Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, October 16, 2014, 8:54pm
What is really irritating me at the minute is the Telegraph's insistence on listing a player's former clubs in the headlines when referring to a current Town player.

When they are here I don't really see the need for this. What is wrong with 'Town's new keeper coach may have duel role' instead of listing his four 'former' clubs? It is something I've noticed over recent weeks in between various pop-up ads.

Rant over!

Posted by: mariner2000, October 16, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 1
I said this a couple of weeks ago on here but everyone ignored me! :(

I think it's very very poor journalism if they can't think of an alternative way of writing a headline.
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, October 16, 2014, 9:35pm; Reply: 2
Glad it's not just me then. I agree it's pretty poor journalism but in reality that seems to go hand in hand with the publication!
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 16, 2014, 9:38pm; Reply: 3
It's a SEO (search engine optimisation) thing that they do because it's an utter nonsense of a publication these days.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 16, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 4
I liked it when they referred to Pittman as 'ex Aston Villa'. Didn't he play for them until he was about 15?!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, October 16, 2014, 9:54pm; Reply: 5
It's something they've been told to do as other papers in their group do it. Not poor journalism!
Posted by: mariner2000, October 16, 2014, 11:30pm; Reply: 6
poor journalism by the group then!
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 17, 2014, 12:13am; Reply: 7
sad thing is that a quick google would have told them he's ex-gtfc anyway. 2mins in on this video:

[youtube]Sudg70O85Kw[/youtube]
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, October 17, 2014, 12:15am; Reply: 8
Happy Mariner - absolutely a man after my own heart!
When I read former Charlton Athletic player Aswad Thomas etc,  I nearly blew my effing top!

Why would a Grimsby-based newspaper think Charlton Athletic would be key words to type in?

What next? Former Nottingham Forest striker Alan Buckley??

I work in the newspaper industry and teach journalism skills in HE, and while the SEO is a valid point (eg: if you use Grimsby Town enough times in a headline someone is more likely to find the GT) it needs to be used sensibly.

Great headline writing is a top skill to have for a sub-editor, but like a lot of basic skills in the industry, has become under-valued on the alter of 'must get news online ASAP' and to hell with quality'... that's why much of the website material on local rags is littered with mistakes (no-one employs proofreaders any more).

Sloppy journalism has been allowed to flourish due to big corporations putting profit and cost-cutting over everything else.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 17, 2014, 12:35am; Reply: 9
It's that thing Chrisblor said. Anyone searching for Charlton will dig up the GrimTel so it gets more hits which they can then tell prospective advertisers.

Also as that Dave Gorman bloke pointed out on the telly, they're not local papers any more so its identikit "articles" written to a template with just a change in the location of the dogging sites.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 17, 2014, 11:37am; Reply: 10
I tried to follow the Lincoln game the other night on my tablet in the living room, but the updated text commentary was very quickly obliterated by an ad for ringtones that I couldn't shift.

The whole newspaper group in charge are rubbish.
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 17, 2014, 2:37pm; Reply: 11
What amazes me is that anybody buys or even chooses to read the telegraph anymore.t
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 17, 2014, 3:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from friskneymariner
What amazes me is that anybody buys or even chooses to read the telegraph anymore.t

I am a former Telegraph reader. :)
Posted by: gtfc98, October 17, 2014, 4:34pm; Reply: 13
former Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa youth team player Pittman may be on the bench on saturday.
Posted by: Happy_Mariner, October 17, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from friskneymariner

I certainly wouldn't buy it, but as an exile I like to keep up to date with the affairs of my Motherland!

Posted by: oldun, October 17, 2014, 6:07pm; Reply: 15
Don't worry folks it will be a weekly sooner rather than later. Might as well read Nigel Lowther's Cleethorpes Chronical. At least he is a fan.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 17, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from oldun
Don't worry folks it will be a weekly sooner rather than later. Might as well read Nigel Lowther's Cleethorpes Chronical. At least he is a fan.

Everyone I speak to from scunny at work says that now their paper is a weekly, it's only good for the deaths and court appearance columns :(
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 17, 2014, 6:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from gtfc98
former Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa youth team player Pittman may be on the bench on saturday.

Thank god we never signed john burridge
Posted by: Abdul19, October 17, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

;D
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 17, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from RoboCod
I tried to follow the Lincoln game the other night on my tablet in the living room, but the updated text commentary was very quickly obliterated by an ad for ringtones that I couldn't shift.

The whole newspaper group in charge are rubbish.

I too followed it on my tablet, in the living room (not your living room), and it was no problem at all.
You need to adjust your browser security settings.

UTM
Posted by: cagneysav, October 17, 2014, 8:21pm; Reply: 20
what you have to realise is. the telegraph has gone downhill more than the Mariners have in the last ten years
Posted by: RoboCod, October 17, 2014, 8:25pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from mariner tommy

I too followed it on my tablet, in the living room (not your living room), and it was no problem at all.
You need to adjust your browser security settings.

UTM

I actually tried it again a little later and the pop up had gone, but when it first appeared no amount of settings adjustments would shift it, . No close button on it either, just a stupidly annoying ad.
Posted by: mariner2000, October 17, 2014, 8:34pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

but we did in 95-96
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 17, 2014, 10:46pm; Reply: 23
This is the headline that annoys me the most.

"Grimsby Town boss Paul Hurst hails Torquay United as 'best team' they've faced in the Conference- as he targets 'major improvement' "
Just fed up of this constant talking up of the opposition to prepare everyone for the worst.

Posted by: LH, October 17, 2014, 10:49pm; Reply: 24
Maybe there is a journalist writing the headline rather than Hurst himself?...
Posted by: chaos33, October 17, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 25

"Grimsby Town boss Paul Hurst hails Torquay United as 'best team' they've faced in the Conference- as he targets 'major improvement' "
Just fed up of this constant talking up of the opposition to prepare everyone for the worst.

I know what you mean
Posted by: Abdul19, October 18, 2014, 12:10am; Reply: 26
That headline annoys me because it's far too long!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 18, 2014, 12:31am; Reply: 27

Reverse psychology i'm led to believe.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 18, 2014, 8:03am; Reply: 28
Quoted from promotion plaice

Reverse psychology i'm led to believe.

Certainly puts my enthusiasm into reverse. :-/

Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 6:31am