Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, October 11, 2014, 5:06pm
Gaining 12 points and only conceded 3 goals. Over 46 games that'd give you 79 points, 1 more than last year. Just saying... :P
Posted by: grimps, October 11, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 1
Two goals in the last four none of which came from open play ...just saying  :P
Posted by: forza ivano, October 11, 2014, 5:11pm; Reply: 2
Only 7 goals in 7 games tells a story.maybe good point to review after next week when it'll be 8 games, 4 against top sides and 4 against bottom feeders
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 11, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano
Gaining 12 points and only conceded 3 goals. Over 46 games that'd give you 79 points, 1 more than last year. Just saying... :P

Yep, great stat, wins against Southport, Alty and Dartford would have given us 19 from 21 and put us in the play-offs  :P
Posted by: Tommy, October 11, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 4
Just shows stats can be plucked and strategically selected to show back up any argument you like.

One thing worth a thought though >

We're 9 points off Barnet who are top.
If we were 2nd place and 9 points off 1st, I personally wouldn't be giving up the fight for top spot. Should we give up on it now just because there's plenty of other teams above us too?
I know there's more to it than that and we have other issues, but still. 9 points.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 11, 2014, 5:20pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Tommy
Just shows stats can be plucked and strategically selected to show back up any argument you like.

One thing worth a thought though >

We're 9 points off Barnet who are top.
If we were 2nd place and 9 points off 1st, I personally wouldn't be giving up the fight for top spot. Should we give up on it now just because there's plenty of other teams above us too?
I know there's more to it than that and we have other issues, but still. 9 points.

And we have to play them twice too so a good chance to reduce that deficit even further. 30 games to go so all to play for still. UTM
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, October 11, 2014, 5:28pm; Reply: 6
Everything about the team is spot on apart from goals - you could see that on Tuesday; approach play, defence was excellent
Problem is goals - lack of them makes all the good points meaningless

I still doubt Hurst is the man to get us out of this league but I would 100% love to be proved wrong - at the end of the day all his detractors (and turned about two weeks ago from a fervent supporter to time for a change) are only stating an opinion as none of us know what the next 30 games will bring

Pittman and Arnold stay injury free; we get another decent striker in...goals start coming...who knows???
Posted by: GyMariner, October 11, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 7
Is that only 4 points from the playoffs now?
Posted by: GyMariner, October 11, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 8
Is that only 4 points from the playoffs now?
Posted by: Brough Mariner, October 11, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 9
6 points off the playoffs in a pub league, just saying Andy.
Posted by: nickmariners, October 11, 2014, 6:07pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Brough Mariner

Yeah, but that IS the league we're in.

Classy signature, btw. Just saying.
Posted by: GyMariner, October 11, 2014, 6:08pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Brough Mariner

Says 4 points on the updated league table
Posted by: forza ivano, October 11, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 12
Talking about the 9 point gap I'd again remind you of Oxford being miles clear at Xmas one year and then completely blowing it. We're more or less on the same points tally as last year.
Posted by: petethemariner, October 11, 2014, 6:24pm; Reply: 13
Without taking anything away from a great win,i'm afraid this sums up Paul Hurst in a
nutshell - set a team to nullify an opponent, sneak a goal and then defend heroically,
he is excellent at, even his  biggest detractors would admit that, the problem arises
when imagination is needed to break down teams who 'park the bus' at BP , its then
that a total lack of attacking ideas  and tactical nous become painfully evident, it is
just so frustrating - if every game this season was an away game at a fancied side we
would probably walk the league!
Posted by: Meza, October 11, 2014, 6:50pm; Reply: 14
We won against a good side AWAY from home and some still have something negative to say.  Surely the first thing is 3 pts and the performance is a bonus.

Well done town lets kick on and get another 3 pts.  If you keep working hard the rewards will come.  Keep on fighting.
Posted by: TAGG, October 11, 2014, 7:12pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Meza
We won against a good side AWAY from home and some still have something negative to say.  Surely the first thing is 3 pts and the performance is a bonus.

Well done town lets kick on and get another 3 pts.  If you keep working hard the rewards will come.  Keep on fighting.

I think if you read the posts everyone is happy with  great 3 points away from home today. Just been a few statistics banded about in fun, lighten up a bit.
Town fans sounded great yet again and a quick word for all the effin & geffin Wrexham fans on the commentery today  ;D   ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, October 11, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from petethemariner
- if every game this season was an away game at a fancied side we
would probably walk the league!

well technically.... every game is an away game from Grimsby Town... ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, October 11, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 17
Decent striker and we'd be the finished article
Posted by: denni266, October 11, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 18
one win is not gonna change my mind,  It was tho a good away win and well done to all the lads, they deserve the credit due, Now, can we have a manager for home games pls, and just leave hurst to the away  games
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2014, 11:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from nickmariners

Yeah, but that IS the league we're in.

Classy signature, btw. Just saying.

I bloody hope not. Though that might account for the missing fans on Tuesday.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2014, 12:02am; Reply: 20
Might just as accurately have said:

2 defeats in 8, or
3 defeats in 9
Posted by: kingster72, October 12, 2014, 7:50am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Meza

The fans always want us to win, but that's why we are negative at the moment, as we have not done it often enough.  We have a negative boss who should not be there anymore, he's a failure. The win yesterday was needed, but just papers over the cracks if you think Hurst is the man to take us up! This delay in getting rid, just means we will lose too much ground for top spot and fail to go up again!  We'll draw next sat, then lose the next two, undoing all the hard work in this game, the same old pattern of 1 step forward, 2 steps back, which Hurst is the master of.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 12, 2014, 9:05am; Reply: 22
And still people call it's a pub league...if that is so then we are a pub team.

Stats can be used in any way to support or denounce any argument. Fact is we've had a similar start to last year, we know this league is odd. I don't exoect barnet to remain top all season and there will be lots of twists and turns along the way...
Posted by: Meza, October 12, 2014, 9:21am; Reply: 23
Quoted from kingster72

The fans always want us to win, but that's why we are negative at the moment, as we have not done it often enough.  We have a negative boss who should not be there anymore, he's a failure. The win yesterday was needed, but just papers over the cracks if you think Hurst is the man to take us up! This delay in getting rid, just means we will lose too much ground for top spot and fail to go up again!  We'll draw next sat, then lose the next two, undoing all the hard work in this game, the same old pattern of 1 step forward, 2 steps back, which Hurst is the master of.

I've had my frustrated moan but now is the time to support the team they need us more than ever.  If PH gets sacked then he gets sacked but atleast he's had the support from the fans.  I know we pay good money and expect wins against the lesser teams but I'm worried that BP is becoming hostile something the players will not strive on.

for those that went to Southport, Dartford and Altrincham games were we outplayed cos if we were thats the time to be worried.  Also its ok saying we need a new striker which we do as we are short in that department but some of the chances fell to Paddy.  Anyway lets hope we kick on and build up some momentum whether its PH or someone else.  
Posted by: forza ivano, October 13, 2014, 11:34am; Reply: 24
interestingly we're also 3rd in the form table

http://www.footballformguide.net/form/vanarama-conference
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 13, 2014, 11:43am; Reply: 25
Quoted from forza ivano
interestingly we're also 3rd in the form table

http://www.footballformguide.net/form/vanarama-conference

One win in last four home games !!!!!!

If we can stop dropping points at home we will be top of the league.
Posted by: Garth, October 13, 2014, 12:19pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimRob

Get the boy Clayton in
Posted by: Garth, October 13, 2014, 4:32pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GrimRob

Taken from Alfreton board

Topic: Paul Clayton

Posted: Today at 3:31pm

We don,t score for 4 games ,Paul Clayton plays and we put 4 past Torquay. Clayton should of played every game from the start of the season,why the manager can keep such a talent on the bench is beyond belief.If Clayton had been in from the start of the seaon we would have a lot more points than we do now,no more madness Nicky we have to play our best team every game.paul clayton should never again be sat on a bench,his performance against torquay was astounding,they Torquay knew who the danger-man was, evvery tinme Clayton had the ball they tried to foul,but as usual the brilliant Paul Clayton is to quick and lethal,the skill the deire of a truly alfreton legend.

Come on Hursty, you know it makes sense
Posted by: forza ivano, October 13, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Garth

Taken from Alfreton board

Topic: Paul Clayton

Posted: Today at 3:31pm

We don,t score for 4 games ,Paul Clayton plays and we put 4 past Torquay. Clayton should of played every game from the start of the season,why the manager can keep such a talent on the bench is beyond belief.If Clayton had been in from the start of the seaon we would have a lot more points than we do now,no more madness Nicky we have to play our best team every game.paul clayton should never again be sat on a bench,his performance against torquay was astounding,they Torquay knew who the danger-man was, evvery tinme Clayton had the ball they tried to foul,but as usual the brilliant Paul Clayton is to quick and lethal,the skill the deire of a truly alfreton legend.

Come on Hursty, you know it makes sense

The alfreton poster's name wasn't PCLAYTON or PAULC by any chance was it? ;)
Posted by: tashee69, October 13, 2014, 5:50pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Tommy

This is one thing I've said. All these things can be said about a certain Town forward
31 goals in 8 seasons...........about 4 goals a season
31 goals in 245 games..........about 1 goal every 8 games
31 goals in 128 starts............about 1 goal every 4 games
5 goals in 13 games..............about 1 goal every 2.5 games

He goes from 4 goals a season to a 1 in 2.5 game striker depending on what you want to prove.
Posted by: Garth, October 13, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano

The alfreton poster's name wasn't PCLAYTON or PAULC by any chance was it? ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 10:02am