Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 13, 2014, 1:51pm
Cleethorpes Town are offering special discount entry to all Grimsby Town season ticket holders and Mariners Trust members for their next 2 league games, this coming Saturday 18th (we are away at Torquay) when they take on Glasshoughton in the league and also the following Wednesday (22nd Oct) when they entertain Garforth.

Any season ticket holder or trust member can gain entry for only £3.50 by showing their season ticket or with proof of being a Trust member. If it works they will continue to run it through the season when The Mariners are away as they are looking at ways to increase the numbers attending games. Some of the sides in their league get gates of  200 plus at their games and because they play from their own ground they can afford to pay that bit more to get the better players in. Clee have a slightly different remit but want to be able to keep the better players from the town disappearing.

I would think there will be something in the telegraph about this in the next few days but I have been asked to post this on here so as many people as possible get to know about this deal. So, if you're not going down to Torquay on Saturday, get yourself along to The Bradley FDC and cheer on The Owls and also a week on Wednesday rather that staying in and watching Coronation Street.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 13, 2014, 2:50pm; Reply: 1
Great idea from then and maybe something town could do too
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2014, 3:54pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Great idea from then and maybe something town could do too

What give free entry to all Cleethorpes  season ticket holders ?  ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 13, 2014, 3:59pm; Reply: 3
That's a bit harsh on them Pete ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
That's a bit harsh on them Pete ;)

;D I see we have got Humble back,

The loan was agreed by the FA but the League they are in said no,

They must have thought he was too good for that league,

Which he is.
Posted by: mariner2000, October 13, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete

;D I see we have got Humble back,

The loan was agreed by the FA but the League they are in said no,

They must have thought he was too good for that league,

Which he is.

Yeah not seen any quote as to why...
Posted by: mariner2000, October 13, 2014, 7:50pm; Reply: 6
On the subject of Cleethorpes Town, just seen their team wear, puts GTFC to shame, why is it that Cleethorpes Town can stock about 3 million clothing itens yet GTFC can only stock 2 ot 3??

I know the Cleethorpes Town stuff might just be a transfer logo but we really need to do better!!
Posted by: lobsterpot, October 14, 2014, 4:45pm; Reply: 7
Why do we continue to promote watching another team just cos' we are playing away??? Get your ar$es to the away game! Shhesh is it just me??? :B All i can say is thank God they got knocked out of the FA Cup as i was beginning to think they were the big boys in the area! Has anyone been on the CTFC forum and suggested when they are away they can come watch town for a tenner?
Posted by: LH, October 14, 2014, 7:59pm; Reply: 8
You won't catch me watching them Cleethorpes inbreds. GY TIL I DIE!!!11
Posted by: Abdul19, October 14, 2014, 8:09pm; Reply: 9
I'm going along to let off some smoke bombs.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 14, 2014, 8:16pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm going along to let off some smoke bombs.

;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2014, 9:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from LH
You won't catch me watching them Cleethorpes inbreds. GY TIL I DIE!!!11

Oi, watch it you marsh dwelling amphibian!

Meggie and Proud  ;)
Posted by: OneLove, October 14, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 12
support your local teams, guarantee a majority of people who support town support a premier league club too!
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 15, 2014, 12:10am; Reply: 13
Quoted from lobsterpot
Why do we continue to promote watching another team just cos' we are playing away??? Get your ar$es to the away game! Shhesh is it just me??? :B All i can say is thank God they got knocked out of the FA Cup as i was beginning to think they were the big boys in the area! Has anyone been on the CTFC forum and suggested when they are away they can come watch town for a tenner?

I don´t agree mate. Lots of people can´t get to the away games for a whole host of reasons, money, distance, age, other Saturday commitments... it´s supporting local footy. Can´t see the probem.

I often go watch a few of the West Yorkshire conference North (and lower) teams play when I can't afford a train fare and match ticket to travel down to London (for example) to watch Town away. Doesn't mean I support Town any less.
Posted by: Tommy, October 15, 2014, 12:16am; Reply: 14
Have to say I'm with lobsterpot on this one.

It doesn't make you any less of a Town fan to go and watch them, but personally I'd sooner spend a fiver in the GTFC club shop than put it into a sunday league club (no offence intended by that, but thats essentially what they are)
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 15, 2014, 12:33am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Tommy
Have to say I'm with lobsterpot on this one.

It doesn't make you any less of a Town fan to go and watch them, but personally I'd sooner spend a fiver in the GTFC club shop than put it into a sunday league club (no offence intended by that, but thats essentially what they are)

I guess it's a case of each to their own, but I like watching the live football, even if I don't have any emotional attachment to the teams I'm watching. It cannot ever be compared to watching Town (with all the joy, anger, heart-in-mouth stuff that goes with it), but I do like having a beer and watching a live game. It's refreshingly nice when you don't mind who wins or loses. And if it's local and Conference North or lower, it's about £3-4 in and there's often a decent bar in the ground.

But outside personal preferences, I don't think it hurts having a good relationship with a much lower-down local side. Hull and North Ferriby for example. For me it's another method for the club to be supporting the wider community.
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 15, 2014, 7:33pm; Reply: 16
I well remember going to watch the likes of Grimsby Ross Borough in the late 1980's when I simply couldn't get to away games due to personal circumstances, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Also took in the old Immingham Town on occasion and even went a couple of times to North Ferriby. Was starting to get more than slightly disillusioned with the Football League wholesale in those days, and when I moved to Scotland I started to watch nothing but non league football, and am now following Auchinleck Talbot in my 24th season, and have been a season ticket holder for a while as well.

Due to the amount of Cup competitions the league itself is only 22 matches, albeit the league never finishes before June! For my 11 home games my season ticket costs me just £50, or it's £5 if you pay at the gate. A 35 mms dram and a pint of Guinness before the game costs me £4. Pies are £1.20, and scotch pies, despite whatever anyone other then Scots folk will tell you are the best you'll find anywhere in the UK!

All the fans know the players and the committee (who run the club, there's no PLC's or the like up here) and it's the same the other way around. Talbot are most definitely a community club, and the most successful club in their grade by a country mile. I get a really decent grade of football for my entrance fee, and I genuinely feel a part of the club. I still love the Town, that'll never go, but my first love now is Auchinleck - something I never, ever, thought would happen when I moved north in 1991, and that's all down to feeling wanted and valued at the club, something that just doesn't happen at BP.

When I saw the news today about the cost of football I laughed my bottom off as the current phraseology goes. Te professional game in England nowadays is the preserve of the middle class, with working class folk priced out of the game, and deliberately so. In Scotland, the Junior grade is the ultimate in working class football, hence the reason I love it - no prima donnas, no sugar daddies, no foreign ownership of clubs - just good, honest, football and all it entails.
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 15, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jock dock tower
I well remember going to watch the likes of Grimsby Ross Borough in the late 1980's when I simply couldn't get to away games due to personal circumstances, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Also took in the old Immingham Town on occasion and even went a couple of times to North Ferriby. Was starting to get more than slightly disillusioned with the Football League wholesale in those days, and when I moved to Scotland I started to watch nothing but non league football, and am now following Auchinleck Talbot in my 24th season, and have been a season ticket holder for a while as well.

Due to the amount of Cup competitions the league itself is only 22 matches, albeit the league never finishes before June! For my 11 home games my season ticket costs me just £50, or it's £5 if you pay at the gate. A 35 mms dram and a pint of Guinness before the game costs me £4. Pies are £1.20, and scotch pies, despite whatever anyone other then Scots folk will tell you are the best you'll find anywhere in the UK!

All the fans know the players and the committee (who run the club, there's no PLC's or the like up here) and it's the same the other way around. Talbot are most definitely a community club, and the most successful club in their grade by a country mile. I get a really decent grade of football for my entrance fee, and I genuinely feel a part of the club. I still love the Town, that'll never go, but my first love now is Auchinleck - something I never, ever, thought would happen when I moved north in 1991, and that's all down to feeling wanted and valued at the club, something that just doesn't happen at BP.

When I saw the news today about the cost of football I laughed my bottom off as the current phraseology goes. Te professional game in England nowadays is the preserve of the middle class, with working class folk priced out of the game, and deliberately so. In Scotland, the Junior grade is the ultimate in working class football, hence the reason I love it - no prima donnas, no sugar daddies, no foreign ownership of clubs - just good, honest, football and all it entails.

Sounds great to be fair, and I genuienly think there's a lot to be said about non-league for retaining the roots of football, and the local connection is brilliant. GTFC are pretty good at the community side-stuff, I get the impression (although not direclty as don't live there) that they are an integral part of the community. Out of interest, what numbers do Auchinleck Talbot get generally through the gate?
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 16, 2014, 11:19am; Reply: 18
I think if you average it out over the year we get between 450 and 500. That's not bad when you consider that as a village that was decimated after the Miner's Strike in 1984-5 there really was nothing left, and the population is some 4,000 now, although we do pull in fans from the surrounding villages as well. I travel 31 miles each way to get to the games.

Because of the community aspect to the club we also have a huge away following in terms of the home crowds, and it would be most unusual for us not to have at least 300 fans at most away games - but you have to take into account that the Junior game is run on a regional basis. Talbot's furthest away game this season is less than 50 miles away. Because of this we usually attract the highest home gates for most clubs in the Western Super League.

Have travelled far and wide watching them, and to save the club money on the long away trips up to the north of Scotland, one of the Supporter's clubs (there's 4 believe it or not) makes it a weekend away with an overnight in Aberdeen or the likes thrown in, and all concerned pay an extra £20 on what you would normally expect for such a trip, so a 50 seater bus then pays for the team to travel up free of cost. Have been on one of these myself and it is an education in drinking! Usually though I go either by car, or for the cup tie at Banks O'Dee a week on Saturday am going up on the train (400 plus miles round trip) because I can get a return fare for £19 between October and the end of November because of Scotrail's over 55 club which lets you travel between any two stations in Scotland for £19 in those two months. There'll probably be a few folk doing this trip by train so should be a great day out, albeit a very long alcoholic one.

http://auchinlecktalbotfc.proboards.com/
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 16, 2014, 1:11pm; Reply: 19
I think if you average it out over the year we get between 450 and 500. That's not bad when you consider that as a village that was decimated after the Miner's Strike in 1984-5 there really was nothing left, and the population is some 4,000 now, although we do pull in fans from the surrounding villages as well. I travel 31 miles each way to get to the games.

Because of the community aspect to the club we also have a huge away following in terms of the home crowds, and it would be most unusual for us not to have at least 300 fans at most away games - but you have to take into account that the Junior game is run on a regional basis. Talbot's furthest away game this season is less than 50 miles away. Because of this we usually attract the highest home gates for most clubs in the Western Super League.

Have travelled far and wide watching them, and to save the club money on the long away trips up to the north of Scotland, one of the Supporter's clubs (there's 4 believe it or not) makes it a weekend away with an overnight in Aberdeen or the likes thrown in, and all concerned pay an extra £20 on what you would normally expect for such a trip, so a 50 seater bus then pays for the team to travel up free of cost. Have been on one of these myself and it is an education in drinking! Usually though I go either by car, or for the cup tie at Banks O'Dee a week on Saturday am going up on the train (400 plus miles round trip) because I can get a return fare for £19 between October and the end of November because of Scotrail's over 55 club which lets you travel between any two stations in Scotland for £19 in those two months. There'll probably be a few folk doing this trip by train so should be a great day out, albeit a very long alcoholic one.

http://auchinlecktalbotfc.proboards.com/

Time for a couple of hours in Glasgae on the way there eh John?
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 16, 2014, 2:50pm; Reply: 20
It's an early start, and train out of Central Station is 10.30am ish, so it's rations on the train instead of a few of the mouth watering real ale houses nearby Les! Train back from Aberdeen gets in just after 10pm so time for a couple before the last train back to Dumfries - which is always the loudest, sweariest, booziest train ride anybody could ever imagine, and it's chocker all the way.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 16, 2014, 3:03pm; Reply: 21
I contacted  the club today, if you bring proof of your benefits, you can get in for £2.50
Posted by: psgmariner, October 16, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 22
Are there any discounts for Hull City fans at Grimsby?
Posted by: northbankmariner, October 16, 2014, 3:40pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MarinerWY

I guess it's a case of each to their own, but I like watching the live football, even if I don't have any emotional attachment to the teams I'm watching. It cannot ever be compared to watching Town (with all the joy, anger, heart-in-mouth stuff that goes with it), but I do like having a beer and watching a live game. It's refreshingly nice when you don't mind who wins or loses. And if it's local and Conference North or lower, it's about £3-4 in and there's often a decent bar in the ground

Couldn't agree more with you on this one, just watching live football is great. With this in mind I have found out that north ferriby are playing hosts to guiseley on Saturday, was thinking of popping down to check on towns fa cup opponents. Mind you was a bit surprised to find it was £12 to get in!!! Nice friendly club with a decent bar though.
Posted by: lobsterpot, October 16, 2014, 4:02pm; Reply: 24
There's a good argument for whichever side of the fence you sit. I'm not saying it's wrong in anyway at all it's obvs just a personal thing. I will add tho' that if you want to watch ' live ' football then Bradley is always good on a Saturday and Sunday morning for free and the £5 you save for not going to each CTFC game could soon add up and be chucked in the pot for a few away games nearer the end of the season ;)
Anyways, my last post on here till next week so i'll see some of you at Torquay, stay safe wherever you choose to be this weekend lads :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 16, 2014, 4:02pm; Reply: 25
It's an early start, and train out of Central Station is 10.30am ish, so it's rations on the train instead of a few of the mouth watering real ale houses nearby Les! Train back from Aberdeen gets in just after 10pm so time for a couple before the last train back to Dumfries - which is always the loudest, sweariest, booziest train ride anybody could ever imagine, and it's chocker all the way.

I thought that Scotrail had banned alcohol on their trains after 9pm John or will it be whisky is a coke bottle?
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 22, 2014, 11:42am; Reply: 26
I understand around 40 Mariners fans took advantage of this offer on Saturday so that's not too bad.

They are also running the same offer tonight for their game against Garforth.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 22, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 27
There was a decent sized crowd for them there last Saturday, but it still falls short of the 200 GTC fans that they are wanting each game.  Please come and support them.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 10, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 28
Cleethorpes are running the same offer again this Saturday for Grimsby Town season ticket holders and Trust members so if you're not going to Altrincham and want a Saturday afternoon football fix then get down to Bradley FDC to see Clee take on Maltby Main. (3pm kick-off)
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:37pm