Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 12, 2014, 10:29pm
http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/FC/vtophalf.html
Take a look at football 365 and you can see the league table split between games against the top half teams and bottom half teams.

Against top half teams Town are 2nd with 15 points from 16, just one point Barnet.  This is grist to the optimists' mill and shows why the players genuinely say the fear no-one.

However, against the bottom half teams, Town have got 9 points from 8 and are 20th.  That points rate against the worst teams in the league makes us practically relegstion fodder.

Is it any wonder fans are so frustrated when we have a potential top of the table side which keeps showing relegation form.

There is still time to turn it around but something has to change.  It feels like we give too much respect to the poorer teams and this stems from the negative, downbeat attitude of the manager.
Posted by: denni266, October 13, 2014, 7:32am; Reply: 1
I think  we all know that we just dont win as many games against bottom half teams, especially at home.  The last sentence  is so true,  I joked before about him being an away/ defence manager, and having someone else as home manager
Posted by: fleabag1970, October 13, 2014, 7:44am; Reply: 2
Just a thought , as a defensive coach it is probably easier to set up a team to go away from home and sneak some points. However at home whan the expectation is to attack problems arise , does he go 442 to keep the natives happy ? As i have stated before untill the midfield start coming forward more . at home matches, we are going to struggle to break teams down who park the bus ( a bit like england they miss gerrard in that way)

As someone pointed out in the Forum , do we need a coach who knows how to set up a team to attack because the defence is the best in the league ..................................
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2014, 11:47am; Reply: 3
Quoted from denni266
I think  we all know that we just dont win as many games against bottom half teams, especially at home.  The last sentence  is so true,  I joked before about him being an away/ defence manager, and having someone else as home manager

That's a great idea , Paul could job share,  he would not lose any money,

Paul does the away games Mrs  H  does the home ones . ;D 8)

I bet she could give a more positive team talk before the game.
Posted by: Garth, October 13, 2014, 12:04pm; Reply: 4
We need a striker and apart from tomorrow nights cup game Paul has all week to find one, if I was in charge I would tell Paul leave Lincoln to others and bring in a striker pronto
Posted by: grimps, October 13, 2014, 1:57pm; Reply: 5
Its been the same foor the 4 years Hurst has been here , he has failed to come up with a plan to break down teams tat come to Blundell park to defend .
I cant see anything changing to be honest  :-/
Posted by: fiveallive, October 13, 2014, 6:53pm; Reply: 6
Most teams come here with the same game plan of keep tight, park the bus and get goal if you can, the only reason we beat Alfreton and Chester was because they came out with a different mentality, We do well against the top half of teams because their after a win so they come here and attack. I think we do need a attacking coach because PH gets bogged down by defensive thoughts we should of put Dover and Nuneaton away but he tries to keep them at draws because he's scared to loose games at home by going for the win.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 13, 2014, 7:05pm; Reply: 7
This isn't a new thing which has occurred. Our attacking threat has been poor since the Hearn/ Elding partnership was broken.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 13, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 8
Our record this season is 6 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses. Just changing 3 of them draws for wins would have seen us second in the league and 3 points of the leaders. We need it sorting out soon rather than later before its too late.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 14, 2014, 9:59am; Reply: 9
Quoted from fiveallive
Most teams come here with the same game plan of keep tight, park the bus and get goal if you can, the only reason we beat Alfreton and Chester was because they came out with a different mentality, We do well against the top half of teams because their after a win so they come here and attack. I think we do need a attacking coach because PH gets bogged down by defensive thoughts we should of put Dover and Nuneaton away but he tries to keep them at draws because he's scared to loose games at home by going for the win.

I don't go with this get an attacking coach in, I just wonder how many other teams have one.

The manager must stand and fall by his decisions whether he sends a team out to defend or attack.

As regards teams coming and "parking the bus" I think this is a poor excuse because we didn't have the ability to break down some of the poorer sides in this league and what message is Paul Hurst sending out by playing a lone striker up front?

As for us doing well against the better sides, we may have had some good results but we couldn't beat Bristol Rovers when we had the chances and we were poor against Torquay.

For me we are just too inconsistent whoever we are playing.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 14, 2014, 10:08am; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete

That's a great idea , Paul could job share,  he would not lose any money,

Paul does the away games Mrs  H  does the home ones . ;D 8)

I bet she could give a more positive team talk before the game.

It was rumoured that a supporter gave a pre match team talk to Luton before they went on their great run last season
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 11
Our record must have a scratch in it. We get the same thing each season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2014, 9:52pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimps
Its been the same foor the 4 years Hurst has been here , he has failed to come up with a plan to break down teams tat come to Blundell park to defend .
I cant see anything changing to be honest  :-/

Agree. Our better results seem to have been against sides who came out to play, but there seems to be no clue about how to outwit the sides who pack defence.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 6:47am