Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 8, 2014, 10:40am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29535481

Ideal replacement for Hurst??
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, October 8, 2014, 10:58am; Reply: 1
Wilcox - a dour Yorkshireman, previously part of a long-established management duo with a louder-mouthed colleague. The angry one got sacked and he replaced him. Yes, that sounds like a whole new direction to go!
Posted by: Youngy, October 8, 2014, 11:08am; Reply: 2
Wilcox - a dour Yorkshireman, previously part of a long-established management duo with a louder-mouthed colleague. The angry one got sacked and he replaced him. Yes, that sounds like a whole new direction to go!

Difference is he turned a struggling mid table team into a team who got promoted after a world record unbeaten run.

I would take him in a flash
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 8, 2014, 11:10am; Reply: 3
Seems utterly ridiculous to me. If he'd done a worse job last season and had got them into the play offs where they'd narrowly missed out then he'd probably still be in a job.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 11:13am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Seems utterly ridiculous to me. If he'd done a worse job last season and had got them into the play offs where they'd narrowly missed out then he'd probably still be in a job.

Yes. Barmy isn't it?

I suppose it's all about expectations.

Wonder if they'll go back to Laws?

Posted by: Brazilnut, October 8, 2014, 11:29am; Reply: 5
by all accounts the playing style has been dreadful
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 8, 2014, 11:42am; Reply: 6
Can't see him wanting to come here...
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 8, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Brazilnut
by all accounts the playing style has been dreadful

Would fit straight in then.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 8, 2014, 12:21pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You didn't go last night did you.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 8, 2014, 12:23pm; Reply: 9
Seems harsh, they've had about 600 injuries this season too.

I'm guessing he won't be 'going again' on Saturday now.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 8, 2014, 12:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Abdul19
Seems harsh, they've had about 600 injuries this season too.

I'm guessing he won't be 'going again' on Saturday now.

Did he use the phrase 'We go again' in an interview? If he did I retract my earlier statement and am glad they've sacked him.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 12:33pm; Reply: 11
How come supporters always think sackings are ridiculous at other clubs, but at the same time demand their own manager be sacked?
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 8, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jonnyboy82

From a fan not at the game last night clearly...
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 8, 2014, 12:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GrimRob
How come supporters always think sackings are ridiculous at other clubs, but at the same time demand their own manager be sacked?

I think I'm the only one to say it's ridiculous and I don't want PH sacked.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 8, 2014, 12:41pm; Reply: 14
John Schofield (assistant at Scunny - also sacked)??

According to Wiki was sacked at Lincoln for neglecting the defence in favour of an attacking style. Local...
Posted by: RoboCod, October 8, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 15
I can see Lincoln getting Schofield back. Another barmy sacking, given how they were doing at the time, and streets ahead of Simpson.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 8, 2014, 12:58pm; Reply: 16
And locally a very popular guy, when in charge the locals will tell you only decent football they have witnessed in years.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

No they don't. Every club is different, every season is different, every manager is different, every board is different ............ the situation at Scunthorpe is simply not the same as here. They have been up there with the stars and are trying to avoid joining us in the dregs of the football world. Staying up is first and foremost and they want to go up again after that to match their new, new stadium. They probably feel that the manager has taken them as far as he can.

We are in the sh!te. If we stand still we sink. Our only hope of survival is to make a huge effort and get back in the league. Slow and steady won't do it.

Posted by: Garth, October 8, 2014, 1:21pm; Reply: 18

No they don't. Every club is different, every season is different, every manager is different, every board is different ............ the situation at Scunthorpe is simply not the same as here. They have been up there with the stars and are trying to avoid joining us in the dregs of the football world. Staying up is first and foremost and they want to go up again after that to match their new, new stadium. They probably feel that the manager has taken them as far as he can.

We are in the sh!te. If we stand still we sink. Our only hope of survival is to make a huge effort and get back in the league. Slow and steady won't do it.

Exactly, Peed off with steady Eddys wearing rose tints, lets put some risk and excitement into the job, sh1t or bust
Posted by: psgmariner, October 8, 2014, 1:36pm; Reply: 19
Let's get Ivano!
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 1:42pm; Reply: 20

I'd say at least 75% of sackings at least were panic on the part of the boards concerned, a few are justified but they are a minority. That's why the same names get circulated again and again for the few hundred jobs that are available in this country, and fans/boards are often happy to employ someone who has been sacked half a dozen times. Some managers don't come back after sackings, but I would imagine that's at least some of the time because they have accumulated enough money not to need the hassle of it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 8, 2014, 2:39pm; Reply: 21
We are very lucky that John is not so trigger happy, don't you think ?  ;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 3:06pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GrimRob

I'd say at least 75% of sackings at least were panic on the part of the boards concerned, a few are justified but they are a minority. That's why the same names get circulated again and again for the few hundred jobs that are available in this country, and fans/boards are often happy to employ someone who has been sacked half a dozen times. Some managers don't come back after sackings, but I would imagine that's at least some of the time because they have accumulated enough money not to need the hassle of it.

True enough. Panic does play a part. But if the future of the club is at stake then panic is a natural reaction I suppose. We'll see it at Newcastle soon enough too. The merry-go-round reflects the game doesn't it? Ups and downs are part and parcel, it's unavoidable for most clubs to change manager as their circumstances alter. Very few stick with one for a long time through thick and thin. Dario Grady at Crewe was one exception and he was so successful because he developed young players to sell on and finance the club. Even he didn't last forever though. The only one Grimsby have had to compare would be Tom Casey who brought through the youngsters like Ford and Drinkell but Town didn't stick with him too long.

By and large it depends on what's important at the time. Town have a massive priority and it is to get into the League. Failure to do that quickly could be disastrous as the gate last night showed very clearly. A slippery slope beckons. Therefore it seems sensible to look at a change now rather than later. There is an argument that says Town should risk staying as things are and hope to sneak up there. JF seems currently to favour this option if letting PH sign a striker is anything to go by. That wouldn't be my choice, the problem goes deeper than signing a player or too, but there again, I'm not in charge. Good job too you might well say! ;D
Posted by: timmo, October 8, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 23
I heard on hullberside last night complaints about the lack of clean sheets... Scunthorpe I know just the man...

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: MrsMariner, October 8, 2014, 6:14pm; Reply: 24
Shame they've sacked him, I was going to suggest we try a job share/exchange with are friendly neighbours ;)
We try Wilcox for a month and they can try Hurst, see if they could have revived each others fortunes, a change is as good as a rest so they say :)
would certainly attract plenty of media attention for the clubs aswell which is never a bad thing
Posted by: A.l.f., October 8, 2014, 7:06pm; Reply: 25
Another Manager who has not been given enough time given the amount of injuries Scunny have had, he deserved better especially after taking them up last year.
Who would be a football Manager these days - they get the blame whatever happens if teams fail to win on a regular basis even when players make silly mistakes or miss great chances.
Us fans judge from watching matches, but don't see what goes on at the training pitch or behind the scenes and we all think we know better eh?
Posted by: immariner, October 8, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 26
Urgh he deserved the chance to try and keep them up. Any clubs' first priority after winning promotion is to retain their status in that division, there's no reason with so much of the season left that he couldn't have done that. This is exactly the sort of thing which makes me f*cking detest football these days. I only continue to follow Town because it's in the blood.
Posted by: rancido, October 8, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 27
[quote=60610]Another Manager who has not been given enough time given the amount of injuries Scunny have had, he deserved better especially after taking them up last year.
Who would be a football Manager these days - they get the blame whatever happens if teams fail to win on a regular basis even when players make silly mistakes or miss great chances.
Us fans judge from watching matches, but don't see what goes on at the training pitch or behind the scenes and we all think we know better eh?[/quote]

All these points sound very familiar !
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 8, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from rancido
[quote=60610]Another Manager who has not been given enough time given the amount of injuries Scunny have had, he deserved better especially after taking them up last year.
Us fans judge from watching matches, but don't see what goes on at the training pitch or behind the scenes and we all think we know better eh?[/quote]

All these points sound very familiar !

They do until you weight in that he got them promoted and their budget isn't even the top 2/3 rd's of that division.
Posted by: nightrider, October 8, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 29
They wanted him gone a long time ago. The way they've been speaking about him on the radio you'd have thought he'd murdered someone not gained promotion a dozen games ago
Posted by: moosey_club, October 8, 2014, 11:07pm; Reply: 30
;D heard a caller say tonight..."even when he was setting the world record for being the longest unbeaten manager last season the writing was on the wall !! " ..hahaha
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:16am