Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, October 11, 2014, 5:42pm
I have been very critical of hurst but today his tactics have worked a treat despite the pre match negativity.

Well done.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 11, 2014, 6:43pm; Reply: 1
Utm
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 11, 2014, 6:55pm; Reply: 2
Yes, there's no doubt that he is an excellent manager for certain situations. Really pleased for him tonight.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 11, 2014, 7:02pm; Reply: 3
Excellent away support today too, atmosphere brilliant minus the flares, choke!
Posted by: Rick12, October 11, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from psgmariner
I have been very critical of hurst but today his tactics have worked a treat despite the pre match negativity.

Well done.
Pleased for him as well.Just hope we can get the 3 points now most weeks

Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 8:18pm; Reply: 5
Yeah credit due I wasn't there but listened to Tondeur, good result considering we offered nothing going forward, a good solid defence again, maybe we could keep hurst on as a defensive coach when he gets the boot in the not to distant future.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 11, 2014, 9:19pm; Reply: 6
I'll be honest, I go regular home and away and very rarely listen to tondeur for that reason, but when I have done in the past it seems all doom and gloom, even when we are playing well.
Posted by: Richard Cranium, October 11, 2014, 9:55pm; Reply: 7
No calls for Hurst to go now then. I take it the Torquay fans will want rid of Hargreaves after defeats to Telford and Alfreton
Posted by: MrsMariner, October 11, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Richard Cranium
No calls for Hurst to go now then. I take it the Torquay fans will want rid of Hargreaves after defeats to Telford and Alfreton
and Grimsby Town ;)

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 11, 2014, 10:15pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 2578
Yeah credit due I wasn't there but listened to Tondeur, good result considering we offered nothing going forward, a good solid defence again, maybe we could keep hurst on as a defensive coach when he gets the boot in the not to distant future.

ABUSE REMOVED

Hurst got it spot on, the shop held the ball up very well and mckreth and neilson see alot of the ball, which means we was a threat.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 11, 2014, 10:31pm; Reply: 10
Not surprised by the result or by Hurst's tactical acumen in stopping Wrexham from playing. I said on the forecast thread that we could sneak it in a low scoring game.

That is the manager's strength - negative tactics and sometimes you need to do that. The concern is that he does not have the same cleverness with positive tactics. Hence we struggle in games where we should slaughter the opposition. It would worry me if we had gone behind today and been forced to chase the game, I'm not sure Hurst would have known what to do. It is always a lot easier to plan defensive tactics and be hard to break down. How many times have Town struggled to do that at home?

One other factor today, we had 63% possession according to the BBC but only 2 shots on target. That and the commentary made it seem to me as though we didn't create a lot with all that possession. Perhaps Big Chris could enlighten us on that.

Nevertheless a good win and 3 valuable points. Pleased for the players and the non-flare throwing travellers.
Posted by: barralad, October 11, 2014, 10:45pm; Reply: 11
Perceptions are funny things. Against Kiddy we scored later and there was a note of desperation about some of our defending. Today I felt that the defence were well in control and didn't think they put us under any real pressure other than a 10 minute spell early in the 2nd. half when they had a run of corners.This despite us scoring much much earlier....
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 11:06pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Hurst got it spot on, the shop held the ball up very well and mckreth and neilson see alot of the ball, which means we was a threat.

I value Tondeur's football knowledge he is the voice of Grimsby town he's been commentating on town for a long time now so he's obviously doing something right, so on that basis I will take his account any day of the week over yours.
From what I could determine listening to full commentary today Lewis was excrement once again he kept loseing the ball and was no threat what so ever, it was mentioned by both Kev jobbing and Tondeur's he was labouring and should of been brought off mid second half.
Mckreth was no threat a week link who had no influence on the game and as for Neilson he was that much of a threat he got hauled off with nearly half hour to go.
The thing is without the penalty we wouldn't of scored even if we played until midnight because the fact is we are not a threat of any kind.
As for your insult I find it quite pathetic that you can't come on to this forum like an adult and read a difference of opinion without being abusive, maybe you should keep of it if you can't control yourself where members views differ to your own.
Well done for traveling though good support there today by all accounts, try and sing a bit louder next time though as I couldn't hear the town fans.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 11, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 2578

I value Tondeur's football knowledge he is the voice of Grimsby town he's been commentating on town for a long time now so he's obviously doing something right, so on that basis I will take his account any day of the week over yours.
From what I could determine listening to full commentary today Lewis was excrement once again he kept loseing the ball and was no threat what so ever, it was mentioned by both Kev jobbing and Tondeur's he was labouring and should of been brought off mid second half.
Mckreth was no threat a week link who had no influence on the game and as for Neilson he was that much of a threat he got hauled off with nearly half hour to go.
The thing is without the penalty we wouldn't of scored even if we played until midnight because the fact is we are not a threat of any kind.
As for your insult I find it quite pathetic that you can't come on to this forum like an adult and read a difference of opinion without being abusive, maybe you should keep of it if you can't control yourself where members views differ to your own.
Well done for traveling though good support there today by all accounts, try and sing a bit louder next time though as I couldn't hear the town fans.

I appreciate that, and I love what tondeur does.

But to comment negativity when you wasn't at the game is ridiculous
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, October 11, 2014, 11:16pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
I'll be honest, I go regular home and away and very rarely listen to tondeur for that reason, but when I have done in the past it seems all doom and gloom, even when we are playing well.

I have to listen to tondeur sadly, he really pushes my buttons at times. It's better when he is not commentating in fact. I tend to get tondeurs view and then read the mp report, telewag report and the match thread and get a balanced view. Although I usually end up with the 'fishy balanced view' but I am not sure how balanced we are at times!! Good win today UTM!! 8)
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 11:27pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I'd challenge any commentator to sound positive watching town, we've been in decline for the last 6 years and there's no sign of it getting better anytime soon.
Posted by: Meza, October 12, 2014, 9:55am; Reply: 16
Tondeur has been doing it for a while but I certainly wouldn't take his view over fans at the game.  He is always negative in his commentating.   For example

'Mackreth with the cross its a poor cross'

Maybe try something different

'Mackreth with the cross......but its cleared'

Fans listening to this would be saying Mackreth is crap and it doesn't give you the whole picture in fact it fuels fans negativity if you ask me.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 12, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 17
I must be in the minority because i like Tondeurs commentary.
Posted by: Caesar, October 12, 2014, 10:06am; Reply: 18
I actually like JT but will always put value on seeing the performance over reviews, that is why I waited until I saw us at Dartford i felt Hurst's time was up.

I still do, I think he has shown that he hasn't got the ability to change games when his first plan is not working.  That said credit where it is due, felt we could get a result at Wrexham and we have got a great one, I really hope this starts us on a roll where we win many games and perform consistently.  And as a result I really hope Hurst will force me to eat humble pie and prove me wrong.  

I will therefore always give credit where its due and it sounds like we got our tactics spot on, defended well and got a great result.  Well done Paul Hurst and the team,, however can we have this more please.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 12, 2014, 10:22am; Reply: 19
I have been very critical of Hurst lately so it's a big well done to him today,

He will get my 100% backing when we can beat the lower teams,

We seem to play better when we play a bigger club.

Strange.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:32am