you prefer to infiltrate and divide pretending you have the higher moral ground.

Shame on you  :P

Lighten up old bean! As soon as the letters UKIP appeared in the blurb it was bound to happen. I've asked (nicely!!) that it be moved to the non-footie section  8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 29, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 76

Protest about what though?

"I'm drunk off with the party on the left that I used to support and I'm even more drunk off with the party on the right, so I'll vote for the party even further away from my values." Be better off voting for the SWP or Communists if it's a protest vote.

Neither of them are putting up in our area,

We have  Cons, Lab, Lib, Ukip or Green,

So which one would you like me to vote for ? :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 29, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from barralad

Lighten up old bean! As soon as the letters UKIP appeared in the blurb it was bound to happen. I've asked (nicely!!) that it be moved to the non-footie section  8)

Oh gosh, perhaps I should have asked nicely (whoops, neither of us have had our wishes).  Or maybe it suits certain personnel to get as many hits as possible on this site ??? ;)

Aaaaaarrrgh I've been drawn in to "non football"

Irony at its best
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 29, 2014, 10:38pm; Reply: 78
Quote"   In various studies and attempts over the last 25 years, the only viable site available to us now, has been shown conclusively to be Peaks Parkway.  End of Story."

Really ?? I very much doubt that.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 29, 2014, 11:13pm; Reply: 79
It's pathetic that this thread has been moved to non-footy. It's clearly still related to GTFC's stadium plans and the political issues surrounding them (minor monarchy discussion aside). Awful & weak moderating.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 30, 2014, 2:00am; Reply: 80
Tend to agree it should have stayed but in Rob's defence, he can't please everyone...

It's one of those "mixed" ones - where do they go ?

Perhaps you've just got to accept the "non footy" bit as part and parcel...?
I don't enjoy the party politics tangents either but moving it does feel a bit "kneejerk".  
Soon as you start pandering to "dislikes" it's a slippery slope...
Maybe it's a bit like me - generally disliked but generally accepted ! ;)

It's not like you don't get "non footy" posts dotted about the footy section.
Certainly see little point getting all "Anil" about whether every single post is "footy related".

End of the day it's Rob's site and tbf it was spiralling out of control a bit.
Posted by: barralad, October 30, 2014, 7:50am; Reply: 81
Quoted from Chrisblor
It's pathetic that this thread has been moved to non-footy. It's clearly still related to GTFC's stadium plans and the political issues surrounding them (minor monarchy discussion aside). Awful & weak moderating.

What's pathetic is this reaction. Has the thread been closed down? Are you prevented from clicking on the non-footy area to add your comments?

My view is that after the first couple of pages any link to GTFC disappeared. I certainly never mentioned them in any of the several contributions I've made to this thread. Grimsby Pete's voting intentions have more of a mention!
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 30, 2014, 8:11am; Reply: 82
Quoted from barralad

What's pathetic is this reaction. Has the thread been closed down? Are you prevented from clicking on the non-footy area to add your comments?

My view is that after the first couple of pages any link to GTFC disappeared. I certainly never mentioned them in any of the several contributions I've made to this thread. Grimsby Pete's voting intentions have more of a mention!

Well said comrade  ;)
Posted by: codcheeky, October 30, 2014, 8:24am; Reply: 83
Quoted from grimsby pete

Neither of them are putting up in our area,

We have  Cons, Lab, Lib, Ukip or Green,

So which one would you like me to vote for ? :)

As a life long labour supporter who thinks they no longer represent my views I will be supporting the Greens, the only party campaigning for a fairer more equal society.  Labour is lIke the old tory party now and people calling them the loony left are just people who believe anything the Daily mail says. Calling a person a loony because they have a very slightly different political view is not only bizaarre but quite dangerous in a democracy.

Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2014, 10:07am; Reply: 84
Quoted from barralad

I have changed my mind now,

I am going to vote for  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 30, 2014, 10:38am; Reply: 85
Quoted from barralad

It's pathetic because finally a thread shows up on here with some interesting discussion, broadly around the topic of GTFC's new stadium, then less than 24 hours after being posted it's shunted off to the lesser read non-footy board to die. All because a handful of posters and moderators objected to the thread going off on a minor, but still football related political tangent. This discussion was far more interesting than the typical content-less "guess the score" threads clogging up the main football forum. The topic of this thread is still UKIP's ludicrous stadium plans, and anyone who didn't visit the football forum before this thread was moved is unlikely to find this topic and contribute to the original discussion now (which is football related).
Posted by: ivanosandwich, October 30, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 86
Quoted from Chrisblor

It's pathetic because finally a thread shows up on here with some interesting discussion, broadly around the topic of GTFC's new stadium, then less than 24 hours after being posted it's shunted off to the lesser read non-footy board to die. All because a handful of posters and moderators objected to the thread going off on a minor, but still football related political tangent. This discussion was far more interesting than the typical content-less "guess the score" threads clogging up the main football forum. The topic of this thread is still UKIP's ludicrous stadium plans, and anyone who didn't visit the football forum before this thread was moved is unlikely to find this topic and contribute to the original discussion now (which is football related).

I notice you mentioned GTFC in your post. Shall we move it back to the Footy forum?

Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2014, 11:12am; Reply: 87
Quoted from Chrisblor

I agree with you Chris and it's partly my fault for going off track and I am sorry for that,

BUT

If I started a non footy thread on opera and somebody brought football into it,

Would the mods move it to the New Fishy Board ?

I bet they wouldn't.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 30, 2014, 11:59am; Reply: 88
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree with you Chris and it's partly my fault for going off track and I am sorry for that,

BUT

If I started a non footy thread on opera and somebody brought football into it,

Would the mods move it to the New Fishy Board ?

I bet they wouldn't.

If you started a thread on opera and after the initial flurry of "opera" posts it became blatantly clear to any "reasonable" poster that it had totally lost any discussion of opera and dissolved into which town player had the best voice, should rock concerts be held at BP to generate money for the club? etc etc etc then I'm sure if you gave the mods a nudge it could quite easily be move to the far more RELEVANT site. Which would of course be footy  :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2014, 12:18pm; Reply: 89

If you started a thread on opera and after the initial flurry of "opera" posts it became blatantly clear to any "reasonable" poster that it had totally lost any discussion of opera and dissolved into which town player had the best voice, should rock concerts be held at BP to generate money for the club? etc etc etc then I'm sure if you gave the mods a nudge it could quite easily be move to the far more RELEVANT site. Which would of course be footy  :)

;D 8)
Posted by: barralad, October 30, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Chrisblor

Fair points and apologies for my rather combative response this morning. I shouldn't post after getting virtually no sleep! :o

Posted by: Chrisblor, October 30, 2014, 1:43pm; Reply: 91

If you started a thread on opera and after the initial flurry of "opera" posts it became blatantly clear to any "reasonable" poster that it had totally lost any discussion of opera and dissolved into which town player had the best voice,should rock concerts be held at BP to generate money for the club? etc etc etc then I'm sure if you gave the mods a nudge it could quite easily be move to the far more RELEVANT site. Which would of course be footy  :)

The section I've bolded is still football related if you ask me! Anyway, I can understand the argument about this thread going somewhat off the original topic, but moving the thread over here significantly lessens the chance of a new poster seeing this thread and adding their contribution to the original stadium related issue. I know I look at the non-football board considerably less often than the football board and many discussions on here completely pass me by.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 30, 2014, 2:45pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Chrisblor

The section I've bolded is still football related if you ask me! Anyway, I can understand the argument about this thread going somewhat off the original topic, but moving the thread over here significantly lessens the chance of a new poster seeing this thread and adding their contribution to the original stadium related issue. I know I look at the non-football board considerably less often than the football board and many discussions on here completely pass me by.

Of course the section bolded is football related.  That's the whole point of that post. Pete said if he posted about opera in NON FOOTY it wouldn't get switched to FOOTY. I explained how it might change from 'opera ' topic to 'footy' and thus get switched.  I too was in a sh1tty mood last night and if the political discussion was interesting I may have read through it and joined in.  However whilst there were one or two decent comments, reading through post after post about how UKIP are tw@ts  and Petes' voting preference etc I got fed up.  I just felt that the vast majority of posts where not even remotely connected to GTFC in any way shape or form. That's why teddy got chucked out the pram.  I guess it's not that easy to call when a thread should or should not be switched though ?

And back on (Non footy  ;) ) topic regarding UKIP.  My twopenceworth is that like any product it is all about supply and demand.  UKIP came about because it would appear that non of the main parties are tackling immigration/Europe to the satisfaction of a fair number of voters.  I do understand why people vote for them and seriously believe and hope that it is a protest vote only.  For a party to get in one one issue (immigration) would be a very very sad day for all.  However, if their presence gives a kick up the backside to both main parties then I for one am glad they are around.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 93
My last word on the subject of UKIP is,

If there was any chance of them winning enough seats to either take power or have a big enough amount to be part of a coalition ,

Most voters would not vote for them,

Like I said before mine is a protest vote because I do not like any of the main parties at the moment,

Most of the other voters like me are using them to kick the others up the backside,

If it was not for UKIP Cameron would not be offering us a referendum on Europe,

Does anybody think he will take us out of Europe if the vote goes that way,?

I bet he will find a way to stay in stating I said you could have a referendum but I did not say I would act on it. ;D
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:54pm