Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: brigg_mariner, October 5, 2014, 8:53pm
As the subject says.

He knows what us fans require, knows the pride and passion that comes with GTFC.

THIS IS MY OPINION.

Posted by: BIGChris, October 5, 2014, 9:02pm; Reply: 1
I'd hate to see another playing legend have his reputation tarnished
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 5, 2014, 9:06pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from brigg_mariner
As the subject says.

He knows what us fans require, knows the pride and passion that comes with GTFC.

THIS IS MY OPINION.

So did Neil Woods.
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, October 5, 2014, 9:12pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from BIGChris
I'd hate to see another playing legend have his reputation tarnished

Agree.

Never struck me as either a captain or manager material.....

Far and away the best fullback in my town watching over 50 years though.

Mills for me......doubt he would come though.

Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 9:13pm; Reply: 4
What's  is managerial experience?
Posted by: petethemariner, October 5, 2014, 9:17pm; Reply: 5
If Fenty pulls the trigger on Hurst  and IMO that is far from certain,we cannot afford
to make managerial decisions based on sentiment, Macca was a playing legend, but
that is as far as it goes IMO - he has done nothing Manager wise to believe he has what it
takes at this stage- the new man, if it happens, needs to be a proven successful manager,
we cannot have another Woods situation IMO.
Posted by: denni266, October 5, 2014, 9:18pm; Reply: 6
legend , and lets keep it that way
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 5, 2014, 9:20pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 2578

What's his managerial experience, none.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

What's his managerial experience, none.

Exactly! End of silly thread.
Posted by: JMT, October 5, 2014, 9:32pm; Reply: 9
What next? Buckley posts?
Posted by: wigworld, October 5, 2014, 9:32pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 2578

Assistant manager at Harrogate Town.

Doubt he would come anyway, as he feels Fenty pulled a fast one over his last professional contract with Town.
Posted by: gtfc82, October 5, 2014, 9:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from promotion plaice

So did Neil Woods.

And Graham Rodger!
Posted by: gtfc82, October 5, 2014, 9:36pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from wigworld

Assistant manager at Harrogate Town.

Who are currently 16th in the Conference North!

Ridiculous suggestion!  :o
Posted by: Jaws, October 5, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 13
Though he was a loyal servant to the club; it is ludicrous to suggest a team that is trying to get promoted (and has the stature and fanbase that needs to stay in League 2 or above) should employ someone who's only managerial experience is some college kids and an assistants job at a team 2 leagues below where we want/need to be.

Didn't work with Scott and Hurst, plus Macca hasn't exactly been round the block he's only ever been at one professional club - he certainly won't have many contacts.

We need a streetwise manager, one who will let us play the dirty tricks other teams play - I couldn't care how dishonest we are as long it got us out this shambles of a league.
Posted by: oldun, October 5, 2014, 9:43pm; Reply: 14
Nonsense idea.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 5, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 15
If Macca was any good as a manager the world of football would have noticed by now. It's years since he retired. If we really want to contemplate replacing PH it has to be someone with a comparable record at this level or close to this level and there aren't that many names out there.If there's nobody available and in our budget then we can afford to wait until there is rather than make panic appointments.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, October 5, 2014, 10:07pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from GrimRob
If Macca was any good as a manager the world of football would have noticed by now. It's years since he retired. If we really want to contemplate replacing PH it has to be someone with a comparable record at this level or close to this level and there aren't that many names out there.If there's nobody available and in our budget then we can afford to wait until there is rather than make panic appointments.

so even rose  tinted rob , is up for a change ?
Posted by: Abdul19, October 5, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 17
Appointing someone for 'pride' and/or 'passion' reasons alone is a terrible idea.
Posted by: chaos33, October 5, 2014, 10:25pm; Reply: 18
Of course it is. It's an absurd idea.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 5, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 19
With an experienced number 2, ie an ageing manager why not? If the guy wants to throw his hat in the ring (should Hurst leave) then all power to him. If he is willing to put his rep on the line then fair play.. It doesn't always go mammaries up..
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 5, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 20
With an experienced number 2, ie an ageing manager why not? If the guy wants to throw his hat in the ring (should Hurst leave) then all power to him. If he is willing to put his rep on the line then fair play.. It doesn't always go mammaries up..
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, October 5, 2014, 10:36pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from JMT

I don't think he's on here, and besides what would he post, other then Mk IV?
Posted by: GrimRob, October 5, 2014, 10:40pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from highcliff mariner

so even rose  tinted rob , is up for a change ?

Not until the sumer and only then if the target of a top five finish is not achieved. That's what I've always said more or less.
Posted by: chaos33, October 5, 2014, 11:09pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

What?! So your view is....if Macca has got the guts to apply, he should be given the job..??
Posted by: davmariner, October 5, 2014, 11:17pm; Reply: 24
Ffs, Macca hasn't even had a managers job in the league below. The idea that because someone was a great player for us gives them an automatic right to manage us is ridiculous.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 5, 2014, 11:19pm; Reply: 25
We need an experienced man ,

It is not the time to take a chance on anybody even Macca.
Posted by: chaos33, October 5, 2014, 11:24pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from davmariner
Ffs, Macca hasn't even had a managers job in the league below. The idea that because someone was a great player for us gives them an automatic right to manage us is ridiculous.

Absolutely! Does it even need to be said?!?!
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 5, 2014, 11:48pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from JMT

8)
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 5, 2014, 11:56pm; Reply: 28
I'd love to see macca back at the club he belongs in some capacity, but not manager.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 6, 2014, 12:10am; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33

What?! So your view is....if Macca has got the guts to apply, he should be given the job..??

Thats not it at all. We know he has applied before, thats where my comment came from. He has must have knowledge of the non leagues. What I'm saying is it's not as absurd as what people may think IF he has the experienced team behind him.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 6, 2014, 12:18am; Reply: 30
Quoted from jimgtfc
I'd love to see macca back at the club he belongs in some capacity, but not manager.

Kit man. ( Neil Baldwin ).
Posted by: DocTower, October 6, 2014, 7:18am; Reply: 31
Quoted from jimgtfc

Really good comment , like someone said as a number 2 learning his trade under the guidance of an experienced proven manager . How old is he now ?  With age comes respect  ,  although the players do a job here do they respect Hurst who in reality is still a young manager learning his trade . Question is who is teaching him , as it stands it appears to be the ex Scunny boss and our physio DM .
Posted by: RoboCod, October 6, 2014, 7:22am; Reply: 32
I too think Macca is a bit  of a  barmy idea but it did make me wonder just why no Buckley era players (from either of the first two spells) haven't gone on to become good footballing managers in the mould of their old gaffer. Burnett possibly being the most successful currently?
Posted by: Mariner21, October 6, 2014, 7:28am; Reply: 33
No!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 6, 2014, 8:06am; Reply: 34
May as well get Neil Woods back for another go.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 6, 2014, 10:15am; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
May as well get Neil Woods back for another go.

He is a ruddy nice chap apparently.
Posted by: Garth, October 6, 2014, 10:26am; Reply: 36
Quoted from GrimRob

No one is suggesting panic appointments we can wait a week,  seriously though any Director worth his salt however satisfied he is with his current manager has like us all cast his eye over other targets that he might like to shoot for should it be necessary
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 11:48pm