Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinersmatt, October 21, 2014, 7:59pm
Was just wondering what everyones top 3 rivalries were. For me personally it's 1:Lincoln, 2: Hull and 3: Scunthorpe
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 21, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 1
1. Scunny  2. Hull (Although they wont see us as rivals) 3. Various yorkie clubs

Don't feel anything towards Lincoln. I find them amusing at how bitter they are towards town but that is it.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 21, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 2
1. North East Lincs Council 2. Scunny 3. Lincoln
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 21, 2014, 8:44pm; Reply: 3
Scunny,    Grimsby Borough,    Cleethorpes Town      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 21, 2014, 8:54pm; Reply: 4
Lincoln, Lincoln and Lincoln. ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, October 21, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 5
Your rivals are whoever you are likely to play in the divisions around you. So 1. Lincoln, 2.Scunny, 3. North Ferriby
Posted by: Simariner, October 21, 2014, 9:15pm; Reply: 6
Never really have seen Lincoln as our rivals. They seem to have a problem with us though.

Mine would be Hull, Scunny, Sheff U (or any yorkshire team 1hr away from GY)
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, October 21, 2014, 9:37pm; Reply: 7
Rivals
1= Scunny
2= Lincoln
3=Any Yorkshire team

Hull in past but we are unfortunately poles apart now and I actually see them as a help. We should look to their Youth team who dont quite make it at Premier league club and snap them up.
Posted by: wigworld, October 21, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 8
Scunthorpe then Lincoln. I don't really mind Hull.
Maybe it depends when you first started watching Town? Don't think I'd even heard of Lincoln when I used to go in the late 70's/early 80's.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 21, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 9
I always used to see Barnsley and the 2 Sheffield clubs as our main rivals. That was back in the day when we seemed to play Barnsley just about every season.
Posted by: northbankmariner, October 21, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 10
Guess there are a few rivalries out there, but for me I would probably list as follows.
1. Hull city I know we haven't played each other in a meaningful match for a number of years now and they probably won't see us rivals now, they just hate Leeds. But for me history is not forgotten and plenty of run-ins in the past with their fans still remain in the memory bank.
2. Scunthorpe United. Both clubs of similar stature but I guess rivalry is more a geographical thing but I did and always will feel a special buzz when playing them, god do I want to beat them.
3. Lincoln City. Pretty much the same reasons as above with scunny, love the atmosphere and tenseness during the game and it is just magical when you score against and beat them.

If I am being honest a lot of it stems from the late eighties/early nineties when there used to be a certain amount of trouble at these matches. The atmosphere used to be intense and it was serious rivalry off the pitch as well as on it. Back in the day that was just as exciting as the football. And no I was not or am a hooligan but like most young adults at the time found it interesting and this added very much to just a geographical rivalry, it was as much about larger gates and atmosphere, that is what creates a rivalry and these 3 will always be classed by myself as rivals,
I hold no hatred towards any of these but when playing them you would give anything for a win.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 21, 2014, 10:00pm; Reply: 11
Defruityarse

Scunts

Yorkie teams

Used to dislike west brom a lot, guessing it's because of the Buckley saga. Always remember bit of trouble with Peterborough, Northampton and tranmere.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 21, 2014, 10:04pm; Reply: 12
1. scunthorpe
2. lincoln
3. hull (but that has seemed to have calmed down recent in years)

out of curiousity, what's gateshead's derby for the past few seasons, is it us? :P
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2014, 10:09pm; Reply: 13
(1) Tom and Jerry
(2) Capitalism and Communism
(3) Gladstone and Disraeli
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 21, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 14
Cumnock, Glenafton, Irvine Meadow. ;)
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 21, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 15
Scunthorpe, Hull, with Barnsley a distant third.
Posted by: gaz57, October 21, 2014, 11:54pm; Reply: 16
At the moment I would say it was the council over the last 20 years. Such a long time as past with no real backing, with friends like that who needs enemies.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 22, 2014, 1:19am; Reply: 17
Scunthorpe. That's about it really. When we drew them in the cup last year the atmosphere was amazing.

Hull I'm not so fussed about. Being a Yorkshire Mariner I'm actually quite pleased there's a team from Yorkshire and/or Humberside in the top flight.

Lincoln I guess, I don't like them but it's not a derby that fills me with the buzz that a match against Scunny does.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 22, 2014, 1:53am; Reply: 18
I quite like seeing Hull and Scunny lose, but it hardly ruins my weekend if they don't.

In the Conference the only team I dislike is Gateshead.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 22, 2014, 7:43am; Reply: 19
At the moment it's Barnet and any team stopping us from getting out of this shitehole.

Being of a certain age, it was always the Yorkie club games that gave me the greatest buzz. The Sheffields and Barnsley's of this world, plus Scunny cos they are Scunny.
Posted by: fleabag1970, October 22, 2014, 7:49am; Reply: 20
If we don't get out of this league soon you can add Cleethorpes Town to the list ......................
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 22, 2014, 8:20am; Reply: 21
Nobody. Always been more interested in how Town play than what anyone else does.

As a kid I remember a lot of guff in the GT when we were playing Scunthorpe but that was mainly because there was a proper Scunthorpe Telegraph then. It was Blundell versus Poacher. But all the other teams seemed so far away, we never saw any away fans at BP and our fans rarely went to away games unless we were on hols in the district.

To be honest, even though some people think the atmosphere is better with away fans, in those days the games with 100% Mariners support were a lot more exciting in the late 50s & early 60s because we filled all 4 sides of the ground. For a long time our gang went in the Osmond and only migrated to the Barrett when we were thrown out to make room for a tiny number of away fans.
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, October 22, 2014, 8:45am; Reply: 22
I think its an age thing - for me it's Wendy, Sheff Utd & Barnsley but for the younger fans who it will be Scunts, Lincoln and the like as they haven't had the joy of watching us compete against the 'bigger' teams.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 22, 2014, 9:13am; Reply: 23
Both Sheffield clubs and Barnsley for me. Hard call as I wanted to slot in Stoke and Rotherham.
I love winding my Scunt workmates up by insisting our hardcore Lincolnshire rivals are Boston.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 22, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 24
Hull. i hate them and dislike what they have had done for them ( yes im jealous of what they have)

Scunny, just weird people

Gateshead for me come third, i dont like the people. i dont like the team, i dont like the manager and i hope they go bust

UTM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 22, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Hagrid
Hull. i hate them and dislike what they have had done for them ( yes im jealous of what they have)

Scunny, just weird people

Gateshead for me come third, i dont like the people. i dont like the team, i dont like the manager and i hope they go bust

UTM

I wish you would stop mincing your words and tell it like it is.

;)

Posted by: Hagrid, October 22, 2014, 11:35am; Reply: 26

I wish you would stop mincing your words and tell it like it is.

;)

its wednesday mate!;) and works dragging so ive gotta lash out somehow!
Posted by: 0ld timer, October 22, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 27
wendys ,mudrats , scunts
Posted by: gtfczak, October 22, 2014, 5:21pm; Reply: 28
1) Scunthorpe   2) Lincoln   3) Boston
Posted by: barralad, October 22, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 29
Apparently we have played Lincoln more than any other team over the years, the second most often played opposition is Barnsley (must be something to do with Scunny only haveing a League team from the 50s)
Posted by: GrimRob, October 22, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from barralad
Apparently we have played Lincoln more than any other team over the years, the second most often played opposition is Barnsley (must be something to do with Scunny only haveing a League team from the 50s)

You can see the numbers here:

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8056267

Barnsley top, then Lincoln, Chesterfield, Port Vale, Wolves, Notts Co,......
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 23, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 31
Soon to be replaced by.......alfreton, Gateshead and dartford
Posted by: psgmariner, October 30, 2014, 4:14pm; Reply: 32
Telegraph seem to rate our derby with Lincoln. Very odd list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11197636/The-20-fiercest-rivalries-in-English-football-by-Jonathan-Liew.html?frame=3089983
Posted by: RoboCod, October 30, 2014, 5:02pm; Reply: 33
How many of our older more traditional rivals asked to swap the festive game for a September date ?

none
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 30, 2014, 5:24pm; Reply: 34
1. De Freitas

2. NELC

3. Scunts
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 31, 2014, 12:57am; Reply: 35
Quoted from psgmariner

That's bizzare. The two legs of Grimsby vs. Scunthorpe last season were more tense, built-up and fierce than any Grimsby vs. Lincoln I've ever been to... and bloody great fun.

Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 12:52pm