Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 12, 2014, 11:22am
I know they have got alot of stick for using them smoke bombs ect, but to be fair to them, they travel to alot of games, pay to hire a mini bus, and create a great atmosphere for the players.

So I agree sometimes the smoke bombs are annoying and dangerous, but fair play to them for creating a brilliant atmosphere
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 12, 2014, 11:35am; Reply: 1
Agree with everything bar the smoke bombs, they're quite suffocating
Posted by: Meza, October 12, 2014, 11:47am; Reply: 2
They (the fans) probably do add extra atmosphere but using smoke bombs is an accident waiting to happen and I just don't want us tarnished with such incident thats all.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 12, 2014, 11:50am; Reply: 3
They have really improved the atmosphere away from home over this season and last season. Its a shame we cant make an atmosphere at BP but it is pretty difficult to do with 20 away fans.
Posted by: Garth, October 12, 2014, 11:52am; Reply: 4
Ban smoke bombs, people with breathing difficulties suffer, they are not necessary
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 12, 2014, 2:52pm; Reply: 5
I'll repeat what I said in the 'just back' thread : Finally, a message to the 'Teenage Cas(ual) Club': If you must insist on bringing flares/smoke bombs to 'enhance' the atmosphere be sensible with them. Let them off around you mates and not in the faces of little kids as you did when you all piled down the front of the stand and don't aim them at people. The second one landed very close to to Wrexham stewards. You should remember most people stewarding at this level are doing it because they are football fans too - not for the money. I hope it doesn't result any fines for the club.

Fair play for renting a mini bus and being organised though. Supporting your local club with your mates it's what it's all about. When done in the right way. The shenanigans at Wrexham General just don't reflect well on the club, Grimsby or Lincolnshire so try to think about that.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 12, 2014, 3:31pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I'll repeat what I said in the 'just back' thread : Finally, a message to the 'Teenage Cas(ual) Club': If you must insist on bringing flares/smoke bombs to 'enhance' the atmosphere be sensible with them. Let them off around you mates and not in the faces of little kids as you did when you all piled down the front of the stand and don't aim them at people. The second one landed very close to to Wrexham stewards. You should remember most people stewarding at this level are doing it because they are football fans too - not for the money. I hope it doesn't result any fines for the club.

Fair play for renting a mini bus and being organised though. Supporting your local club with your mates it's what it's all about. When done in the right way. The shenanigans at Wrexham General just don't reflect well on the club, Grimsby or Lincolnshire so try to think about that.

i wouldn't imagine  they post on here to be honest.  It is a common thing all up and down the country to be fair with away followings with 300+ fans. We never see it at BP  for the simple reason teams don't travel in numbers. Not that I am defending it but like you said if they are going to let of smoke bombs do it in the vicinity of themselves instead of throwing them at someone more vulnerable.

Also whilst on the topic of stewards why on earth do we insist on having so many on duty for away followings of less than 50? I don't know how much they get paid but it just seems stupid with them having that many when there is hardly ever a chance there will be trouble. Other than Lincoln, Wrexham, Halifax, Gateshead, Bristol Rovers and Chester we are not likely to see away followings of 100 so why do we have 100+ stewards on duty.
Posted by: immariner, October 12, 2014, 3:42pm; Reply: 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I7txv96Yr4

This vid would be great without the smoke bombs.
Posted by: northbankmariner, October 12, 2014, 3:58pm; Reply: 8
Just watched the video clip, fantastic amount of noise and support in general, kind of makes me want to start going to away games again to be honest so fair play to the lads. As for the smoke bombs obviously I would be against reckless/dangerous use but have to admit it does create atmosphere and a buzz
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 12, 2014, 4:09pm; Reply: 9
@Grimsby's Finest I take your point. As an older younger Mariner (I'm twenty eight) I feel a responsibility to just say lads - don't act like a complete bunch of mammaries. You can still have fun being normal like. I agree it happens everywhere but we can try and look after our own so to speak. With regard to smoke bombs, I've only heard the police propaganda, if there's is evidence out there to say they aren't dangerous etc, I'd love to hear it because if that's what the kids want to do and it is safe. Let them. I'd rather see the proof there first when young kids are inhaling it like yesterday - albeit it briefly.

RE stewards - maybe Towns problem is at this level it's difficult to predict away followings and it's better for the club to be safe than sorry.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 12, 2014, 4:29pm; Reply: 10

RE stewards - maybe Towns problem is at this level it's difficult to predict away followings and it's better for the club to be safe than sorry.

It seems silly the amount of stewards they have on for most games. For example against Altringham, Welling, Southport there would have been enough for 3/4 stewards for 1 away fan. It is totally unnecessary. On the other hand Woking, Torquay, Forest Green, Macclesfield, Eastleigh, Braintree, Welling, Dover, Dartford, Southport and Altringham are all renowned for there high risk groups which have the potential to cause trouble. When was the last time it actually kicked off inside Blundell Park? I probably sound like a boring, moaning brat but I just think its pointless having so many there when there is a minimal amount of trouble . We have a high amount of unintelligent people in this town but I don't think anyone is stupid enough to run at a gate and get a banning order and a fine against Dartford. I wonder if they realise that the hooligans/ trouble causers only attend Blundell in which there are big away followings and they are not bothered about causing trouble at 75 % of teams in this league.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 12, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 11
I'm not saying it's right - I agree - just offering a possible reason.
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, October 12, 2014, 4:40pm; Reply: 12
360 Town fans at Wrexham.

Great number considering the distance and 'rumblings of discontent' some people seem to claim we have amongst our support.

Would have been a lot quieter without the youngsters, but I too do not like smoke producing canisters and we should encourage the lads to think again about bringing them to games.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 12, 2014, 5:33pm; Reply: 13
I really don't agree with the OP. I don't know what flares and smoke bombs bring to the games this isn't Italy, i personally think these can give a club a bad name.
Posted by: Henryscat, October 12, 2014, 6:19pm; Reply: 14

I'm certainly not one of the youngsters mentioned and I couldn't go this season but I've been to Wrexham many a time and 3 out of the last 4 when I've been on the train I've had some Welsh billy big biscuits try and have a go at me so maybe this isn't a reflection on those from grimsby at wrexham general but more a reflection of the locals.
Posted by: fishyrich, October 13, 2014, 8:56am; Reply: 15
The more youth that go the better. When they first started travelling i thought they were all muppets and the novelty would wear off. To be fair to them, there's more and more each week, the atmosphere is superb - keep it up!!!

As for the smoke bombs, probably best not throwing them but in the stand on Saturday was awesome. If you don't like it, don't sit near them

UTM
Posted by: barralad, October 13, 2014, 10:02am; Reply: 16
Quoted from fishyrich
The more youth that go the better. When they first started travelling i thought they were all muppets and the novelty would wear off. To be fair to them, there's more and more each week, the atmosphere is superb - keep it up!!!

As for the smoke bombs, probably best not throwing them but in the stand on Saturday was awesome. If you don't like it, don't sit near them

UTM

Your final paragraph sums up entirely what the problem is here.
What exactly was "awesome" about being half choked by acrid smoke? Town were given the upper portion of approximately half of the stand. When the smoke bombs were let off the smoke became trapped by the roof of the stand and instead of going upwards went outwards, affecting anybody who had elected to follow your advice and not sit near them. There were people coming out past me in clear distress with their breathing, eyes streaming and coughing. The day that such inconsiderate behaviour becomes acceptable is the day I give up watching Town away. I have been to many away games with brilliant atmospheres and not a smoke bomb or flare in sight...Get a grip.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 13, 2014, 10:42am; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

What exactly was "awesome" about being half choked by acrid smoke? Town were given the upper portion of approximately half of the stand. When the smoke bombs were let off the smoke became trapped by the roof of the stand and instead of going upwards went outwards, affecting anybody who had elected to follow your advice and not sit near them. There were people coming out past me in clear distress with their breathing, eyes streaming and coughing. The day that such inconsiderate behaviour becomes acceptable is the day I give up watching Town away. I have been to many away games with brilliant atmospheres and not a smoke bomb or flare in sight...Get a grip.

Absolutely. Matches are for everyone not just a minority. Have fun but think of others.

Posted by: Garth, October 13, 2014, 11:00am; Reply: 18
Quoted from barralad

Agree totally, now toilet rolls are cheaper, cleaner and totally harmless, falling on deaf ears I`m afraid
Posted by: gary_elton, October 13, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 19
My girlfriends little lad , who is 7 has suffered breathing problems and had an inhaler for about 3 years...

I shudder to think what he would suffer should one of these be let off near to him.  He loves his football ,
and I wouldn't want anything to put this smashing little fella  " Junior Mariners Trust member " off going...

He sings the songs , and enjoys wearing either of his 2 Town shirts.  Please lads , think on before you use
flares / smoke bombs... just saying... might look good , but could seriously affect others in a bad way.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 13, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 20
Anyone caught with or using a smoke bomb/flare etc in a football ground should be banned for life from all sporting venues as well as any other sentence the court deems fit to give. Simple they are illegal, dangerous and a health hazard.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 13, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from fishyrich

UTM

Last sentence there is the problem. We weren't sat near them they were at the back we were right at the front, they came to the front when the penalty was awarded and promptly set one off under Son Ofs feet, lucky he did not see which @rse set it off as he would have been straight over the wall with a 12 foot drop onto the concrete below as far as we were concerned  >:(
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, October 13, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 22
The lads create a great atmosphere (Alferton away last season was really good) but do agree they need to be more careful where/when smoke bombs are set off. Alferton open terrace with small tin shed at back no issue but covered stands like Wrexham not good. Certainly dont want to discourage them from going to games without them the atmosphere would be flat just a bit more awareness for others around them.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 13, 2014, 10:02pm; Reply: 23
My source tells me the club are trying to identify anyone who lets off a smoke bomb especially at away games and if caught I would expect a lengthy ban.
Posted by: mrsd, October 13, 2014, 10:51pm; Reply: 24
Having had one land at my feet whilst standing with an 8yr old I can say that anyone throwing them is an irresponsible idiot! I just don't see the connection between smoke bombs and supporting a football team. Sing, chant and bang the damn drum  but please no smoke bombs.
Posted by: barralad, October 13, 2014, 10:56pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
The lads create a great atmosphere (Alferton away last season was really good) but do agree they need to be more careful where/when smoke bombs are set off. Alferton open terrace with small tin shed at back no issue but covered stands like Wrexham not good. Certainly dont want to discourage them from going to games without them the atmosphere would be flat just a bit more awareness for others around them.

We aren't talking the firework code here. There is no justification for letting them off at all. End of. :-/
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 14, 2014, 12:42am; Reply: 26
I presume any form of pyrotechnics are banned from football grounds, health and safety risk.

It's upto Wrexham and their Police if they wish to use CCTV to catch anyone, sames goes for any other teams and fans.

Article here that mentions Liverpool would ban fans who do it home or away >> [url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2315162/Liverpool-warn-fans-expect-bans-set-smoke-bombs.html]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2315162/Liverpool-warn-fans-expect-bans-set-smoke-bombs.html[/url]
Posted by: chicaneuk, October 14, 2014, 9:11am; Reply: 27
Have to agree with the majority of folks. I tend to go to more away games than home games because I live nowhere near Grimsby, and these lads seem to be at most games I end up going to. I like the fact they're passionate and make a bit of noise and it's great to see that kind of support but really wish they'd sack off the smoke bombs. They're just a crap idea all round. They give us a bad reputation, they urine everyone off, and they risk injuring themselves.
Posted by: ponnyfan, October 18, 2014, 7:04am; Reply: 28
Anyone remotely condoning this type of behaviour would do well to remember what happened at Valley Parade.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 18, 2014, 7:40am; Reply: 29
Full marks to them when you consider we have been crap for their entire lifetime. The noise can only inspire the players. Even the youtube vidoes come close to actually raising the hairs on the back of your neck  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 18, 2014, 8:56am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Garth

Agree totally, now toilet rolls are cheaper, cleaner and totally harmless, falling on deaf ears I`m afraid

Should be careful where you throw them as the deaf can't hear them coming.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 18, 2014, 9:39am; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob
Full marks to them when you consider we have been crap for their entire lifetime. The noise can only inspire the players. Even the youtube vidoes come close to actually raising the hairs on the back of your neck  :)

The last time the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end was when the manager signed that striker in the summer. ;)

My bet - some idiot will still set off a flare/bomb at Torquay just to show how clever they are.

Posted by: poomehellt, October 18, 2014, 10:49am; Reply: 32
I see the smoke bombs have made the front page of the Telegraph today.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/TIME-QUIT-SMOKE-BOMBS/story-23252165-detail/story.html
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 18, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 33
If the FA dock the club points for this ( if it continues )

That could cost us promotion,

It's hard enough to get out of this league as it is,

Please lads do not make it any harder.

Scream and shout but no smoke bombs  thanks.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 18, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 34
they won't dock any points, if they did that, people would go to every barnet game and let one off
Posted by: rancido, October 18, 2014, 2:20pm; Reply: 35

I'm sorry but that is a totally crass statement. To the " Teenage Cas(ual) Club " do not bring smoke bombs or any other pyrotechnic devices to football matches - end of ! They are dangerous, illegal, totally irresponsible and a complete annoyance to the rest of the fans. According to a fact sheet from the FA , any fan caught being in possession of a pyrotechnic device at a match " faces a real risk of going to prison". The FA also add that although a smoke bomb may be seen as less dangerous than a flare or firework , the courts do not differentiate between them. It should be noted that fans have been sentenced to 3 months in prison just for carrying smoke bombs!
Posted by: KK_DOG, October 18, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 36
Pyrotechnics and football – what we know

Pyrotechnics are illegal at football grounds
Being in possession of a pyrotechnic device at a football match, or attempting to bring a pyrotechnic device into a football stadium, is a criminal offence under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985. Any person committing such an offence faces arrest and can expect the Court to make a Football Banning Order.

The 2012/13 season saw a record number arrested for pyrotechnics
There were 71 arrests for ‘Possession of a Firework / Flare at a Sporting Event’. This was an increase of 154% on arrests recorded for the 2011/12 season (28). These arrests have occurred at more matches in the Premier League (26) and Championship (21) than in League 1 and League 2 which saw less than five arrests each.

People are getting jailed and banned
•     In November 2013 a Manchester United fan that set off a smoke bomb during their clash with West Bromwich Albion - Sir Alex Ferguson's last game in charge – was given a two month jail term (suspended for 12 months) and banned from any football grounds for three years.
•     In February 2013 two Chelsea fans were jailed for 28 days and given six year football banning orders for taking smoke bombs into the Liberty Stadium for a match versus Swansea City. Their appeal for the sentence was thrown out.
•     In January 2013 an 18 year old Exeter City fan was jailed for two months and given a six year banning order for attempting to take a smoke bomb into Torquay United v Exeter City.
•     In August 2012 an Oxford United fan was jailed for two months and given a six year banning order for taking a smoke bomb into Home Park for a match versus Plymouth Argyle.

Incidents nearly always involved the away supporters
Of the 172 reported pyrotechnic incidents in the 2012/13 season, 164 were committed by away supporters.

They are used by younger fans
The average age of supporters arrested for pyrotechnic use is 20. Little disorder was reported as a direct result of their use.

What do football clubs do to counter the threat of pyrotechnics?

They gather intelligence
Prior to matches research is undertaken to find relevant intelligence about the visiting Club and the behaviour of their supporters with the Police, with the visiting club’s safety officer and by studying the reports collated on the Football Safety Officers Association website. When it is indicated that a threat exists in relation to smoke bombs, flares or fireworks mitigation is deployed.

How do they mitigate at grounds?
•     Pyrotechnic detection dogs are used as a visible deterrent and detect pyrotechnic devices both at points of entry and on the concourses. Their use is advertised to fans. Amnesty bins for those carrying pyros are often used by clubs.
•     Stewards and Security Officers are briefed on the intelligence relating to the visiting fans and how to react in the event of the illegal ignition of pyrotechnics.
•     Thorough searching of people entering the stadium is undertaken by security officers under the supervision of police.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 18, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from rancido

I'm sorry but that is a totally crass statement. To the " Teenage Cas(ual) Club " do not bring smoke bombs or any other pyrotechnic devices to football matches - end of ! They are dangerous, illegal, totally irresponsible and a complete annoyance to the rest of the fans. According to a fact sheet from the FA , any fan caught being in possession of a pyrotechnic device at a match " faces a real risk of going to prison". The FA also add that although a smoke bomb may be seen as less dangerous than a flare or firework , the courts do not differentiate between them. It should be noted that fans have been sentenced to 3 months in prison just for carrying smoke bombs!

I put it that way because we've seen the propaganda yet people still do it.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 11:40am