Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: bax, October 6, 2014, 10:18am
I'm on the fence in the Hurst in/out debate, but found a few stats interesting. Since the turn of the year (Lincoln at home on NYD) we've won just 16 of 44 matches. This would put us about 10th in a league table.

I guess the question is how long do you allow mediocrity to linger before action - whatever that is - takes place? This season's form hasn't been temporary, the issues (lack of strikers etc) have been with us for a while now.

For anyone interested, I've written a bit more about it here:

http://toogoodtogodown.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/promotion-form-grimsby-town-have-won-just-16-of-their-last-44-matches/
Posted by: mariner91, October 6, 2014, 10:21am; Reply: 1
Hadn't realised our form was quite that bad. Particularly when you take into account that it's 3 points for a win and draws can soon leave you with a big gap to make up, perhaps it's time to twist in regards to the manager.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 6, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 2
I think you have to factor in Mr Fentys statement on here that a new stadium is critical to the future of the club and that he won't prop up BP forever. He states that promotion isn't critical to the development of a new stadium - maybe it isn't - but it would sure as hell help him if it were achieved, not least for the improved cashflow that it would bring, particularly as crowds increase as games become more critical. Currently, according to the form figures you have put together, he can only expect home gates to fall not rise, thus causing the opposite to happen.
Posted by: TAGG, October 6, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 3
As always a great blog.

"How long do you allow mediocrity to linger before action" great question for Hurst supporters.
Posted by: Garth, October 6, 2014, 10:48am; Reply: 4
Thats the form of a nearly man, no points for that people only remember the winners Buckley Laurie Mac and Kerr
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, October 6, 2014, 11:02am; Reply: 5
We all remember Mike Newell though Garth ;)
Posted by: Garth, October 6, 2014, 11:12am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Fcukthescunts

As in nightmares(eek)(eek)(eek)
Posted by: friskneymariner, October 6, 2014, 11:42am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Fcukthescunts

Never forget is not the same as always remember.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 6, 2014, 11:58am; Reply: 8
Quoted from mariner91
Hadn't realised our form was quite that bad. Particularly when you take into account that it's 3 points for a win and draws can soon leave you with a big gap to make up, perhaps it's time to twist in regards to the manager.

Yeah I think draws are often useless. They're what got Neil Woods' team relegated (only lost 6 of those infamous 20 games I think).
Posted by: mariner91, October 6, 2014, 12:11pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Abdul19

Yeah I think draws are often useless. They're what got Neil Woods' team relegated (only lost 6 of those infamous 20 games I think).

Obviously it's sometimes better to get a draw than to lose (against a rival for example) but 3 points for a win means the meek don't succeed.
Posted by: fiveallive, October 6, 2014, 12:19pm; Reply: 10
To many draws in them games, not putting the lesser teams away will cost him his job.
Posted by: Teesknees, October 6, 2014, 12:20pm; Reply: 11
My misses says there's no such thing as too long!!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 6, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Teesknees
My misses says there's no such thing as too long!!

She's never read an 80'sglory post then?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 6, 2014, 1:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from mariner91

Obviously it's sometimes better to get a draw than to lose (against a rival for example) but 3 points for a win means the meek don't succeed.

Yep agreed. If you're 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go it's obviously a great result, but a load of them is a lot of dropped points.

Remember Lee Clark's Huddersfield and their much vaunted 8000 game unbeaten run? Didn't get them promoted!

Having said that, it worked out ok for Russ Wilcox last season!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 6, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 14
Been saying for months that we draw too many games and it's down to Hurst. Too cautious and can't sign a decent striker. Only Hearn in his entire tenure has been the required standard. The rest have been mainly tosh.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 6, 2014, 8:06pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from bax
I'm on the fence in the Hurst in/out debate, but found a few stats interesting. Since the turn of the year (Lincoln at home on NYD) we've won just 16 of 44 matches. This would put us about 10th in a league table.

I guess the question is how long do you allow mediocrity to linger before action - whatever that is - takes place? This season's form hasn't been temporary, the issues (lack of strikers etc) have been with us for a while now.

For anyone interested, I've written a bit more about it here:

http://toogoodtogodown.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/promotion-form-grimsby-town-have-won-just-16-of-their-last-44-matches/
Quite alarming statistics when you put it into perspective.

Good article that, thanks.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 2:04am