Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 7:06pm
If Hurst is to go who do we want?

Gary Brabin would be the ideal, short term, cheap option for the rest of the season.

Neil Aspin, Gary Mills, Justin Edinburgh, Richard Money, Graham Westley, Dave Penney, Martin Allen,  Chris Wilder would all be ambitious appointments but would take a lot of tempting.

We will hear Paul Trollope, Micky Adams and Ronnie Moore floating around but for me we want a manager who has non league experience just for the simple reason any manager who has been promoted out of this division has a few years experience in non league before getting out of the division.

Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 7:08pm; Reply: 1
steve burr wouldn't be to hard to get away from chester I don't think, did well at kiddy by playing good football and can always spot a player but has not done to well at chester but I like him.

Ronnie moore a good shout but don't think he would fancy it here tbh.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 4, 2014, 7:09pm; Reply: 2
Wouldn't be averse to Ronnie Moore if he'd come here
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 4, 2014, 7:12pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 1739
Neil Aspin, Gary Mills, Justin Edinburgh, Richard Money, Graham Westley, Dave Penney, Martin Allen,  Chris Wilder would all be ambitious appointments but would take a lot of tempting.
Stating the obvious, but the ones I've highlighted are at league 2 clubs, no offense but why on Earth would they want to come here at all? If we had millions to spend then yeah maybe, but we haven't.

Gary Mills, and definitely Martin Allen for sure woudn't come here, he's got the best chance of adding a promotion to his CV as champions of the conference premier.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 7:12pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from jonnyboy82
steve burr wouldn't be to hard to get away from chester I don't think, did well at kiddy by playing good football and can always spot a player but has not done to well at chester but I like him.

Ronnie moore a good shout but don't think he would fancy it here tbh.

Moore is 61, does he know much about this level of football? Also not sure his style of football would be appreciated at Town but he'd be in the mix for me. He was sacked at Tranmere for a £2 acca. Burr has been offered the Town job, or an interview at least and declined so he can do one.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 4, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from 1739
If Hurst is to go who do we want?

Gary Brabin would be the ideal, short term, cheap option for the rest of the season.

We will hear Paul Trollope, Micky Adams and Ronnie Moore floating around but for me we want a manager who has non league experience just for the simple reason any manager who has been promoted out of this division has a few years experience in non league before getting out of the division.

All other things being equal I would probably go for Dave Penney. He did an excellent job at Doncaster and knows lower leagues football. The question mark would be - why is he nowadays only assistant manager at Southend?

Posted by: ackomariner, October 4, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 6
Steve burr for me
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 4, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 7
My money's on the mighty mariner.

He's cheap and knows the club inside out.

Looking forward to his interviews with Hullberside.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 8
With Ronnie Moores recent troubles I hope we keep away. Although he had 2 promotions 16 years ago he hasn't done much since and he doesn't have conference experience which I think is key. Can you name me a manager from the conference who has been a success without having at least 1 year of non league experience before going into a job. John Still and Richard Money both had plenty of experience in the conference before getting promoted last year. Justin Edingburugh had 6 years before he got promoted at Newport. Paul Cox had 6 years at Eastwood before getting promoted. Steve had 8 years. Gary Mills,  Chris Wilder, John Coleman all had plenty previously before being successful at this level. I would keep away from Burr, he assembled a decent squad for that one season which Kiddy almost did it but Hurst has got us to the play-offs twice which Burr has only done once.
Posted by: Vance Warner, October 4, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 9
This thread shows our lack of realistic options - depressing.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 10

All other things being equal I would probably go for Dave Penney. He did an excellent job at Doncaster and knows lower leagues football. The question mark would be - why is he nowadays only assistant manager at Southend?

Some connection with Phil Brown and they have a bit of money behind them. He would be a decent choice.  I just hope we stay clear of Steve 'one decent season which didn't see him get promoted' Burr and Ronnie Moore. Lets not forget Steve Burr did get relegated last season and we dismantled his Chester team the other week.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 4, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Vance Warner
This thread shows our lack of realistic options - depressing.

Lack of realistic options ?,  

a manager out of work and one in our league at a smaller club.

keep up.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Stating the obvious, but the ones I've highlighted are at league 2 clubs, no offense but why on Earth would they want to come here at all? If we had millions to spend then yeah maybe, but we haven't.

Gary Mills, and definitely Martin Allen for sure woudn't come here, he's got the best chance of adding a promotion to his CV as champions of the conference premier.

Maybe they feel they cant take them any further. Money does speak in football these days and our crowds and budget would probably match a lot of them teams.
Posted by: tashee69, October 4, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 75

Burr has been offered the Town job, or an interview at least and declined so he can do one.

Mendonca chose Sheffield United over us after leaving Rotherham. Good job we decided not to go along that approach with him.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 4, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 14
On what basis is Gary Brabin the ideal candidate?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 4, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from 1739
Maybe they feel they cant take them any further. Money does speak in football these days and our crowds and budget would probably match a lot of them teams.
H'mm well those club match our gates and at the moment better ours, they also receive an extra <250K> just for being in league 2, guess most of that goes on the increase in wages being in a higher league.

Maybe if we was getting 6,000 to 9,000 every game and had the financial clout to just go out and buy the Andre Grays for 30K+ like Gary Brabin did then by all means I guess.
Posted by: chaos33, October 4, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 16
Exactly what I was thinking Rodley.  Absolutely not Brabin.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 4, 2014, 7:48pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
On what basis is Gary Brabin the ideal candidate?
Quoted from chaos33
Exactly what I was thinking Rodney.  Absolutely not Brabin.
Well he's got good statistics, but does this tell the true story?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Kng8QBm.png[/img]

He hasn't got a team promoted in our league, only below.  Someone mentioned on another thread that their mate who was a Luton fan said he was tactically clueless if things were not going to plan, sounds familiar?
Posted by: poomehellt, October 4, 2014, 7:51pm; Reply: 18
We could have a mass committee of Trust members in leiu of a manager, where every week there is a poll to choose our starting 11, and another poll to choose our formation, and further polls to choose which players to get rid of and which to resign at end of season :P
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
H'mm well those club match our gates and at the moment better ours, they also receive an extra <250K> just for being in league 2, guess most of that goes on the increase in wages being in a higher league.

Maybe if we was getting 6,000 to 9,000 every game and had the financial clout to just go out and buy the Andre Grays for 30K+ like Gary Brabin did then by all means I guess.

2900 for Newport in the division above and 3200 for Stevenage in the division above. In the short term Newport and Stevenage is clearly the better option. But if you got the wheels rolling here then we have more potential than Stevenage and Newport in my opinion. Sometimes manager make strange decisions but in the long term look like wise ones.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 4, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 1739
2900 for Newport in the division above and 3200 for Stevenage in the division above. In the short term Newport and Stevenage is clearly the better option. But if you got the wheels rolling here then we have more potential than Stevenage and Newport in my opinion. Sometimes manager make strange decisions but in the long term look like wise ones.
Can we equal a league 2 managers salary of those teams? I dunno, do you?
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 4, 2014, 8:39pm; Reply: 21
Could we not do a straight swap with Newcastle and get Mike Ashley off the hook....long as he throws a few hundred thousand in with it as a sweetener to save him a huge pay off?
Posted by: gtfc98, October 4, 2014, 8:40pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Chrisblor
Wouldn't be averse to Ronnie Moore if he'd come here

I would be. The guys a girl private
Posted by: Garth, October 4, 2014, 9:02pm; Reply: 23
Difficult is it not, Burr has not torn any trees up and is at his level with Chester, Brabin was useless at Luton and Moore does not have the necessary experience in this situation, who then God knows but someone young and ambitious from a lower league would be my choice.

The easy part is to sack Hurst, then comes the hard part, his replacement, but IMO its a risk that will need to be taken fairly soon. Good Luck John either way
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, October 4, 2014, 9:25pm; Reply: 24
Just had a look at the LMA website, quite a few big names out of work

Paul Ince
Mark Robbins
Dave Jones
Dean Saunders
Gary Megson
Terry Brown
Micky Adams
Paul buckle
Nick barmby
Paul jewell
George burley
Terry Butcher
Posted by: nightrider, October 4, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 25
I think Fenty not getting rid of Hurst is one of the best things the man has done. Yes he should be sacked but at what cost? If its good for us at the bank then get rid, otherwise stick with him till the end of the season. After all, things can only get better surely!

I'd give the job to Russ Wilcox.... He'll be gone by the end of the month. Got them promoted and gives an articulate interview on the radio regardless of the abuse he's getting,unlike S&H. I can imagine Neilson asking Hurst why he isn't in the team - 'stop asking me daft questions Scott its got nothing to do with you, I get paid to make these sorts of decisions I don't have to give a reason.

Can't believe Scunny fans wanted him sacked after literally 5 games. He got them promoted and now they want rid. They're playing at least one league above their level anyway. I think Paul Hurst is getting off lightly - If he was down the road he'd be long gone

Bring in Russ
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 9:59pm; Reply: 26
Terry Brown got AFC Wimbledon promoted all the way from the Ishtman to the football league so he certainly knows non league. Currently at Margate though where I imagine he will be on a decent wage and he would probably wish to stay down south.

Paul Buckle won promotion with Torquay and also led them to the play-offs the season before but failed at Luton and Bristol Rovers and has got a job in America so that will be a no.

I would be staying well clear of 'big name' manager anyway. They always seem to fail and we need a manager with experience of the conference not the championship plus we wont be able to afford them.
Posted by: LH, October 4, 2014, 10:06pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from 1739

Steve 'one decent season which didn't see him get promoted' Burr

This has to be the most long-winded nickname in football?

Not exactly an inspiring list of replacements otherwise is it? I always back the manager and team but Tuesday and today have switched my thoughts on Hurst. I did think driving back from Gateshead in the play offs that that was convenient time to sack him. Looking at the list of potential candidates it looks as though I might have been right.
Posted by: pizzzza, October 4, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 28
2 pages and I can't believe that no one has mentioned Buckley yet, disappointing.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 4, 2014, 10:30pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from LH

This has to be the most long-winded nickname in football?

Not exactly an inspiring list of replacements otherwise is it? I always back the manager and team but Tuesday and today have switched my thoughts on Hurst. I did think driving back from Gateshead in the play offs that that was convenient time to sack him. Looking at the list of potential candidates it looks as though I might have been right.

We will have to pay compo for Burr so surely we may as well get an even better manager (Mills, Aspin, Penney)

Stevenage fans are calling for Graham  Westleys head which would be an excellent  appointment   if he was to go or maybe we could persuade him to jump before he is pushed.

I have just realised Hurst might not even be sacked though and win every game till the end of the season and see us promoted.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, October 4, 2014, 10:52pm; Reply: 30
All well and good discussing names, but can any of them work a computer?
Posted by: kingster72, October 4, 2014, 11:00pm; Reply: 31
Gary Mills, Neil Aspin, Steve Burr, Dean Saunders, Neil Redfearn, or Nick Barmby should be the sort of names we should look at.  All seem to have the right mentality.  I think Burr critisised Fenty when approached before, so maybe he'd be wise not to work for the fool we'd have in charge of hiring!
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 4, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from 1739

We will have to pay compo for Burr so surely we may as well get an even better manager (Mills, Aspin, Penney)

Stevenage fans are calling for Graham  Westleys head which would be an excellent  appointment   if he was to go or maybe we could persuade him to jump before he is pushed.

I have just realised Hurst might not even be sacked though and win every game till the end of the season and see us promoted.

;D you're crazy

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/166j28x.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: mrsd, October 4, 2014, 11:10pm; Reply: 33
I assume all these people calling for Hurst's head are the same ones who were chanting Paul Hurst's Black and White army at Halifax. Fans are about as consistent as the team.
Posted by: Grimal, October 4, 2014, 11:12pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from kingster72
Gary Mills, Neil Aspin, Steve Burr, Dean Saunders, Neil Redfearn, or Nick Barmby should be the sort of names we should look at.  All seem to have the right mentality.  I think Burr critisised Fenty when approached before, so maybe he'd be wise not to work for the fool we'd have in charge of hiring!

Can you just remind me who was the manager who's team dismantled both Steve Burr's Chester and Gary Mills Gateshead team just a few weeks ago ?.

Posted by: Abdul19, October 4, 2014, 11:15pm; Reply: 35
All well and good discussing names, but can any of them work a computer?

;D
Posted by: Grimal, October 4, 2014, 11:22pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from poomehellt
We could have a mass committee of Trust members in leiu of a manager, where every week there is a poll to choose our starting 11, and another poll to choose our formation, and further polls to choose which players to get rid of and which to resign at end of season :P

And entice a billionaire sugar daddy that is stupid enough to let this mass committee of trust members to run his money into the drain within half a season.  yeh ! dream on..

Posted by: Grimal, October 4, 2014, 11:37pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from mrsd
I assume all these people calling for Hurst's head are the same ones who were chanting Paul Hurst's Black and White army at Halifax. Fans are about as consistent as the team.

And I could hear them chanting the same today at Dartford.

Posted by: Stevie Saunders, October 4, 2014, 11:37pm; Reply: 38
Why the hell would Nick Barmby want to come to a non league club?
Why the hell would a failure at Stevenage be an excellent appointment for us?
Neil Redfearn - Leeds to non league???

We were never that much of an attraction for managers and players when we were good, let alone now

That's why we took a punt on two blokes from Boston United; prior to those two the youth team boss; prior to that to a bloke who had fallen out with most chairmen he'd worked for etc etc etc

Those appts were partly as a result of how far we had slumped.

Get real folks - it will be Doig caretaker (if Hurst gets the boot) or a 'cheap' journeyman (Martin Foyle type) - would be very surprised if it's a high flyer in Conference or a mid-30s type looking for a first job on managerial ladder (that would be my choice...something totally different to freshen it up)
Posted by: RichMariner, October 5, 2014, 12:01am; Reply: 39
Maybe the reason why we're all struggling to suggest reasonable and realistic candidates for the job is because we already have a fairly strong manager in charge.

Usually we're facing relegation when we sack a manager, so any other name seems to be a better option than the one currently in charge.

At the moment we're discussing the departure of a manager who has a pretty decent win ratio in charge of Town. But it does seem like we're on the slide now. We've been regressing as a team, and 5 wins from 14 games isn't good enough to compete for promotion.

His win ratio is declining and we can't score enough. Worryingly, there's no real sign that Hurst can get the best out of his strikers. Constant tinkering and insisting on playing a misfiring target man might be his undoing.
Posted by: Vance Warner, October 5, 2014, 1:26am; Reply: 40
Russell Slade? Oh hang on we had him and our chairman reacted to this forum and didn't keep him. Embarrassing  how Tory Boy says that councillors are easily influenced by the ticks and crosses on the telegraph website regarding the new stadium - gives an indication into how shrivelled his balls are. I don't agree with the personal attacks about Hurst (his interview style is irrelevant) but one thing is consistent  over the last 10 years. Why has Fenty escaped criticism? Won't be long before teams who reformed are above us. Stop logging on this forum JF, lose your ego and do what is best for this great club - find someone who cares, not someone who sees it as an opportunity to raise their profile and give their daughters a job. Your Mariners Pies are alright but they're on offer for a reason.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, October 5, 2014, 9:56am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Vance Warner
Russell Slade? Oh hang on we had him and our chairman reacted to this forum and didn't keep him. Embarrassing  how Tory Boy says that councillors are easily influenced by the ticks and crosses on the telegraph website regarding the new stadium - gives an indication into how shrivelled his balls are. I don't agree with the personal attacks about Hurst (his interview style is irrelevant) but one thing is consistent  over the last 10 years. Why has Fenty escaped criticism? Won't be long before teams who reformed are above us. Stop logging on this forum JF, lose your ego and do what is best for this great club - find someone who cares, not someone who sees it as an opportunity to raise their profile and give their daughters a job. Your Mariners Pies are alright but they're on offer for a reason.

So you don't agree with personal attacks on Hurst but it's ok to do same to Fenty?  How about no personal attacks on anyone?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 5, 2014, 10:11am; Reply: 42
not Neil Aspin

done good at Halifax but play boring football.

why would Mills want to leave a good Gateshead team ?

it would have to be someone without a job...

but for now, we have a manager, and we need to back the TEAM every game as i believe we have a team that actually want to play for the club
Posted by: Richard Cranium, October 5, 2014, 10:15am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
not Neil Aspin

but for now, we have a manager, and we need to back the TEAM every game as i believe we have a team that actually want to play for the club
Well said

Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 10:22am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
not Neil Aspin

I couldn't care about what style of football we play providing they get us back into the football league. Luton, Fleetwood, Mansfield and Crawley never played attractive football and managed to win the league. Kiddy and Wrexham a few seasons ago were the best footballing teams in this division and they are still down here.

Mills may want to leave Gateshead as we have a lot more potential. Treble the size of there gates and a much bigger pedigree. Could we offer him a similar deal to what he is on now?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Just had a look at the LMA website, quite a few big names out of work

Paul Ince
Mark Robbins
Dave Jones
Dean Saunders
Gary Megson
Terry Brown
Micky Adams
Paul buckle
Nick barmby
Paul jewell
George burley
Terry Butcher

Of those, the only arguably achiveable targets would be Mark Robins (Done okay I think), Dean Saunders (knows the league too), Micky Adams (My personal choice, perhaps I'm kidding myself), Paul Buckle (no better than what we have I'd suggest), Nick Barmby (Local links, but he's an unproven mudrat so not for me), Paul Jewell (I still haven't forgiven him for hitting the bar at Oxford in about 1995!).
Posted by: Doubled, October 5, 2014, 10:50am; Reply: 46
What is Hope Powell doing these days?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 11:09am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Doubled
What is Hope Powell doing these days?

Great call...though I'd be too scared to read the Fishy if it happened.
Posted by: Teesknees, October 5, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 48
Christ, the blokes not sacked yet!

You're like relatives at a funeral arguing over who gets what when the guys still warm!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 5, 2014, 11:20am; Reply: 49
Dean Saunders would be an excellent appointment - he built a very good team at Wrexham. Though I'm still hoping, rather than expecting, that Hurst will get us winning and climbing the table.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 11:32am; Reply: 50
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Dean Saunders would be an excellent appointment - he built a very good team at Wrexham. Though I'm still hoping, rather than expecting, that Hurst will get us winning and climbing the table.

Took him 4 seasons for him to make a squad of the quality. In his first season they finished 11th, second season he finished 10th. Third season his side got to the play-offs but got beat 5-1 on aggregate by Luton. And then in his 4th season he joined Donny.  41 % win ratio at Wrexham. For me my top 4 targets would be Neil Aspin, Gary Mills, Graham Westley and Dave Penney.
Posted by: nightrider, October 5, 2014, 1:32pm; Reply: 51
Not easy to find a replacement when the club finished 3rd last season. Two managers were better than PH - One had a lot of money to spend.

After reading the suggestions, I don't think many if any would be interested. Westley would be my pick. Why haven't any lower league managers been touted
Posted by: Abdul19, October 5, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 52
Anyone who moaned about the cynicism of Gateshead will love watching a Westley team!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 5, 2014, 1:46pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Abdul19
Anyone who moaned about the cynicism of Gateshead will love watching a Westley team!

Exactly my thoughts. Not for me thanks.

Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from 75

Of those, the only arguably achiveable targets would be Mark Robins (Done okay I think), Dean Saunders (knows the league too), Micky Adams (My personal choice, perhaps I'm kidding myself), Paul Buckle (no better than what we have I'd suggest), Nick Barmby (Local links, but he's an unproven mudrat so not for me), Paul Jewell (I still haven't forgiven him for hitting the bar at Oxford in about 1995!).

You are joking right?  Even if we could afford them most of the above will not be interested in coming to a run down poxy non league club, it would finish any future career prospect if they come here and fail.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 2:07pm; Reply: 55
I couldn't give a toss about the style of football we play. People are asking way to much if they want us to play a certain style and get us promotion. Playing hoof ball and being dirty tw@t like Crawley, Mansfield and Fleetwood and getting promotion would be fantastic.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 5, 2014, 2:11pm; Reply: 56
Here's a name for you - Garry Flitcroft at Chorley.

He's taken them from the Northern Premier League Division 1 North to the Conference North (two promotions) and currently has them 3rd in the table.

We shouldn't really be having this conversation because Hurst is still our manager and I believe we'll win on Tuesday night and he'll continue in the job.

But Flitcroft has caught my eye before. He and his brother (at Bury) are making good managers.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, October 5, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 57
The Grimsby job must be one of English poisoned chalice's. The bloke hasn't even been sacked (I don't think he will either.) I was hoping like some here he and the club would have parted company in the summer. Having said that, Would Macca and Pearson etc signed for another year? I think not.

If the Board decide a change is needed, I'd like to throw the name Graham Turner out there.
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 2:29pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The Grimsby job must be one of English poisoned chalice's. The bloke hasn't even been sacked (I don't think he will either.) I was hoping like some here he and the club would have parted company in the summer. Having said that, Would Macca and Pearson etc signed for another year? I think not.

If the Board decide a change is needed, I'd like to throw the name Graham Turner out there.

Yeah that's a good shout with Ron Atkinson as assistant manager we would urine this league.
Posted by: Perkins, October 5, 2014, 2:38pm; Reply: 59
Whilst some of the names mentioned would appear attractive (most of them unattractive) we know it aint gonna happen. You just KNOW that if and when Hurst gets his cards, Doig will no doubt be the one to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 2:48pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Not a bad shout. Won promotion out of this league with Hereford in 2005
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 5, 2014, 3:06pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from 1739
I couldn't give a toss about the style of football we play. People are asking way to much if they want us to play a certain style and get us promotion. Playing hoof ball and being dirty tw@t like Crawley, Mansfield and Fleetwood and getting promotion would be fantastic.

The problem is that it doesn't guarantee promotion. The option isn't get promoted playing dirty/hoofball or stay down trying to play "good" football. The choice is simply between the two styles.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, October 5, 2014, 3:19pm; Reply: 62
Just go on PNE board and ask them about Westley! He played route one and the players had no respect for him. Went to game after he was sacked and the players played with freedom.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 3:23pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

The problem is that it doesn't guarantee promotion. The option isn't get promoted playing dirty/hoofball or stay down trying to play "good" football. The choice is simply between the two styles.

The option is to get promotion regardless of how we play and what style we chose. That is the only way on how I will judge success and many other fans will, not the style of football, our cup runs, the profit/ losses we make.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 5, 2014, 3:25pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Just go on PNE board and ask them about Westley! He played route one and the players had no respect for him. Went to game after he was sacked and the players played with freedom.

he signed elding on loan didn't he? lol
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 3:28pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Fcukthescunts

Then how did he achieve promotion from this league. I couldn't care whether managers cant do it in league 1 or the championship, if they have done it in this league then that is what I am bothered about. League 1 may have been too much of a step up for him but if a manager cant do it in league 1 then we can worry about that when we are playing league 1 football.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 5, 2014, 3:30pm; Reply: 66
Garry Hill done a excellent job at Woking so far over the last few seasons, improving every year...
Posted by: Youngy, October 5, 2014, 4:07pm; Reply: 67
How about James Beattie? Did a good job keeping Accrington up last season. Left as he felt he couldn't take them any further. Also best friends with Gary Croft.

I would love us to push the boat out for Wayne Burnett but can't see it
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 5, 2014, 4:35pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from 1739

The option is to get promotion regardless of how we play and what style we chose. That is the only way on how I will judge success and many other fans will, not the style of football, our cup runs, the profit/ losses we make.

My point was that style of play is important to many people. Hurst is seen as too negative by many/most fans and it would be better to have a most exciting attacking style of play. That is a choice that can be made. You cannot simply choose the option of promotion!

Posted by: arryarryarry, October 5, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Youngy
How about James Beattie? Did a good job keeping Accrington up last season. Left as he felt he couldn't take them any further. Also best friends with Gary Croft.

I would love us to push the boat out for Wayne Burnett but can't see it

Just checked and it isn't 1st April so you must have another reason for suggesting that as Accrington are doing better since he left and listening to his comments when he was a summariser on BT Sport he was more boring than Hurst.

This season he had won 1 game from 7, since he left they have won 4 from 5.

He had had a 28% win ratio.

No thanks.

Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 4:49pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

My point was that style of play is important to many people. Hurst is seen as too negative by many/most fans and it would be better to have a most exciting attacking style of play. That is a choice that can be made. You cannot simply choose the option of promotion!

Well then them fans are asking to much, the only thing what should matter is results and. If Hurst was playing negative football  and getting results then people wouldn't be bothered. The facts are that he isn't getting results. I don't think that it really matters if he was playing 'good football' or not. Its a results based business and he isn't getting them. Playing good football or boring dull football wont make a difference in whether people want to attend BP or not, results will though.
Posted by: rancido, October 5, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Perkins
Whilst some of the names mentioned would appear attractive (most of them unattractive) we know it aint gonna happen. You just KNOW that if and when Hurst gets his cards, Doig will no doubt be the one to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

It might work if he gets the hairs on the back of the players necks stand up!
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 5, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 72
I think it's hard to pick out names at this stage. For starters Paul Hurst is still our manager and whether we like it or not I can't see that changing any time soon. Also we don't know who would be interested, it's alright saying we should approach this manager or that, but are we that much of an attractive option? It's also difficult to select a new boss based on his record alone. He might have a very good cv, but show little in the interview. On the other hand a manager who hasn't the best numbers on paper might really impress face to face and say all the right things.

Choosing a new man to take the helm could be a tough call if the scenario arises. Do we trust the men making the decisions? Judging on their track records alone I'm not sure I do.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, October 5, 2014, 5:46pm; Reply: 73
Andy Morrell? Did quite well with Wrexham on a very limited budget.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 5, 2014, 5:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Andy Morrell? Did quite well with Wrexham on a very limited budget.

No way. Did you see how bad Wrexham were last season? He has gone to Tamworth anyway. Mills or Aspin would be my top 2 targets.
Posted by: Tom13, October 5, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Vance Warner

Is that the same Russell Slade on his way to Cardiff?
Posted by: Tom13, October 5, 2014, 6:01pm; Reply: 76
I'd agree with Flitcroft, the only one mentioned so far that is remotely interesting. While I'm not suggesting we should be talking about this, nor that Hurst should/shouldn't be sacked immediately, but I'm not really sure any of the proposed candidates are any better than Hurst so our only hopes would be pinned on Doig being good enough.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 5, 2014, 6:08pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from arryarryarry

Just checked and it isn't 1st April so you must have another reason for suggesting that as Accrington are doing better since he left and listening to his comments when he was a summariser on BT Sport he was more boring than Hurst.

This season he had won 1 game from 7, since he left they have won 4 from 5.

He had had a 28% win ratio.

No thanks.

Yes but,

He paid the clubs £20,000 tax bill out of his own pocket. 8)

Posted by: promotion plaice, October 5, 2014, 8:49pm; Reply: 78
It's sad to say but all optimism for this season has evaporated away and the only way to give the fans any hope is for a fresh start at the top.
Not only would it take the heat off John Fenty but the fans would be more tolerant of the new regime knowing it takes time, which the old regime has had more than enough of, and any fans thinking of staying away might reconsider.
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, October 6, 2014, 1:15pm; Reply: 79
Paul Hurst is still the manager so we can hope that he gets it right.Personally I have more optimism about that than faith in the judgement of the man or men who would be tasked to replace him.After all the track record of appointments does not inspire any confidence.Try to keep the faith.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 6, 2014, 3:40pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
Paul Hurst is still the manager so we can hope that he gets it right.Personally I have more optimism about that than faith in the judgement of the man or men who would be tasked to replace him.After all the track record of appointments does not inspire any confidence.Try to keep the faith.

The board will decide who the next manager will be,

At the moment there are 4 men on the board,

3 out of the 4 have never appointed any town manager having only joined the board in the last year or so.
Posted by: fishkeeper, October 6, 2014, 6:26pm; Reply: 81
it should be lee evans at least he is a proper comedian not just a so called manager who picks a team like one
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 6, 2014, 9:47pm; Reply: 82
I had a number of dealings with Adams when he was at Forest, unless he's changed, he's a particularly odious little excrement.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 7, 2014, 12:01am; Reply: 83
Who's the bloke at North Ferriby?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 7, 2014, 10:10am; Reply: 84
Quoted from grimsby pete

3 out of the 4 have never appointed any town manager having only joined the board in the last year or so.

Which is a good thing because none recently have been any good
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 7, 2014, 2:17pm; Reply: 85
How about a black manager I don't know who's available but we've not had one of these yet plus it might keep Paul Ince quite for a bit if we go down the positive discrimination route.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 7, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from 2578
How about a black manager I don't know who's available but we've not had one of these yet plus it might keep Paul Ince quite for a bit if we go down the positive discrimination route.

;D

Hope Powell would be the ultimate. Female, black and gay. It would at least generate some interest.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 7, 2014, 3:19pm; Reply: 87
We haven't had one of these yet!!!!!!

Oh dear
Posted by: BIGChris, October 7, 2014, 3:35pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from grimsby pete

Five men on the board
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 7, 2014, 3:40pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from BIGChris

Five men on the board

Who is the other one Chris ?

John + 2 Trust + lawyer or accountant man ( sorry forgot his name )
Posted by: Garth, October 7, 2014, 3:44pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from BIGChris

Five men on the board

Went to mow the meadow
Five men Four men Two men One man and his dog
Went to mow the meadow

[b]Sorry Chris, just lightening things up a bit ;D ;D

Posted by: bluebottle, October 7, 2014, 3:46pm; Reply: 91
Actually made me laugh out loud, love it.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 7, 2014, 3:48pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Garth

Went to mow the meadow
Went to mow the meadow

;D

Shouldn't there be an "i" in dog though?

Posted by: BIGChris, October 7, 2014, 3:53pm; Reply: 93
Michael Chapman
Philip Day
John Fenty
Dave Roberts
Jon Wood
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 7, 2014, 3:58pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from BIGChris
Michael Chapman
Philip Day
John Fenty
Dave Roberts
Jon Wood

Thanks Chris,

You just beat me to it, I was going to impress you ,

I googled it and came up with the same names. :)
Posted by: Hagrid, October 7, 2014, 3:59pm; Reply: 95
[quote=14]Michael Chapman
Philip Day
John Fenty
Dave Roberts
Jon Wood
Hagrid

I wouldnt intercourse up! but this is irrelavant, we dont need a new manager ( yet) Hurst is still here and hope he gets the win tonight, come on town!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 7, 2014, 4:38pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Garth

Went to mow the meadow
Went to mow the meadow

No man number 3????
Posted by: rancido, October 7, 2014, 5:01pm; Reply: 97
Regardless of who we get ( providing PH is sacked ) it will still be a gamble. Since I've been watching town the two most successful managers seem to have been Lawrie Mac and Buckley 1 & 2. Both appointments were generally slated by the fans at the time. Lawrie Macs previous appointment had been a relegation season at Doncaster and wasn't a " proper footballer" - these were general comments made at the time. AB came from a non-league team and the general consensus seemed to be ( certainly from letters in the GET at the time ) that we were gearing up for non-league football. All doubters proved to be wrong but both appointments were gambles.
When Woods went many opinions on The Fishy seemed to be that we needed a " young, hungry for success manager with non-league experience". We duly got two managers who were young, certainly hungry for success, had non-league experience with two promotions under their belts and were on course for another with Boston. For many we got what we wanted.
What is a fact is that because a manager is a success/failure at one club then it is no guarantee he will be the same at another.
Posted by: Garth, October 7, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

No man number 3????

Freeman was released some time ago, went to Lincoln I think
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 7, 2014, 5:24pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from rancido
Regardless of who we get ( providing PH is sacked ) it will still be a gamble. Since I've been watching town the two most successful managers seem to have been Lawrie Mac and Buckley 1 & 2. Both appointments were generally slated by the fans at the time. Lawrie Macs previous appointment had been a relegation season at Doncaster and wasn't a " proper footballer" - these were general comments made at the time. AB came from a non-league team and the general consensus seemed to be ( certainly from letters in the GET at the time ) that we were gearing up for non-league football. All doubters proved to be wrong but both appointments were gambles.
When Woods went many opinions on The Fishy seemed to be that we needed a " young, hungry for success manager with non-league experience". We duly got two managers who were young, certainly hungry for success, had non-league experience with two promotions under their belts and were on course for another with Boston. For many we got what we wanted.
What is a fact is that because a manager is a success/failure at one club then it is no guarantee he will be the same at another.

Certainly the last bit is very true. I for one was quite keen on the dynamic duo.

McMenemy got off to a flier though really and very quickly endeared himself to the supporters by taking the players down dock to show them real workers. His all action effort style was evident from day one. I don't know about Buckley Mk1. My impression from memory is that fans wanted a new start. The age old clamour for a player manager had fallen flat. We had a squad in single figures when Buckley and Arthur Mann arrived and I think that people were more of the opinion that he would get successful non-league players and turn them into league players. Tillson and Alexander were good examples. You are definitely right though, success or failure in one club is not always a guarantee for the next job.

Posted by: rancido, October 8, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 100

Certainly the last bit is very true. I for one was quite keen on the dynamic duo.

McMenemy got off to a flier though really and very quickly endeared himself to the supporters by taking the players down dock to show them real workers. His all action effort style was evident from day one. I don't know about Buckley Mk1. My impression from memory is that fans wanted a new start. The age old clamour for a player manager had fallen flat. We had a squad in single figures when Buckley and Arthur Mann arrived and I think that people were more of the opinion that he would get successful non-league players and turn them into league players. Tillson and Alexander were good examples. You are definitely right though, success or failure in one club is not always a guarantee for the next job.

The general consensus seemed to be the opposite! Most of the fans I knew at the time were dismayed at the number of non-league players that were signed with the exception of John Cockerill , probably because who is father was. Admittedly Lawrie Mac got off to a good start but his original appointment wasn't viewed with any enthusiasm especially as he had been sacked by Doncaster after getting them relegated. Most of the fans I knew at the time viewed it as a backward step.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 8, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 101
Then again, we could just have an approach where we throw money at stuff hoping it works ala lennie lawrence
Posted by: Grimal, October 8, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 102
I've been sat here on the Fishy looking at loads of names that members have been putting forward as their choice to be Town Manager. No two persons can agree on the same name forwarded,some want a young up and coming manager from lower divisions,others want out of work journey men and others want a manager that has been around and been sucessful at this level. The difficulty being that some won't want to come here. others wouldn't be wanted here for various reasons and others have a safe position with the clubs they now manage.All I can say is that it must be a hell of a job for a board of directors to get the right man.There's no guarantee a manager that's done well at a certain club would do as well at another.
I personally would like to see a proven attack minded coach (anyone got suggestions on who would fit the bill ?) on the staff at Town and it made very clear to a stubborn PH that this is the way forward. We can all see that any coaching at the moment is purely defence minded. UTM.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 8, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from rancido

The general consensus seemed to be the opposite! Most of the fans I knew at the time were dismayed at the number of non-league players that were signed with the exception of John Cockerill , probably because who is father was. Admittedly Lawrie Mac got off to a good start but his original appointment wasn't viewed with any enthusiasm especially as he had been sacked by Doncaster after getting them relegated. Most of the fans I knew at the time viewed it as a backward step.

Opinions were obviously as divided then as they are now. ;D

Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 2:14pm