Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 28, 2014, 6:54pm
Currently on the OS.

I remember that we all tried to get there the week before but the country was snowbound. Our coach got halfway down the A15 when we had to turn back.

We then stuffed them 3-0 at home in the replay in the game where Laws and Bonetti grudgingly shook hands on the pitch before the game.

[youtube]En2BIyY7Vfs[/youtube]
Posted by: Meza, October 28, 2014, 8:07pm; Reply: 1
Les you got a link to the replay?
Posted by: BIGChris, October 28, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHUwfkwNwfQ
Posted by: Meza, October 28, 2014, 8:13pm; Reply: 3
Thanks BigChris :)
Posted by: cod_head_doug, October 28, 2014, 9:26pm; Reply: 4
Fantastic memories, me and my mate Colin, went on one of the supporters coaches. We put a fiver on Town to win 2-1 on the night. My lasting memory was Neil Woods missing a great chance in the dying minutes. What a team we had in them days..........and after the replay win.......we got Chelsea !
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 28, 2014, 9:31pm; Reply: 5
I remember turning back from the A180, and then leaving school early to get the coach down for the re-arranged game.  Laws put us 1-0 up and Iain Dowie equalised.  

One of my best memories of Town in the Cup wasn't of going to a game though.  After having seen us beat Donneh and York, I decided I didn't want to go to Plough Lane with my Dad and Uncle for the Wimbledon and so missed one of the great Town away days.  One of my biggest regrets.
Posted by: cod_head_doug, October 28, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 6
For the first game I remember the snow. I lived in Scunny then and my mate Colin lived in Immingham.The road from Scunny to Immingham was just two ruts in the snow. I made it to Immingham and then struggled on to Grimsby to get the coach. Because of the weather we got to Blundell Park 20 minutes after the coaches were due to leave, but luckily they had not got there either. We got on our coach and everytime the radio said the game was still on there was a big roar. We made it just past Market Rasen when the game was called off and we had to turn back. It took me over 5 hours to do the round trip, such is the life of a travelling fan.
If I remember correctly a bloke from Grimsby set off from Grimsby on a pushbike to go to the game on a charity run and he made it to Upton Park only to find the game off........I was hacked off ......what must he have felt ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2014, 11:27pm; Reply: 7
We should have signed their no 5. Then there rely would have been a Grimsby Rieper.

Thanks for posting Les.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 28, 2014, 11:53pm; Reply: 8
Ah! Just remembered watching the highlights of the replay on Sportsnight or whatever the BBC midweek programme was then, and Hansen purring about Nicky "No Cross" Southall: "he gives it, and goes". Don't know why that stuck in my memory.

Listened to the replay on BBC London because it wasn't covered by Radio 5 and there was no internet commentary in those days. Having to listen to Jonathon Bloody Pearce before the game going on about how we'd had our Cup Final and Whammers saying how they were gonna "staff Grimsby". Then we "staffed" them despite our best player being out with a chicken sandwich related injury.

Couldn't resist ringing up for a gloat afterwards but the buggers wouldn't put me through for some reason  :)

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 6, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 9
And here's the replay in all it's glory.

[youtube]ZvsEyFnlyYk[/youtube]
Posted by: Billybigbollox, November 6, 2014, 8:34pm; Reply: 10
Ive got many cup games as a kid i loved the cup Boro and Reading away stick out for me!!!!!
The fans were awesome as was the team........I wish my lad could one day have the same memories  :)
UTM
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 6, 2014, 8:50pm; Reply: 11
Went to Upton Park for the 1st leg after my mate dropped out.
Was flogging my ticket outside the ground to a Town fan who asked me "It's not a fookin' forgery is it ?"  ;D
"No you'll be sat next to me mate" I said.
Never saw him again !

Never forget that night and the bloke who was facing us Town fans chanting "Sing your hearts out for the lads".

And think we needed to, cos they were all over us like a rash for long periods but we got the deserved replay.  :)
Which I sadly couldn't make being down in London.
Then was outside Stamford Bridge on the promise of a free ticket (that never showed) and heard the Chelsea cheers go up leaving the ground, walking back to the tube.
Gutted but what a cup run it was.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 6, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 120797
Went to Upton Park for the 1st leg after my mate dropped out.
Was flogging my ticket outside the ground to a Town fan who asked me "It's not a fookin' forgery is it ?"  ;D
"No you'll be sat next to me mate" I said.
Never saw him again !

Never forget that night and the bloke who was facing us Town fans chanting "Sing your hearts out for the lads".

And think we needed to, cos they were all over us like a rash for long periods but we got the deserved replay.  :)
Which I sadly couldn't make being down in London.
Then was outside Stamford Bridge on the promise of a free ticket (that never showed) and heard the Chelsea cheers go up leaving the ground, walking back to the tube.
Gutted but what a cup run it was.

It wasn't the first leg. It was the FA Cup, the game at BP was the replay.

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 6, 2014, 9:58pm; Reply: 13
Game sorry, not sure what I was thinking !
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:03pm