Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jaws, October 7, 2014, 10:23pm
PH off to watch a potential striker tomorrow.

Hopefully it's Cheltenham/Bristol and not Kiddy/Welling - can't see a team in the same league loaning a decent striker at this level, could be likely that a fringe striker at Cheltenham or Bristol is getting a game in the JPT.

Either way doesn't matter who we bring in, playing one up front is never going to produce a lot of goals unless we find an absolute gem.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 7, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 1
Hopefully it's a journey he won't have to make  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, October 7, 2014, 10:26pm; Reply: 2
It's more likely to be a reserve game I would have thought. Anyone know who is playing?
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 7, 2014, 10:31pm; Reply: 3
To late now as mentioned above he won't get a game anyway it's probably the reason we struggle to get anyone here, the name of Paul hurst must be absolute mud to all the football league strikers warming benches up and down the country.
Posted by: mariner2000, October 7, 2014, 10:38pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Jaws

Hopefully it's Cheltenham/Bristol and not Kiddy/Welling - can't see a team in the same league loaning a decent striker at this level, could be likely that a fringe striker at Cheltenham or Bristol is getting a game in the JPT.

Either way doesn't matter who we bring in, playing one up front is never going to produce a lot of goals unless we find an absolute gem.

Save your money Fenty for the new man who will get the team playing otherwise it will be more money wasted on another player that can't score due to useless tactics!
Posted by: denni266, October 7, 2014, 10:42pm; Reply: 5
We dont want a bloody fringe striker, we need a first choice up and running striker
Posted by: nightrider, October 7, 2014, 10:53pm; Reply: 6
Why can't Paul Hurst bring in a striker?? Why can other teams but we can't bring one in. We needed 3-4. We brought in Pitman who he knew would struggle to play in half the games
That left us needing 2 more minimum. 10 games in we get an unfit Oates.
Why can't he get a striker? I'm not saying getting a successful striker is easy but everybody else seems able to do it so why can't we. We needed one a year ago. He's known this for a year but still nothing.
Posted by: ackomariner, October 7, 2014, 10:55pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from nightrider
Why can't Paul Hurst bring in a striker?? Why can other teams but we can't bring one in. We needed 3-4. We brought in Pitman who he knew would struggle to play in half the games
That left us needing 2 more minimum. 10 games in we get an unfit Oates.
Why can't he get a striker? I'm not saying getting a successful striker is easy but everybody else seems able to do it so maybe it is.

Because a good striker costs money.......town want everything on the cheap
Posted by: oldun, October 7, 2014, 10:58pm; Reply: 8
Unfortunately at this stage all the the proven strikers are playing regularly for their clubs. This means we are restricted to second choices not getting games or someone coming back from injury
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 7, 2014, 11:01pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ackomariner

No, money is not the problem according to Fenty.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 7, 2014, 11:01pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Jaws

Hopefully his car breaks down on the way and he doesnt get the chance to waste the remaining budget and its still there for the new manager any time soon.

Posted by: jimgtfc, October 7, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 11
Dan Holman should have been the man...
Posted by: forza ivano, October 7, 2014, 11:13pm; Reply: 12
If we can find out which game it is, and knowing hursts track record with goalscorers , I'd be tempted to put a few quid on it being a 0-0 draw! ;D
Posted by: Garth, October 7, 2014, 11:31pm; Reply: 13
Lincoln seem to find goal scorers three again tonight, still they have more money than us ;)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 7, 2014, 11:33pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from grimsby pete
No, money is not the problem according to Fenty.
Their won't be any money in the pot when 1,000+ people are staying away from now on, gates will drop to 2,000 you see.

People have had enough.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 7, 2014, 11:34pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Their won't be any money in the pot when 1,000+ people are staying away from now on, gates will drop to 2,000 you see.

Agree, Fenty needs to act now.
Posted by: tashee69, October 8, 2014, 12:22am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Jaws

Airbus are playing Port Talbot !! Failing that Lewes ladies are playing Portsmouth ladies
Posted by: Tom13, October 8, 2014, 12:24am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Garth
Lincoln seem to find goal scorers three again tonight, still they have more money than us ;)

One of them was Brodie though  ;D
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 8, 2014, 1:17am; Reply: 18
Sligo Rovers are playing on Friday night. Their last game of the season is on 24th October (it appears). Danny North seems to be playing and therefore match fit. Seems like an opportunity to get him back to Grimsby and playing for us. His scoring record is pretty good.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 8, 2014, 1:21am; Reply: 19
My money's on Danny Kelly playing for Cambridge City against Biggleswade.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2014, 7:43am; Reply: 20
Trying to look at this objectively, Hurst isn't stupid and knows where our problems lay. He also knows it's his neck on the line.

He obviously hasn't been able to find anyone willing to come here that he feels is of the required standard but until he does, we are going to continue to struggle.

He better sort it quick though, or our and his season is all but over.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 8, 2014, 7:59am; Reply: 21
Just spoken to a brizzle city supporter at work. The only person he could think of it possibly being is a lad called Wes burns, who was on loan to Fgr last season
Posted by: DocTower, October 8, 2014, 8:07am; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings
Trying to look at this objectively, Hurst isn't stupid and knows where our problems lay. He also knows it's his neck on the line.

He obviously hasn't been able to find anyone willing to come here that he feels is of the required standard but until he does, we are going to continue to struggle.

In all honesty I feel this season is finished , too much water under the bridge and all that .
Still doesn't know his best eleven or where to play them . Yes injuries and suspensions didn't and don't help however this was a known factor .
We played some nice approach football but in reality knew we were never going to score . The longer it went on I was expecting a Brodie moment .
At a loss at this moment in time , it's only  early october too  
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2014, 8:14am; Reply: 23
Quoted from DocTower

In all honesty I feel this season is finished , too much water under the bridge and all that .
Still doesn't know his best eleven or where to play them . Yes injuries and suspensions didn't and don't help however this was a known factor .
We played some nice approach football but in reality knew we were never going to score . The longer it went on I was expecting a Brodie moment .
At a loss at this moment in time , it's only  early october too  

If we could find someone up front that could hit the ground running, like Hannah did when he first came on loan,or even someone like Conlon, who sparked us for a while, we could yet salvage something from this season.

Play offs are still very much a possibility, even if top spot is looking more and more elusive.

Posted by: DocTower, October 8, 2014, 8:16am; Reply: 24
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Just spoken to a brizzle city supporter at work. The only person he could think of it possibly being is a lad called Wes burns, who was on loan to Fgr last season

So what we going to do with Oats ? Whether he goes back to Barnsley and we borrow another of their uff sttikers .  I don't think the young lad was given a chance last night , what was it 70 mins when he came on .  At least I paid for my ticket and watched the match , not one of the missing 800 .
Posted by: DocTower, October 8, 2014, 8:22am; Reply: 25
Quoted from ginnywings

If we could find someone up front that could hit the ground running, like Hannah did when he first came on loan,or even someone like Conlon, who sparked us for a while, we could yet salvage something from this season.

Play offs are still very much a possibility, even if top spot is looking more and more elusive.

What happens to these goal scores ? Here on loan they look like Messi  . After being coached by our lot it is just messy .
Think we really are down to a 20 year old in the reserves somewhere nearby . Problem is if your a league player there isn't much kudos to come to the conference .
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 8:31am; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

It's fine everyone wanting a new striker but we should be thinking about what sort of striker we want. My opinion for what it's worth is that Hurst is looking to replace Hannah not LJL.

He's found plenty of suitable strikers but the problem is persuading one to come here. I don't think it's geography and JF says it's not money so it has to be simpler - they want to be first choice. Nobody wants to come and be stuck on the bench. That's because the manager is known for swapping and changing between 2 and 1 up front. Nobody is going to want to come if they are likely to be the one left out when PH starts coming over all 4-5-1 because the 1 will always be LJL. It will be a waste of time and money if we have another Oates just getting 10-15 minutes when the game has gone pear shaped.

So we have to be careful what we wish for. Leaving Pittman out of the equation because he is never likely to play a long run of games, the striker we need is another LJL but a lot better. In a settled partnership, someone who gets goals regularly even if not prolifically would be a great asset to confidence and we could then see players like Hannah and the rest getting on the scoresheet like they should. It's not the Matt Tees we need, it's the Rod Green.

Posted by: Maringer, October 8, 2014, 8:41am; Reply: 27
Hannah hasn't looked like he could hit a cow's bottom with a banjo so far this season, but it's now claimed it is LJL's fault? Cripes.

LJL and Pittman's partnership looked pretty good before the injury which indicates that he can be part of a decent pairing.

Regardless, hope we can sign some sort of decent striker to make a change soon.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 8:57am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer
Hannah hasn't looked like he could hit a cow's bottom with a banjo so far this season, but it's now claimed it is LJL's fault? Cripes.

LJL and Pittman's partnership looked pretty good before the injury which indicates that he can be part of a decent pairing.

Regardless, hope we can sign some sort of decent striker to make a change soon.

I certainly would agree with you about Hannah but to me that's a different situation and it would be another signing to replace him. Nobody can fault LJL for work rate and so on but he does not reliably bring goals, especially that crucial first goal or winner. Plus he is the only real target man we have and so  least likely to be dropped when Hurst goes with a lone striker. On that basis he should be the one to be replaced.
Posted by: acko338, October 8, 2014, 9:08am; Reply: 29
Solihull didn't play last night - are they playing this evening??...........
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 8, 2014, 9:09am; Reply: 30
Quoted from DocTower

So what we going to do with Oats ? Whether he goes back to Barnsley and we borrow another of their uff sttikers .  I don't think the young lad was given a chance last night , what was it 70 mins when he came on .  At least I paid for my ticket and watched the match , not one of the missing 800 .

Was merely responding to the suggestion that hurst could be going to look at a player tonight at the Cheltenham game
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 8, 2014, 9:31am; Reply: 31
Should of got Danny Wright in
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 8, 2014, 9:37am; Reply: 32
There must be a Hannah (mk1) scratching his backside in someone's reserves somewhere?
Posted by: GorgeousGeorge, October 8, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 33
Hmm, decisions decisions Mr Fenty.  Now what would it cost to terminate PH's contract, one year rolling I believe, £50k to £70k roughly?  Then agents fees, possibly compensation and a fat salary to a new manager, then a bit more for new players.  I'm no expert but I'm guessing at least £150k, probably a lot more.  All that versus a chat with PH to give him some very clear guidance, notice on his contract but with a caveat that he can be renewed if objectives are achieved, plus £150k to spend getting two top strikers in.

A tough choice and probably a no win either way.  
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 8, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 34

It's fine everyone wanting a new striker but we should be thinking about what sort of striker we want. My opinion for what it's worth is that Hurst is looking to replace Hannah not LJL.

He's found plenty of suitable strikers but the problem is persuading one to come here. I don't think it's geography and JF says it's not money so it has to be simpler - they want to be first choice. Nobody wants to come and be stuck on the bench. That's because the manager is known for swapping and changing between 2 and 1 up front. Nobody is going to want to come if they are likely to be the one left out when PH starts coming over all 4-5-1 because the 1 will always be LJL. It will be a waste of time and money if we have another Oates just getting 10-15 minutes when the game has gone pear shaped.

So we have to be careful what we wish for. Leaving Pittman out of the equation because he is never likely to play a long run of games, the striker we need is another LJL but a lot better. In a settled partnership, someone who gets goals regularly even if not prolifically would be a great asset to confidence and we could then see players like Hannah and the rest getting on the scoresheet like they should. It's not the Matt Tees we need, it's the Rod Green.

If he was looking to replace Hannah he'd surely have gone for Dan Holman, but he said we weren't in for him for some reason.
Posted by: kingster72, October 8, 2014, 11:12am; Reply: 35
It's all too late, this striker search has been going on all summer and now 3 months into the season!  He is not capable of finding one and should be getting more from what he has.  He let Southwell go, whom he never gave a decent run, but showed potential and had Connell, who he gave 3 games then let go, Connell should have at least stayed until he found his man.  Why is Hurst still there?
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 8, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Jaws

The hairs are beginning to stand up on the back of my neck    ;D ;D ;D ;D :(
Posted by: Quagmire, October 8, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge
Hmm, decisions decisions Mr Fenty.  Now what would it cost to terminate PH's contract, one year rolling I believe, £50k to £70k roughly?  Then agents fees, possibly compensation and a fat salary to a new manager, then a bit more for new players.  I'm no expert but I'm guessing at least £150k, probably a lot more.  All that versus a chat with PH to give him some very clear guidance, notice on his contract but with a caveat that he can be renewed if objectives are achieved, plus £150k to spend getting two top strikers in.

A tough choice and probably a no win either way.  

It wouldn't actually 'cost' the club anything to sack Hurst as his salary is already built into the current budget - the only additional expense would be the salary for the new manager.

Personally I'd give him his notice today and we'd pay him his salary from now until October 8th 2015.

I would consider him contracted to the club until October 8th next year, effectively putting him on gardening leave - if he wanted to find a position at another club in the meantime no problem, but in order for him to be able to sign a contract he'd have to terminate his contract with us.  

He isn't going to want to stay out of football long - the longer out of it, the less chance of finding something, his 'pal' Rob Scott being an example - so, according to some on here he'd walk into another job, cancel his contract with us, and we'd end up paying less money to him.

Rather simplistic and more than likely not actually possible, but food for thought.

Ultimately, I think it's time for a change.

I don't like the big divide amongst fans at the minute or the name calling - I don't consider myself "anti Hurst", I am pro GTFC, and IMO, the best way forward is a change of manager.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 8, 2014, 1:04pm; Reply: 38
I can only think of Wes Burns from Bristol City or Byron Harrison from Cheltenham he has a decent record 15 goals in 69 games but he as had a few injuries.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 1:07pm; Reply: 39
There is always the one possibility that hasn't been mentioned. The strikers we have could be good enough if playing for another manager.
Posted by: Dan, October 8, 2014, 1:10pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from fiveallive
15 goals in 69 games

A decent record to rival that of John Lewis.

Maybe if we can't find a striker we should produce one. When was the last time we did that successfully?

I think we all know the answer, he's in Ireland.
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 8, 2014, 1:10pm; Reply: 41
How come Hannah's goals have dried up? He's scored them for fun in the first part of his career and now couldn't hit a cow's bottom with a banjo. Would a change of style suit his needs better? Do we really need another striker when it might only be the supply that needs fixing?
Posted by: oldun, October 8, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jock dock tower
How come Hannah's goals have dried up? He's scored them for fun in the first part of his career and now couldn't hit a cow's bottom with a banjo. Would a change of style suit his needs better? Do we really need another striker when it might only be the supply that needs fixing?

Yes we do need a striker, possibly 2. You cannot operate effectively with 2 and a young lad on loan. I am excluding Pittman, who I do think is a good striker but seems he will not be available very often.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 8, 2014, 1:27pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from jock dock tower

It must be a confidence issue. I mean he scored 52 goals in a single season not that long ago (which is surprising since he can barely kick a ball with his right foot at the moment). I remember when he first signed on loan and went on an impressive goalscoring run, most of his goals came from his movement in the box and clinical finishing - attributes which seem to have gone missing of late. He's never been the kind of player to beat defenders regularly and make goals for himself (although his goal against Chester was quite good).
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, October 8, 2014, 1:42pm; Reply: 44
Surprised PH doesn't seem to maximise his Rotherham connections.Don't they have any surplus strikers or promising youngters to bring on?
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 8, 2014, 1:45pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
Surprised PH doesn't seem to maximise his Rotherham connections.Don't they have any surplus strikers or promising youngters to bring on?

I imagine Steve Evans isn't too interested in sending his players to Blundell Park given his unceremonious exit the last time he visited.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 8, 2014, 1:48pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Chrisblor

It must be a confidence issue. I mean he scored 52 goals in a single season not that long ago (which is surprising since he can barely kick a ball with his right foot at the moment). I remember when he first signed on loan and went on an impressive goalscoring run, most of his goals came from his movement in the box and clinical finishing - attributes which seem to have gone missing of late. He's never been the kind of player to beat defenders regularly and make goals for himself (although his goal against Chester was quite good).

Was that in a league where they abolished the offside rule?
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 8, 2014, 1:52pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Was that in a league where they abolished the offside rule?

He was probably in a team with decent wingers who could beat players and put in an accurate cross to negate any offside problems he has. He's not the best when it comes to beating the offside trap, but on the odd occasions he does his touch and finishing is letting him down at present, which can only be put down to confidence.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 8, 2014, 2:36pm; Reply: 48
Agree with jock doc tower and stated on another thread that whilst strikers are a problem I also think the lack of creativity, apart from Neilson, from out wide and from our midfield is an issue. We now have two excellent ball winners in midfield but none are that creative and without Disley none are regular goal scorers
Posted by: barralad, October 8, 2014, 4:59pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ackomariner

IF and it's a big "If" that were true it's hardly Hurst's fault is it?

Posted by: chicaneuk, October 8, 2014, 5:04pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Chrisblor

This is what I don't get about Hannah. What happened to him? When we had him on loan he was devastating. And now, with the greatest respect to him, he's simply not delivering. And I've lost count of how many times he has been caught offside.

Is it confidence? Supply? Or just lost interest in the club?
Posted by: webbit, October 8, 2014, 6:05pm; Reply: 51
Omar Bogle??, banging them in ok at a lower level, but worth a chance.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 8, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from webbit
Omar Bogle??, banging them in ok at a lower level, but worth a chance.

That one has sort of been done to death but he certainly would have been an asset to us.
Posted by: ackomariner, October 8, 2014, 6:21pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from chicaneuk

This is what I don't get about Hannah. What happened to him? When we had him on loan he was devastating. And now, with the greatest respect to him, he's simply not delivering. And I've lost count of how many times he has been caught offside.

Every striker that's played with Lewis have gone ti ts up.....work it out for yourselves
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 8, 2014, 6:26pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from webbit
Omar Bogle Dayle Southwell??, banging them in ok at a lower level, but worth a chance.

Oh wait!  :o
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 8, 2014, 6:32pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Chrisblor

A confidence issue not helped by a manager who will drop him every time he has a bad game, yet keep his strike partner on come rain or shine. That can't do anybody any good. He's so often robbed of having another strike partner too. Him & Cook had a great record together before Hurst single handedly crushed the confidence of the latter.

Funny how Hannahs best game this season came when he started with somebody else.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 8, 2014, 6:37pm; Reply: 56
Always somebody elses fault when it's your favourites Lew. He seemed to do alright at Alfreton last season with LJL next to him.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 8, 2014, 6:40pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Always somebody elses fault when it's your favourites Lew. He seemed to do alright at Alfreton last season with LJL next to him.

I won't deny Hannah has had his faults. But like a few others he's been poorly man managed. Players don't just turn excrement.
Posted by: Garth, October 8, 2014, 6:44pm; Reply: 58
I thought Reeves was poor last night    just saying
Posted by: barralad, October 8, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from pontoonlew

I won't deny Hannah has had his faults. But like a few others he's been poorly man managed. Players don't just turn excrement.

We have a long recent history of players coming to Town on loan who look like world beaters but then go off the boil. As I recall he struck up a good partnership with Neilson whilst on loan. Perhaps that should be looked at..
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, October 8, 2014, 6:51pm; Reply: 60
That Andy Cook is banging them in for Barrow, got 7 in 10, maybe we should look at him?
Posted by: Garth, October 8, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
That Andy Cook is banging them in for Barrow, got 7 in 10, maybe we should look at him?

Now theres a thought Cook and Southwell up front for Town  ;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 8, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 62
How about re-signing Fyfield he has just got two for Kidderminster, mind you he is playing for Welling.
Posted by: fishkeeper, October 8, 2014, 9:31pm; Reply: 63
heard roy of the rovers is available
Posted by: Tom13, October 8, 2014, 10:14pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Chrisblor

Wasn't that at least 3 or 4 levels below us?
Posted by: Grimal, October 8, 2014, 10:19pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Chrisblor

I imagine Steve Evans isn't too interested in sending his players to Blundell Park given his unceremonious exit the last time he visited.

I do remember it was a very cold night and he said he was pleased he was escorted out of the ground as it was much warmer sat in the team bus than in the stands .(taz).
Posted by: Tommy, October 8, 2014, 10:37pm; Reply: 66
I get that goalscorers don't grow on trees and that teams are reluctant to release good strikers, but as others have said, we have needed a goalscoring striker since Hearn got injured a year ago. Possibly the first time Hearn got injured. And it's not good enough that this issue hasn't been addressed over such a long period of time.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 8, 2014, 10:45pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from chicaneuk

Or is it just public perception;
FACT -  Hannah last season virtually averaged a goal every other game, a 1 in 2 record, for the time he was played, 29 games worth of match time over the season, 14 goals...not too shabby.
FACT - LJL by the same comparison managed a 1 in 5

This season Hannah is on 1 in 3 average while LJL is on a 1 in 3.3  but who gets picked more often??

Maybe the answer is right under both ours and the managers nose...............play to your best strikers strengths.

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 9, 2014, 9:20am; Reply: 68
Someone mentioned Wes Burns on here ? He scored for Bristol City last night
Posted by: tashee69, October 9, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 69
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Is that the same Andy Cook that looked average at best when playing for Grimsby last season that now seems to some sort of hero now he's scoring in the league below. Perhaps that should be what we're missing. If we get relegated perhaps our strikers will improve.
Posted by: tashee69, October 9, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 70
Quoted from moosey_club

Or is it just public perception;
FACT -  Hannah last season virtually averaged a goal every other game, a 1 in 2 record, for the time he was played, 29 games worth of match time over the season, 14 goals...not too shabby.
FACT - LJL by the same comparison managed a 1 in 5

This season Hannah is on 1 in 3 average while LJL is on a 1 in 3.3  but who gets picked more often??

Maybe the answer is right under both ours and the managers nose...............play to your best strikers strengths.

Soccerbase says Hannah has scored 2 in 10 games while LJL has scored 4 in 12. Leave you to do the simple maths.
Just showing that stats can be made to show what you want them to.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 9, 2014, 11:38am; Reply: 71
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Someone mentioned Wes Burns on here ? He scored for Bristol City last night

I spoke to a colleague that supports city, and he was the only player he could think of if we were looking at their strikers.

Didn't say we were interested, just asking who it could be
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 9, 2014, 12:13pm; Reply: 72
Ched Evans was trending on twitter this morning, would anybody have him here?
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2014, 12:29pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
Ched Evans was trending on twitter this morning, would anybody have him here?

Sounds like a Welsh cowboy, can he shoot straight?
Posted by: winston, October 9, 2014, 12:31pm; Reply: 74
Danny North get him back
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 9, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Garth

Sounds like a Welsh cowboy, can he shoot straight?

Apparently so!  :o
Posted by: psgmariner, October 9, 2014, 12:41pm; Reply: 76
They are building a new Premier Inn at Cleethorpes aren't they?

http://chedevans.com/
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2014, 12:42pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Apparently so!  :o

He would need a deputy Doig ;)
Posted by: ivanosandwich, October 9, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 78
Sorry for going off the subject a little but I didn't realise that Clayton MacDonald was also involved in this case.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 9, 2014, 2:01pm; Reply: 79
Yeah Clayton was found innocent because she consented, but didn't consent to Ched Evens that's why he was found guilty of rape.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 9, 2014, 3:15pm; Reply: 80
Another dour, downbeat update from Hurst as he fails yet again in his search for a competent goalscorer:
Quoted Text
Paul Hurst isn't optimistic of bringing in a striker ahead of Saturday's Vanarama Conference clash at Wrexham.

"Yet again I thought we were getting somewhere and that situation changed. We will probably be as we are, which I am comfortable with.

"I went to a game this week and what I saw wasn't any better than we have currently got. So it is waiting to get the right one."

Really Paul, are you sure about that?
Posted by: moosey_club, October 9, 2014, 5:02pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from tashee69

Soccerbase says Hannah has scored 2 in 10 games while LJL has scored 4 in 12. Leave you to do the simple maths.
Just showing that stats can be made to show what you want them to.

Yes they can.. but Hannah has not had the same time on the pitch, 9 appearances totalling 547 mins on the pitch (not including the Alty game).........LJL  11 appearances totalling 898 mins on the pitch (not including the Alty game).  
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 9, 2014, 5:18pm; Reply: 82
He's 'comfortable' with our striking options? Well seems as though he signed them all, started the season with 3 and still has 3, comfortable isn't quite good enough for me. We've missed out/passed up the opportunity on nearly as many strikers as Forest Green have had in the last 12 months. We've had since May to get this sorted.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from winston
Danny North get him back

Seems obvious to me. As I said the other night, his scoring record is pretty good - (in fact very good). Republic of Ireland season just finishing - he's match fit and scoring. He's 27 years old now - an experienced striker. Grimsby Town first gave him his chance (until Mike Newell sidelined him). Grimsby lad. Perfect time to sign him.

UTM

Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 6:18pm; Reply: 84
He was scoring for fun in league 1 before he was jailed,

He has served his time,

Why should he be punished again by making him play under Hurst. :-/
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2014, 6:30pm; Reply: 85
Why mot?
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2014, 7:04pm; Reply: 86
Beautyman seemed a good prospect against Kiddy last night
Posted by: nightrider, October 9, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 87
I'd like to see Danny North given a go - Thing is, no striker is gonna be given the time. We don't have the time - 10 more games and the season could be well and truly over.
Fans start to question strikers if they haven't scored after their first game. Got a feeling North might take at least a month to get going
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from nightrider
I'd like to see Danny North given a go - Thing is, no striker is gonna be given the time. We don't have the time - 10 more games and the season could be well and truly over.
Fans start to question strikers if they haven't scored after their first game. Got a feeling North might take at least a month to get going

My view is he is up and running now  - European football  August and September has been the icing on the cake for him (including scoring an important goal in Rosenborg), which Sligo fans will never forget. If anyone can continue seamlessly for us (given the right service!) - it is him
Posted by: DocTower, October 9, 2014, 8:56pm; Reply: 89
All very good , but add to this the style that Hurst plays . It would be another stfikers confidence blown out of the water .
Posted by: smokey111, October 9, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from nightrider

Watch this space...
Posted by: Tommy, October 9, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 91
[quote][/quote]
Quoted from Chrisblor
Another dour, downbeat update from Hurst as he fails yet again in his search for a competent goalscorer:

Really Paul, are you sure about that?

In fairness, is that not just a bit of man-management of the current strikers? If he came out and said he's not happy with the striking options he's got, it'd hardly fill LJL/Oates/Hannah with self-belief and confidence.

I'm sure he is unhappy with his options with Pittman/Arnold out deep down.

But any more strikers that come in need to be good enough to go into the first eleven and improve the XI, not just make up the numbers and get splinters on their bottom (I.e. Oates).
Posted by: Sigone, October 9, 2014, 10:18pm; Reply: 92
Cheltenham striker Terry gornell has been placed on transfer list and has rejected a move to one club according to sky
Posted by: forza ivano, October 9, 2014, 10:37pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Sigone
Cheltenham striker Terry gornell has been placed on transfer list and has rejected a move to one club according to sky

Came on as sub last night and scred within 10 minutes. We're you hinting that he was the striker hurst went to watch sigone?
Posted by: Sigone, October 9, 2014, 10:44pm; Reply: 94
Sorry I've no idea just putting 2+2 together and probably getting 5. Free transfer and always been around league 2 so sorta meets the profile Mr Hurst will be looking at I guess. Not the greatest goalscoring record though.
Posted by: Quagmire, October 10, 2014, 11:02am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Sigone
Not the greatest goalscoring record though.

Definitely fits the Hurst profile then
;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 10, 2014, 3:02pm; Reply: 96
According to his comments today Hurst thinks the biggest problem in getting league strikers to come to BP is dropping into the Conference.

I just wonder how many league players thought the same about Luton or Cambridge or York or ..... when they were in the Conference, or Barnet now? Just not convinced by this excuse, especially when he goes on to say he is looking for someone to give his current players some competition. Not replace them, just give them some competition! Looks like everyone is wrong about Hannah & LJL, they must be brilliant if a league player is only going to provide competition for them!
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 10, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 97
I think if we we're in the play off positions then the chance to come here and maybe win a promotion does appeal. Much more so than a team sat in mid table, I'd imagine that's more likely to be the problem but I doubt Hurst will admit that.
Posted by: rancido, October 10, 2014, 3:50pm; Reply: 98
According to his comments today Hurst thinks the biggest problem in getting league strikers to come to BP is dropping into the Conference.

I just wonder how many league players thought the same about Luton or Cambridge or York or ..... when they were in the Conference, or Barnet now? Just not convinced by this excuse, especially when he goes on to say he is looking for someone to give his current players some competition. Not replace them, just give them some competition! Looks like everyone is wrong about Hannah & LJL, they must be brilliant if a league player is only going to provide competition for them!

Didn't Alan Buckley say that he had problems getting players to come here and we were a league club then. You mentioned Luton, Cambridge and Barnet but these clubs are close to or part of London so players in the largest conurbation in the country don't have to move accommodation or endure long commutes to play. Obviously that doesn't apply to York but geographical position can play a large part in determining whether a player moves to a club or not.
Posted by: timmo, October 10, 2014, 3:52pm; Reply: 99
I think Danny North would do a job now. IMO he got complacent while here. Thought he'd made the big time but I'd say now his got a good reputation. Matured and a better professional.

I think he would suit us getting down the wings or playing off LJL. His good around the box gives us something else when teams park the bus.

Wages will be a problem I know his on what I would assume our top earners are on here. Said that would the lare of coming home coupled with putting right his 1st spell here make him come.

I'd be happy to see him Don the famous black and whites again.

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 10, 2014, 4:06pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from rancido

Didn't Alan Buckley say that he had problems getting players to come here and we were a league club then. You mentioned Luton, Cambridge and Barnet but these clubs are close to or part of London so players in the largest conurbation in the country don't have to move accommodation or endure long commutes to play. Obviously that doesn't apply to York but geographical position can play a large part in determining whether a player moves to a club or not.

The AFC Wimbledon side is a good example of what you mean and certainly Barnet do get loan players from the likes of Millwall and juniors from Arsenal and so on. But if you look at Barnet's current squad they are from all over the place. Geography does play a part but it isn't everything. Money plays a part but it isn't everything either. I am still of the opinion that the answer lies in Hurst's own words - he wants someone to bring competition to the players he has. Therefore he is saying to any would-be signing that they could be on the bench at least as much as they will be on the field. That, plus the fact that strikers coming here seem to see their goals dry up remarkably quickly, is the deciding factor I reckon.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 10, 2014, 4:10pm; Reply: 101
Arsenal once used Barnet as a feeder club didn't they so the reserves could use under hill??
Posted by: moosey_club, October 10, 2014, 8:41pm; Reply: 102
Danny North welcomed back??? Is this the same Danny North who was almost cheered out of Town by many on here when he left as he was seen as being overweight and tipped for a future employee of the month at a well known drive thru?

Fickle ?
Posted by: Garth, October 11, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from moosey_club
Danny North welcomed back??? Is this the same Danny North who was almost cheered out of Town by many on here when he left as he was seen as being overweight and tipped for a future employee of the month at a well known drive thru?

Fickle ?

But we were great then and could pick and choose ;)
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:30am