Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, October 6, 2014, 5:01pm
Barnet are favorites with quite a few to go up this season, , , they have made a pretty decent start as well, , , but as we know a long way to go, , , anyways just hoping I could find the answer to this question, , ,

How many teams have been relegated to non league and gone straight back up into the football league the next season??

I am thinking it is Lincoln and Shrewsbury but cant find the correct answer!
Posted by: Abdul19, October 6, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 1
Carlisle did as well. Barnet won't be adding to that list though!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 6, 2014, 5:42pm; Reply: 2
Darlington did it not long after Lincoln too I believe but it's not been done for a long time.

I think 4 have done it. Lincoln did it when they were relegated in the first season of automatic promotion/relegation to The Conference. Darlington did it not long after (I think) and then it was Shrewsbury and Carlisle, although they both won promotion as play-off winners.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 6, 2014, 6:47pm; Reply: 3
Just looked in a bit more detail.

Lincoln were relegated in 1986/87 and won The Conference the following season.

Darlington were relegated in 1988/89 and won The Conference the following season.

Obviously, at the time there were very few ex-league teams in The Conference like there is now.

More recently Shrewsbury were relegated in 2002/03 and won The Conference play-off final the following season, (Chester City won the title that season) The play-offs were only introduced the previous season.

The last time it was done was in the 2004/05 season when Carlisle won The Conference play-off final having been relegated the previous season. (Barnet won the title that season)

As has been mentioned though its not possible for Barnet to do it this season as they were relegated the season before last. The 2 teams relegated last season were Bristol Rovers and Torquay who are both going well at the minute and one (or even both) could become the first to do it for 10 seasons.

I hope that's answered your question Timsky.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 6, 2014, 9:21pm; Reply: 4
Carlisle built a very good team and went up again the following season of Westwood in goal a Spanish LB who scored a couple against us at home in the 2005/06 season Karl Hawley seemed to have have relayed on that season for Carlisle just like Anthony Elding at Stockport and Alan Connell here all of them where great for one season i remember Ciaran Toner scoring a blinder and Martin Gritton missing a free header in that game at home.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, October 7, 2014, 1:55pm; Reply: 5
Thanks Les, , , a superbly detailed reply!! UTM
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 10:13am