Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 11, 2014, 5:30pm
...well on the train home (which is full of Welsh people moaning about the ref). It was an excellent defensive performance but we're still very poor going forward. There was little creativity in midfield today (none what-so-ever after Neilson went off) and their keeper barely had a save to make all match. Referee was good today, Wrexham's complaints are sour grapes - he got every decision spot on.

The back 4 were all excellent - with Magnay and Toto both rock solid. Disley contributed little after coming on for the injured Clay and Mackreth was very poor. His crossing was terrible all day and he gave the ball away countless times. I honestly think given his current form, Joe Colbeck offered the team more. Lenny took his penalty very well but was isolated up front and provided little threat from open play. In the first half he made a nuisance of himself and chased down their defenders. Unfortunately in the second half he stopped harassing the Wrexham players which let them back into the game a bit until their red card. Connor Jennings looked rubbish, very glad we didn't sign him. Town fans were excellent all match.

I don't mean to sound too negative because it was a very good result against tough opposition. Our work rate made them look very poor in the first half, but in the second their manager made changes and put us on the back foot a bit. We didn't really react and got a bit lucky when their player stamped on Disley and got himself sent off as that released the pressure on us. Hurst really needs to get us scoring more in order to capitalise on our solid defence.

Here's a video of the goal and subsequent celebrations -
https://vine.co/v/OApXp3bTa2T
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 11, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 1
Thanks for this in depth report Chris, i missed the commentary today due to work so this just back report is much appreciated.
Posted by: Tommy, October 11, 2014, 5:34pm; Reply: 2
What was Parslow like as the holding midfielder?
Posted by: highcliff mariner, October 11, 2014, 5:38pm; Reply: 3
Also missed it today (got wed) Good  Report .

UTM
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 11, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 4
Good result town.

well done , lets see if it can be carried forward and not let the hard work be for nothing next week.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 11, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Tommy
What was Parslow like as the holding midfielder?

He did ok. Was quite good at hassling their players while they were on the ball, but he made a fair few wayward passes.  His inclusion worked well because we scored early and Wrexham set up in an attacking formation, but we definitely lacked creativity going forward with him playing there - he needed to move the ball on faster after winning it IMO.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 11, 2014, 5:56pm; Reply: 6
Appreciate you giving us a quick run down on the game :)

Maybe not a stylish performance from the sounds of it but a good afternoon for us all the same. Safe trip back and have a good night. Think we'll all enjoy our Saturday more after this result!

UTM
Posted by: SlouchyMetal, October 11, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 7
welsh police tweeted earlier one of our guys got kicked out for lobbing a flare.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 11, 2014, 6:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
welsh police tweeted earlier one of our guys got kicked out for lobbing a flare.

See the video in my original post for footage of said flare / smoke bomb.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 11, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 9
Good report, thanks. Ties in with the commentary. Three much needed points and a good defensive performance.

Looking at the BBC stats again we had 63% possession but only 7 shots with 2 on target, exactly the same number as Wrexham.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 11, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 10
LJL's penalty, like his previous 2, was absolutely perfect. I wish he could show that level of composure more often in open play.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 6:18pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
LJL's penalty, like his previous 2, was absolutely perfect. I wish he could show that level of composure more often in open play.

It can only help. There can't be many town fans who don't want him to be a 20 goal striker.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 11, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 12
Thought our fans were idiots today, throwing smoke bombs from the back and one been let off right under Son Ofs feet, I hope Police spotted them and they get banned for life.
The game, we were superb till dizza came on who was totally anonymous, we need another centre midfielder quick. LJL superb, he was never going to keep his workrate up all game, was totally isolated in the 2nd half. ref seemed to get most decisions right, no one had a bad game but we really missed Clay when he came off
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, October 11, 2014, 6:26pm; Reply: 13
Got to say I agree with Chris on this, while the result was great there were so many flaws, JLJ needed to come off towards the end he was knackered and isolated so much in the second half. Wrexham controlled the second half a lot till their red.

Got to say I am sad to be a Grimsby fan after the way some of our fans behaved today, who ever was the sharp object or sharp objects throwing the flares you are absolute cocks. The first nearly hit a young Wrexham girl having a photo, the second nearly hit the fire marshal, the fourth when we scored the goal was dropped right next to me, if I had know which nob jockey had dropped it I would of thrown him straight over the bannister I will be lucky if I am not coughing up a lung today and puffing on my inhaler all night.

Who ever is taking them into games I have no sympathy for if and should get a life ban.

Back to positives about the game WE WON!!!

Could anyone see the "stamp" that got Louis sent off? He was always a twit like that in high school as well if it wasn't going his way.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 11, 2014, 7:54pm; Reply: 14
Have to say I disagree with the Disley bashers, Clay was a real miss but Disley really put a shift in, he won loads of headers and got his foot in all over the place. I thought we were excellent today against a strong Wrexham team, that moult looked decent before he got sent off. I thought brown and Magnay were excellent.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 11, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 15
Good result and a very good defence performance to hold on to our lead. But if we are going to put together a winning run then the final ball needs to be better than it was today. I'm amazed people managed to get smoke bombs into the ground considering the intimate fondling I got from a steward on the way in. Random checks? Anyway, well done town - good teams are built from the back and we seem to have that aspect of our game sorted now sharpen up your play in the final third, then who knows what may happen.
Posted by: petethemariner, October 11, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 16
Magnay ALWAYS seems to be outstanding, hell of a signing and credit to PH for that -
just strange he never seems to have the same midas touch for attackers!
Posted by: Garth, October 11, 2014, 8:40pm; Reply: 17

Maybe its because he has time to think about it
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, October 11, 2014, 8:57pm; Reply: 18
What was LJL's celebration?
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 11, 2014, 9:14pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
What was LJL's celebration?

He ran over towards the Town fans and did a double fist pump.
Posted by: Tommy, October 11, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 20

I started thinking about this earlier. I know he had the one against Cambridge saved last year but he's been confident and composed slotting them in otherwise.

Composure when a chance presents itself is something that I think you can't really coach into an adult pro player. You either have it by then or you don't.

When coaching finishing, you'd go through what they call the ABC's - adjustments, basic and clever finishes. Taking a penalty is as basic as they come (straight forward run up to a dead ball and shooting unopposed), but what I think LJL struggles with is when he has to make an adjustment to get his shot away. A cross comes in and he has to react, or its slightly behind him or stuck under his feet etc. If the ball isn't set perfectly for him to shoot he doesn't get a good strike on it as he struggles to make slight adjustments.

Posted by: BIGChris, October 11, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Chrisblor
...well on the train home (which is full of Welsh people moaning about the ref). It was an excellent defensive performance but we're still very poor going forward. There was little creativity in midfield today (none what-so-ever after Neilson went off) and their keeper barely had a save to make all match. Referee was good today, Wrexham's complaints are sour grapes - he got every decision spot on.

The back 4 were all excellent - with Magnay and Toto both rock solid. Disley contributed little after coming on for the injured Clay and Mackreth was very poor. His crossing was terrible all day and he gave the ball away countless times. I honestly think given his current form, Joe Colbeck offered the team more. Lenny took his penalty very well but was isolated up front and provided little threat from open play. In the first half he made a nuisance of himself and chased down their defenders. Unfortunately in the second half he stopped harassing the Wrexham players which let them back into the game a bit until their red card. Connor Jennings looked rubbish, very glad we didn't sign him. Town fans were excellent all match.

I don't mean to sound too negative because it was a very good result against tough opposition. Our work rate made them look very poor in the first half, but in the second their manager made changes and put us on the back foot a bit. We didn't really react and got a bit lucky when their player stamped on Disley and got himself sent off as that released the pressure on us. Hurst really needs to get us scoring more in order to capitalise on our solid defence.

Here's a video of the goal and subsequent celebrations -
https://vine.co/v/OApXp3bTa2T

I saw things differently.

Back four very solid,

Midfield dominated there's IMO. Nielson was excellent first half, set up Mackreth which he should have done better with and then a great reverse pass to play in the rampaging Aswad who was clever to win the penalty. I heard the interview with their right back after the game and he said he didn't challenge Thomas but he got in front of him and then 'slammed on the breaks" meaning he clattered into him. Definitely penalty put away very well.

We were much the better team in the first half and they couldn't handle us. They were poor in midfield and Dean Keates who has been a fantastic player, was dominated particularly by Disley who I thought did much better than in previous games this season. he was always available kept it simple, won his headers and tackled well. Brown was everywhere.

Parslow did the defensive part of his role very well, he shielded the back four and allowed the full backs  to get forward, he wasn't great on the ball but I didn't expect him to be. That role, if played well really gives he team a platform.

Talking to Wrexham fans after the game they all felt Mackreth was excellent and that Paul Hurst had done a great job on them tactically!!! Their outlet and best player is evidently Ashton at left back but he couldn't get involved today because Mackreth pushed him back constantly. They also felt LJL was 'immense' and they would have loved to have had him on their side.

Toto has taken some stick on here but he was very good today as was Brown but I agree with others in that Magnay is a fantastic signing. superb again!

I wasn't impressed with Wrexham. Moult was a threat but was working off scraps. His red card was a result of frustration but it was a clear sending off ( Howard Webb was there today and he felt the referee was excellent).

A well deserved 3 points, a view shared by many Wrexham supporters,( we stayed behind afterwards for a chat and let the crowd die down)

Big downside is the injury to Clay and the suspensions next Saturday for both Pearson and Brown!
Posted by: Richard Cranium, October 11, 2014, 9:51pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
The lad that got kicked out didn't throw the flare so he was allowed back in

Posted by: MrsMariner, October 11, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 23

"Big downside is the injury to Clay and the suspensions next Saturday for both Pearson and Brown!"

Brown- that one snook up on us, he will be more of a miss than Pearson, we've got plenty of cover in defence
Posted by: barralad, October 11, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 24
A deserved win. Brilliant defensive performance with Parslow having a very good game in front of the back four. Today showed what an important player Aswad is for Town. Having him back gave us a decent option going forward but also allowed the superb Magnay to revert to his normal right back position. Wrexham simply didn't have the personnel to break us down.
First half Town pressed higher up the field. After the goal they sat back a bit which left Lenny a bit exposed. On the subject of "The Shop" his penalty was great. His all action running was great but he had one of those games where seemingly every ball played to him bounced off which was more than a tad frustrating.
I too thought Disley did all that was required of him when he came on. He covered a lot of ground and made some very good challenges.
I keep going on about him but I really cannot see what MacReth brings to the party. His crossing is wayward and he has none of the eye for goal that Colbeck showed during his time here.
Talking to two Wrexham fans on the train back to Chester they thought we were the best team they'd played this season. .  

Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, October 11, 2014, 11:36pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from MrsMariner

"Big downside is the injury to Clay and the suspensions next Saturday for both Pearson and Brown!"

Brown- that one snook up on us, he will be more of a miss than Pearson, we've got plenty of cover in defence

If you look at the FA website only Pearson is on 4 yellows

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 11, 2014, 11:57pm; Reply: 26
Just back myself. I haven't made a post on match threads for a while as I've only seen the Brizzle game on TV so this was my first outing.

Overall, I though it was a solid performance and we were worthy of the points. Magnay was my man of the match, he was tireless in defence and contributed to what we did going forward. I though the way we pressed them right from the off was very impressive and certainly resulted us in have the best of possession in the first half.

The whole back 5 (McKeown included there) were solid bar the aforementioned's moment of madness in the second half. I was impressed with Toto and Aswad gave a great shift on the left getting up and down. He needs to play to the whistle though.

I though chances for both sides very almost non-existent but when we did get the ball down and pass it we got some nice moves going which on another day might have seen more clear cut chances come our way so I am not concerned by that.

I met a bloke who had flown in from Denmark to watch us on the way out which I thought was pretty impressive. Well done to Wrecsam, as a town, and the wider area for turning up to support their club for a day like today. Just a shame they didn't print enough programmes.

Finally, a message to the 'Teenage Cas(ual) Club': If you must insist on bringing flares/smoke bombs to 'enhance' the atmosphere be sensible with them. Let them off around you mates and not in the faces of little kids as you did when you all piled down the front of the stand and don't aim them at people. The second one landed very close to to Wrexham stewards. You should remember most people stewarding at this level are doing it because they are football fans too - not for the money. I hope it doesn't result any fines for the club.
Posted by: Maringer, October 12, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 27
Just got back from a weekend away (not in Wales, alas) and catching up with the weekend's events. Good to see the result come in and these ground-out 1-0 victories are sort of what I was expecting this season. Pleasing to see the defence coming together well.

Unfortunately, as has been noted, we've just not been able to achieve the same thing against most of the 'weaker' teams at home which you would think would be bankers.

No Plan B at the moment and I think it will take either the return of Pittman/Arnold to the team or the signing of a new attacker or two before we have one (or, less likely, a good goalscoring run from LJL/Hannah/Neilson).

Don't think I'll be able to make the game on Tuesday but I hope the team (whoever plays), keeps the good defensive run going.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 13, 2014, 3:35pm; Reply: 28
I thought we played very well first half, closing them down quickly, similar to the game at Gateshead and our midfield got forward to support LJL who although not his biggest fan I thought he played really well in the first half.

Brown had a better game for me and Nielson was very good, even the Wrexham fans around me applauded some of his mazy runs.

The second half not sure if it was us sitting back or Wrexham pushing forward but we hardly made any impression with LJL looking very isolated.

To be honest without the penalty neither side really looked much like scoring and I could not understand why Hurst took off Nielson who along with Thomas looked like the only ones who would create or open up their defence.

Looking at the Wrexham forum most thought they were very poor and I would have to agree in fact both sides will have to improve if they want to get out of this league.

Very disappointed with Mackreth again, saw lots of the ball but no end product.

Also disappointed with Pearson who several times during the game had a rant at Thomas, might have been deserved but he could have done it much better without pointing fingers all over the place.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 7:24pm