Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 23, 2014, 12:16pm
I SEE OUR ELECTED OBJECTIONER HAS FOUND SOMETHING ELSE TO KEEP HIMSELF BUSY WITH

Fears as 51 new Waltham homes rejected
By Grimsby Telegraph  |  Posted: October 23, 2014

OPPOSITION:  The area of land which had been earmarked for 51 new homes, behind Waltham Fire Station. Inset, Councillor Andrew De Freitas, who led the opposition.
Digsby
IM, Email, and Social Networks in one easy to use application!
http://kvors.com/click/?s=88377&c=89569&subid=21987
OPPOSITION: The area of land which had been earmarked for 51 new homes, behind Waltham Fire Station. Inset, Councillor Andrew De Freitas, who led the opposition.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Fears-51-new-Waltham-homes-rejected/story-23380258-detail/story.html#ixzz3GxvmfIw5
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook
Read more at http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Fears-51-new-Waltham-homes-rejected/story-23380258-detail/story.html#dHsFj9YGV03cD25j.99
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 23, 2014, 12:27pm; Reply: 1
No wonder UKIP have targeted Grimsby.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 23, 2014, 1:33pm; Reply: 2
This guy just comes across as a schmuck!

I bet when he drives anywhere it's "ah, I remember when this was all waste land and people living in mud huts........."
Posted by: denni266, October 23, 2014, 2:09pm; Reply: 3
About time voters saw the light and voted him out
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2014, 3:12pm; Reply: 4
I can't stand him either but I don't believe in shooting the messenger.

You only have to look at the photo to see what stupidity it would be to concrete over farmland with all the extra drainage and traffic problems it would cause, just so some developer can get rich quick.

Because that's all it is, a money spinner. And I don't even know anyone who lives up there these days so I've no axe to grind at all.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 23, 2014, 4:05pm; Reply: 5

You only have to look at the photo to see what stupidity it would be to concrete over farmland with all the extra drainage and traffic problems it would cause, just so some developer can get rich quick.

Because that's all it is, a money spinner. And I don't even know anyone who lives up there these days so I've no axe to grind at all.

Any idea who the developer is?
Posted by: barralad, October 23, 2014, 4:23pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from denni266

Probably my least favourite local politician ever but the people of Park Ward re-elect him time after time.....
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 23, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 7

http://planninganddevelopment.nelincs.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N5GRS2LJG7N00

There seems to be a well organised campaign against the plan. Quite fun reading planning objection letters. This is what to expect if we ever get to a planning application stage for a new ground.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, October 23, 2014, 4:47pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from denni266

He is up for election for May. The reason he gets in is because he does what his electors want. If we want to get the new ground there has to be a big effort to make sure your local councillors knows your views on this.
Posted by: rancido, October 23, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I bet when he drives anywhere it's "ah, I remember when this was all waste land and people living in mud huts........."

......and a schmuck is?
Posted by: Perkins, October 23, 2014, 5:03pm; Reply: 10
I think if and when we get a new ground it would be fitting to name one of the stands "The Up Yours Andrew De Freitas Stand"
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 23, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from rancido

......and a schmuck is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmuck_(pejorative)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Any idea who the developer is?

Only what the GT link says. "The agent, a Mr P Strawson". It doesn't say the name of the developer. No doubt it is available somewhere.

Posted by: Trawler, October 23, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 13
Likely then to be the Strawsons who are pretty major developers round these parts - IIRC they did the golf club development in Waltham

http://www.grimsbydistrictbuildersassociation.co.uk/Grimsby_District_Builders_Association/M_F_Strawson_Ltd.html

P Strawson probably the Paul Strawson mentioned on this web page
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 23, 2014, 5:31pm; Reply: 14
He should have stuck to cricket, good all rounder for Leicester and England in his day. ;)
Posted by: ackomariner, October 23, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Trawler
Likely then to be the Strawsons who are pretty major developers round these parts - IIRC they did the golf club development in Waltham

http://www.grimsbydistrictbuildersassociation.co.uk/Grimsby_District_Builders_Association/M_F_Strawson_Ltd.html

P Strawson probably the Paul Strawson mentioned on this web page

Wasn't it the  strawson family who pulled that house down on humberston ave to give access to their field at the back, and now got planning permission for 400 houses after they gave the council 750k to repair potholes
Posted by: ackomariner, October 23, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 16

Well I live right near the fire station and I'm glad it's been rejected, the traffic up this way because of tollbar is ridiculous
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2014, 5:57pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ackomariner

Well I live right near the fire station and I'm glad it's been rejected, the traffic up this way because of tollbar is ridiculous

Ah! I'll have to declare an interest now. I DO know someone who lives in the area! ;D

Posted by: ackomariner, October 23, 2014, 6:22pm; Reply: 18

Ah! I'll have to declare an interest now. I DO know someone who lives in the area! ;D

;)
Posted by: rancido, October 23, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I knew but I wondered if any other posters realised what is was derived from.
Posted by: rancido, October 23, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 20
The point is that the more housing developments there are on that part of NE Lincs ( Waltham/New Waltham/HoltonLeClay) then the greater will be the demand for a retail outlet/supermarket in the area ie off the Peaks Parkway.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2014, 7:44pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from rancido
The point is that the more housing developments there are on that part of NE Lincs ( Waltham/New Waltham/HoltonLeClay) then the greater will be the demand for a retail outlet/supermarket in the area ie off the Peaks Parkway.

Oh great! So the area has to have houses it doesn't need, in places that are unsuitable, on good quality farmland, filling a developer's pockets, just so a supermarket might possibly think it's worth investing in a retail park that would help to build a new football stadium?

I'm not sure you would get a lot of support for that idea on the south side of town. ;D

Posted by: rancido, October 23, 2014, 8:00pm; Reply: 22

Oh great! So the area has to have houses it doesn't need, in places that are unsuitable, on good quality farmland, filling a developer's pockets, just so a supermarket might possibly think it's worth investing in a retail park that would help to build a new football stadium?

I'm not sure you would get a lot of support for that idea on the south side of town. ;D

I feel you are missing the point. There must be a demand for housing or developers wouldn't risk advancing the cash to build them. Wherever houses are built then inevitably some developers will benefit and that is a fact of life. Whether you agree or not it seems to be a recognised fact that a/ the country needs more housing , especially affordable types and b/ one way to boost the economy is to build more houses. Obviously it is better if brownfield sites are used but it is inevitable that as towns/cities expand then some areas of farmland will get swallowed up. The expansion of suburbs creates the demand for more convenient shopping facilities. If the creation of these shopping facilities makes it easier for us to get a new ground then that is a bonus for us.
Posted by: scrumble, October 23, 2014, 9:13pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Same guy that said "Ah, I remember when this was a public right of way. Until I built a house on it, ignoring local planning laws and using my contacts to get the right of way moved after I'd built it."

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 23, 2014, 9:24pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from rancido

I feel you are missing the point. There must be a demand for housing or developers wouldn't risk advancing the cash to build them. Wherever houses are built then inevitably some developers will benefit and that is a fact of life. Whether you agree or not it seems to be a recognised fact that a/ the country needs more housing , especially affordable types and b/ one way to boost the economy is to build more houses. Obviously it is better if brownfield sites are used but it is inevitable that as towns/cities expand then some areas of farmland will get swallowed up. The expansion of suburbs creates the demand for more convenient shopping facilities. If the creation of these shopping facilities makes it easier for us to get a new ground then that is a bonus for us.

We are getting non-footy here but there is no massive demand for new housing outside of the south east and some of the conurbations. This is spec building of the kind we got in the 80s only it was more offices then. Stick 'em up, count the cash and move on. That was fuelled by this same idea that unemployment and the economy could be fixed by building stuff. The big builds of the 50s and 60s round here happened when the town was well off, good wages on the Bank and fish factories, skippers moving to the suburbs. There isn't that money here now to drive a house buying  boom so developers are playing the game of build for rent like Scartho Top. Retail is in the same boat - we don't get Debenhams, we get a bigger Primark and it's obvious why. So even if there were more people in houses in Waltham they wouldn't bring much demand for a Sainsburys. In any case a supermarket would be mad to put money into any brand new retail development just now. Even Ramsdens is downsizing and trying to use its land more profitably.

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:39am